News:

Dreamtheaterforums.org is a place of peace.  ...except when it is a place of BEING ON FIRE!!!

Main Menu

Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...

Started by Jamesman42, October 29, 2023, 06:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sacul

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Jamesman42

I'm off to church, here it is updated

lonestar   This is Dream Theater if Jordan Rudes took over the band.
tomislav   Old school feels and no shame in it.
sacul   Normally don't like spoken word type stuff over music, but this might become an exception.
4   Listening to this as the edible kicked in was like rewatching a dream and wondering what the fuck is going on.
5   It puts me in a soaring atmosphere with a voiceless rush.
ariich   It led me from a soothing journey to emotional peaks.
7   Instrumental section is really beautiful, I wouldn't mind a song of just that.
TAC   I listen to this and think I am dreaming of mythical beings.
9   I know other songs of theirs, and this is off from what I like about them.
10   How much music can one song hold?
11   Epic sounds to headbang to.
Puppies   A stripped down Frost* sorta song with nice atmosphere.
Stadler   A soulful voice for a group that sounds displaced out of time.
jingle.manly.man   A smooth river to explore with no words to show.
KingPats   A slow rock grower of spooky sorts.
\o\ lol /o/

jingle.boy

Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

jingle.boy

Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

jingle.boy

Periphery - not at all what I was expecting.  That was pretty sweet - at least, the first 4:40 was.  Back half wasn't awful, but holy crap was this a tale of two songs.

ariich

Quote from: jingle.boy on December 11, 2023, 07:39:38 AM
Periphery - not at all what I was expecting.  That was pretty sweet - at least, the first 4:40 was.  Back half wasn't awful, but holy crap was this a tale of two songs.

The song I sent in the last roulette (Lune) might be more to your tastes. Not as stripped back as the first half of Satellites, but nothing as heavy as some of the moments in the second half.

I'm expecting this to be the only repeat artist I send this time around.

EDITED for auto-correct nonsense from my phone. :lol

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

jingle.boy

Jamesman42

This should be the last stressful and full week for me for quite some time. I need a few more days before I have results and then I should be more consistent after that. Sorry for being a little aloof, life comes at you fast.

lonestar   This is Dream Theater if Jordan Rudes took over the band.
tomislav   Old school feels and no shame in it.
sacul   Normally don't like spoken word type stuff over music, but this might become an exception.
4   Listening to this as the edible kicked in was like rewatching a dream and wondering what the fuck is going on.
5   It puts me in a soaring atmosphere with a voiceless rush.
ariich   It led me from a soothing journey to emotional peaks.
7   Instrumental section is really beautiful, I wouldn't mind a song of just that.
TAC   I listen to this and think I am dreaming of mythical beings.
9   I know other songs of theirs, and this is off from what I like about them.
10   How much music can one song hold?
vmads   Epic sounds to headbang to.
Puppies   A stripped down Frost* sorta song with nice atmosphere.
Stadler   A soulful voice for a group that sounds displaced out of time.
jingle.manly.man   A smooth river to explore with no words to show.
KingPats   A slow rock grower of spooky sorts.
\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

Quote from: Stadler on January 20, 2022, 12:15:29 PMLonestar, speaking wise.  :)

#Stadler/Hunnus2024

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Jamesman42

Thanks :biggrin: I am enjoying a ton of good music too, I just wish time wasn't so scarce :lol
\o\ lol /o/

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

Jamesman42

Who sent what!

IKEJIRIKE – Breaking the Limit   lonestar   This is Dream Theater if Jordan Rudes took over the band.

Unto Others – Jackie   Tomislav   Old school feels and no shame in it.

The Comet is Coming – Blood of the Past   Sacul   Normally don't like spoken word type stuff over music, but this might become an exception.

Ekcle – Within the Palms of a God   ReaperKK   Listening to this as the edible kicked in was like rewatching a dream and wondering what the fuck is going on.

we.own.the.sky – This Space Between Us   romdrums   It puts me in a soaring atmosphere with a voiceless rush.

Periphery – Satellites   Ariich   It led me from a soothing journey to emotional peaks.

Autumn – Stacked Smoke   LithoJazzoSphere   Instrumental section is really beautiful, I wouldn't mind a song of just that.

Unto Others – Dragon, Why Do You Cry?   TAC   I listen to this and think I am dreaming of mythical beings.

Coldplay – Orphans   faizoff   I know other songs of theirs, and this is off from what I like about them.

Thank You Scientist – Terraformer   luke   How much music can one song hold?

Lacuna Coil – Veneficium   vmads   Epic sounds to headbang to.

Lonely Robot – How Bright is the Sun?   Puppies   A stripped down Frost* sorta song with nice atmosphere.

Rival Sons – Feral Roots   Stadler   A soulful voice for a group that sounds displaced out of time.

Soren Andersen – Satori   jingle.boy   A smooth river to explore with no words to show.

RPWL – Welcome to the Freak Show   King King   A slow rock grower of spooky sorts.

QUICK EDIT: Is there a way to evenly space things out on here? I know I could try to find it but I don't have the time, and this post is sloppy.
\o\ lol /o/

jingle.boy

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

LithoJazzoSphere

Can't really trust your impressions because that could still easily mean last place,  :lol but that's an interesting way to think of it.  Hopefully it doesn't mean the vocals weigh it down for you, but if the more instrumental sections are more piquant (and you could argue there's 2-4 of them, so I'm not sure which one) then there's other songs that you would potentially like more. 

TAC

Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on December 12, 2023, 02:16:39 PM
Can't really trust your impressions because that could still easily mean last place,  :lol

Yup. Gives me no clue how it's going to shake out. :lol

Jamesman42

Tomorrow! This week killed me. By far the worst semester in my 7 years at this school. Starting tomorrow I am back to normal.
\o\ lol /o/

ReaperKK

jingle.boy

Lonk

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

Quote from: Stadler on January 20, 2022, 12:15:29 PMLonestar, speaking wise.  :)

#Stadler/Hunnus2024

Jamesman42

Round 5 Results!

Lonely Robot – How Bright is the Sun?   Puppies   9   

Grower of the round, I was driving home from work when this song hit me hard. The chorus is absolute perfection - what I mean is that the lyrics and music complement each other so well. The whole song is just excellent as well.

Periphery – Satellites   Ariich   8.8   

This song is really great, the first half is a open space of nice atmosphere. So many nice little things going on there. It pretty abruptly ends halfway through the song, and the heavier second half is a little jarring for the few listens. It grew on me a lot, and I got to pick out cool things going on there as well. With the jarring part and the song maybe going on a little too long for my taste, this hits a 9. It's still great and I looked forward to it when it came on.

IKEJIRIKE – Breaking the Limit   lonestar   8.7   

I get some cool DT instrumental vibes from this song, and other prog rock/metal band vibes as well. Maybe DT isn't what I mean, maybe Frost*, there's something that feels familiar here, maybe it's something sent from another round of my roulettes. Anyway, yeah I love this stuff, it flows great, everyone shines here

Ekcle – Within the Palms of a God   ReaperKK   8.6   

That first minute is intensely good shit. It goes into the electronic part which is cool but I am glad it doesn't go on for too long. Nice flow into the piano section. Three phases, 2 of which are beautiful and the third which is appreciated and cool. It feels like 3 mini-songs in one almost. It also reminds me of music I used to make in my 20s (minus the electronic part).

we.own.the.sky – This Space Between Us   romdrums   8.6   

A great post-rock/metal sorta song, as mentioned I love this sort of stuff. Great atmospheres and storytelling through the instruments. The ending gave some Cloudkicker vibes so that boosted this song a bit more for me as well.

Rival Sons – Feral Roots   Stadler   8.6   

Nice tune, a welcome simpler tune positioned nicely in the playlist. The chorus is just great, and the verse melody is nice. And that voice. Man. He's got soul.

Unto Others – Jackie   Tomislav   8.5   

Same rating as the other song by them, and for pretty much the same reasons. I will add that the chorus is catchy as fuck.

Autumn – Stacked Smoke   LithoJazzoSphere   8.5   

This is probably one of the best female fronted bands you have sent me yet, at least this song is. The repeating stacking smoke chorus with some great music beneath feels unique enough and grooves well. Song flows well, the middle section has a especially great atmosphere to it as well.

Unto Others – Dragon, Why Do You Cry?   TAC   8.5   

The vocals threw me off at first if I am being completely honest, and I wasn't liking them. But this song grew on me a lot. It got stuck in my head a lot. Really cool rock song with interesting lyrics and the vocals really make the song a notch higher once you accept them (maybe it's just me about those vocals).

Lacuna Coil – Veneficium   vmads   8.5   

When that epic operatic intro starts, I know what I am in for, and it goes well. The vocals keep going as the harsh vocals come in, and that is really cool. This could have been a disaster of song, but they did a great job making this song feel like a grand experience. The vocals on every part of this song elevate it. Also, love that this came right after the Coldplay song on the list, made me chuckle every time.

Soren Andersen – Satori   jingle.boy   8.5   

This was the first song in the playlist and it was a good way to start it off because it's easy to listen to and sounds great. I really like stuff like this, it's good for driving or working in my classroom during prep. The guitar leading the song throughout lends to a nice journey with no frills.

RPWL – Welcome to the Freak Show   King King   8.4   

Nice song, it has a cool vibe, I like that the bass comes through nicely in what I assume is the prechorus. It would score higher but it feels like it's missing something to elevate it to that next level. So, a good song, no complaints, but nothing stands out much. But that isn't a bad thing.

Coldplay – Orphans   faizoff   8.1   

First, I like Coldplay, at least the songs I have heard mostly. And the chorus is super catchy, it was stuck in my head a lot. But this might be a case where I like a band's older material and this new stuff doesn't quite hit for me. It's a fine song, has that Coldplay feel, it just doesn't do it for me like a song like The Scientist or In My Place or Clocks.

The Comet is Coming – Blood of the Past   Sacul   7.8   

I found the music to be pretty good, but for me, the spoken word part is just not my jam and the song felt excessively long. Sorry man, this one missed the mark for me.

Thank You Scientist – Terraformer   luke   7.7   

I don't know what instrument is making that sliding sort of sound, but it did not do it for me. It's appreciated for sounding like a cool idea but its execution fell flat. The vocals remind me of early Coheed and that is another knock against it. I tried to like this, and there are some things to like, but it gets a no from me dawg.

Overall Impressions: This was a sweet playlist overall, got some nice different stuff.

To talk briefly about why this round took so long, I believe I was battling some depressive thoughts the last few weeks. I love my job and the school I work at, but this year so far has not been it. It has felt like a constant struggle to keep up with the demands of my job, and the kids themselves this year are a lot more unruly than I usually get. I also don't get my planning period to myself this year, or the last 3 years really, so my room is buzzing with noise all day long, and coupling that with having two very young children who also love to make noise and have all the energy has burnt me out. Every day, I would hardly have time to myself or no noise until 8pm. Next semester should see some changes, and winter break will be a nice break, because I love my children but I was burnt out each day before they came home from daycare. The music you guys have been sending has been a nice outlet and something to look forward to that isn't anything I just mentioned. I still have 3 days of work before winter break but they are exam days and generally easier than a normal school day. I am already feeling the weight of this semester lifting off of me as these last few days fizzle out.

Standings
Soon...

Round 6 is open, send a song from 2020, and fuck you Covid! Please get them by Monday!
\o\ lol /o/

ReaperKK

I'm glad you dug and Ekcle, and I really hope you have some great holiday time with the family, much :heart to you James.

TAC

Quote from: Jamesman42 on December 16, 2023, 07:11:53 AM
I love my job and the school I work at, but this year so far has not been it. It has felt like a constant struggle to keep up with the demands of my job, and the kids themselves this year are a lot more unruly than I usually get. I also don't get my planning period to myself this year, or the last 3 years really, so my room is buzzing with noise all day long

I can imagine that this is an extremely underrated part of your day.