Jamesman Roulette 3.0 - Post-roulette: And now I go exploring...

Started by Jamesman42, October 29, 2023, 06:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Puppies_On_Acid

Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Jamesman42

New page (for me)

Andrew W. K. – Everybody Sins   (Luke)   When it's time to rock, we will rock hard.
   2   Trippy and spacey, good for a high time.
   3   This song isn't afraid to just do whatever it wants. A lot of contrasts and variety.
The L.I.F.E. Project – A World on Fire   (jingle.human)   This song is loud and that woman is full of emotive singing.
Biffy Clyro – Unknown Male 01   (King)   This is real good, a mix of melody and crunching guitars.
   6   This is chill progressive rock and I am chilling.
Khemmis – House of Cadmus   (Litho)   Thick mix, Mastodon-like vocals (before the growls), great guitar atmosphere - this one is immediately hitting nicely.
Dvne – Mleccha   (Ariich)   There was an Alcest vibe in part of this, so I've got my eye on it.
Others by No One – Where Stories Come From   (TAQ)   Really sleek sound, reminds me of DTP kinda.
Iron Maiden – The Writing on the Wall   (faizoff)   Nothing surprising from a very famous band, but it still hits good.
   11   Not what I expected from a band that got pretty big in my teenage years (20 years ago), more otherworldly than just dealing with the pain.
   12   I enjoyed getting lost in this static awe.
   13   Groovy and harsh, a good mix of the two.
   14   A song about covid and the progress made since?
Cheap Trick – The Summer Looks Good on You   (stadler)   A nice song for the warmer times, driving to the beach and just letting this blast.
\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

TAC

Quote from: Jamesman42 on December 30, 2023, 04:38:38 PM

Others by No One – Where Stories Come From   (TAQ)   Really sleek sound, reminds me of DTP kinda.

I hope you like DTP! ;D

I know it's not exactly like Cosmic, which you sent me, but I was going for that kind of vibe with this and hoping it'd appeal to you.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

LithoJazzoSphere

Wasn't Devin one of his favorite discoveries of the first roulette this year?

Sacul

Jamesman42

Quote from: TAC on December 30, 2023, 05:06:10 PM
Quote from: Jamesman42 on December 30, 2023, 04:38:38 PM

I hope you like DTP! ;D

I know it's not exactly like Cosmic, which you sent me, but I was going for that kind of vibe with this and hoping it'd appeal to you.

I like the side of DTP that this sounds like!

I see the Cosmic vibes now, yum.
\o\ lol /o/

Jamesman42

Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on December 30, 2023, 05:08:52 PM
Wasn't Devin one of his favorite discoveries of the first roulette this year?

I know DTP stuff up to Epicloud, but didn't know his later works.
\o\ lol /o/

faizoff

Jamesman42

Big bump for the new year :)

Andrew W. K. – Everybody Sins   (Luke)   When it's time to rock, we will rock hard.
   2   Trippy and spacey, good for a high time.
   3   This song isn't afraid to just do whatever it wants. A lot of contrasts and variety.
The L.I.F.E. Project – A World on Fire   (jingle.human)   This song is loud and that woman is full of emotive singing.
Biffy Clyro – Unknown Male 01   (King)   This is real good, a mix of melody and crunching guitars.
   6   This is chill progressive rock and I am chilling.
Khemmis – House of Cadmus   (Litho)   Thick mix, Mastodon-like vocals (before the growls), great guitar atmosphere - this one is immediately hitting nicely.
Dvne – Mleccha   (Ariich)   There was an Alcest vibe in part of this, so I've got my eye on it.
Iron Maiden – The Writing on the Wall   (faizoff)   Nothing surprising from a very famous band, but it still hits good.
Chevelle – So Long, Mother Earth (lonestar)   Not what I expected from a band that got pretty big in my teenage years (20 years ago), more otherworldly than just dealing with the pain.
Low – All Night (Sacul)   I enjoyed getting lost in this static awe.
   13   Groovy and harsh, a good mix of the two.
Chevelle – Self Destructor (Puppies)   A song about covid and the progress made since?
Cheap Trick – The Summer Looks Good on You   (stadler)   A nice song for the warmer times, driving to the beach and just letting this blast.
\o\ lol /o/

Sacul

lonestar

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

Jamesman42

Quote from: lonestar on January 01, 2024, 11:36:24 AM
6?

You were 11. I knew Chevelle from their songs The Red and Send the Pain Below when I was a teenager.
\o\ lol /o/

Puppies_On_Acid

Oh, I guess mine is 14. Even though that isn't exactly what the song is about. The song was actually written in 2019 and is about science deniers. It was just coincidental that the whole covid thing happened in the interim.
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Jamesman42

Quote from: King Puppies and the Acid Guppies on January 01, 2024, 12:48:50 PM
Oh, I guess mine is 14. Even though that isn't exactly what the song is about. The song was actually written in 2019 and is about science deniers. It was just coincidental that the whole covid thing happened in the interim.

Oh man, yeah the lyrics are pretty relevant to Covid, that's a cool piece of info.
\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

Quote from: Jamesman42 on January 01, 2024, 11:39:36 AM
6?

You were 11. I knew Chevelle from their songs The Red and Send the Pain Below when I was a teenager.

That was the one I was sure it wasn't.  :lol

King Postwhore

Quote from: Jamesman42 on January 01, 2024, 11:39:36 AM
6?

I worked with Chevelle's cousin, (The 3 brothers I. The bsnd) and he took be backstage at one show. They were so friendly. 
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Jamesman42

Working on results, was hoping for today but I don't know if I will finish tonight, but it's looking like tomorrow. Start thinking about your 2022 submissions, fellas.
\o\ lol /o/

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

lonestar

Jamesman42

Round 6 Results!

Chevelle – Self Destructor   puppies   8.8   

At first, the vocals felt a little buried in the mix, but that didn't turn out to be a big deal. This feels very evolved from the songs I was familair with as a teenager, like The Red and Send the Pain Below. Very catchy for a hard rock song, the guitar is pulling some serious weight in this song. Maybe a little long but that's not a huge knock on it, either.

Iron Maiden – The Writing on the Wall   Faizoff   8.7   

I only know one album by Maiden, and it's excellent IMO (Brave New World). This song is so epic, the musicians sound just as good as BNW, as does Bruce (who was in his 60s here I believe?). I don't know what else to say, this song rocks and the solo is also great. I'm ready for at least one other person tell me something about Maiden, so go on then :biggrin:

Chevelle – So Long, Mother Earth   lonestar   8.7   

Similar comments to Puppies with Self Destructor (your song was second of the two on the playlist), the only thing I would add is that I really liked the busy guitar under the soaring vocals. I did like SD more though, but it was close, and 8.7 feels right to me.

Quicksand – Brushed   ReaperKK   8.6   

This song hit nicely. I dig the mood the instruments bring, and the singer lays some nice vocals on top. Nothing crazy, just a solid song to chill to. The moodiness got stuck in my head quite a bit, I must say.

The Cyberiam – Wilde Things   vmadz   8.6   

This was really cool prog rock. There are some DT vibes, one specific part is at 5:21, sounds like a certain part of ACOS. The keyboards bring nice diversity, and the bass is mixed well and adds a nice layer that I appreciate as a bass player. The vocals are nice for this song, while not my favorite.

Dvne – Mleccha   Ariich   8.6   

You can pretty much reference tomislav's description for this song (this was the second Dvne song in the playlist), but this one had some more contrasts that I liked a bit more.

Biffy Clyro – Unknown Male 01   King   8.5   

I know a handful of BC songs, only from the album Opposites, and some of favorite songs to jam on the bass. This song reminded me of those songs, except longer and more elongated. I think the intro felt a little too long, even with the nice organ sound and the guitar adding some good strumming. But overall, the song finds that nice Biffy Clyro groove I love and the singer gets more aggressive than I know from other songs, and that was good.

Khemmis – House of Cadmus   litho   8.5   

An unrelenting cascade of what I assume is more doom metal oriented music. I like that sort of atmosphere, and I like how the song ends as well, with a sort of soft whimper. I think the song carried itself well, vocals were on point. If you are wondering why it doesn't score higher, I couldn't tell you besides it just feels right as 8.5. Very solid song.

Dvne – Si-XIV   tomislav   8.5   

I enjoyed the soundscape this song has, I tend to enjoy atmospheric metal and this had a solid drive underneath. Vocals were good, and the guitars had some great layering throughout.

Andrew W. K. – Everybody Sins   Luke   8.4   

I would have never guessed this was Andrew WK, based on Party Hard, She is Beautiful, and Ready to Die (a song I LOVE). So when it started, I was confused but intrigued, and got an epic hard rock/metal song. It doesn't fully connect with me, but I enjoyed a lot, and the chorus is huge. I think it did its job, though, and didn't overstay its welcome.

Others by No One – Where Stories Come From   TAQ   8.4   

I think there is a lot of cool stuff here, vocalist is great, and the music has a lot of emotion. I think what gets me here is that one section will end, the next begins, and it didn't always feel cohesive enough for me to enjoy it fully. There is a part about 5.5 minutes in that remind me of Devin Townsend, with the "I'm closer now than I've ever felt" and then a big sound, that part alone bumped this song up for me. Maybe if I had longer to really understand it, this could be higher, but for now I feel comfortable with this score.

Low – All Night   Sacul   8.4   

I liked that this was toward the end of the playlist. It has that sort of feel, the playlist is winding down and this song just glides you through the static and ambience. Nice song, easy listen.

The L.I.F.E. Project – A World on Fire   jingle.dot   8.3   

The drum intro was nice. The energy is super high on this song. The vocalist is great, and the chorus is nicely done. I think it's just not totally not my flavor of rock/metal, while not minding this song at all.

Cheap Trick – The Summer Looks Good on You   stadler   8.3   

This was a cool little song, I appreciate your style that you send me. Simple enough stuff, rocking on and it's easy to listen to. This song isn't something that is totally in my preferences, and my wife also comments that "wow they only know two lyrics, but this song is fine" :lol The part about 2.5 minutes in is really awesome though, some tenths of a point for that. I get that Oasis vibe you mentioned.

Sleep Token – Mine   romdrums   8.3   

This song has some cool quirks to it. It all sounds just fine, the synths are good, but beyond that, this was not much for me. With that said, I wonder if I am missing something. I thought I read somewhere that this band is quite popular.

Overall Impressions: This round was as solid as could be. I felt that all the songs were solid, just varying in degrees enough to create some separation in points. Probably one of the most consistent playlists yet.

Standings
romdrums   60.6
King Puppies   60.4
Ariich   60.3
TAC   60.2
Tomislav95   59.9
lonestar   59.6
LithoJazzoSphere   59.5
faizoff   59.1
King Postwhore   59.1
vmadera00   58.9
jingle.boy   58.8
Stadler   58.8
ReaperKK   58.5
twosuitsluke   58.2
Sacul   58.1

Round 8 is open, send a song from 2022! Please get them by tomorrow (I have the day to myself and would love to get listening in tomorrow)!
\o\ lol /o/

LithoJazzoSphere

Man, the last rounds have to be some of the tightest scoring ranges in a roulette in awhile.  I see ariich trying to claw his way back to the top though, he must be stopped!  :)

Jamesman42

Yeah, people are finding great hits for me. Someone told me in a message recently that I am tough to nail down what I like, but y'all have been doing a great job overall.

Also, I will update the results post in a moment, but I took a quick screenshot of all 7 rounds so far, in case anyone wants to see it:

\o\ lol /o/

Lonk

Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on January 04, 2024, 07:38:49 AM
Man, the last rounds have to be some of the tightest scoring ranges in a roulette in awhile.  I see ariich trying to claw his way back to the top though, he must be stopped!  :)
Yeah, given how close the scores have been, no way in hell I'm closing that 2 point gap in 2 rounds lol

Jamesman42

3 rounds, there will be one round at the end that is any song from 2015-2023. I think you don't have that sent yet.
\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

Sweet, glad they hit the mark. Bracing for a heavy drop in score with this round... I took a chance, but just had to send this band.

jingle.boy

Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 04, 2024, 07:54:02 AM
Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on January 04, 2024, 07:38:49 AM
Yeah, given how close the scores have been, no way in hell I'm closing that 2 point gap in 2 rounds lol

Two rounds, or three rounds... doesn't matter.  not going to outscore all of the top four by .7 for three consecutive rounds, when the spread between rounds is only .5 or .6.

Sending some bitchin metal, with a kickass video to boot.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Lonk

LithoJazzoSphere

By the end of the '15-'23 round we could tack on a '24 round.   ;D