Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 55958 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #455 on: May 13, 2023, 09:55:17 AM »
The China Syndrome (1979)

Continuing the nuclear theme I wanted to watch something a little more lighthearted after all of the apocalyptic misery. Jack Lemon, Mike Douglas, and Jane Fonda FTW. Excellent movie, though perhaps a little bit of a reach to believe that a power company has a crack hit squad on hot standby, just in case. Two things really make it work: One is that it's as much behind the scenes of a newsroom as it is a nuclear thriller. Hanoi Jane really is a fantastic actress, and her plight being stuck doing human interest stories vs hard news plays great, seeing as the movie's a product of the 70s and set in a male-dominated field. "Cue the redhead." The other thing is that there are actually two aspects to the nuclear "disaster," which the media people totally fail to grasp. The initial accident was proof that the safeguards and procedures are highly effective. There was a mechanical fault and they prevented a catastrophe. The actual problem wasn't nuclear but bureaucratic. The movie was more a tirade against big business rather than nuclear power, a point that some might have missed.

And talk about timing. Uncanny that the movie hit theaters less than 2 weeks before Three Mile Island.

Jack Lemon is one of my all time favorite actors.  This is such a great movie.  And yeah, I bet the producers were ecstatic about Three Mile Island.  LoL.  I had forgotten about that impeccable timing.

Second on Jack Lemmon.   It's one of the reasons I love Glengarry Glen Ross so much.   As good as they are, you have all these guys chewing scenery - Pacino, Baldwin (though he's great in it), Spacey, Harris - and Lemmon sneaks in and, in my opinion, out-acts all of them combined. It's not just because his character is sort of the centerpiece, it's because he can actually carry that weight as an actor.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: May 15, 2023, 08:59:44 PM »
I am not a big fan of Jack Lemmon, but like some actors, Sean Connery is another, I think his career reached the pinnacle late in his career, which most actors are just coasting, finishing out the stretch. Lemmon doesn't do much for me in films from the 50s and 60s, but he is sublime in GGGR. I wouldn't say he out-acts anyone in that film, but he plays Levine brilliantly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #457 on: May 15, 2023, 09:05:59 PM »
I only saw GGGR once, but I definitely remember walking away thinking that Jack Lemon stole the movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Harmony

« Reply #458 on: May 16, 2023, 08:38:35 AM »
Ok for you Jack Lemmon doubters (I mean Chris, lol) go and watch a little movie called The Apartment.

Then rewatch (or watch if you've never seen them) The Odd Couple and Some Like it Hot.

Then finally a more obscure film called Missing (1982).

The guy was a beast.  And like you said, he never coasted in his career right up until the end.  I also loved his performance in JFK

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: May 16, 2023, 08:53:47 AM »
 :biggrin: I am not doubting his talents, just saying I prefer his work in later films.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #460 on: May 16, 2023, 08:55:47 AM »
:biggrin: I am not doubting his talents, just saying I prefer his work in later films.

Out to Sea is a great movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #461 on: May 16, 2023, 09:42:10 AM »
I thought he ruled China Syndrome, and as others have said, he was The Man in GGGR. Both movies with stellar casts.

The latter is a disappointing move for me. Given the talent, and they all did a fine job, the movie just wasn't what I wanted it to be and I blame the director. The tension was always undercut. Even the choice of music lessened it. If Sydney Lumet had directed that it would have been like one of those horror movies in the 60s where "a nurse will be in attendance for every show!" from people stroking out from the intensity.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #462 on: May 16, 2023, 11:04:26 AM »
The Woman King.

Pretty cool, ultimately forgettable action flick. It was exactly what we felt like watching though. I had expected it to be a little more raw and gritty, but it was very Disney.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: May 16, 2023, 11:46:04 PM »
The latter is a disappointing move for me. Given the talent, and they all did a fine job, the movie just wasn't what I wanted it to be and I blame the director. The tension was always undercut. Even the choice of music lessened it. If Sydney Lumet had directed that it would have been like one of those horror movies in the 60s where "a nurse will be in attendance for every show!" from people stroking out from the intensity.

Interesting take I am trying to assess. I've seen this film a few times, and never felt there was an issue with the tension. Sure, it's not Fail-Safe, but it isn't supposed to be. A Lumet GGGR certainly could work, but I appreciate what the filmmakers were going for here.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #464 on: May 19, 2023, 06:06:40 PM »
Just saw Fast X

OH my effing god, that may go down as one of my favorite movies ever

I did make sure to be quite high, but it would have been incredible either way  :metal

Never saw 2-9 either  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #465 on: May 20, 2023, 04:18:00 AM »
For another episode of "Better Late than Never"....

...I finally started the Toy Story series.

Yup, I never watched them.

Saw the first two movies, both great, I'll finish the series eventually!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #466 on: May 20, 2023, 08:18:29 AM »
It is long, but The Great Race is Jack Lemmon at his best, IMO.   That film has more quotable lines that just about any comedy ever (bold statement considering there are many comedies that are imminently quotable).

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #467 on: May 21, 2023, 05:39:40 PM »
Watched The Whale on my flight to Orlando last week. It was good, but probably not as good as all the hype.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #468 on: May 28, 2023, 10:48:34 PM »
Just watched ‘Coherence’. Trippy sci fi movie…..really interesting.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #469 on: May 30, 2023, 09:27:28 AM »
I watched 65 last night.  A vaguely interesting man (Adam Driver) v. dinosaur premise that was just ok.  Decent special effects, but nothing special.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #470 on: May 30, 2023, 10:48:52 AM »
Watched "Dirty Grandpa" last night. That's the second worst movie I've ever seen (You People is first).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 06:13:59 AM by Chino »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: May 30, 2023, 06:54:22 PM »
This makes me wonder what would qualify as the worst movie I've ever seen. There has only been one movie I have turned off in the middle out of disgust, and that was The Royal Tenenbaums. But I can't say that is the worst movie I've ever seen because I didn't finish it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #472 on: May 31, 2023, 09:50:29 AM »
This makes me wonder what would qualify as the worst movie I've ever seen. There has only been one movie I have turned off in the middle out of disgust, and that was The Royal Tenenbaums. But I can't say that is the worst movie I've ever seen because I didn't finish it.

I don't believe I've ever walked out of a movie in a theater, but there have been several rented or streamed movies that I have stopped after about 20 minutes or so (as I sit here, I can't recall any names).  If a movie hasn't piqued my interest after 20-30 minutes, I'm not wasting another 1-2 hours on it.

Whenever anyone asks about the worst movie I've ever seen, I usually cite Oscar, a 1991 Sylvester Stallone movie.  I don't remember much about the plot (it was a mafia comedy movie), but I distinctly recall getting to the end and my friends and I talking about how bad it was.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #473 on: May 31, 2023, 10:10:55 AM »
I'm not saying that Oscar is a good film, because that would be a silly thing to say.  I'm only saying that I, personally, like it a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: May 31, 2023, 11:09:58 AM »
I'm not sure I can name a "worst" either.  I know there are bad movies out there, though. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #475 on: May 31, 2023, 11:50:00 AM »
Oscar was good dumb fun.  No, it wasn't a great movie, but there were a number laugh-out-loud moments for us, so it wasn't a waste of time or anything.  I'll actually watch it if I happen to catch it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #476 on: May 31, 2023, 12:36:14 PM »
Another film that I love, regardless of how bad it is (and I KNOW that it is), is Hudson Hawk.  Mock me if you will.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #477 on: May 31, 2023, 12:43:08 PM »
The Other Guys is a film I hate. And I mean hate.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #478 on: May 31, 2023, 12:47:37 PM »
Tried watching Air on Prime last night. I don’t care about basketball or shoes so it was a bad idea from the start, and I only lasted about 20 minutes.
Not the worst thing I’ve ever seen. That is by far the Cats movie from 2019.

Also watched The Cable Guy Monday night. Terrible.

Online Adami

« Reply #479 on: May 31, 2023, 12:48:36 PM »

I can see not liking the film. But that intro with Sam Jackson and I think The Rock was great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: May 31, 2023, 01:08:49 PM »
The 2 main characters are so unlikable that it negates everything else.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #481 on: May 31, 2023, 01:17:43 PM »

Try watching the movie again and then just turn it off once Sam Jackson and The Rock are done.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #482 on: May 31, 2023, 01:54:35 PM »

I'm a sucker for that movie. Will's dialog about the tuna vs lions splits my sides every time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: May 31, 2023, 02:17:29 PM »
I'm a sucker for a slapstick comedy but for some reason,  it just grated me.  Adami.  I just can't do It. Lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #484 on: May 31, 2023, 02:22:55 PM »
Oscar was good dumb fun.  No, it wasn't a great movie, but there were a number laugh-out-loud moments for us, so it wasn't a waste of time or anything.  I'll actually watch it if I happen to catch it.

Maybe it was lost on 23-year old me, but I don't think I'd spend the time to see if my opinion has changed.

Tried watching Air on Prime last night. I don’t care about basketball or shoes so it was a bad idea from the start

:lol  That would be a bit like me watching a documentary/docudrama about drag queens and cosmetics.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #485 on: May 31, 2023, 02:31:17 PM »

WHAT?!!

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: May 31, 2023, 02:38:32 PM »

This hurts or ruins a lot of movies for me.  I'm getting bored of the rom-coms where the girl is/girls are just as cute and quirky as can be, and the guy is/guys are just so witty and quippy and hilarious...  I end up watching these movies and I spend more time thinking how good it would feel to whack them on the back of the head with a frying pan.  Metaphorically, of course!!  I can't think of a movie off the top of my head (but think "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" on TV for an example).   EDIT:  I thought of one: "How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days".

I also don't care for movies that are exceedingly "play like".  Mystic Pizza falls into that.   I love Vincent D'Onofrio, generally, but in that movie everything he does has that exaggerated "stage" feel to it that undermines the movie. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2023, 02:58:41 PM »
I'm also not a fan of The Other Guys, largely because I'm not a fan of Mark Wahlberg.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: May 31, 2023, 03:06:53 PM »
I'm also not a fan of The Other Guys, largely because I'm not a fan of Mark Wahlberg.

Yes. He's very similar in all his roles. Now a buddy movie I absolutely adore is The Nice Guys. If you haven't seen that movie, get on it.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #489 on: May 31, 2023, 05:40:54 PM »
Boogie Nights is the only good thing Wahlberg has ever done.