Author Topic: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 35165 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #315 on: September 23, 2021, 07:15:03 AM »
No worries, I didn't think you meant it negatively.  I just didn't understand exactly what you were getting at.  BTV is such a nice mix of heavy and melody.  JP is such a master of sinister riffs.  BTV is a good example of a song where the riffs definitely fit into that category, but don't stray too far into that area to make the song unduly dark.

I totally agree the BTV is one of their absolute best "heavy" songs.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #316 on: September 23, 2021, 08:02:34 AM »
I'm a female and really don't care one way or the other, as long as it's not a "b" or a "c" word. So many better things to put my mind on.

THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Unfortunately YOU are in the vast MINORITY when it comes to this kind of stuff. BUT, YOU have my respect (for whatever that's worth - LOL)

Got some data to back that claim up? I think the PC crowd/feminazi/male feminist types are the (loud and vocal) minority.

but yea... Dream Theater!

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #317 on: September 23, 2021, 08:04:37 AM »
Vlasto!  It's been so long!  I feel like a celebration is almost in order!

We'll think of something.

well yeah daddy buddy! I'm sporadically here, but the critics here always remind me old times back in 2003-2004 when ToT was released and we had official forum on dt.net page. :biggrin:

Offline LKap13

« Reply #318 on: September 23, 2021, 08:10:21 AM »
Tot is a masterpiece

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #319 on: September 23, 2021, 08:16:27 AM »
Tot is a masterpiece
but... can you imagine how much it was criticised after SDOIT album? :laugh:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2021, 08:47:24 AM »
Vlasto!  It's been so long!  I feel like a celebration is almost in order!

We'll think of something.

well yeah daddy buddy! I'm sporadically here, but the critics here always remind me old times back in 2003-2004 when ToT was released and we had official forum on dt.net page. :biggrin:
The good old days!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2021, 09:02:33 AM »
If they released Awaken The Master as the only single I think you all would be feeling much more positive about the album overall.

Tastes being subjective and all, but I prefer IM over Awaken the Master by a large margin.  And I don't dislike ATM at all.  I just like IM a lot.

What are your top 3 songs from the new album?

Too early.  I can't pick a top 3 yet.  I've only listened to the entire album a handful of times (enough to be generally familiar so I can do my job and authenticate leaks, etc.), but not enough to have really internalized the songs enough to rank them.  I am still kind of in that phase where the first three songs kind of feel like my top 3, but that is only because they are the first three songs, and so they more easily stick in my mind. 

One thing I will say about the album in general:  When I was first getting into DT, some of their odd time signatures used to catch me offguard because I just wasn't used to hearing that type of music.  The timing made me feel off balance, so to speak.  As my ear got used to that sort of thing, that feeling mostly went away and it usually didn't feel that shocking when I would listen to new DT music.  But there are quite a few moments on this album where that is back again.  Not sure exactly what they are doing that makes it feel that jarring, but it is cool.  There is some of that on The Alien and, to a much lesser degree, Invisible Monster.  But (without giving too much away), it is really present on Answering the Call.  On that one, the music on the verses sounds like it is plodding forward on a simple, straightforward beat, but it isn't.  When the vocals come in, it highlights the odd timing and sounds almost out of sync, which builds tension during the verses, and which the band then resolves in the chorus.  It's a neat way of bringing tension and release other than the more typical ways DT and other bands incorporate that concept into music. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #322 on: September 23, 2021, 09:03:32 AM »
I acknowledge the idea of listening to the song again in the context of the full album, which is allegedly much higher energy. Maybe that will change the way we hear it. It's just a very different mood from the Alien, and that very low key interview a few days ago did NOT help matters.

While that probably shouldn't be a factor, I feel the same way.

Like I said before. I have seen the full movie without seeing a scene or trailer. I love it, but if you have only seen 2 scenes I understand why the movie isn’t doing it for you…… YET.

Your excitement for the album is one thing keeping me interested, so thank you.

That’s great to hear! I just wholeheartedly feel the singles are getting dissected and looked at under a microscope because it’s all most people have to go by so it’s only human to feel these songs represent the album. When these songs are heard together I believe some negative opinions will change. The PR/ Label dropped the ball on promotion. I know now for a 100% fact that IM is the last single before release. A kick ass medley would have truly been the right move. It’s giving fans a false impression and honestly pissing me off. My advice would be to stop listening to the singles NOW and wait for the album.

This IS all we have, and this IS what the band - through their representation - felt would make the best impression.  I respect that you have information I don't have (and by the way, for different reasons, I HAVE foregone the singles in anticipation of the full album), but it almost seems like you're getting defensive here.  It's OKAY, we can still be fans and have criticisms.   I LOVE DT, and have been a fan since '92, but I've also had criticisms since then as well.   I can't help that I like what I like and don't pay a lot of lip service to "having" to love everything my favorite bands do.  I'm a Kiss fan, after all!  :) :) :)

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #323 on: September 23, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »
I'm a female and really don't care one way or the other, as long as it's not a "b" or a "c" word. So many better things to put my mind on.

Unfortunately YOU are in the vast MINORITY when it comes to this kind of stuff. BUT, YOU have my respect (for whatever that's worth - LOL)

Got some data to back that claim up? I think the PC crowd/feminazi/male feminist types are the (loud and vocal) minority.

What is that lovely term again, uuuh, haha, right, virtue signaling  :tup
Or is it only valid when talking about the left? :facepalm:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #324 on: September 23, 2021, 09:07:49 AM »
He isn't getting defensive that I can see, Stadler.  I think you are just nickpicking at something that doesn't need to be picked at. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #325 on: September 23, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »
He isn't getting defensive that I can see, Stadler.  I think you are just nickpicking at something that doesn't need to be picked at.
Fair enough; I'm just trying to collect input as we move toward release, and it struck me that there might be a pattern to all this.  If not, I'm good.  I'm going to be listening to the album intently regardless.  :) :) :)

Offline LKap13

« Reply #326 on: September 23, 2021, 09:22:06 AM »
If they released Awaken The Master as the only single I think you all would be feeling much more positive about the album overall.

Tastes being subjective and all, but I prefer IM over Awaken the Master by a large margin.  And I don't dislike ATM at all.  I just like IM a lot.

What are your top 3 songs from the new album?

Too early.  I can't pick a top 3 yet.  I've only listened to the entire album a handful of times (enough to be generally familiar so I can do my job and authenticate leaks, etc.), but not enough to have really internalized the songs enough to rank them.  I am still kind of in that phase where the first three songs kind of feel like my top 3, but that is only because they are the first three songs, and so they more easily stick in my mind. 

One thing I will say about the album in general:  When I was first getting into DT, some of their odd time signatures used to catch me offguard because I just wasn't used to hearing that type of music.  The timing made me feel off balance, so to speak.  As my ear got used to that sort of thing, that feeling mostly went away and it usually didn't feel that shocking when I would listen to new DT music.  But there are quite a few moments on this album where that is back again.  Not sure exactly what they are doing that makes it feel that jarring, but it is cool.  There is some of that on The Alien and, to a much lesser degree, Invisible Monster.  But (without giving too much away), it is really present on Answering the Call.  On that one, the music on the verses sounds like it is plodding forward on a simple, straightforward beat, but it isn't.  When the vocals come in, it highlights the odd timing and sounds almost out of sync, which builds tension during the verses, and which the band then resolves in the chorus.  It's a neat way of bringing tension and release other than the more typical ways DT and other bands incorporate that concept into music.

First three being the alien, atc and im. Hmm well that would be in line with best songs from recent albums (including Lte3 and terminal velocity) being the singles, but that's not exactly what I wished for! Guess we'll see

Offline darkshade

« Reply #327 on: September 23, 2021, 09:28:49 AM »

What is that lovely term again, uuuh, haha, right, virtue signaling  :tup
Or is it only valid when talking about the left? :facepalm:

Most people are neither far left or far right, so the extremes (PC is an extremist view) are the minority.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #328 on: September 23, 2021, 09:32:21 AM »
So to set myself up for more false expectations, I have this playlist playing on repeat for a half day now.

The Alien
The Dark Eternal Night
Invisible Monster
Lost Not Forgotten
Behind The Veil
Pale Blue Dot
A Change of Seasons

And man, does Invisible Monster sound so much better in that playlist!

Offline LKap13

« Reply #329 on: September 23, 2021, 09:34:01 AM »
Looks pretty good!!

If the alien is NOT the best song on the new album then we're definitely in for a treat. As we get closer though I'm beginning to worry that it will be

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #330 on: September 23, 2021, 09:38:56 AM »
When is the last time that the opening track in a DT album is the best track? They almost always reserve the best in Side B of the casette tape.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #331 on: September 23, 2021, 09:40:15 AM »
@LKap:  Well, again, I'm not saying those are necessarily my "top 3."  They are just the 3 that stand out the most, but that is just a factor of their placement as the first 3 tracks on the album.  I almost always feel that way when I get a new album until I have had enough time to really digest the material and become familiar with it.  I'm not there yet with this one.  I've had it since a little after Glasser got it, I believe.  But as I mentioned above, I have intentionally listened to it far less.  So I want to again stress that I haven't digested the material enough to have a "real" top 3.  Thus far, I really like them all.  But I'm still in the mode where I tend to think of them more as "the opening song," "the mega-epic," "the nod to Rush song," and the like rather than independent entities yet. 

@Darkshade and Beatrice:  This thread is not about "political view" (for lack of a better term), "PC terminology," etc.  That was a brief derail, and it needs to end.  Please stay on topic.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #332 on: September 23, 2021, 09:45:11 AM »
Oh, so there is a nod to Rush song? We finally got some info from you. :p

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #333 on: September 23, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
Well...isn't there always?

:ontome:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #334 on: September 23, 2021, 09:48:00 AM »
Well, Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos don't. :)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #335 on: September 23, 2021, 09:50:47 AM »
Well, Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos don't. :)

SC definitely does to my ears. At least one specific rush riff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #336 on: September 23, 2021, 09:54:50 AM »
A riff does not a nod to Rush make. Hehehe

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #337 on: September 23, 2021, 09:56:13 AM »
I really hope the alien and IM are not two of the best songs on the album,  I don’t dislike either of them but figured there will be much better stuff coming. 

Especially with Glasser calling it massive and epic and the singles often being my least favorite tracks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #338 on: September 23, 2021, 09:57:12 AM »
A riff does not a nod to Rush make. Hehehe

Maybe. But every time I hear it, I think Rush. But it's all good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LKap13

« Reply #339 on: September 23, 2021, 10:04:18 AM »
I really hope the alien and IM are not two of the best songs on the album,  I don’t dislike either of them but figured there will be much better stuff coming. 

Especially with Glasser calling it massive and epic and the singles often being my least favorite tracks.

Love how we all, myself included, are hanging all our hopes on Glasser! Wonder if he's feeling the pressure

Offline LKap13

« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2021, 10:05:09 AM »
Album is released and next thing you know, Glasser has skipped town lol jk!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #341 on: September 23, 2021, 10:12:55 AM »
Mike Mangini - "Was that a 15-Tuplet Gong Drum Roll to start Invisible Monster? I don't remember."

:facepalm: :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #342 on: September 23, 2021, 10:34:24 AM »
@Darkshade and Beatrice:  This thread is not about "political view" (for lack of a better term), "PC terminology," etc.  That was a brief derail, and it needs to end.  Please stay on topic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2021, 10:35:49 AM »
I prefer "They came from behind!"  :eyebrows:  But whatever.  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2021, 10:58:25 AM »
I'm going to respond to this post, not  to be belligerent, but because I just don't really agree with some of the things stated and to maybe clarify why I (or some others) posted what we have done in this thread. This post is not meant as an attack, even though I'm directly quoting bosk.

To address the criticism, and the "balance" issue just a bit:

This comes up every time there is something new.  And, basically, I allow discussion to be pretty free here.  People are certainly entitled to have their opinions of DT material.  And, perhaps moreso than way back in the days of the official forum, people are entitled to express those opinions, whether positive or negative.  They just need to be expressed in a respectful way.  And, in my opinion as the guy who has the final say on the rules, I think that is the healthiest approach.  I've been around and around this issue with most of the band members, and my philosophy is that it is best to let people discuss freely, within certain bounds.  And since I feel that DT is pretty consistent about putting out quality music that they have taken their time to thoughtfully construct, I think that even the negative opinions are beneficial to them, because those opinions invite discussion that, on balance, ends up ultimately being constructive.

Naturally, I've got nothing on that paragraph, but I kept it in this post just to mention that as well.

But do some comments cross the line?  Yeah.  I think some do, even if we let them go and don't say anything.  Keep in mind that the goal isn't "It's just my opinion, and I'm just telling the truth."  Opinions can be offered using tact and diplomacy, and some of you lack that. 

Honestly, I don't even know whether the above part is targeting me in particular, though I can image it is, since I wrote (exactly) the following: "One listen in (just now) and this might seriously be one of the most boring, lifeless DT tracks ever." Although I maybe shouldn't have presented that as a 'fact', it's still how I felt about the song after one listen. For the record, I haven't heard it again and likely won't until I hear the full album, so I stand by what I sent. Is it tactless? Kind of, but that was partly the point. It may have been better to state it not as a fact (for it's not), but as my personal opinion. That said, a lot of stuff written on these forums (and DT Side in particular) gets presented as truth and/or fact, so it's not out of line for me to do so. If I crossed a line there, I'm sorry.

As was rightly pointed out, making music is a job for these guys, and sometimes people on a job don't always put out a 100% airtight, top-quality product. But by the same token, this is art, and the DT guys are artists.  They pour themselves into their art, and present it to us, the fans, as something for us to enjoy.

So, I definitely agree with the first part. Nobody can be expected to deliver and give 100% all the time. That's an impossible standard to hold anybody accountable for. In that sense, it's absolutely no surprise that a band (or any other artist) can't make 'good' stuff all the time, but by the same token, it's not really for an artist to decide whether their art is 'good', but in this case to the listener. '100% airtight, top quality' just doesn't work for music, paintings, films etc., because there's no standard to adhere to. That said, just because DT are a band of musicians/creators/artists (whatever), that doesn't mean they 'pour themselves' into it. I can't image what it's like to be a musician for ~40 years, but like with any job, at some point it becomes a routine. My personal feeling on this latest single is that it sounds uninspired (I used the word 'lifeless', to be fair), because it's something I've heard before. An artist should, in my opinion, do things differently, expand on what they've done in the past, incorporate new influences, be relevant in some way to what's happening in the world/music scene/anything. I did not hear this on this song. Whether I (or anyone else) will enjoy it, is, unfortunately for anyone who creates art, not up to the creator.

If your kid made poured him/herself into a piece of art and gave it to you, and you said, "Meh, this is dull and uninspired," my opinion is that you seriously lack tact and understanding and should check yourself.

Definitely agree on this one, but I don't have children, so I can't relate in the literal sense of what you're saying, but I get the point. The difference being that your child/girlfriend/wife/husband/parents/whatever have a personal relationship with you. I don't have a personal relationship with Dream Theater or any of its members, so I don't at all feel bad for saying I think this song feels lifeless in that sense.

I think we make the mistake of forgetting that this music is a labor of love presented as a gift to the fans, and I think the reasons we forget (or simply discount that fact) is that the band members are semi-public figures and make a profit from selling their art.

I'm not sure whether Dream Theater's music is a 'labor of love' or whether it's simply labor, because it's their job to make music. I can't tell for sure, so I won't argue that. It certainly isn't a 'gift to the fans', because as you state yourself they actually make a profit from selling their music. Releasing a single (for free, okay, so maybe that's the gift you're referring to?) is a means to hopefully sell more copies of the record or more tickets to their shows.

But I think we would do well to remember the human side that I mentioned a couple of lines above. 

Which is why I personally would never attack any band-member, not on these forums, nor on their social media, whatever. It's not as if I'm saying nasty stuff about the band, I'm only stating I didn't like this last song. Yes, I do get that it's easy to do on a forum where I'm basically posting semi-anonymous and if I were to meet the band, I wouldn't say it the same way. I love (most of) Dream Theater's music. They've been a huge part of my life and therefore I get strong reactions to what they release. I think that's the same for a lot of other people here.

Anyhow, bottom line is, as long as the discussion stays relatively respectful, which it largely does, the mods and I will not interfere.  Feel free to like or dislike what suits your tastes.  Discuss away.  But try to keep it within reasonable bounds.

I hope I have! And if not, please let me know.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #345 on: September 23, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »
Tot is a masterpiece
but... can you imagine how much it was criticised after SDOIT album? :laugh:

Almost 18 years later I'm still criticizing.  :biggrin:

Offline Kram

« Reply #346 on: September 23, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »
I've listened to IM twice now and count me as one who thinks its just OK.  The production sounds good but the song is nothing special - a little boring and safe IMO.  I think The Alien kicks ass however, so I still have high hopes for the album.  I guess not every song can be the second coming of Voices or Learning to Live

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #347 on: September 23, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »
I'm going to respond to this post, not  to be belligerent, but because I just don't really agree with some of the things stated and to maybe clarify why I (or some others) posted what we have done in this thread. This post is not meant as an attack, even though I'm directly quoting bosk.

It was all taken in the spirit that you meant it.  :tup

I'll just add that my post was not aimed at any particular person.  Regarding your specific posts about the song, I do think more tact than you put in your post is the better approach, so I disagree with you on several of your points.  I stand by what I wrote, and I respect you standing by what you wrote.  While I might disagree with some of the bluntness of your posts on the song, I don't feel that they break the rules, and I'm...I guess, "okay" with the fact that we see it differently.  It is what it is.  To put it another way, I'm cool with people not seeing it as I do, and I hope you are as well.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #348 on: September 23, 2021, 11:30:47 AM »

As was rightly pointed out, making music is a job for these guys, and sometimes people on a job don't always put out a 100% airtight, top-quality product. But by the same token, this is art, and the DT guys are artists.  They pour themselves into their art, and present it to us, the fans, as something for us to enjoy.

So, I definitely agree with the first part. Nobody can be expected to deliver and give 100% all the time. That's an impossible standard to hold anybody accountable for. In that sense, it's absolutely no surprise that a band (or any other artist) can't make 'good' stuff all the time, but by the same token, it's not really for an artist to decide whether their art is 'good', but in this case to the listener. '100% airtight, top quality' just doesn't work for music, paintings, films etc., because there's no standard to adhere to. That said, just because DT are a band of musicians/creators/artists (whatever), that doesn't mean they 'pour themselves' into it. I can't image what it's like to be a musician for ~40 years, but like with any job, at some point it becomes a routine. My personal feeling on this latest single is that it sounds uninspired (I used the word 'lifeless', to be fair), because it's something I've heard before. An artist should, in my opinion, do things differently, expand on what they've done in the past, incorporate new influences, be relevant in some way to what's happening in the world/music scene/anything. I did not hear this on this song. Whether I (or anyone else) will enjoy it, is, unfortunately for anyone who creates art, not up to the creator.

An artist is not adhered to standards. As I see it, not having standards for Art also means not demanding what Artists should do with regards to their art and how they present the art. For me, analyzing art is not only saying..."He should've put some blue here, maybe a touch of glitter here, it's boring and dull because he didn't add any shade, shine, or purple sparkle to it's finish" but also wondering, "why did the artist choose to use that color there, why he did not decide to use glitter there, why did the artist choose to use and paint what they did." I guess I like to rather focus on that latter aspect of analyzing over what I think they should've done, to understand the intent of the artist and the purpose of the art piece.

What makes music art is there are no set rules for music. Humans made rules for it, humans made ways to try and understand what music is, Music Theory is there to try and write and describe that musical language.

The reasons why people make art are for many different reasons. Maybe they were mad, maybe they just wanted to paint, maybe they want to state a message, and maybe they just wanted to make a quick buck.

So, in the end, what I think about music is that there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" music. Just music that you prefer and music that you don't.

It's up to the person who sees that art to place sentimental value on the art. It's how an artist can set a price, and if the person feels the artist deserves more money for it, then why not accept that amount, for that person feels it's worth more for them to have the need to want it and buy it. This is a big reason I like Bandcamp and it's pay whatever you want system.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: September 23, 2021, 11:36:38 AM »
damn it's vlasto day???