Author Topic: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 33992 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2021, 10:25:14 AM »
If you're dating one of the sexiest females on the planet who gives an amazing blow job are you going to all of a sudden dump her if she doesn't swallow twice?

No, but I would consider dumping someone who calls women "females". :P

I deeply apologize if I offended you or anyone else, it was a childish attempt to be funny  :blush

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2021, 10:33:59 AM »
Of course there are exceptions - but in my opinion - when ROCK bands start using keyboards instead of guitars - it usually means they've run out of ideas.

you ever listen to Rush's Power Windows, my dude?

also this song is buns.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2021, 10:35:29 AM »
If you're dating one of the sexiest females on the planet who gives an amazing blow job are you going to all of a sudden dump her if she doesn't swallow twice?

No, but I would consider dumping someone who calls women "females". :P

I deeply apologize if I offended you or anyone else, it was a childish attempt to be funny  :blush

With apologies to the ladies of this forum - I thought yours was a unique perspective.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2021, 10:39:16 AM »
Of course there are exceptions - but in my opinion - when ROCK bands start using keyboards instead of guitars - it usually means they've run out of ideas.

You just made K-boy's point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2021, 10:40:30 AM »

No he didn't.  Besides, K-boy dislikes Rush.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2021, 10:41:53 AM »
I don't disagree, and I also think it's changing a bit of what I was saying.

People who simply said they didn't like the song are being asked (and have historically been asked) to defend that and explain it, while people who say they do like the song are never asked the same thing.

Trolls are trolls, but not every negative opinion is a troll. Any negative opinion HAS been questioned regarding bias, but very few positive opinions have been called out as being biased.

I feel like Stadler here, I'm just looking for consistency. You know?

I understand your point. I got it. You're not wrong.

I timestamped a spot in the solo that I liked. An no one even asked me. ;D

Oh sorry, my post was directed at Bosk. I think you snuck in right before I hit send.

-emoticon of dude shaking fist that I don't know the code for-

:getoffmylawn:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2021, 10:44:41 AM »

No he didn't.  Besides, K-boy dislikes Rush.

PowerWindows Man...you're timing is impeccable. Must've heard the call!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »
 :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2021, 11:02:10 AM »
A couple of listens in...I think it's a good song, not too exciting perhaps, but quite pleasing to the ears.

I like the main melodic "theme" (first played by the keys under the initial riff, then reprised by JP's guitar later in the song). Another highlight is the first pre-chorus (if you can call it that), with the change of pace.

I'd have to agree with the sentiment that the chorus melody is not the greatest - it starts off well with "Invisible mooonster"...then I don't know...the melody doesn't quite resolve or go anywhere super-interesting

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2021, 11:07:26 AM »
My initial reaction to this song is pretty good.  I'm sure additional spins will shed some more light.

What compounds the problem of my listening experience for this song is that the three times I played this song, a song from D/T autoplays after and I can't help but feel more excited with the D/T song. Will listen to my iTunes later.

I wish D/T had the production of DT15 because I love the album especially Surrender to Reason!

D/T = Distance over Time

Noob mistake, I though DoT was Distance over Time.  :blush

Department of Transportation :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2021, 11:31:16 AM »
Glasser - is Invisible Monster the darkest tune on the album?

Offline billboy73

« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2021, 11:32:43 AM »
After a couple of listens, it's a decent track.  I like the intro, but nothing really jumps out and wows me.  I like the Alien better though. 

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2021, 11:36:27 AM »
Heard Invisible Monster 5 times now, solid song that gets better on each listen, but has a lower ceiling than the Alien (which grew to being an awesome song in my opinion).

I do think the negative reactions here are unjustifiably overblown and sometimes not well articulated. As a fan who comes to this forum to share in the excitement for a new DT album, it's quite off-putting to see fans being so negative. But then again, everyone has the right to express their opinion, and it sure as hell doesn't impact mine. I still love DT and all 5 members, and am very excited for this next album.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2021, 11:53:52 AM »
Not a bad song.  just stock and trade DT.

But i appear to be in the minority in that i adored The Alien.

this album might be like d/t which took eons to grow on me. i could not warm up to it for the longest time. love it now.

we'll see.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2021, 11:59:07 AM »
I feel like reviews for the alien have been largely positive

Offline JRuless

« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2021, 12:02:08 PM »

I do think the negative reactions here are unjustifiably overblown and sometimes not well articulated. As a fan who comes to this forum to share in the excitement for a new DT album, it's quite off-putting to see fans being so negative. But then again, everyone has the right to express their opinion, and it sure as hell doesn't impact mine. I still love DT and all 5 members, and am very excited for this next album.

Sometimes ot is hard for me to ignore such sentiment on a fan forum. For me it is fine to dislike or share what we like or love. For me...DT has a special place in my life and I easily can put songs aside which I dont like without arguing. Im fond that I have the opportunity to embrace new music from the band and visit concerts enjoying music with the band I love. I never, never or gonna judge their effort to bring us new stuff. I feel privileged to have such...

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2021, 12:02:32 PM »
oh no

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2021, 12:04:09 PM »
I had no next to no emotional response to IM. The major key shift in the middle was a nice break from the rest of the song and created some interest. I felt like they were trying out some arrangements from SFAM from time to time.

The lyrics are very plain and don't interest me.

Plodding tempo.

Good production.

Really like The Alien. Hard miss for me, this one.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2021, 12:08:28 PM »
I had no next to no emotional response to IM. The major key shift in the middle was a nice break from the rest of the song and created some interest. I felt like they were trying out some arrangements from SFAM from time to time.

Plodding tempo.

Good production.

Agree with all

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2021, 12:09:48 PM »

Plodding tempo.

Good production.

Agree with all

also agree.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2021, 12:17:18 PM »
I don't dislike the song by any means, but it didn't knock my socks off and take ownership of my soul either. I'm curious to hear how it sounds within the context of the entire album. By itself, it's fine, but I could totally see it sounding stronger in the right context.

One thing I will say is that the band is between a rock and a hard place. Only two albums ago, they released potentially the weirdest album of their career, and a lot of fans got mad because it was too different. Now they're receiving criticism for playing it a bit too safe. It's a tough balancing act to pull off this deep into a career.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline LKap13

« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2021, 12:19:48 PM »
I wasn't very heavy on the forum during TA but I'm shocked to hear it got negative reactions. Especially after the live performance they gave it... Just incredible

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2021, 12:20:41 PM »
Heard Invisible Monster 5 times now, solid song that gets better on each listen, but has a lower ceiling than the Alien (which grew to being an awesome song in my opinion).

I don't want to start something here, but it's pretty off-putting to see those "rightful opinions" not necessarily treated as "rightful" (it shoudln't be "staggering" that someone not like the song; it happens).  As Adami said, I don't see a lot of "please explain that" when the positives are overblown and sometimes not all that well articulated.  Everyone that I've seen has been very respectful in articulating their reaction to the song. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2021, 12:30:06 PM »
So I only listened to The Alien once because I didn’t want to burn out before the album came out. I liked that it was really challenging on the first listen, and even though I had a tough time wrapping my head around it, it felt like it had all the makings of a great “grower”

But this new one just seemed really boring.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2021, 12:33:26 PM »
I don't dislike the song by any means, but it didn't knock my socks off and take ownership of my soul either. I'm curious to hear how it sounds within the context of the entire album. By itself, it's fine, but I could totally see it sounding stronger in the right context.

One thing I will say is that the band is between a rock and a hard place. Only two albums ago, they released potentially the weirdest album of their career, and a lot of fans got mad because it was too different. Now they're receiving criticism for playing it a bit too safe. It's a tough balancing act to pull off this deep into a career.

Well it depends, are the critics of one approach also critizing the other? (name by name that is) - if that's the case I agree with you. If we are talking based on various opinions then it's the classic "you can't please everyone" scenario. I think it's more of the latter. It's easier/more common to voice negativity online IMO (not that there is anything wrong with not liking the song).

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #200 on: September 22, 2021, 12:40:24 PM »
Listened to it again.  yea this is the kind of shorter song DT could fart out in their sleep.

again not bad and i'm not complaining.......just kinda boring.  and often i grow to like songs once i hear the album so reserving proper judgement

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2021, 12:42:14 PM »
I like it.

Offline olddtfan51@gmail.com

« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2021, 12:45:24 PM »
It took a few listens to really like this song.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2021, 12:48:05 PM »
After a few more spins, I think it's a just OK tune and I stand by my criticism that it feels like it snakes around and doesn't go anywhere, and that the vocal melodies (chorus especially, where the harmonic choices are a bit odd) are weak.

Not sure how this song would work in a live setting....seems like something you play during intermission.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2021, 12:52:04 PM »
OK, after one listen, I didn't care for it.

After seeing the video with the band in action, I like it more, but still find it a little boring.

I am glad that they set the song in a singable key for LaBrie.  But the melodies are not exciting for me.

I really like the breakdown into the guitar solo.  Those are great.  But the actual verses and choruses seem a little lackluster to me.  Again, though, that's over 2 listens.

This feels like something I would have expected as a lead single.  Or not included on the album at all.  Either way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2021, 01:05:56 PM »
I also felt that the vocal melodies weren't strong enough...BUT, I found myself humming the chorus a few times today.

So I think, ultimately, there's a quality that's a bit endearing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2021, 01:08:07 PM »
"Invisible monster, always felt but never seen
Unwelcome presence refusing to leave"

Finally, a song about my farts

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2021, 01:09:08 PM »
Listened to it a few times now and watched the music video and it’s fine.  It’s not going to crack my top 20 DT songs but I like it more than I did Untethered Angel when that came out.  I did feel that lacked any spark but grew to think it was ok.  This is better and JLB sounds much better on this, not going for too much.

I would say two solid singles but nothing to indicate that we’re about to get a classic album.  They haven’t bumped up my excitement for the album but haven’t killed it either.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2021, 01:12:58 PM »
Listened to it a few times now and watched the music video and it’s fine.  It’s not going to crack my top 20 DT songs but I like it more than I did Untethered Angel when that came out.  I did feel that lacked any spark but grew to think it was ok.  This is better and JLB sounds much better on this, not going for too much.

I would say two solid singles but nothing to indicate that we’re about to get a classic album.  They haven’t bumped up my excitement for the album but haven’t killed it either.

I agree.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #209 on: September 22, 2021, 01:15:15 PM »
Ok. First, I like it better than The Alien. And IM should've been the first single. It has DT elements and is radiofriendly.

The first thing I like it about the first verse of vocal melodies is just amazing. It's James' safe zone for sure but it's just different and it sounds so cool but second verse is so PullMeUnder-ish and lost the originality. I like chorus. Catchy and memorable vocals. Lyrics are different matter and it seems John is not good at it, has never been for me except one or two songs.

Overall, I really like it.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.