Author Topic: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 33986 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« on: September 21, 2021, 02:08:11 PM »
Same as before.  Keep all spoilery-ish chat in here so the other thread ca be more general !!

Song is out tomorrow !

Hoping that means available at midnight wherever you are!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 05:09:25 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Invisible Monsters Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 02:38:14 PM »
Listening to the 90 second preview on iTunes.

Sounds fantastic production wise !

:)

But as with the Alien - nothing really jumps out vocally as being super catchy.

Based on this - the new album will be the best sounding of the Mangini era by far.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 02:39:57 PM »
9pm in PST!!

Online Dream Team

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 02:43:23 PM »
Right, definitely no re-invention of the wheel taking place so far . . .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 02:45:37 PM »
I'm not expecting a massive 180 stylistically. After 36 years and 15 albums it's enough that the music is still good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 02:51:47 PM »

Why would you expect that?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 02:56:26 PM »
The absolute last thing I want Dream Theater to do is pull a Radiohead and throw away all their guitars and start using keyboards and drum machines exclusively.

No Thank you.

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 03:02:21 PM »
The absolute last thing I want Dream Theater to do is pull a Radiohead and throw away all their guitars and start using keyboards and drum machines exclusively.

No Thank you.

Not that, but I would love to hear the guitars used as keyboards/pads, and Mangini playing on an electronic kit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 03:06:36 PM »
Of course there are exceptions - but in my opinion - when ROCK bands start using keyboards instead of guitars - it usually means they've run out of ideas.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 03:36:55 PM »

Just listened to the song now, they sound as bored as they looked in that interview vid.  Everything they are doing now is just sounding the same, they have gotten stale and are in a rut sound wise IMO.  Didn't like this song at all.  There's no energy here whatsoever.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:47:08 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 03:45:06 PM »
How ironic it would be if they decided to take 5 years off

Offline LKap13

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 04:19:41 PM »

Just listened to the song now, they sound as bored as they looked in that interview vid.  Everything they are doing now is just sounding the same, they have gotten stale and are in a rut sound wise IMO.  Didn't like this song at all.  There's no energy here whatsoever.

If we are to believe that some ppl on the thread have indeed heard the album as they've claimed then supposedly the album is fresh and great. Who knows though. At the very least I'm happy with the production of both

Offline JRuless

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 04:20:14 PM »
Alright! Concise, need the let it sink in a bit. Same feel as I had with The Alien. No key solo. A get the feel of TEI.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 04:21:56 PM »
Listened to the song about 5/6 times and I didn't like it so much.

I "understand" the song, probably the most "commercial" on the album (people who have listened the whole thing could confirm or deny this for us), at the same time it's very dark, everybody playing tight, cool bass and drums dynamics, cool solo, some good vocal moments.

But I don't know, it didn't hit me. As any DT song, time can change it all! Still very excited for the new album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 04:23:13 PM »
Alright! Concise, need the let it sink in a bit. Same feel as I had with The Alien. No key solo. A get the feel of TEI.

I don't hear that at all.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 04:23:35 PM »
Reviews for this one are lukewarm so far!! Wasn't paralyzed the second single off d/t? And some other more mainstream song the 2nd single from a prior album? Maybe second single is just not a good spot

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 04:23:51 PM »

I haven't listened to it yet but that would be terrible if I end up agreeing lol. I think a few of the band members described high energy (paraphrasing here) throughout the album. My biggest fear indeed is that this song and the album end up sounding like recycled material, but at the same time I would not be surprised based on how this release has gone: barely anything mentioned about the album or the creative process and one single that sounds very much like what you say above. I am also keeping in mind how much OTHER music some of the band members are writing at the same time they are making this album, and wondering if maybe it was just too much.

I remember when they were writing and recording DoT we would get snippets here and there of JP or whoever else in the studio. They seemed genuinely happy about how they were making that album. I hope this one isn't just going through the motions. T minus a few hours for me .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 04:26:29 PM »
If this album ends up sounding a little uninspired then my guess about JP spreading himself too thin across 4 albums over 2 years may ring true.

Disappointing if it's not the "career highlight" level album that i've seen it touted as.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 04:26:45 PM »
Now that is underwhelming.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 04:28:00 PM »
I hope I am wrong, but as I said not just this one but both these first two tracks to me sound like a band who are bored and stale.  I hope the people saying it's fresh are right though and I can be persuaded otherwise once the album is out.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 04:28:40 PM »
If this album ends up sounding a little uninspired then my guess about JP spreading himself too thin across 4 albums over 2 years may ring true.

Disappointing if it's not the "career highlight" level album that i've seen it touted as.

This has been mostly one guy. We have no way of knowing who's actually heard what  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 04:31:08 PM »
Well then i stand by my assessment ;D

Offline Glasser

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2021, 04:56:03 PM »

This has been mostly one guy. We have no way of knowing who's actually heard what  :lol

Tough crowd as expected. I have been listening to the album since mid August and I thoroughly love it. Its a kick ass DT album! If the band had to get an OK before they included songs on an album from here, there may ever release another one. 15th album and still going strong! What does everyone want from them?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 05:03:19 PM »
That's pretty much where I am.

We're lucky they're this good after 36 years and 15 albums. Most bands end up sounding like all the bands they inspired.

I'm not even bothered if this album is a little safe. Maybe the next one will be different ! :)

Ok it's after midnight GMT. Purchased the song and listening now. . .

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2021, 05:06:31 PM »

Tough crowd as expected. I have been listening to the album since mid August and I thoroughly love it. Its a kick ass DT album! If the band had to get an OK before they included songs on an album from here, there may ever release another one. 15th album and still going strong! What does everyone want from them?

:rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »
Invisible Monster has a nice interesting middle section. Some of this track reminds me of Falling Into Infinity... :)

Online Trav86

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2021, 05:07:37 PM »

My thoughts as well. I’ve learned to take anything I read on here with a grain of salt. I realize everyone has their own tastes and opinions, but there are more negative comments on this forum than on Facebook. And that’s sad!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2021, 05:08:37 PM »
:o Oooh harmonised solo !!!!  :metal :yarr

Initial thoughts : way more melodic than i anticipated and I like it a lot more than The Alien :) :)

Now i'm excited for the album again ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2021, 05:11:36 PM »

Is it not okay to not like something they release?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2021, 05:12:16 PM »
Yes ! But not before you 've heard it ! ;D

Also now that DT have their own HQ - there's no reason all the albums from here on shouldn't sound this good.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2021, 05:13:40 PM »

We're lucky they're this good after 36 years and 15 albums. Most bands end up sounding like all the bands they inspired.

I'm not even bothered if this album is a little safe. Maybe the next one will be different ! :)

Exactly! This album has new elements, I wouldn't say its "safe" as a whole. ATM will knock you all on your asses for sure, they are saving the "meat" for the release, I love both singles but this cat only has 2 paws out of the bag!  :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 05:19:39 PM by Glasser »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2021, 05:15:33 PM »
Yeah I like this new single a lot. :)

It reminds me of Hells Kitchen meets a bit of In The Presence with a touch of DT12.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2021, 05:17:41 PM »
I hope I am wrong, but as I said not just this one but both these first two tracks to me sound like a band who are bored and stale.  I hope the people saying it's fresh are right though and I can be persuaded otherwise once the album is out.

Think of the reviews that said the very same things about Senjutsu, and how differently you feel about that album.

Iron Maiden does what Iron Maiden does. Same with Dream Theater.

Maybe it's you that's bored of Dream Theater. :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2021, 05:21:31 PM »

Think of the reviews that said the very same things about Senjutsu, and how differently you feel about that album.

Iron Maiden does what Iron Maiden does. Same with Dream Theater.

Maybe it's you that's bored of Dream Theater. :P

I thought the same. I like Reunion Maiden and I like Senjutsu, but I can take the definition of Wolfking for the current DT and easily apply it to Maiden.

EDIT: this definition "Everything they are doing now is just sounding the same, they have gotten stale and are in a rut sound wise IMO"

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2021, 05:22:27 PM »

Exactly! This album has new elements, I wouldn't say its "safe" as a whole. ATM will knock you all on your asses for sure, they are saving the "meat" for the release, I love both singles but this cat only has 2 paws out of the bag!  :)

Glasser - is it your opinion that this is the most radio friendly song on the album?