Author Topic: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 33989 times)

Offline LKap13

Re: Invisible Monster Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2021, 08:04:59 AM »
Not good. Also JP's lyrics don't do it for me

Offline TM172003

« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2021, 08:09:13 AM »
I actually quite like it. It definitely didn’t take as much time to digest as The Alien for obvious reasons but I don’t see why it’s getting the hate it is. I think I listened to The Alien a bit too much when it first released so it’s hard to judge objectively but I think I do prefer The Alien. That said, it’s a cool song and I actually really liked the melodies, including the vocals.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2021, 08:11:18 AM »
I honestly think if the lyrics were in a different language, such that they weren't hitting you squarely over the head, the song would be better

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2021, 08:15:36 AM »
I listened to it twice and I quite enjoy it. I like the somber vibe with the few small touches of more upbeat elements thrown here and there (like in the second verse).

About the melodies, I think the main melodic theme is quite nice and the vocals sound solid to me. I'll say though that I feel like the chorus starts strong (after one listen I found myself humming the "invisible mooooonsteeeeer" part) but the second half of the chorus melody feels like it's just there.

But overall, I quite enjoyed and I don't feel like the band feels bored or anything. So I'll consider myself lucky with that.

Offline majo

Re: Invisible Monsters Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2021, 08:23:05 AM »
If this album ends up sounding a little uninspired then my guess about JP spreading himself too thin across 4 albums over 2 years may ring true.

Disappointing if it's not the "career highlight" level album that i've seen it touted as.

:)
Exactly! Best ideas went to Terminal Velocity imho...
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2021, 08:29:23 AM »
Remember that interview that got posted last week where the band looked bored in it and like they wanted to be somewhere else? That is how they sound in this song. They sound bored. Hoping it gets better with subsequent listens, but I have rarely heard DT sound this bored in a song before. Feels like the cousin of A Rite of Passage, another boring tune.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2021, 08:38:21 AM »
After only one listen on some crappy ear buds, I like The Alien more. It's lacking in the melody department.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2021, 08:38:54 AM »
I actually quite like it. It definitely didn’t take as much time to digest as The Alien for obvious reasons but I don’t see why it’s getting the hate it is.
I'm with you on this. I said earlier in this thread that the negative reviews are staggering. This is a very impressive song and feels inspired to me,  and quite excellent to be honest!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline LKap13

« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2021, 08:44:56 AM »
Remember that interview that got posted last week where the band looked bored in it and like they wanted to be somewhere else? That is how they sound in this song. They sound bored. Hoping it gets better with subsequent listens, but I have rarely heard DT sound this bored in a song before. Feels like the cousin of A Rite of Passage, another boring tune.

Agree, had the same thought about arop. Nevertheless, I am SURE the rest of the album will be interesting and good

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2021, 08:50:46 AM »
One thing to clarify is that there's a difference between the song being boring and the band sounding bored. I can totally see the song being boring as it feels like a staircase to nowhere, but I don't think DT sounds bored necessarily. The band sounds tight, MM sounds great, JP's solo sounds great and his alternate picking technique hasn't budged an inch. I totally get why people feel the band sounds like they're tired after releasing that low energy interview, but I think they sound totally fine...it's just that this song is a little meandering. It's a very odd choice for a single.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2021, 08:53:11 AM »
I actually quite like it. It definitely didn’t take as much time to digest as The Alien for obvious reasons but I don’t see why it’s getting the hate it is.
I'm with you on this. I said earlier in this thread that the negative reviews are staggering. This is a very impressive song and feels inspired to me,  and quite excellent to be honest!   :metal

I'm with you guys. I think it's a straight ahead rocker which the last time I looked, it's still OK to write these kinds of songs. I liked it!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2021, 09:09:42 AM »
Barely made it through this one. Doubt it'll get another spin from me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2021, 09:14:22 AM »
I really like the song.  It kind of reminds me of being the album's Forsaken in that it is catchy, fun, and despite having a lot of things going on musically, sounds a lot more simple and straightforward than it is.  Yet another really solid addition to the DT catalog.  I can definitely see--and hear--why the band is excited about this album. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erciccio

« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2021, 09:17:53 AM »
Here are the 2 main rules to fully appreciate a new Dream Theater album:

1) don't listen to the singles before the full album comes out

2) don't bother about the reviews on the singles on the Internet, on DT forum in primis

I am fully compliant to the rule #1

I still like to read some reviews (which is a partial violation of rule #2) but I am prepared to the fact that 90% of the first reviews will be negative; it has little to do with the "quality of the song" itself, it's more a statistical bias linked to the people that tend to write comments on the web...
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2021, 09:19:46 AM »
I actually quite like it. It definitely didn’t take as much time to digest as The Alien for obvious reasons but I don’t see why it’s getting the hate it is. I think I listened to The Alien a bit too much when it first released so it’s hard to judge objectively but I think I do prefer The Alien. That said, it’s a cool song and I actually really liked the melodies, including the vocals.

This. Like, when was ever a DT single the most impressive song on the album? I think it's quite obvious to release the first real music video (and by first and real I mean one showing all of DT memebers playing/actual actors, and not just computer generated imagery) with a more straightforward, radio-friendly song.
I found it having a very strong and cohesive song structure which doesn't seem to "lose itself" derailing into long instumental passages that sound too different from the main motives and themes, musically speaking, of the whole song. No controversial opinions here, I LOVE when DT derails from the main song into instrumental madness, I'm speaking from the perspective of a random listener who is accustomed to the 'standard definition of music singles in 2021'.

This said, I found LaBrie's vocal performance very enjoyable and strong, he sounds confortable and full. I kind of wanted to hear more from Jordan but I'm hopeful he's gonna amaze me as usual, as I think these two singles (I still prefer the Alien, BTW) are nothing more than a taste of what the album could be giving us.

Judging by these two singles, I found LaBrie and Mangini a cut above the rest of the band which still remain great.
I find no reason to be doubtful or disappointed by now.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2021, 09:26:03 AM »
I have a question that I might have asked before.

I'm seeing a decent amount of reactions to negative, or at least not-positive reviews of stuff here. Such as asking the person to go into detail about what EXACTLY they didn't like about the song, or to dismiss the opinion entirely because "people on the internet" and so forth.

Does this apply to positive reviews too? Does the person that says "This song is awesome!" have to then go into exactly what they loved about it? Do their biases get called into question? It seems that if you're not on the same page as people (such as myself) who didn't like the song (or other things), then there's a tendency to dismiss that person's opinion as not legitimate. I'm not sure that's fair.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LKap13

« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2021, 09:31:35 AM »
One thing that can be said for sure is that the reviews for this song are more mixed than for previous songs. I'd venture to say this song has gotten more negative reviews than any single released from TA, Dot. Not sure how far back it goes. Take that for what it may be

Offline Art

« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2021, 09:37:41 AM »
The song is ok, my favorite parts are the intro and quieter mid-section. As with the first song, I love how the bass is sounding.

Offline DT89

« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2021, 09:37:50 AM »
For anyone who doesn't follow my transcription thread:

Dream Theater | Invisible Monster | Guitar Tab

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #159 on: September 22, 2021, 09:40:56 AM »

I'm seeing a decent amount of reactions to negative, or at least not-positive reviews of stuff here. Such as asking the person to go into detail about what EXACTLY they didn't like about the song, or to dismiss the opinion entirely because "people on the internet" and so forth.

Does this apply to positive reviews too? Does the person that says "This song is awesome!" have to then go into exactly what they loved about it? Do their biases get called into question? It seems that if you're not on the same page as people (such as myself) who didn't like the song (or other things), then there's a tendency to dismiss that person's opinion as not legitimate. I'm not sure that's fair.

Depends on the basis for negative opinion.  When the criteria are dumb or meaningless (e.g., "the band sounds bored"), yeah, I think asking for an explanation as to what that even means is warranted.  Dismissing or ignoring the trolls is also fine.  And that is clearly different from someone saying they just don't like the song, which is a perfectly fine and valid opinion to have as well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2021, 09:44:16 AM »

Depends on the basis for negative opinion.  When the criteria are dumb or meaningless (e.g., "the band sounds bored"), yeah, I think asking for an explanation as to what that even means is warranted.  Dismissing or ignoring the trolls is also fine.  And that is clearly different from someone saying they just don't like the song, which is a perfectly fine and valid opinion to have as well.

I like to have conversations about music. This song blows or this song is great are both valid opinions. But it doesn't make for very good conversation.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2021, 09:44:37 AM »
I don't disagree, and I also think it's changing a bit of what I was saying.

People who simply said they didn't like the song are being asked (and have historically been asked) to defend that and explain it, while people who say they do like the song are never asked the same thing.

Trolls are trolls, but not every negative opinion is a troll. Any negative opinion HAS been questioned regarding bias, but very few positive opinions have been called out as being biased.

I feel like Stadler here, I'm just looking for consistency. You know?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2021, 09:46:41 AM »

People who simply said they didn't like the song are being asked (and have historically been asked) to defend that and explain it, while people who say they do like the song are never asked the same thing.

Trolls are trolls, but not every negative opinion is a troll. Any negative opinion HAS been questioned regarding bias, but very few positive opinions have been called out as being biased.

I understand your point. I got it. You're not wrong.

I timestamped a spot in the solo that I liked. An no one even asked me. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LKap13

« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2021, 09:48:53 AM »
Just to add, it's ridiculously hard to stay fresh and original through decades of making art. Any bit of novelty by dt deserves highest praise. There's not much of that with this track, but again how many new ideas can one band have? I actually think the Alien is fresh and original which is why I'm stoked for the new record, to see where their genius took them this time. Not every song can be super good

Offline pcs90

« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2021, 09:49:10 AM »
This one doesn't really do it for me, but The Alien was excellent. Normally the singles will be more straight-ahead like this, so I am not worried at all given what the first single was! There's always at least one simple radio-friendly tune on each album, it's ok!

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2021, 09:55:10 AM »
You fans really crack me up.
What's so boring, disappointing, about the song that did not meet your expectations?
"Yes, Mr. Sherman, everything stinks."
Here's one question....Why do you find it to be lame and a disappointment? What makes something "lame" and "disappointing"?
From my personnal point of view (not from the top of the world) :
-As a musician I want to be shaken and surprised
-As a DT fan for now around 22 years, there are some musical choices that can be disappointing, like feeling like they didn't gamble or take enough risk, to get out of the already used things.

It's SUPER hard to explain, but in my position, a catchy song of 6 minutes with a super basic intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus/outro structure etc...Is disappointing.
And that doesn't mean that they aren't geniuses and that riffs/melodies and solos aren't creamy and good !

I prefer a 12 minutes song that sounds like 3-4 songs merged, with no obvious chorus.
I mean if all the songs were structured like metropolis pt1/a change of season/dance of eternity etc...I'd just climax :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Online Adami

« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2021, 09:55:57 AM »

I understand your point. I got it. You're not wrong.

I timestamped a spot in the solo that I liked. An no one even asked me. ;D

Oh sorry, my post was directed at Bosk. I think you snuck in right before I hit send.

-emoticon of dude shaking fist that I don't know the code for-
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dedalus

Re: Invisible Monsters Thread ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2021, 10:12:42 AM »

You guys almost sound apologetic!    People either like things or they don't.  Personally, I've had too many bad experiences with pre-releases that I haven't even listened to either song yet (and won't). That's not a reflection of the band or the music, just that I want to experience the album in a way that I can make a fair comparison to other DT records and other contemporary releases.  That is to say, I want to hear it on CD, in my car.  Personally, I think some of the proclamations being made here are premature based on less than 24 horus listening to something on your computer, but that's me.   

But at the end of the day, people are going to like or not, and questions like "what do you expect?" don't change that.  What do I "expect"?I don't know that I "expect" anything, other than five guys doing something to the best of their abilities given the circumstances of 2021, but regardless; whether they meet MY expectations or not is up to ME.

Just adding the bold part makes you more wise than half the internet.  :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2021, 10:16:19 AM »
I just listened to it again hoping for some improvement.  Nope, this is lame, what a fucking disappointment.

I’m sorry to hear that. But you can’t force yourself to like it. Hearing the album from start to finish is a different experience as this is how I heard it. You may feel the same, you may not. It’s like judging a movie based on 2 scenes, where if you watch it start to finish it makes more sense and you enjoy it. This is how I feel about this album.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2021, 10:16:23 AM »
Am I wrong or is that a picture of Corey Taylor on the wall?

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »
You fans really crack me up.
What's so boring, disappointing, about the song that did not meet your expectations?
"Yes, Mr. Sherman, everything stinks."
Here's one question....Why do you find it to be lame and a disappointment? What makes something "lame" and "disappointing"?
From my personnal point of view (not from the top of the world) :
-As a musician I want to be shaken and surprised
-As a DT fan for now around 22 years, there are some musical choices that can be disappointing, like feeling like they didn't gamble or take enough risk, to get out of the already used things.

It's SUPER hard to explain, but in my position, a catchy song of 6 minutes with a super basic intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus/outro structure etc...Is disappointing.
And that doesn't mean that they aren't geniuses and that riffs/melodies and solos aren't creamy and good !

I prefer a 12 minutes song that sounds like 3-4 songs merged, with no obvious chorus.
I mean if all the songs were structured like metropolis pt1/a change of season/dance of eternity etc...I'd just climax :D

Now that's a detailed explanation.

I feel like DT have found their comfort zone after basically reinventing songs. It's quite nice hearing them grab influences from their past and incorporating them into something different, it's like modifying a recipe or more updating the furniture with new furniture, it's still a couch but newer.

So I myself am not expecting DT to make a song that is new, or shakes me or surprises me. As a musician I tend not to analyze the music theory as I do not know enough about it to analyze it. But also, if I did understand musical theory more, I would incorporate that knowledge to explain why they decided to use that progression, chord choice, whatever, as a means to portray an emotion that vibes with the lyrics.

To me, I analyze songs differently than how most analyze songs.

I have many reasons for enjoying songs. And what I enjoy about this song is how much is actually going on and it's so smooth that it sounds like they're playing it safe.

I agree with Bosk though about Forsaken, I do not really enjoy it but I do understand the reasons for it's structure and it works well, especially when I compare it to Static-X Cold and how that song was used on a soundtrack for a movie about Vampires.

This one has that Paralyzed feel mixed with Forsakens simplicity.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LKap13

« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2021, 10:18:07 AM »

Yes, yes it is.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2021, 10:20:07 AM »
I think it is a good song - although it follows a regular/format, its catchy and has a nice atmosphere, and the production is stellar. I do think that the song will make much more sense in the context of the album, rather than a stand alone track. E.g if DT released say Spirit Carries On on Scenes, that wouldn’t tell much of the album as well, and probably result in some negative reactions as a single, yet in terms of that albums pacing it fits perfectly. Sometimes I wish bands would not release anything before an album so that the element of cohersion would remain, but that is just romantic nostalgia I guess

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2021, 10:22:00 AM »

Yes, yes it is.

That's so random, but also a missed opportunity. Corey could have provided legit backing vocals representing the monster, and he wouldn't have sounded like an angry New Yorker trying to intimidate a baby.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2021, 10:22:44 AM »
The fact that glaser is saying the album should be appreciated as a whole is good news imo. When I first heard dot I thought "this is a special album", but now no longer. It's so hard to predict how music will age. At the moment, I'm feeling as though Alien is better than any song on Dot, but again that might be novelty