Author Topic: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 39126 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #420 on: September 08, 2021, 08:45:40 AM »
:\ hmmm guess i'm just used to everyone getting pissy about literally anything I post....

If "everyone" is getting pissy at your posts, you may want to consider what the common denominator is.

In any case, stuff like this:

Only coz I have to put up with d---s like you

is not acceptable. If you are finding posts hard to put up with, might I suggest you log off and take a break, lest a more permanent one be reimposed upon you. Consider this your last reminder.

The idea this guy needs to be handled with kids gloves is ridiculous. I actually logged in for first time in years to send a mods a message about him, he clearly needs help.

And then he calls me a dick. He is a toxic personality who needs to be dealt with by banning forever.

I heard he has a degree in guitar though.

And precisely NONE of what you posted is acceptable or helpful in any way.  So consider yourself warned as well for personally attacking him.  Yes, his response was completely inappropriate.  But that response was 100% instigated by you. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #421 on: September 08, 2021, 08:52:34 AM »
The idea this guy needs to be handled with kids gloves is ridiculous. I actually logged in for first time in years to send a mods a message about him, he clearly needs help.

And then he calls me a dick. He is a toxic personality who needs to be dealt with by banning forever.

I heard he has a degree in guitar though.

1. Who gets banned and when is not your decision, its the mods and admin's decision. What we NEED to do is follow our own protocols and judgement.
2. Being snarky and suggesting people need "help" does nothing to help deescalate things, so refrain from that if you would be so kind.
3. If you have a problem with a user or post, report it or PM one of the mod team. Threads like these are not the proper place for airing your grievances.

EDIT: In after the Bosk.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #422 on: September 08, 2021, 10:23:24 AM »
I've barely listened to The Alien. Maybe a handful of times but I don't need to listen to it again until the album is out.

I was in that boat but put it on last week and it finally clicked. Now the problem is that I don't do streaming services or whatever so youtube is the only way I can listen to it which is a hassle to use. So I may hold off on listening to it more until I can do so properly.

Drives me nuts that they don't do the chorus more. I love that melody even though its pretty simplistic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #423 on: September 08, 2021, 10:28:37 AM »
YET AGAIN, it's been proven to me.  I heard the first NMB song (I can't even remember what it was) and hated it, and right now, I&D is my album of the year, and not a duff song on it.   I listened to WOTW and Stratego by Maiden and was like "eh, Maiden by numbers, but surely the tour will be good and I love the album cover!" and now that the album is out, I can't even pick the best song, they're all so good.   So I'm going to cool my jets and wait until the album is released. 

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #424 on: September 08, 2021, 05:10:45 PM »
YET AGAIN, it's been proven to me.  I heard the first NMB song (I can't even remember what it was) and hated it, and right now, I&D is my album of the year, and not a duff song on it.   I listened to WOTW and Stratego by Maiden and was like "eh, Maiden by numbers, but surely the tour will be good and I love the album cover!" and now that the album is out, I can't even pick the best song, they're all so good.   So I'm going to cool my jets and wait until the album is released.

I had the same thing with Senjutsu. My first overall listen left me with a "meh" feeling, but it was definitely a grower. I really love it now, and both WOTW (which has, imo, Adrian Smith's best solo in the reunion era) and Stratego grew A LOT in the context of the album. Reading the lyrics to the title-track also helped me loads. I already had noticed that the song was rather desperate and depressing, but reading that it was about a castle or kingdom being attacked and then it finally getting under siege in the middle of the song made the song grow ridiculously to me, to the point that it's one of my favourites in the album. It goes without saying that Bruce's theatrical approach also helped a lot. Janick, again, surprised me with The Time Machine. He is probably my favourite composer in the band. Although I already absolutely love The Alien, I'm sure the song will be even more amazing with the full album.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 05:16:10 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: September 08, 2021, 06:04:29 PM »
Also, the self pity act is played out and not even well done.

Yep! Thinking about killing myself every day is all an act to hopefully get DTF to love me!! You got me !

...Surely making light of people's struggle with Mental Health is a little bit worse than being a bit grumpy on a web page ?

:tup

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #426 on: September 08, 2021, 06:40:24 PM »

Yep! Thinking about killing myself every day is all an act to hopefully get DTF to love me!! You got me !

...Surely making light of people's struggle with Mental Health is a little bit worse than being a bit grumpy on a web page ?

Fyi, there's a difference between struggling with mental health & using it as an excuse to outlash at people only to then guilt-trip said people when backed into a corner.

I've had to learn this lesson in the past too, so it's not like I don't understand how you feel, but I don't think you're helping yourself or anyone else by continuing to act this way.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #427 on: September 08, 2021, 08:13:07 PM »

Mate, I’m genuinely asking here and not being a dick, but what is your end goal with all of this? I only ask as if it’s about enjoying a forum for a band you like and having some good banter with others then that’s great. But as an outsider looking in who doesn’t post all that much, it just seems by the tone of many of your posts that you look at pushing peoples buttons and often have a negative vibe to many your posts, which often make me question if you even like the band (and no, I don’t mean we have to love everything the band does).

Trust me, I’m at an age where if someone has a go at me, I’ll dig my heels in and tell them to fuck right off. But if I’m to be honest, if I read posts here objectively, that doesn’t seem to be happening here. It appears that many may comment on a negative post or vibe given off and then you tend to overreact and the situation snowballs. Perhaps you can’t see that, and that’s fine, as we like to back ourselves in. But again, the question - what do you want out of this and what’s the end goal. In any case, just putting it out there. I happen to enjoy some of your ideas about not always liking some of the “golden era” albums etc. and have zero against you personally, so I hope you do stay around (just a bit less grumpy  ;)). Peace brother  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #428 on: September 08, 2021, 08:17:27 PM »
No. You got him wrong. He's been around a long time. I don't agree with him a lot but it's never about starting issues with others. It's just his opinion.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #429 on: September 08, 2021, 08:28:09 PM »
No. You got him wrong. He's been around a long time. I don't agree with him a lot but it's never about starting issues with others. It's just his opinion.

Cool. Maybe it’s just the way it comes across and just some of the more recent posts I’ve seen have made me cringe a bit. And based on some of the responses there seems to be a history there, talk of bannings etc. I haven’t posted a heap, but been here over 10 years myself and as I say, I enjoy some of his opinions different to the norm and have no issue personally. Just basing it off what I’m reading of late  :tup

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #430 on: September 09, 2021, 12:54:07 AM »
Since Kotowboy is becoming the topic in this thread, is he the Alien? Let's get back to the song please.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: September 09, 2021, 03:51:11 AM »
When I first heard it I thought of a less heavy Untethered Angel. It has a very similar vibe to me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: September 09, 2021, 04:45:49 AM »
The 1st release is usually my least favorite song on the album. Not always true but a high %.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #433 on: September 09, 2021, 05:54:23 AM »
When I first heard it I thought of a less heavy Untethered Angel. It has a very similar vibe to me.

Yeah, the intro riffs feel similar.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #434 on: September 09, 2021, 06:31:33 AM »
Unfortunately JP does those simplistic chugging riffs in a lot of the verse sections of songs, especially the first verse. Wish he would do something a little more imaginative in those sections but maybe it's intentional to not distract from the vocals?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #435 on: September 09, 2021, 08:05:32 AM »
Unfortunately JP does those simplistic chugging riffs in a lot of the verse sections of songs, especially the first verse. Wish he would do something a little more imaginative in those sections but maybe it's intentional to not distract from the vocals?

This. I think it's nice to have a break from the flurry of notes. And yes, the vocal melodies tend to open up when juxtaposed against a simple, tonal pedal-tone.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #436 on: September 09, 2021, 12:14:02 PM »

This. I think it's nice to have a break from the flurry of notes. And yes, the vocal melodies tend to open up when juxtaposed against a simple, tonal pedal-tone.

Well I don't mean a flurry of notes, but maybe Metallica style riffs Judas Priest riffs. Those singers have no problem singing over the top of them.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #437 on: September 09, 2021, 12:36:07 PM »

Ahhh, I hear you—good call!

I suppose Jordan often provides counterpoint (like a second guitarist might).

Take ‘Outcry’ for instance—JPs riff is hella simple, but JR provides JLB’s vocal with the melodic accompaniment.

Well I don't mean a flurry of notes, but maybe Metallica style riffs Judas Priest riffs. Those singers have no problem singing over the top of them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #438 on: September 09, 2021, 01:19:52 PM »
I am straight up loving this song--moreso than is typical for initial singles. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #439 on: September 09, 2021, 01:24:52 PM »
So do I, it's the band's greatest initial single leading up to an album to date IMHO. The perfect balance of technique, musicality and beauty. (the reaction I had for myself after I listened to it for the first time was similar to whenever I listened to Dramatic Turn and DT12 for the first time, and Met2 really early on as well. That times ten and you have my reaction to TA.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #440 on: September 09, 2021, 01:33:49 PM »
I tried to listen to the song only a handful of times, failed miserably  ;D

But I sense this one will not feel weary like the others singles from previous albums, cause it has more elements to be surprised by. I think it's very rich in details.

Offline JLa

« Reply #441 on: September 09, 2021, 01:54:25 PM »
Review / reaction from Doug Helvering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfLzWyiJ8Hc

Offline emtee

« Reply #442 on: September 09, 2021, 02:06:43 PM »
Cool to watch. Love those brief, wtf, distorted facial expressions..."wow!"

And even he says, "the drums sound great!"

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #443 on: September 09, 2021, 02:07:17 PM »
I was pleased by the Alien, though I found it a little formulaic for Dream Theater.

It's really a 100-mph riff salad with plenty of cool guitar parts. Some remind me of things JP has written already, which is my biggest knock on the single. My favorite aspects were the drums and the overall mix. Mangini totally killed it-- LOVE the intensity and the interesting parts (though my polyrhythm knowledge isn't strong enough to say exactly what is happening everywhere). I feel like you can really hear the bass clearly for once.

I thought the topic and lyrics were good. The vocal melody isn't particularly strong but it's not weak either; it's just fine.

Overall, it has a lot of the things I love about DT but just feels like they've done this before. I hope the rest of the album is a little more interesting.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: September 09, 2021, 02:09:50 PM »

I listened to it 3 times and each time it got better.  I didn't want to overplay it so I wouldn't skip it when the album came out.  I tend to do that.

Offline JLa

« Reply #445 on: September 09, 2021, 02:35:56 PM »
"Ah, I got it!"
 "- Now they've gone onto something else."

- Doug Helvering

:lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #446 on: September 09, 2021, 03:08:36 PM »
I'm just loving the groove of John Myung and Mangini. Especially the ending groove. That's an awesome progression as well, and gets me pumped up and just get's me energetic.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #447 on: September 09, 2021, 03:16:33 PM »
I tried to listen to the song only a handful of times, failed miserably  ;D

But I sense this one will not feel weary like the others singles from previous albums, cause it has more elements to be surprised by. I think it's very rich in details.

I am loving reading the reactions to the single, but not tempted to listen until the whole album come out.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #448 on: September 09, 2021, 06:46:14 PM »
I have made a point of not listening to this song too much to avoid skipping it when the album comes out. From the few times I've listened to it I have really liked it, and it gets better with each listen. The drums sound OUTSTANDING. It's almost like going from HD to 4K resolution but with sound compared to previous albums. I think the best thing I can say is that it doesn't feel like a single. It feels like a mini-epic, and while there are familiar elements, I couldn't guess where the song was going, which is something I couldn't say about OTBOA, TEI, or UA. Even after sporadic repeated listens I'm not anticipating anything.

Petrucci's solo is tasty. No one does shred and melodies like this guy. I also hope there is a bit of intention in the similarity with PBD in the first verse. I love nuggets like that: two songs about space sharing a hint of something but being completely unique. I'm sure it's accidental but if not then this hits me where I live.

If this is a hint of where the album is going: fasten your seatbelts. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #449 on: September 10, 2021, 07:41:37 PM »
Really cool drum breakdown video from a fan here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC3tiQqyICQ

This guy knows his stuff, and it's cool how, with various passages, he kind of breaks down different ways of annotating the time signatures and how they "feel" to a drummer (and the rest of the band).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #450 on: September 10, 2021, 10:35:10 PM »
And he studied under Mangini! What I like about the breakdown is he did this only on his second listen, so he was really trying to figure it out and not just pretending to.

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #451 on: September 10, 2021, 11:29:04 PM »
Really cool drum breakdown video from a fan here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC3tiQqyICQ

This guy knows his stuff, and it's cool how, with various passages, he kind of breaks down different ways of annotating the time signatures and how they "feel" to a drummer (and the rest of the band).

Knew it was him before even clicking the link. Amazing channel, huge recommendation for any musician, not just drummers.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: September 11, 2021, 04:45:34 AM »
I've heard the song a few times now and apart from " ALLLIIENNN " chorus - nothing really sticks in my memory. As others have said It's just 'ok'.

I'm sure it'll get more familiar when the album comes out.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #453 on: September 11, 2021, 05:21:07 AM »
Well, when I heard my 8 year old son started humming the outro solo (and continues to this day), that was my validation that this song has a melodic hook.  :rollin
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 07:38:13 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #454 on: September 11, 2021, 05:43:38 AM »
Well, when I heard my 8 year old son started hummong the outro solo (and continues to this day), that was my validation that thisnsong has a melodic hook.  :rollin
That's awesome!   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP