Author Topic: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 38625 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #315 on: August 27, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »
I wish they didn’t have the time constraints that they did on Score. Stream of Consciousness should have been played with Vacant.

Yeah, same here.  I played around with different variations of the set list to see whether that could happen, and couldn't find a way to make space for it.  The most likely way would be if you cut TALW (which I am in favor of), and went with shorter available songs from WDADU, I&W, and FII, and that still doesn't get you enough additional time to fit SOC.  Adding the entire SDOIT really tied their hands on the set list within the structure of what they were trying to do (represent their entire catalog from the Majesty period through the current album AND support their new album).  I get why those chose to play SDOIT.  And I'm glad they did.  It was the perfect opportunity to do something like that, and it was awesome that they did.  But the consequence of them including it is that it destroyed a lot of their options to play anything other than what they did.  And in the grand scheme of things, that's fine.  It's a great set.  It's just that, in hindsight, a lot of us would have preferred some different songs in some of those slots.  In the end, it is what it is.

They could've dropped Metropolis, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #316 on: August 27, 2021, 11:19:43 AM »
They could have.  But there's no reason they should have.  I don't think dropping one of the possibly three "definitive DT songs" from the set and, simultaneously, deciding not to have an encore is something that hardly anyone would consider to be an improvement. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #317 on: August 27, 2021, 11:30:14 AM »
They could have.  But there's no reason they should have.  I don't think dropping one of the possibly three "definitive DT songs" from the set and, simultaneously, deciding not to have an encore is something that hardly anyone would consider to be an improvement.

And I think the choice of having Vacant and The Answer Lies Within in there was to have a little bit of a breather. After the epic SDOIT and then Sacrificed Sons and Octavarium, a little space in the middle was good to break those up. When Score first came out, I didn’t like the setlist but over time I feel that it works perfectly.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #318 on: August 27, 2021, 11:43:09 AM »

And I think the choice of having Vacant and The Answer Lies Within in there was to have a little bit of a breather. After the epic SDOIT and then Sacrificed Sons and Octavarium, a little space in the middle was good to break those up.

Yeah.  And one can certainly argue that they were just trying to do TOO MUCH by wanting to represent their entire catalog AND heavily promote their new album (which included a 24 minute epic), while also then incorporating a 40+ minute song and an orchestra, all in one show.  That's a valid opinion.  But bottom line is, that's what they decided, and that wasn't going to change.  And that series of decisions pretty much locked the vast majority of the set into place.  So at the end of the day, we can either like or dislike the decision, but lamenting over particular song choices is pretty pointless. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:57:20 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #319 on: August 27, 2021, 11:49:08 AM »
There are tons of other great sounding shows from that tour so anyone can find a decent version of anything they're looking for.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: August 27, 2021, 01:25:31 PM »

Also, that's probably my favorite live version of Metropolis, and the best use of the orchestra (on a song that didn't already have an orchestra).  I miss the French horns whenever I listen to any other version of that song.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #321 on: August 27, 2021, 04:43:23 PM »
Yep, love Metropolis with the Orchestra, like you, it’s my favourite version of the song.

I think the set is great in that it represents all the albums and, for the most part, it’s all songs that weren’t on any of the other main live albums.  I’d much rather have a professionally recorded live SDOIT, which didn’t exist previously, over another live recording of SOC when we just got that on the previous live release.

A lot of these songs were not fan favourites but that’s because we already had live versions of most of those and Mike was always conscious of not repeating things on live releases.  I raised my eyebrows when I saw the set list for the dvd as there’s not many of my faves on there.  As it happens though, it works great and is far and away my most watched live dvd of Dream Theater.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #323 on: August 27, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avFxqG3BC7U
I don't know whether to like that or loathe it.  :lol
Glad to see James is into it and having fun though.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #324 on: August 27, 2021, 06:16:44 PM »
Well that was good actually.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #325 on: August 27, 2021, 07:22:52 PM »
Way to derail a thread to Score.

Offline illusionist

« Reply #326 on: August 28, 2021, 12:34:51 AM »
Guys,guys,guys....
It's a topic about The Alien,not about Score,not about DT live albums,and not about MP drumming.

You can take your disagreements to so many other existing threads where people disagree about anything DT related.
You can even start a new DISAGREEMENTS thread,where you can fight about anything,and keep all the others clean,for people to talk.
We don't need you to derail a NEW one,as @erwinrafael said.

That thing where a thread turns into whatever anyone says and all the others comment on his irrelevant post here in this forum is very annoying.
It's time to stop.
Either we want DT fans to participate here and share their opinions,in a tidy way,or some people will continue to annoy other members,
and the admins will keep allowing it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #327 on: August 28, 2021, 01:12:50 AM »
 I hear ya bro,  but trust me, that's the nature of the beast around these parts.   ;)   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: August 28, 2021, 02:44:28 AM »
Way to derail a thread to Score.

It wouldn't have been derailed had someone not taken an unnecessary swing at MP :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #329 on: August 28, 2021, 04:13:03 AM »
Don't think this has been posted yet, Shawn Crowder did a video dissecting some of the drum parts of The Alien:
https://youtu.be/uC3tiQqyICQ
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: August 28, 2021, 04:15:54 AM »
Haha. Nothing makes me cringe like anything extra terrestrial being " out of this world ".  :rollin

It's probably the most over-used cliche there is.

Also reminds me that I saw a drum channel video trying to re-create Mike Portnoy's kit and they just *had* to drop in a "Labrie sucks lol."  ::)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 04:20:55 AM by Kotowboy »

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: August 28, 2021, 11:12:52 AM »
Watch Mike Mangini match the album track for The Alien at 110% speed as part of his preparation for the Top Of The World Tour!

https://youtu.be/EFx19PMxGTc

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #332 on: August 28, 2021, 11:18:28 AM »
Mike Mangini is the alien. That drumming is sick.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #333 on: August 28, 2021, 11:34:35 AM »
Incredible!  :metal :hefdaddy
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #334 on: August 28, 2021, 11:53:57 AM »
I like that drum set a lot!  :coolio

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #335 on: August 28, 2021, 12:05:09 PM »
So if it is sped up to 110% of the original shouldn't the vocals also be sped up?

Back in the day, we used to do the speed trick in rehearsals in theater. It sure helped to memorize lines and kept the crew on our toes. This carried over to my band days where we would rehearse songs in double time. Great tool for muscle memory.

Oh - and MM -  :metal :metal

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #336 on: August 28, 2021, 12:22:35 PM »
Having been disappointed by all DT releases since ADTOE, I didn't expect much from this album. I have just listened this song for the second time; the first time, it sounded very promising. The second time (now), I was blown away by how good it felt. A lot of sections left me amazed, one of those being the end of the guitar solo with that Blind Faith/Steve Vai vibe

I will certainly need more listens to digest this properly, but my god, this song has been amazing so far, coming together perfectly, not at all disconnected like some claimed.

I have been very critical of over-compressed song structures in the last few albums, so now I really have to say THANK YOU DT for finally giving the song breathing space and taking time to develop the motives/melodies.

If they keep this up for the whole album, I might end up becoming the DT fanboy again like I was in high school!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 12:31:34 PM by Pax »
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline emtee

« Reply #337 on: August 28, 2021, 12:31:56 PM »
Very impressive! Love his new setup. Can't say enough about how amazing that performance is. Still feeling like this will be a top tier album and I can't wait to hear it!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #338 on: August 28, 2021, 01:42:15 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this isn't MM new drum setup, but only the drum configuration necessary to play The Alien. But, I also think this one's works greatly!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #339 on: August 28, 2021, 03:16:28 PM »
Mike Mangini is the alien. That drumming is sick.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #340 on: August 28, 2021, 03:35:25 PM »
That was an amazing drum playthrough and it was great to hear it in a faster speed, but it does sound too fast and that's the speed MP would've been playing the song in.  :biggrin: :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Chomesuque

« Reply #341 on: August 28, 2021, 04:39:13 PM »
That was an amazing drum playthrough and it was great to hear it in a faster speed, but it does sound too fast and that's the speed MP would've been playing the song in.  :biggrin: :lol

Here we go again :lol
She learned to detach from herself
A behaviour that kept her alIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIve

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: August 28, 2021, 05:27:29 PM »
So if it is sped up to 110% of the original shouldn't the vocals also be sped up?

Not if it's time stretched. You can speed up the song without changing the pitch.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: August 28, 2021, 05:29:09 PM »
I find with a lot of Mangini era DT songs - that non 'epic' tracks feel like they sort of wind down as if they were writing an epic.

I don't know how to explain it. Like a 7 minute song will have the big finale and de-crescendo.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #344 on: August 28, 2021, 06:33:54 PM »
Some people still shitting on Mangini in the Youtube video in his personal channel because Portnoy supposedly could have played this song with more feel.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: August 29, 2021, 04:19:05 AM »
This video was actually one of the times I thought Mangini *didn't* sound mechanical.

If it was Portnoy - it would be full of his bag of tricks.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #346 on: August 29, 2021, 04:33:53 AM »
This video was actually one of the times I thought Mangini *didn't* sound mechanical.

I can almost hear the overuse of 16th notes.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #347 on: August 29, 2021, 05:15:15 AM »

I can almost hear the overuse of 16th notes.

If you watch the video, the song is actually full of 16th notes.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #348 on: August 29, 2021, 06:55:43 AM »

If it were Portnoy, I'm not sure this song gets written.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #349 on: August 29, 2021, 07:41:03 AM »
If it were Portnoy, I'm not sure this song gets written.

It was Mangini who brought in the 5+5+7 pattern that a large chunk of the song was based on, so it certainly wouldn't exist without him.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."