Author Topic: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 38428 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #490 on: September 24, 2021, 06:28:49 AM »
There were ITPOE bits on LTE3 as well.

Maybe it's time for that 1-5 year break.

I don't like your recent posts. Maybe it's time for 5 year break.

:lol

If you take the time to look at my posts, you'll notice I didn't post here for years at a time, sans an occasional post.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #491 on: September 24, 2021, 07:06:30 AM »
There were ITPOE bits on LTE3 as well.

Maybe it's time for that 1-5 year break.

For you or the band?

I've taken multiple breaks from the band since I first got into them nearly 20 years ago, but I nearly gave up on them after DT12, and then The Astonishing came out and besides a few solid cuts, the bloat of it all really soured my mood on the band and the fall out of MP leaving, the band's reaction to him leaving, all that drama, has left a lingering bitter taste in my mouth. My expectations for their new material has been at an all time low. I enjoyed DoT when it first came out because of that, but after the honeymoon period I realized DoT was just a slightly better DT12 but without a side-long epic. I still keep up because they DO put out a cool song here and there, and I respect their musicianship. I stick around here because I like the discussion of other bands with members of this forum.

Look mate, to each his own, I just don’t really find I need to take breaks from bands I enjoy. I will absolutely have periods where I listen to other stuff a bunch, or bits and pieces as I go, but I never felt the need to actively take a break from listening to the band (or any band for that matter).

I can comfortably say that the period from TOT - BCASL is my least favourite of the band, however, there are still some songs I love on those albums, so I just listen to those. Occasionally there will be a track from that period I haven’t heard for a while and if it randomly comes up I’ll be like “that actually sounds better than I remember. But overall, there is stuff on every album I enjoy.

The only thing that does seem evident from your post, is that it seems like you are almost going into their new stuff almost not wanting to like it, or going in with a negative vibe. In my experience, that will almost always result in not enjoying something as much, because even if there is stuff that you like the sound of, the things that you don’t like as much will be highlighted, to almost “prove it to yourself” if you will. It absolutely could be that you flat out just don’t like it and that’s also fair however. But from what you’ve said in terms of the Astonishing and the Mike Portnoy thing, it appears deeper than that. In any case, all due respect, I hope you find something to enjoy with the new album  :tup

Not only have I taken a break from DT in the past, I've taken breaks from all prog rock related music for years at a time. There's too much music out there to stick to listening to only prog rock/metal, or rock/metal in general, for me at least. I totally enjoy ADTOE, and went into DT12 with a positive attitude before it came out. I just get a cold, clinical feeling from the newer material, and also sense a lack of compositional chops from the band, who come up with tons of interesting ideas, but don't seem totally sure how to put it all together since MP left, unless it involves arrangements that were already done in the past with greater results, with rare exceptions.

Fair enough too mate - as I say, not every album is for everyone and we’re all a bit different. For what you feel has become somewhat clinical with their new stuff, that’s the exact way I felt about MP’s last 4 albums. It’s what makes us all different.

All I know is, I like what I like, and I don’t worry about expectations or what has happened with past members in the band etc. I just go for music that is pleasing to my ears, and for me, I feel super lucky to have that in abundance with the newer material. I actually love The Astonishing, and I feel it is musically and compositionally fantastic. And to me, DoT doesn’t sound anything like DT12 - it just sounds like DoT - it’s own entity - which still gets regular spins for me. I don’t really get the feeling of sourness or bitterness - again, Black Clouds is easily my least favourite and I pretty much only really like The Count. But that’s ok, I just listen to that and the plethora of other music I love from the band. Totally all good tho, and I definitely appreciate your own explanation of feeling different.

Agree with music in general though - there’s some great stuff to enjoy from so many genres. I must say though, when some of the young crew come into my work and put on their playlists, I look at them disgusted and remind them they “all need more guitar solos in their dreary lives” ;D

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #492 on: September 24, 2021, 07:35:02 AM »
jayvee3, reading your latest posts, about last couple of albums with MP and their music now... I'd say, feel it same way.

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #493 on: September 24, 2021, 11:52:33 AM »
People and tastes evolve over time. Also people connect to others differently. MP obviously had a special connection to a significant portion of the fanbase, that will likely associate his departure with any perceived change in DT's style or arrangements.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #494 on: September 24, 2021, 08:08:35 PM »
This song is just better and better with each listen. I listened with IM following. After, I really wanted to hear TA again. Feeling kind of epic-y.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #495 on: September 29, 2021, 10:16:13 AM »
Listened to the track again and I still think it's a masterpiece. One thing that occurs to me is that even though not all their lyrics are "artistic", the content is often very prescient and relevant

Offline darkshade

« Reply #496 on: October 01, 2021, 09:21:21 AM »
Agree with music in general though - there’s some great stuff to enjoy from so many genres. I must say though, when some of the young crew come into my work and put on their playlists, I look at them disgusted and remind them they “all need more guitar solos in their dreary lives” ;D

I enjoy music regardless of genre or style, and I enjoy some "mainstream" stuff when it's good. IMO kids/teens listen to substandard music on the whole, but that was going on when I was a teenager too, and before I was born. I find a lot of popular music from the 50s-90s to be pretty crappy or corny or just plain bad to my tastes too, but I do think its worse today than ever though, as even in the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s there were still a good amount of decent songs and albums that were popular. Everything now that isn't approved music by iHeart radio and other corporate entities, is divided into niche audiences.

The irony is we have access to at least 90% of all music for free at our fingertips and younger people generally stick to the same 0.05% of music that usually falls under "mainstream" music. There is little to no rock-related music in the mainstream these days, rock has gone the way of jazz, and hip-hop is not far behind, (the best stuff is underground now) nor is much of it performed by actual players, and if it is, it's processed to all hell, and with rare exception, all sounds the same, and showcases little to no musicianship from the players.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #497 on: October 01, 2021, 10:09:00 AM »

I enjoy music regardless of genre or style, and I enjoy some "mainstream" stuff when it's good. IMO kids/teens listen to substandard music on the whole, but that was going on when I was a teenager too, and before I was born. I find a lot of popular music from the 50s-90s to be pretty crappy or corny or just plain bad to my tastes too, but I do think its worse today than ever though, as even in the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s there were still a good amount of decent songs and albums that were popular. Everything now that isn't approved music by iHeart radio and other corporate entities, is divided into niche audiences.

The irony is we have access to at least 90% of all music for free at our fingertips and younger people generally stick to the same 0.05% of music that usually falls under "mainstream" music. There is little to no rock-related music in the mainstream these days, rock has gone the way of jazz, and hip-hop is not far behind, (the best stuff is underground now) nor is much of it performed by actual players, and if it is, it's processed to all hell, and with rare exception, all sounds the same, and showcases little to no musicianship from the players.

Yea, I agree with all of that. I have so many young crew come into my work and crank their playlists - they enjoy it and it keeps them coming back, but there is just such little variety. If there is some music that gets played that challenges what they have been accustomed to listen to, they simply just can't get their head around it. I'm old and have grown up with so many styles and influences, I just have a good chuckle to myself  ;D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #498 on: October 01, 2021, 10:47:40 AM »

Sounds like NOMACS are not far off. As people don't have the time for music and only listen to what the NOMACS create.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #499 on: October 01, 2021, 01:00:42 PM »

Sounds like NOMACS are not far off. As people don't have the time for music and only listen to what the NOMACS create.

I guess you could say people just don't have the time for music anymore... and no one seems to care  ;D