Author Topic: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 38633 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #280 on: August 17, 2021, 07:06:50 AM »

It’s funny that most bands release their best songs as singles.  You can’t imagine Bon Jovi for example saying “don’t release Livin On A Prayer, keep the best stuff back for the album”.

Bon Jovi almost didn't include "Livin' on a Prayer" on the album at all!

You guys might get a kick out of this article.

https://www.ranker.com/list/hit-songs-almost-left-off-album/kelly-patrick

So the Queen movie wasn't accurate?!?   Horror!   :) :) :)

Offline HOF

« Reply #281 on: August 17, 2021, 07:23:57 AM »

It’s funny that most bands release their best songs as singles.  You can’t imagine Bon Jovi for example saying “don’t release Livin On A Prayer, keep the best stuff back for the album”.

Shit Billie Jean! I don't think it's an overstatement to say that would have been a history changing moment  :omg:

Smells Like Teen Spirit even more so. MJ was already a star before Billie Jean. But would grunge have gone mainstream and changed rock in the 90s without Smells Like Teen Spirit?

Offline emtee

« Reply #282 on: August 17, 2021, 07:30:01 AM »
Gave the song a couple days rest, then played it again this morning. Still love it musically and still only lukewarm vocally.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #283 on: August 17, 2021, 07:50:29 AM »

I know they tell that story but I think it’s total BS.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #284 on: August 17, 2021, 08:16:29 AM »

So the Queen movie wasn't accurate?!?   Horror!   :) :) :)

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2021, 08:22:36 AM »
So I am playing the song right now then I heard my 8-year old humming the JP outro solo while he's drawing Pokemon. This daddy's heart is filled with joy.  :lol

I don't believe you.  We already established several pages ago that the song lacks melody and hooks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2021, 09:05:54 AM »
So I am playing the song right now then I heard my 8-year old humming the JP outro solo while he's drawing Pokemon. This daddy's heart is filled with joy.  :lol

I don't believe you.  We already established several pages ago that the song lacks melody and hooks.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2021, 11:31:58 AM »

Shit Billie Jean! I don't think it's an overstatement to say that would have been a history changing moment  :omg:

Smells Like Teen Spirit even more so. MJ was already a star before Billie Jean. But would grunge have gone mainstream and changed rock in the 90s without Smells Like Teen Spirit?

Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were making waves at the same time, so I'm not sure dropping Nirvana out of the mix would kill the trend.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2021, 05:46:20 PM »
Usually bands release as first single the most "accessible" song, so if this is the tip of the iceberg... I think it's gonna be a feast  ;)

I do want to caution people against assuming this. Historically this has been the case, but in recent years I think some prog and metal bands have moved away from this. Presumably the rationale for doing this in the past has been to put forward the song most likely to get mainstream attention, but I think there's starting to be a realization somewhere in the world of prog/metal bands and labels that this is vanishingly unlikely to happen and it's instead a better idea to put forward something that's going to excite your core audience and attract people who are on the fringes of your audience.

See, for example, Avantasia releasing The Raven Child, the longest song on the album at 11 minutes, as the lead single for Moonglow. One of the least accessible songs on the album, but a perfect choice to get Avantasia fans excited, bring in Blind Guardian fans due to Hansi Kursch's prominent guest spot, and potentially appeal to prog metal fans.

Oh, I'm aware of this since Pink Floyd released "High hopes" as a single fom 1994's "The division bell". And more recently, Helloween with "Skyfall" (that's why I put "usually"). But in both cases those were the last songs of the albums. TA is an opener...

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #289 on: August 17, 2021, 11:17:08 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised that we get the first three songs before the album release in the same manner as DOT. That leaves about 45 min of music left for album release.

Offline genome

« Reply #290 on: August 18, 2021, 07:04:33 AM »
Yep, the song's clicked with me now, really enjoying it. You'd think that, after 16 years of being into the band, I'd let things digest before making my mind up, but there you go  :lol

It's miles better than Untethered Angel as a lead single, for me. And I ended up really enjoying the rest of DOT, so that bodes really well.

I'm also really enjoying the production. I think Dream Theater's music works better with a more natural sounding mix, as opposed to the really hyped sound of DOT.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #291 on: August 18, 2021, 07:21:00 AM »

ololololololololololol
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline darkshade

« Reply #292 on: August 23, 2021, 01:35:34 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised that we get the first three songs before the album release in the same manner as DOT. That leaves about 45 min of music left for album release.

This is a big reason I'm avoiding all singles until album release. It kind of spoiled DoT first listen for me, and the singles became some of my least favorite DT.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #293 on: August 24, 2021, 08:10:17 AM »
It's exciting that when the song ends I'm just itching to hear more.... the mix and production are so good that it really makes me super excited for the album.   I really like the Alien and if the rest of the album is as good this will be a killer record.

As an aside, totally off topic, I'm not a huge Live Album guy but I finally listened to "Score" as many have talked about that as the peak of DT.    Wow do they sound amazing, and James slays that entire show.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #294 on: August 24, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
You finally listened to Score?? Wow!

It’s amazing to think that’s it’s 15 y/o this week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline tofee35

« Reply #295 on: August 24, 2021, 10:15:43 AM »
So, this is a beast of a song. There is so much going on. At face-value, it's a wank fest. But, so is Glass Prison... so after 20+ listens, I absolutely love this song now. There's something about DT's music that takes, even the biggest fan, some dedication to fully consume. It doesn't always click, but it did click for me on this song.

10 years ago, this song was exactly what I would have expected a Mike Mangini-throned Dream Theater would sound like. There are no remaining Portnoy-isms, his insane ambidexterity and calculus are at their max capacity. The yin and yang between that and Petrucci's melodic passages just make this a great new DT song for me. There's more to talk about, but I feel like that's what grabs me the most. I hope the rest of the album is similar. This is like the next step in their progression and MM has totally absorbed all the space possible. 

-Tof

Online Dream Team

« Reply #296 on: August 24, 2021, 01:27:45 PM »
It's exciting that when the song ends I'm just itching to hear more.... the mix and production are so good that it really makes me super excited for the album.   I really like the Alien and if the rest of the album is as good this will be a killer record.

As an aside, totally off topic, I'm not a huge Live Album guy but I finally listened to "Score" as many have talked about that as the peak of DT.    Wow do they sound amazing, and James slays that entire show.

Why?

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #297 on: August 24, 2021, 02:18:32 PM »

Why?

Why what?

Offline emtee

« Reply #298 on: August 24, 2021, 02:29:23 PM »
The sound quality of this song is just phenomenal. Myung and Mangini sound incredibly clear. Based on this alone, the new album will probably be a top 5 for me. I would LOVE it if this team would have been used on every album from ADToE forward. Can you imagine?

Online Dream Team

« Reply #299 on: August 24, 2021, 07:57:55 PM »

Why?

Why what?

Why have you never heard or watched Score before?? A famous, amazing 20th anniversary show.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #300 on: August 24, 2021, 08:14:46 PM »
Fair question… I just usually pay more attention to the studio albums and not the live albums.  I’ve seen them 12 times live so it just doesn’t get me that excited but I admittedly am loving it .

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #301 on: August 26, 2021, 05:57:01 PM »

Why?

Why what?

Why have you never heard or watched Score before?? A famous, amazing 20th anniversary show.

Yeah, nothing says amazing better than an orchestra that can't tune and a drummer who rushes every song (compromising his bandmates and the orchestra) because he can't play to a click because of his ego, amazing indeed  :biggrin:

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #302 on: August 26, 2021, 06:36:08 PM »
Sounds pretty amazing to me and it’s not even a set that includes many of my favourites.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #303 on: August 27, 2021, 06:01:43 AM »
Yeah, nothing says amazing better than an orchestra that can't tune and a drummer who rushes every song (compromising his bandmates and the orchestra) because he can't play to a click because of his ego, amazing indeed  :biggrin:
You're right about the orchestra, but I don't agree with the criticism of Portnoy.  He never played to a click live.  He grew up in a time of drummers that never played to a click live.  Back when I played drums, I played live to a click once and hated it.  It robs the life out of the performance, giving no room for variance.

Frankly, a lot of songs SHOULD be at a faster tempo live.  That's the difference between live and studio.  Live should feel ALIVE, not just a carbon copy of the original recording.  It's the one fault I have with the Mangini era, and I'm not blaming Mangini for it, because I imagine his preference would also be to play without the click.  He's a professional drummer, he has a good sense of time.  As does Portnoy.

And technically, Portnoy didn't "rush" every song.  It's only rushing if you're playing faster than the other bandmates anticipate playing.  That's not what was happening.  They just played faster live (or rather, were never slaves to the click track), and everyone in the band knew it was going to happen.  And he didn't compromise the orchestra.  Not sure what that even means.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #304 on: August 27, 2021, 06:38:47 AM »
With you, Hef.  That just sounds like an unnecessary shot to me. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #305 on: August 27, 2021, 06:56:17 AM »
I don't think drumming could've saved that rendition of Vacant. It was a good idea on paper, but I did not enjoy that arrangement. The Answer Lies Within on the other hand is fantastic.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #306 on: August 27, 2021, 07:46:00 AM »
I don't think drumming could've saved that rendition of Vacant. It was a good idea on paper, but I did not enjoy that arrangement. The Answer Lies Within on the other hand is fantastic.
The arrangement of TALW is definitely better, but the song itself sucks pretty bad, so it doesn't matter much.

Vacant was kind of an odd choice for that set list, although not the only one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #307 on: August 27, 2021, 08:01:38 AM »
The arrangement of TALW is definitely better, but the song itself sucks pretty bad, so it doesn't matter much.

I have to imagine Vacant was only in there for time purposes.

Not a fan of the arrangement either. Took all the darkness out of it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #308 on: August 27, 2021, 08:18:36 AM »

I have to imagine Vacant was only in there for time purposes.

Not a fan of the arrangement either. Took all the darkness out of it.

I can’t be bothered checking but, from memory, wasn’t Vacant the only TOT song that was not on the Budokan live album?  Makes sense then, the way Mike operated, that this would be the TOT song they picked as they obviously went with something from every album.  It helps as well that it’s the only short song on the album as they were already playing two huge epics.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2021, 09:00:59 AM »
HTF was not on Bukokan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #310 on: August 27, 2021, 09:11:06 AM »
HTF was not on Bukokan.

No.  But it wouldn't have fit either.  As we've been over tons of times through the years, given all the different constraints they were under, there isn't really a way they could have altered the set very much without fundamentally altering the type of set they were trying to deliver. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #311 on: August 27, 2021, 09:12:05 AM »
Hey I was just answering a question! ;D

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #312 on: August 27, 2021, 09:32:36 AM »
Hey I was just answering a question! ;D

You’re right, I always forget about that song.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #313 on: August 27, 2021, 09:44:28 AM »
I wish they didn’t have the time constraints that they did on Score. Stream of Consciousness should have been played with Vacant.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #314 on: August 27, 2021, 10:43:22 AM »
I wish they didn’t have the time constraints that they did on Score. Stream of Consciousness should have been played with Vacant.

Yeah, same here.  I played around with different variations of the set list to see whether that could happen, and couldn't find a way to make space for it.  The most likely way would be if you cut TALW (which I am in favor of), and went with shorter available songs from WDADU, I&W, and FII, and that still doesn't get you enough additional time to fit SOC.  Adding the entire SDOIT really tied their hands on the set list within the structure of what they were trying to do (represent their entire catalog from the Majesty period through the current album AND support their new album).  I get why those chose to play SDOIT.  And I'm glad they did.  It was the perfect opportunity to do something like that, and it was awesome that they did.  But the consequence of them including it is that it destroyed a lot of their options to play anything other than what they did.  And in the grand scheme of things, that's fine.  It's a great set.  It's just that, in hindsight, a lot of us would have preferred some different songs in some of those slots.  In the end, it is what it is.