Author Topic: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 38649 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #245 on: August 15, 2021, 02:47:18 PM »
Quote from: Crackerman
When Portnoy left I didn't feel awful.

I clearly remember waking up on the morning of 2009 and reading a text from a friend saying he had quit and I just thought that was funny. And at the time he was my favourite

member of the band. I almost got his drumming DVD course.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #246 on: August 15, 2021, 02:54:29 PM »
Quote from: Crackerman
When Portnoy left I didn't feel awful.

I clearly remember waking up on the morning of 2009 and reading a text from a friend saying he had quit and I just thought that was funny. And at the time he was my favourite

member of the band. I almost got his drumming DVD course.

Then your friend is a prophet, because he didn’t quit until 2010.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: August 15, 2021, 03:03:06 PM »
I couldnt remember the exact date. I knew it was definitely after 2008 as I was in my new house in 2009 and I moved out 2012. :)

Offline 425

« Reply #248 on: August 15, 2021, 03:21:15 PM »
Usually bands release as first single the most "accessible" song, so if this is the tip of the iceberg... I think it's gonna be a feast  ;)

I do want to caution people against assuming this. Historically this has been the case, but in recent years I think some prog and metal bands have moved away from this. Presumably the rationale for doing this in the past has been to put forward the song most likely to get mainstream attention, but I think there's starting to be a realization somewhere in the world of prog/metal bands and labels that this is vanishingly unlikely to happen and it's instead a better idea to put forward something that's going to excite your core audience and attract people who are on the fringes of your audience.

See, for example, Avantasia releasing The Raven Child, the longest song on the album at 11 minutes, as the lead single for Moonglow. One of the least accessible songs on the album, but a perfect choice to get Avantasia fans excited, bring in Blind Guardian fans due to Hansi Kursch's prominent guest spot, and potentially appeal to prog metal fans.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #249 on: August 15, 2021, 04:14:56 PM »
The problem with Avantasia releasing Raven Child in advance was that the rest of the album couldn’t live up to it  :lol 
It’s not a bad album, but it’s a case where I felt like the marketing for the album ruined my enjoyment of it by giving me the dessert before the entrèe.  None of DTs singles have done that for me, on their own. But having the first three tracks of D/T out as singles prerelease was a bit much. Speaks more to my lack of restraint, so I’m trying not to over-listen to The Alien.
But yes I agree it is smart for bands in the progsphere to market toward their audience first

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #250 on: August 15, 2021, 04:41:13 PM »
It’s funny that most bands release their best songs as singles.  You can’t imagine Bon Jovi for example saying “don’t release Livin On A Prayer, keep the best stuff back for the album”.

With prog bands though it is like the opposite where they treat the single as almost like a teaser for the album but keep the best stuff hidden until the album comes out.  I’m totally ok with it too, I’d be disappointed if all the best stuff on a DT album got released as singles first.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: August 15, 2021, 04:48:43 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: August 15, 2021, 05:05:03 PM »
 :lol The one person who's reaction I could not give a sh¡t about is CoverKillerNation ? Is he still a thing ? One of the most irritating YouTubers ever.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #253 on: August 15, 2021, 05:26:48 PM »
I like DeuceReacts the best. He has Dream Theater Saturdays.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #254 on: August 15, 2021, 05:28:07 PM »
The way I see it, the band are trying new kinds of themes, structures and melodies while still being identifiable as Dream Theater with this track. They've never been the kind of band that'd completely lose that signature in a new release, even if their shifts had previously pushed them outside of their identified genre every once in a blue moon (with Falling Into Infinity, Octavarium and The Astonishing). Sure, maybe the shifts were arguably more drastic before a certain point (that is, if you're only considering variation in style rather than structure, pacing, mood etc. where I think the album shifts are just as prominent as before), but I still don't think the band are on autopilot in that regard, with The Alien very much considered.

I always wonder what people actually want when I see people complaining that this is the same old DT, especially when considering how unusual this is for a single (which has traditionally been one of the more familiar sounding songs of the album like On the Backs of Angels and Untethered Angel). They could do the whole funk-prog thing and get compared to Lines in the Sand, they could do jazz fusiony stuff (which imo the middle JP solo feels like it has elements of) and get compared to Beyond This Life / Take the Time / Surrender to Reason (depending on where they go with it), they could go all orchestral and symphonic and get compared to The Astonishing, they could do another rap section and get compared to Honor Thy Father / This Dying Soul / Prophets of War or the Canadian rap, streamlined alt-metal as in Paralysed or BMUBMD, they could do understated prog rock and get compared to Repentence and Octavarium, they could do full on pop rock and get compared to I Walk Beside You and You Not Me, excursions into extreme metal territory in A Nightmare to Remember, spacey atmospherics in Pale Blue Dot / Octavarium, spaghetti western style in Fall Into the Light's mid-section, folksy stuff in Solitary Shell and Hymn of a Thousand Voices, electronic music elements in Space Dye Vest / Outcry / BMUBMD, avant garde noise weirdness in the NOMAC tracks and the end of Misunderstood, upbeat prog in Surrender to Reason / Barstool Warrior, Deep Purple style hard rock in Viper King, musical theater stuff yet again all over The Astonishing and Scenes... hell, reggae would probably be referenced back to LTE's Ya Mon and Universal Mind.

Sure, there's room to go deeper into some of these but still, I don't think there's really enough of an appreciation sometimes for just how wide the DT stylistic palette can be, with this song included. You got a lot of harmonically off-kilter elements, the aforementioned fusiony middle solo, MM doing that quirky stick rhythm (also worth noting that his performance here is pretty unprecedented overall), that uplifting, double-time solo towards the end, that orchestral, cinematic ending that blends in with elements of that opening riff, the unusual melodic style, a lot of fresh, varied stuff imo, even if not all of it is entirely new in some form. That's just what happens when you get a band that's already done a fair amount of musical exploration. I'm not sure where else they can go without sounding like they're putting novelty over songwriting or doing BtBaM esque weirdness (and even their last few tracks don't seem like they have anything entirely new for them), which has never really been what the band were about.

Very interesting post. Lots to read and think about.  :tup

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #255 on: August 15, 2021, 06:12:53 PM »
[...]
Sure, there's room to go deeper into some of these but still, I don't think there's really enough of an appreciation sometimes for just how wide the DT stylistic palette can be, with this song included. You got a lot of harmonically off-kilter elements, the aforementioned fusiony middle solo, MM doing that quirky stick rhythm (also worth noting that his performance here is pretty unprecedented overall), that uplifting, double-time solo towards the end, that orchestral, cinematic ending that blends in with elements of that opening riff, the unusual melodic style, a lot of fresh, varied stuff imo, even if not all of it is entirely new in some form. That's just what happens when you get a band that's already done a fair amount of musical exploration. I'm not sure where else they can go without sounding like they're putting novelty over songwriting or doing BtBaM esque weirdness (and even their last few tracks don't seem like they have anything entirely new for them), which has never really been what the band were about.

I agree with your overall comment, but I disagree about the BTBAM part. Revolution In Limbo has a 'Bossa Nova' section, and detuned acoustic guitars added to the layers, which are things that BTBAM haven't done in the past. And Fix The Error is a fairly simple Punk-y song with a drum breakdown with 4 drummers playing solos, both new things in their discography.
And judging by some interviews, there's more uncharted territory by the band in Colors II.

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #256 on: August 15, 2021, 08:58:57 PM »
Watching the music video for The Alien and paying attention to it gave me a lot of appreciation for the song. It's way more cohesive and story-driven than I imagined.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #257 on: August 16, 2021, 06:52:29 AM »
(I It (the song (The alien)) came played on the radio twice as I was driving!) I'm ready to put it down .

:zydar: :zydarscouch:

For the record, I did not ejaculate on my radio, nor have I ever though of it, nor plan to do it in the future  :lol

:lol

Where the hell do you live where they play a 9 minute DT song on the radio?
I heard it on the Liquid Metal Sirius station. The Devils Dozen. The Alien was number 10.

Ah I wasn't even thinking about Sirius...I thought it was just normal ass radio. Last time I heart DT on normal radio was about 10 years ago in Hawaii on a college station.

Yes, I have a (free) subscription to Sirius. My go to stations are Liquid Metal and Octane. The Alien played on Liquid Metal. The only rock station from local radio is 104.3, which they only play classic rock with the occasional Metallica song (Fade to Black or Enter Sandman).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #258 on: August 16, 2021, 07:58:34 AM »
There is already a drum cover in Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1gSDo45Duk

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #259 on: August 16, 2021, 08:03:25 AM »
After listening to this song about a dozen times over the weekend, I've determined I really like the last 6 minutes or so.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #260 on: August 16, 2021, 08:37:22 AM »
I agree with your overall comment, but I disagree about the BTBAM part. Revolution In Limbo has a 'Bossa Nova' section, and detuned acoustic guitars added to the layers, which are things that BTBAM haven't done in the past. And Fix The Error is a fairly simple Punk-y song with a drum breakdown with 4 drummers playing solos, both new things in their discography.
And judging by some interviews, there's more uncharted territory by the band in Colors II.

That's fair, I did admittedly forget that those songs offered those things. Makes sense as an analogy too, because while those two songs are both identifiable as the band quite clearly, there are new elements integrated in there, which I would also claim about The Alien (albiet maybe more in the margins which, to be fair, should be expected from a band with considerably more material). Changed the original post to reflect that a bit better.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 09:48:30 AM by Enigmachine »

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #261 on: August 16, 2021, 09:00:38 AM »
After listening to this song about a dozen times over the weekend, I've determined I really like the last 6 minutes or so.

If I remember correctly, you were kind of "meh" on the song. Just curious what turned those last six minutes around for you? (Apologies if I am incorrect about your initial reaction to The Alien).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #262 on: August 16, 2021, 09:30:55 AM »

If I remember correctly, you were kind of "meh" on the song. Just curious what turned those last six minutes around for you? (Apologies if I am incorrect about your initial reaction to The Alien).

Correct. It's hard to say. I do like how the song closes, but I still maintain that it's too chaotic at the start. I think upon initial listen, that opening bit tainted the rest of the track. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #263 on: August 16, 2021, 09:37:29 AM »
The way I see it, the band are trying new kinds of themes, structures and melodies while still being identifiable as Dream Theater with this track. They've never been the kind of band that'd completely lose that signature in a new release, even if their shifts had previously pushed them outside of their identified genre every once in a blue moon (with Falling Into Infinity, Octavarium and The Astonishing). Sure, maybe the shifts were arguably more drastic before a certain point (that is, if you're only considering variation in style rather than structure, pacing, mood etc. where I think the album shifts are just as prominent as before), but I still don't think the band are on autopilot in that regard, with The Alien very much considered.

I always wonder what people actually want when I see people complaining that this is the same old DT, especially when considering how unusual this is for a single (which has traditionally been one of the more familiar sounding songs of the album like On the Backs of Angels and Untethered Angel). They could do the whole funk-prog thing and get compared to Lines in the Sand, they could do jazz fusiony stuff (which imo the middle JP solo feels like it has elements of) and get compared to Beyond This Life / Take the Time / Surrender to Reason (depending on where they go with it), they could go all orchestral and symphonic and get compared to The Astonishing, they could do another rap section and get compared to Honor Thy Father / This Dying Soul / Prophets of War or the Canadian rap, streamlined alt-metal as in Paralysed or BMUBMD, they could do understated prog rock and get compared to Repentence and Octavarium, they could do full on pop rock and get compared to I Walk Beside You and You Not Me, excursions into extreme metal territory in A Nightmare to Remember, spacey atmospherics in Pale Blue Dot / Octavarium, spaghetti western style in Fall Into the Light's mid-section, folksy stuff in Solitary Shell and Hymn of a Thousand Voices, electronic music elements in Space Dye Vest / Outcry / BMUBMD, avant garde noise weirdness in the NOMAC tracks and the end of Misunderstood, upbeat prog in Surrender to Reason / Barstool Warrior, Deep Purple style hard rock in Viper King, musical theater stuff yet again all over The Astonishing and Scenes... hell, reggae would probably be referenced back to LTE's Ya Mon and Universal Mind.

Good stuff here.

After my first listen, I thought it was pretty weird.

After multiple listens, I think it's really interesting.  The mix is fantastic, the drums and bass are extremely clear.

For me, the MVP of the track is Mangini by far.  Simply MONSTROUS.

JM's parts are really cool, also.

I love that they chose to start the song with a drum fill, because MM definitely drives this song like a madman.

I mean, there's a lot going on.  I love that they had the balls to put out a 9+minute song as the lead single.  "This is who we are."

Because, I mean, it IS who they are.

Two thumbs up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #264 on: August 16, 2021, 09:50:52 AM »
So I finally got to listen to this a second time. First time was with headphones and my feelings were very conflicting: the good - it was all over the map. the bad - it was all over the map. the good - a lot of interesting vocal phrasing. the bad - odd vocal phrasing

A few days later I had the opportunity to sit down in front of my sound system while watching the video on my tv.

It clicked.

In some ways I feel like this is an LTE song with vocals. I was always less enthusiastic about the prog parts of DT and this seems like that side on overdrive but I dig it because it is a step beyond what they've done before.

I really dig the lyrics and the video drives home the story behind it. LaBrie's vocals don't stand out but that goes along with my thought about this song working well as an instrumental song and I consider the vocals a bonus. A few cool things LaBrie did though, so even the vocals are a steph beyond what we're used to from him.

Speaking of the video, does anybody know if these are clips taken from somewhere or is it all original?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #265 on: August 16, 2021, 09:54:03 AM »
So I finally got to listen to this a second time. First time was with headphones and my feelings were very conflicting: the good - it was all over the map. the bad - it was all over the map. the good - a lot of interesting vocal phrasing. the bad - odd vocal phrasing

A few days later I had the opportunity to sit down in front of my sound system while watching the video on my tv.

It clicked.

In some ways I feel like this is an LTE song with vocals. I was always less enthusiastic about the prog parts of DT and this seems like that side on overdrive but I dig it because it is a step beyond what they've done before.

I really dig the lyrics and the video drives home the story behind it. LaBrie's vocals don't stand out but that goes along with my thought about this song working well as an instrumental song and I consider the vocals a bonus. A few cool things LaBrie did though, so even the vocals are a steph beyond what we're used to from him.

Speaking of the video, does anybody know if these are clips taken from somewhere or is it all original?

I'm curious about this as well.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: August 16, 2021, 10:28:28 AM »

It’s funny that most bands release their best songs as singles.  You can’t imagine Bon Jovi for example saying “don’t release Livin On A Prayer, keep the best stuff back for the album”.

Bon Jovi almost didn't include "Livin' on a Prayer" on the album at all! 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #267 on: August 16, 2021, 10:34:47 AM »

You guys might get a kick out of this article.

https://www.ranker.com/list/hit-songs-almost-left-off-album/kelly-patrick

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #268 on: August 16, 2021, 11:47:41 AM »

[/quote]

I think I have seen those Aliens in a coheed and cambria video

Offline Kram

« Reply #269 on: August 16, 2021, 12:44:39 PM »
So after two listens I think The Alien is pretty kick ass!  The only thing I'm not totally digging is JR lead sounds/patches - just don't care for them.  Everything else sounds great and yes, Mangini is the MVP.  I wonder if he was motivated to kick it up a notch after MP recorded TV and LTE3?

Offline TM172003

« Reply #270 on: August 16, 2021, 01:08:47 PM »
My only complaint about the song is Jordan’s solo, it’s a bit samey. I love the rest of the song.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #271 on: August 16, 2021, 01:16:10 PM »
I’m really enjoying The Alien… kind of reminds me of the post SFAM portnoy era but with much better production.   The vocal melodies aren’t amazing but the outro melody is great, the energy is high and the petrucci lead is beautiful. 

This song has me very optimistic for the album.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #272 on: August 16, 2021, 06:13:14 PM »
I approve.  There aren't a ton of hooks, which I usually appreciate, but the twisting, winding, complex rhythms and the guitar melodies/solos are spectacular, and this song is about the turbulence and unpredictability of traveling through space, so it's more a mood/feel song than a sing-along.  The vocal melodies leave something to be desired--DT overuses the diminished scale to the point that it's boring now.

Jordan's solos are more of the same, but then again, Jordan has always been my third-favorite DT keyboardist.  My favorite Rudess solos are all the simpler, more melodic ones, especially when he's on the Moog.  Not every solo has to set the record for number of half-diminished arpeggios in as short of a timeframe as possible, mixed with a section of atonal wailing on the i-Pad continuum.  There are a few short clips where he's using some new sounds though, which are cool.

The highlight of the song is that this is absolutely the best Mangini has sounded with the band to date, both tonally in the mix, and musically.  They are really flowing together here, and there's a ton of cool fills that drive the melody instead of just accompanying it, especially in the slow sections.  The percussion part is also fantastic.  And the opening fill is frickin' awesome.  There's no way Portnoy could have wrote the drum track for this song.  I don't hate Portnoy, of course, but Mangini is and always has been technically superior.  This is the first song where I think he's smoothed the edges of his technical prowess to really musically gel with the band.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #273 on: August 16, 2021, 08:46:32 PM »
So I am playing the song right now then I heard my 8-year old humming the JP outro solo while he's drawing Pokemon. This daddy's heart is filled with joy.  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #274 on: August 16, 2021, 11:19:19 PM »
So I am playing the song right now then I heard my 8-year old humming the JP outro solo while he's drawing Pokemon. This daddy's heart is filled with joy.  :lol

Parenting goals :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #275 on: August 16, 2021, 11:39:33 PM »

Man, now that is awesome!  :hefdaddy :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #276 on: August 17, 2021, 12:39:45 AM »

Nice.  :biggrin:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2021, 01:59:58 AM »

You guys might get a kick out of this article.

https://www.ranker.com/list/hit-songs-almost-left-off-album/kelly-patrick

Shit Billie Jean! I don't think it's an overstatement to say that would have been a history changing moment  :omg:
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline genome

« Reply #278 on: August 17, 2021, 02:22:59 AM »
Song clicked with me last night when I sat down and learned it on guitar. Man is it good fun to play!

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #279 on: August 17, 2021, 06:22:24 AM »

Parenting goals :tup

Indeed!  :metal