Author Topic: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 38629 times)

Offline rab7

Re: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #350 on: August 30, 2021, 07:25:28 AM »
I find with a lot of Mangini era DT songs - that non 'epic' tracks feel like they sort of wind down as if they were writing an epic.

I don't know how to explain it. Like a 7 minute song will have the big finale and de-crescendo.

Right, off the top of my head I can think of The Bigger Picture and Barstool Warrior with grandiose inspirational finales.

At Wit's End has that beautiful outro that fades out.

The Alien also definitely sounds like it could be the end of an album

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #351 on: August 31, 2021, 02:02:07 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh1EBraQY7s

Mike, WTF are you talking about? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #352 on: August 31, 2021, 02:17:43 PM »
Haha! Wat?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #353 on: August 31, 2021, 10:20:08 PM »

The video is aimed at potential enrollees in his drum lessons. He is basically saying that while there are crazy time sigs and polys in The Alien, the key to learning it is not to count but to think of shapes.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 02:02:38 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #354 on: September 01, 2021, 01:45:47 AM »

Mangini spitting facts, as always. I could listen to him talk about drumming for hours nonstop; contagious charisma and very knowledgeable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: September 01, 2021, 04:53:39 AM »

The video is aimed at potential enrollees in his drum lessons. He is basically saying that while there are crazy time sigs and polys in The Alien, the key to learning it is not to count but to think of shapes.

Is there an emoticon for 'gonna keep my mouth shut' ...

;D

How about learning the song by...wait for it...Learning the song?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #356 on: September 01, 2021, 05:00:51 AM »
Do you teach music?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: September 01, 2021, 05:12:32 AM »
Well I know for one thing - on my guitar degree - the tutors were all against learning shapes.

I know guitar is not drums but the idea is the same. Learning shapes on guitar is a sure fire way to get stuck in a rut.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #358 on: September 01, 2021, 06:02:44 AM »
He's talking about rhythmic shapes that expand your musical vocabulary beyond the usual, not shapes on a fretboard that limit your harmonic vocabulary. So the idea is not the same at all.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #359 on: September 01, 2021, 06:18:03 AM »
Actually, if you're patient enough to watch a video that's not that long, Mike explains exactly what's on his mind when playing, and it's awesome! It's not complicated at all to understand and it's very humble of him, the guy is a genius but still shows that all this knowledge is accessable.

The video is not only about The Alien as I see it, it is about his approach to music. If you don't understand Mangini's way of thinking/playing, open up your mind and watch the video.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #360 on: September 01, 2021, 06:29:49 AM »
Well I know for one thing - on my guitar degree - the tutors were all against learning shapes.

I know guitar is not drums but the idea is the same. Learning shapes on guitar is a sure fire way to get stuck in a rut.

Well, I do teach music and this is me playing and leading a group of amateur university students (we pride ourselves in that, we don't do auditions, we don't require any musical pedigree) during our groups's 30th anniversary concert:

https://youtu.be/XV5WLxbB3Gg

And one way we learned to teach these percussive pieces especially when handling instruments that have like eight gongs is for them to subdivide the instrument into spatial areas then visualize the shape their arms would move when playing the piece. That is what Mangini is saying, imagine shapes when playing the music so you can see where your arms are going. It is like teaching a dance.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: September 01, 2021, 07:05:27 AM »
Actually, if you're patient enough to watch a video that's not that long, Mike explains exactly what's on his mind when playing, and it's awesome! It's not complicated at all to understand and it's very humble of him, the guy is a genius but still shows that all this knowledge is accessable.

The video is not only about The Alien as I see it, it is about his approach to music. If you don't understand Mangini's way of thinking/playing, open up your mind and watch the video.

He made a post over-over-explaining a 1 second drum fill. :lol i'm good.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #362 on: September 01, 2021, 07:12:53 AM »
You know what's funny? A guitarist making fun of how a drummer is trying to explain to other drummers.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #363 on: September 01, 2021, 07:30:01 AM »
As someone who's taught for over twenty years, I've learned to admire and appreciate the different approaches of others.

Rather than focusing on the 'right' way to teach something, I prefer to ackolwedge that I am not, in fact, an expert, but rather, a student myself. For that reason, I am always eager to 'talk shop' with others in the hopes of garnering a new approach or insight. For this reason, I feel I am a far better teacher today than I was 20 years ago.

I enjoy Mangini's videos—I am not a drummer, but his passion and methodology transcends his instrument.

Not sure why anyone would want to tear apart an accomplished teacher's approach—I'd rather 'listen' and learn something myself...but that's just me ;D

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #364 on: September 01, 2021, 07:31:59 AM »
I really can't connect with MM's drumming voice or his general approach for the most part. That said, I definitely respect it and if what he does/teaches connects with people, then more power to him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #365 on: September 01, 2021, 07:40:06 AM »

He made a post over-over-explaining a 1 second drum fill. :lol i'm good.

Thank you for all the joy you bring to these boards  ::)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #366 on: September 01, 2021, 07:49:03 AM »
I really can't connect with MM's drumming voice or his general approach for the most part. That said, I definitely respect it and if what he does/teaches connects with people, then more power to him.

That's exactly how I feel.  100%.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #367 on: September 01, 2021, 07:50:39 AM »

WELL NOW I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH IT DON’T I!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #368 on: September 01, 2021, 08:05:16 AM »

WELL NOW I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH IT DON’T I!?!

We need an Opposite Day; one day a year where we can agree without consequences!  :) :) :)

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #369 on: September 01, 2021, 08:37:54 AM »

The problem of learning by shapes (CAGED, pentatonic boxes, etc.) on guitar is not understanding what's going on when you play; as well the mechanic nature of learning them. Once you learn intervals (and how to play them on the fretboard), the shapes become kinda meaningles.

But Mangini is talking about thinking of rhythms as shapes, as a visual idea in your mind. It doesn't mean not knowing what's going on, unlike using shapes on guitar.
It helped me, I use that concept for subdivisions (and I learned how to count them), but using "shapes" is like pressing buttons to switch between subdivisions. It's fun.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #370 on: September 01, 2021, 10:49:00 AM »
Apparently it's become a pattern. Mangini decides to post something on the internet with the intention of teaching music in some way and, not long after, you may see a shower of criticism on the DTF.  :facepalm:

I really am unable to understand why it bothers people so much.

I don't know if people don't like teaching, teachers, the teacher specifically, or everything together.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #371 on: September 01, 2021, 10:52:34 AM »

No no, I get it. And I love MM. I was just being tongue in cheek, because after about a minute of what he was saying I was totally lost. :lol
I did watch the entire thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: September 01, 2021, 10:54:13 AM »

Well when people disagree with every post you make - no matter what - that tends to happen. Seriously I could post " Octavarium is Dream Theater's 8th studio album " and

i'd get a reply " Um...no. "

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #373 on: September 01, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »

Well when people disagree with every post you make - no matter what - that tends to happen. Seriously I could post " Octavarium is Dream Theater's 8th studio album " and

Um....no

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #374 on: September 01, 2021, 11:29:18 AM »

Um....no

Um...yes
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: September 01, 2021, 01:03:37 PM »
I definitely prefer THE ALIEN to On The Backs Of Angels. Not sure about The Enemy Inside. I prefer The Gift Of Music and i'd put it equal with Untethered Angel.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #376 on: September 01, 2021, 01:12:14 PM »

It’s the way you present your opinions mostly. Ban or no ban, you come across like a douchebag most of the time. Just being honest.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: September 01, 2021, 01:18:40 PM »
So do a lot of people on here. But some of them are mods so we're not allowed to say anything.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #378 on: September 01, 2021, 01:33:18 PM »
So do a lot of people on here. But some of them are mods so we're not allowed to say anything.

That may be true, but that’s not what I was saying. I didn’t say you were the only douche here. You seemed perturbed that people disagree with you all of the time, or give you shit a lot. I was just explaining that it may not always be your negative or contrarian opinions ( it could be). A lot may be that you come across so snobby, arrogant and well…douchey all of the time.
Can't we find the minds

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #379 on: September 01, 2021, 01:41:35 PM »
Just wanted to poke my head in to acknowledge that I have read the above posts, and what I am subjectively getting from then as that Trav is genuinely trying to be constructive and not engage in personal attacks.  But it's a fine line, so please be aware of that.  Carry on.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #380 on: September 01, 2021, 01:47:40 PM »
Just wanted to poke my head in to acknowledge that I have read the above posts, and what I am subjectively getting from then as that Trav is genuinely trying to be constructive and not engage in personal attacks.  But it's a fine line, so please be aware of that.  Carry on.

That was my intention, but I knew I was pushing it. I’m done.
Can't we find the minds

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #381 on: September 01, 2021, 05:51:32 PM »

If I bothers you, perhaps an approach may be asking who/what is the common denominator…

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: September 01, 2021, 11:37:21 PM »

Opinions are fine. It's how they're expressed that's often the issue, at least in my experience. Take your Weezer remark in the Metallica(!) thread, for example. Just say you don't like their recent output rather than choosing (slightly more) antagonistic language. I know it's a forum and debate is fun but if you don't want such diametrically opposed responses, well... As a Weezer fan who's quite fond of their last few albums, I went to reply to your Weezer remark a few minutes ago and then found myself wondering what the point would be.

I'll own up. I was one of the people who reported your MP comment (I feel there's a growing anti-MP sentiment from the usual suspects here at the moment, as people passionately engage with the new release, enjoying Mangini's performance). I thought it was beyond the pale, never mind what you called another person on the board, whether a moderator or not.

But I do think you make some interesting points on occasion. It'd be a shame to lose much of your input.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #383 on: September 02, 2021, 12:44:18 AM »

No no, I get it. And I love MM. I was just being tongue in cheek, because after about a minute of what he was saying I was totally lost. :lol
I did watch the entire thing.

Sorry, I can not get what is tounge in cheek anymore because of some of the posts in this thread.  :lol

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #384 on: September 02, 2021, 02:24:24 AM »

Opinions are fine. It's how they're expressed that's often the issue, at least in my experience. Take your Weezer remark in the Metallica(!) thread, for example. Just say you don't like their recent output rather than choosing (slightly more) antagonistic language. I know it's a forum and debate is fun but if you don't want such diametrically opposed responses, well... As a Weezer fan who's quite fond of their last few albums, I went to reply to your Weezer remark a few minutes ago and then found myself wondering what the point would be.

I'll own up. I was one of the people who reported your MP comment (I feel there's a growing anti-MP sentiment from the usual suspects here at the moment, as people passionately engage with the new release, enjoying Mangini's performance). I thought it was beyond the pale, never mind what you called another person on the board, whether a moderator or not.

But I do think you make some interesting points on occasion. It'd be a shame to lose much of your input.