Author Topic: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 38459 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !
« on: August 12, 2021, 06:53:45 AM »
Post all your spoilery thoughts on the new single THE ALIEN in here!! So people who don't want to know how it sounds can still read the other thread !!

I'm going to listen on Spotify at midnight tonight ( tomorrow? ) and will post what I think after a few listens !  :coolio

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 07:02:03 AM »
 :omg: Checking the 90 second preview on iTunes and it sounds HUGE! The guitar tone is so chunky. Everyone sounds really good.

Production wise it sounds like Distance Over Time and a heavier Astonishing ( production wise..! )

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 07:09:59 AM »
Well, holy shit mangini. Sick playing.
Not too fond of the vocal melodies. There's a great amount of music to be digested, but liking it overall. Also loved the unison.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 07:21:26 AM »
I can't wait to hear it at midnight. The new trivium song is out today too and that's really great.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 09:07:13 AM »
Just dropped for me in Australia. This song just leaves a huge smile on my face. Lots of music to digest,    production wise sounds fantastic and MM is just slaying it. Bit of something in there for everyone. I have no doubt there will be mixed reactions, but personally, I’m very impressed overall. Now to just not go too nuts listening so I can keep it somewhat fresh…

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »
Yeah ...Mangini stood out for me too.  I like the vibe/production but the song structure is a bit of a mish mash to me - parts better than the sum of them -  but I think I might be on my lonesome there.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 10:34:19 AM »
I would love to read the lyrics as I can not hear clearly everything Labrie was saying. Are we sure this is not a sequel to Pale Blue Dot?  :rollin

From the Youtube credits, it seems Labrie is the lyricist?

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 10:54:34 AM »
On my 5th or 6th listen now. Didn't like it on the first one. More accurately, it left me cold and didn't know what to feel or think. This one definitely needs time to sit well - and a pair of headphones!

But now it's coming together.

Liking it much more than UA and TEI (for the sake of the MM-era first single comparisons), I guess more than GOM and OTBOA, as well.

Stronger points: instrumentation and production. The sound is top-notch AND I am listening to a YT version so that is bound to get better on the official release. Myung is VERY audible and punchy, which I am loving. Though he has been more prominent in recent albums than he's been in years prior. Mangini is spot on. His best performance in DT? Quite possibly. Also, love the in-your-face, straight to the point beginning.

Negatives: verses are not very memorable, melody-wise. LaBrie sounds good, he stayed within his comfort zone, but I think that's a wise move considering...well. Chorus ok I guess but nothing to write home about.

In short, the song shines throughout its instrumental parts (intro, from 4:40 until the last verse/chorus and in the outro).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »
So on my 4th listen, I decided to listen to it back to back with PBD. PERFECT!  :lol

The vocal melodies are not memorable but I think it would make more sense when we hear the whole album. It looks like this will be a concept album?

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 12:21:33 PM »
So on my 4th listen, I decided to listen to it back to back with PBD. PERFECT!  :lol

The vocal melodies are not memorable but I think it would make more sense when we hear the whole album. It looks like this will be a concept album?

Did the same - there seems to definitly be a connection between Alien and PBD, just listen to the lyrics in the first verse, which corresponds somewhat with each other (survival for mankind, running out of time vs save us from ourselves etc)

Offline JLa

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 12:54:02 PM »
I've never used a VPN service before, but apparently I'll do anything to get my Dream Theater fix!  :lol

The idea was to listen to it once and then stay away, but the first listen didn't do much for me. So I just had to give it a few more plays, with headphones. That helped a lot.

+ the production! It's been a while since I enjoyed the sound in a Dream Theater album this much
+ Mangini! Guy's on fire!
+ the melodic sections, particularly the outro  :heart
+ just the overall feeling, on the third playthrough I really started enjoying this. It's a lot to digest.

- if I should point out a weakness I'll say the vocal melodies. DT usually have great choruses, but this one was a bit "meh". The track is way more about the instrumentals than the vocals. Fingers crossed James gets to shine on other tracks. Not that he did a bad job here, far from it, but he wasn't really given much to work with.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 01:05:56 PM »
Just listened it. I think it's "meh". Nothing new on the table, same melodies, same arragement.

+ Mangini sounds more melodic not robotic. His tones are strong this time.
+ Production is surely better.
+ Sweet outro and guitar solo.

- Song feels so disjointed between sections. Intro- middle - outro and even passages sound like so different and patched into one. I can't feel the connection.
- Rudess' playing, melodies so out of place for me.
- It's like they wrote this song to be instrumental but then they force themselves write the lyrics. So, vocals don't fit. Vocals melodies are out of place. Not that James is bad. It's just so forced.

I don't think I listen it again anytime soon and I hope this song is album's worst.

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 03:19:52 PM »
Just had a listen. Solid song, if a bit predictable.

James is the weak link here, and he is still capable of great vocal performances. He isn't given much room to breathe here, and the vocal melodies feel a bit forced. Like he was forced to come up with lyrics and melodies, on top of a 10 minute jam section. That can't be easy. The effects on his voice didn't help.

On the other hand, the band sounds great! Great main riff, and a tasteful solo from Petrucci. I don't know why, but the whole song reminded me of "In the Presence of Enemies". Part 1 to be precise. Sounds very "Systematic Chaos" to me..

Will have to listen to this more to form a verdict, but it's solid and doesn't deter my excitement for the album.

Offline emtee

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 04:01:53 PM »
As usual, mixed reactions from the DT fans. My biggest concern going into this album is JLB. It sounds universal that the production is great. That is A#1 priority for me. Tomorrow I get the chance to hear for myself.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 04:09:57 PM »
This song is pretty generic, predictable DT if you ask me, but I usually always have a more negative opinion on first listen on most things.  I'm sure it'll grow.

Just find it lacks a bit of energy on a whole, but the middle solo section was cool.  Got a Obfuscation (BTBAM) vibe from it.  The outro was very nice too.  JLB has become a shadow of his former self, a shame.

Each DT album has it's own vibe, atmosphere and personality.  DT have fallen into the trap that a lot of bands do where albums just start to have the same sounds and characteristics, if that makes sense.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2021, 04:18:43 PM »
Geez, you guys are rough. I’m not sure what you expect from them.

I heard it a couple times, but it was a shitty YouTube version. I’ll wait until tomorrow to listen to the good quality one.

After a couple of listens, I thought it was cool. Interesting lyrics, from what I could understand. Cool riff, great melody that gets reprised in a different way. Amazing drumming. Different types of keyboard sounds than normal. Defiantly one of the most technically complex songs they’ve done. I like it. 
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2021, 04:27:42 PM »
Somebody copied and posted the song lyrics on the DT Facebook group. Written by James, as far as we know:

"The Alien"

Look beyond the Earth, heading set for the stars
Interplanetary, some are near, some are far
Terraform a new world, survival for mankind
Options but a few, we are running out of time

Should you climb aboard
A voyage, the first of its kind
Ready to explore
All that you've known left behind

Our Holy Grail
Now redefined
Our purpose, a thread
Weaving through time
Now with the means to expand
Life beyond here, digital man

Alien, changed forever
New found world in the stars

Understand the meaning
Certain we'll extend the scale of consciousness
Woman, child and man
Multi planet species out amongst the stars
Not stuck in and around who and what we are

Time to climb aboard
Countdown to takeoff on time
Systems are online (5, 4, 3, 2)
Farewell to all humankind (1)

Our Holy Grail
Clearly defined
Our purpose, a thread
Weaving through time
Life beyond here
Digital man

Alien, changed forever
New found world, here we are

Our Holy Grail
Clearly defined
Our purpose a thread
Weaving through time

Our Holy Grail
Read between the lines
One purpose, one thread
Weaving throughout time

I am the alien
Out here in the stars
We'll search till we find
No matter how far
A far better world
For all human race
And beyond

Looks like it was written from an Astronaut's perspective, so yeah, it does feel like a thematic sequel to PBD.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2021, 04:32:46 PM »
Some of the rhythmic stuff is really cool, and I liked the percussion part (some The Mars Volta feelings tbh). As expected, Mangini is amazing, of course. Beyond that, I didn't like anything else.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2021, 04:39:58 PM »
This song is pretty generic, predictable DT if you ask me, but I usually always have a more negative opinion on first listen on most things.  I'm sure it'll grow.

Just find it lacks a bit of energy on a whole, but the middle solo section was cool.  Got a Obfuscation (BTBAM) vibe from it.  The outro was very nice too.  JLB has become a shadow of his former self, a shame.

Each DT album has it's own vibe, atmosphere and personality.  DT have fallen into the trap that a lot of bands do where albums just start to have the same sounds and characteristics, if that makes sense.

This is one of the downfalls of having an over the top vocalist… sooner or later he’s going to age.  My biggest concern is always James now because he can’t sing like he could in the 90’s and understandably so. 

JP can buy a new guitar, James can’t buy a new vocal chord.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2021, 04:41:24 PM »
Very average and generic song. After a few listens is really not doing it for me. James is the weakest link but the whole thing just sounds like a rehash of other songs/ideas, there is nothing in this that is fresh and exciting.

Hoping for better songs on the album.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2021, 05:10:55 PM »
Still haven't heard it but I will the moment I see it available.

Offline TM172003

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2021, 05:14:55 PM »
I thought it was quite good, but I see where people are coming from about it feeling a little disjointed, and James really is buried. I had no idea what he was saying at points.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2021, 05:21:05 PM »
Only one listen in but, just as an instant reaction, it didn’t do anything for me at all.  Very disjointed, no melodic hook to me at all in the vocals.  There are some nice Petrucci moments here and there and I’m sure it’s a technical masterclass but left me cold.  Lots of notes but none of them memorable.  Maybe this is hyperbole as I may be forgetting something but I can’t remember ever enjoying a DT song less than this on my first listen.

That could all change in time but first impression is that there’s no danger of me overplaying this before the album release.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2021, 05:35:19 PM »
The lyrics.

#dreamtheater

"The Alien"

Look beyond the Earth, heading set for the stars
Interplanetary, some are near, some are far
Terraform a new world, survival for mankind
Options but a few, we are running out of time

Should you climb aboard
A voyage, the first of its kind
Ready to explore
All that you've known left behind

Our Holy Grail
Now redefined
Our purpose, a thread
Weaving through time
Life beyond here, digital man

Alien, changed forever
New found world in the stars

Understand the meaning
Certain we'll extend the scale of consciousness
Woman, child and man
Multi planet species out amongst the stars
Not stuck in and around who and what we are

Time to climb aboard
Countdown to takeoff on time
Systems are online (5, 4, 3, 2)
Farewell to all humankind (1)

Our Holy Grail
Clearly defined
Our purpose, a thread
Weaving through time
Life beyond here
Digital man

Alien, changed forever
New found world, here we are

Our Holy Grail
Clearly defined
Our purpose a thread
Weaving through time

Our Holy Grail
Read between the lines
One purpose, one thread
Weaving throughout time

I am the alien
Out here in the stars
No matter how far
A far better world
For all human race
And beyond

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2021, 06:04:39 PM »
Ok Gang i'm home from work. I watched all my new YouTube subscriptions first ( Ler LaLonde interview for Gibson ! ) and now i'm purchasing the song from iTunes and am about to listen...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2021, 06:12:59 PM »
Nice punchy production. I'm listening on my nice SONY over-the-ear headphones and my volume was a bit too loud when it kicked off  :xbones hehe

That spidery riff at about 1:11 is very Octavarium to me. The album not the song.

I can't pin down which song/album it most reminds me of production wise. A bit Black Clouds with less reverb ? A thicker Astonishing ?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2021, 06:13:02 PM »
It has improved with repeat listens.  I’m still not there with it yet but I’m enjoying some of it now, still more of the instrumental stuff than the actual singing parts but it’s progress!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2021, 06:14:12 PM »
I think it will feel a bit better once we get an official video.

...It moves along quickly though. I feel like it's just started and it's already on 5 minutes in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2021, 06:19:16 PM »
First impressions : I like it and will probably like it more with repeated listens. It reminds me of Dream Theater crossed with Distance Over Time and a pinch of The Astonishing.

Offline JRuless

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2021, 07:18:29 PM »
Daring DT. No hooks in first listen. Classic Petrucci solo. In for a new classic. Like it! Try to digest the content, too much opinions on first sight..calm down and listen. DT is not your next expected neighbour...if this is the first taste 😋
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 07:43:46 PM by JRuless »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2021, 07:19:54 PM »

I am the alien
Out here in the stars
No matter how far
A far better world
For all human race
And beyond

The song from this point forward is gold. The vocal melody took a nice surprise that reminds me of the Grand Finale of SDOIT. Then Mangini played double time under JP's epic outro to express the joy of going out to space. Then the ending takes unexpected but enjoyable turns. Love it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 07:36:19 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2021, 07:33:51 PM »
I think a music video of the guys grilling meat in a spaceship would get lots of views

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 07:38:28 PM »

I am the alien
Out here in the stars
No matter how far
A far better world
For all human race
And beyond

The song from this point forward is gold. The vocal melody took a nice surprise that reminds me of the Grand Finale of SDOIT. Then Mangini played double time under JP's epic outro to express the joy of going out to space. Then the ending takes unexpected but enjoyable turns. Love it.

I agree. I am mormon and we have a song called “If You could hie to kolob”
It has a similar sentiment to “The Alien” and it made me smile

https://youtu.be/fc4aptFGpRg
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 07:45:11 PM by Bertie_Wooster »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2021, 07:49:24 PM »
My real disappointment so far in this song is Jordan. This has been going on for quite a few albums now, but he does not end his solos in a way that transitions nicely to the next section.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2021, 08:17:54 PM »
Hey Bertie, did you not notice the guy like 2 posts above you already posted the lyrics? 

So I guess no “magic” on this song like JLB promised?0