Author Topic: 2021 NFL Thread v. Super Bowl 56: Rams vs Bengals  (Read 99741 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. NFL officiating at an all-time low
« Reply #1015 on: November 01, 2021, 08:25:09 AM »
That sucks about Derrick Henry!
Every year there's an injury that really bums me out. Not because I care about the player or the team, but because it's a giant loss for good football. A great player having a season for the ages and suddenly he's done. This one definitely sucks.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1016 on: November 01, 2021, 08:52:56 AM »
Thanks to fellow Central Michigan alumnus Cooper Rush, I haven't been this excited about a Cowboy victory since, uh ...Gary Hogeboom was their quarterback.

Fire Up, Chips!

This was the week for the backup QB that's for sure. Cooper Rush to Amari Cooper. Last year it Andy Dalton to Dalton Schultz.

Looks like Carson Wentz and Sam Darnold are what they are.........

What's with Carson Wentz and those bad interceptions? I'm talking about those little flips when he gets in trouble and basically hands the ball to the defense closing in. That's two in two weeks (or two in three weeks, but still two too many).

I dunno but it's time to cut and run. I also need to add Jared Goff to that list.

I haven't checked but I think the only QB standing from that draft is the one and only - Dak Prescott!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1018 on: November 01, 2021, 11:26:57 AM »
Von Miller to the Rams?  Holy shit.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/01/broncos-trading-von-miller-to-rams/

Just popped back here to post this.  Wow...just wow....  Two second or third round picks for a guy who's six years removed from being Super Bowl MVP.  Yeesh....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1019 on: November 01, 2021, 11:28:17 AM »
Brady chokes in the clutch.

:P :P

Yeah, and if Carson Wentz threw the dumbest INT this week, Brady's was the 2nd dumbest on that final drive.  Wouldn't matter much to me if I'd picked the Saints to win.  :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1020 on: November 01, 2021, 12:40:09 PM »
Von Miller to the Rams?  Holy shit.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/01/broncos-trading-von-miller-to-rams/

Just popped back here to post this.  Wow...just wow....  Two second or third round picks for a guy who's six years removed from being Super Bowl MVP.  Yeesh....

He's 32 years old and his best years are behind him. Rams are going all in.........

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1021 on: November 01, 2021, 12:41:17 PM »
Good for the Rams.

Panthers end their 4-game losing streak, so that's good, I guess.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: November 01, 2021, 01:46:54 PM »

He's 32 years old and his best years are behind him.
He might have something to say about that... :lol  He's now is in a scenario where he's probably NOT the guy Olines choose to double.  Who will they double?  Aaron Donald?  Leonard Floyd?  Von Miller?  LOVE the aggressive move by my Rams!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1023 on: November 01, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »
The Broncos will still be paying most of Von Miller's salary, so it is a sweet deal for the Rams.  They don't need him to be the Von Miller of 2015.  They just need him to be healthy and ready to make plays in the playoffs when teams are much more scared of Aaron Donald.  It is a bit nauseating to see him go a team owned by the devil that is Stan Kroenke, but such if life in the NFL.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: November 01, 2021, 03:57:31 PM »
They should have got more if they had to pay the salary.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1025 on: November 01, 2021, 05:57:25 PM »
The Rams are all in. That roster is absolutely loaded.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1026 on: November 01, 2021, 07:09:00 PM »
They should have got more if they had to pay the salary.

A franchise that knows what they are doing would have, but the Broncos have had their heads up their asses for years now. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1027 on: November 01, 2021, 07:31:53 PM »

What's with Carson Wentz and those bad interceptions?  I'm talking about those little flips when he gets in trouble and basically hands the ball to the defense closing in. That's two in two weeks (or two in three weeks, but still two too many).

Wentz has to be kicking himself for those terrible INTs.  That game was there for the taking, and had they won it, they'd be 4-4 and only a game behind a Titans team that just lost their best player for the season.  Instead, they are essentially four games behind them (three in the standings and the Titans have the tiebreaker now due to winning the season series 2-0), which makes winning the division now a pretty tall order. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1028 on: November 02, 2021, 06:29:19 AM »
Ha!   I didn't get to watch the entire game last night, but I put it on as background; however, I picked the wrong channel and got to see the "Peyton and Eli" version.  I will probably not watch the real version of MNF again.  That was SO entertaining!

For those that don't know, the game plays on the screen with no announcers, and Peyton and Eli Manning are on the left in little windows, and there's a guest in there with them.   Last night it was Michael Strahan first, and later Michael Irvin.   They comment on the game in real time and MAN was that a blast.   First, both Peyton and Eli are as knowledgeable AF about the game, but have a way of presenting it in a way that makes sense to those of us that don't have a PhD in football.   And they ask great questions of their guests.  I'm sometimes indifferent on Michael Irvin, but MAN does he have a grasp on the game, plus he's funny, and he's willing to laugh at himself (they were playing clips of his time in Miami).   

Really brought some insight to an otherwise lackluster game (the five minutes I saw was basically two average teams trying like hell to give the other side the victory!).    I loved at the end when they were panning the crowd and there was ONE GUY in an Eli jersey amongst a sea of orange and Peyton says "hey, Eli, there's your fan!" as if there was only one in existance.   :)    Also, Michael Irvin looks like he could play tomorrow if a team needed him.  He's still built like a brick shithouse at 55. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1029 on: November 02, 2021, 06:32:46 AM »
I only saw parts of the game, but it's clear that the Chiefs are simply not very good this year.  Mahomes doesn't even look like the same QB.  That INT he threw was atrocious, and he threw another that was dropped (the one late I will not count against him because all indications are that he knew that the Giants had jumped offsides and a flag had been thrown, so he knew he had a free play).  Plus, it's the eye test.  He just doesn't look like the same QB.  He used to just walk out there and move with swagger.  He now looks like a guy unsure of himself.  A big part of that could be how bad his o-line is and knowing he has to run for his life on every other play, but the fantasy some have that the Chiefs will get it together and become the powerhouse team again any day now is just that, a fantasy.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1030 on: November 02, 2021, 06:42:07 AM »
Ha!   I didn't get to watch the entire game last night, but I put it on as background; however, I picked the wrong channel and got to see the "Peyton and Eli" version.  I will probably not watch the real version of MNF again.  That was SO entertaining!

For those that don't know, the game plays on the screen with no announcers, and Peyton and Eli Manning are on the left in little windows, and there's a guest in there with them.   Last night it was Michael Strahan first, and later Michael Irvin.   They comment on the game in real time and MAN was that a blast.   First, both Peyton and Eli are as knowledgeable AF about the game, but have a way of presenting it in a way that makes sense to those of us that don't have a PhD in football.   And they ask great questions of their guests.  I'm sometimes indifferent on Michael Irvin, but MAN does he have a grasp on the game, plus he's funny, and he's willing to laugh at himself (they were playing clips of his time in Miami).   

Really brought some insight to an otherwise lackluster game (the five minutes I saw was basically two average teams trying like hell to give the other side the victory!).    I loved at the end when they were panning the crowd and there was ONE GUY in an Eli jersey amongst a sea of orange and Peyton says "hey, Eli, there's your fan!" as if there was only one in existance.   :)    Also, Michael Irvin looks like he could play tomorrow if a team needed him.  He's still built like a brick shithouse at 55.
Yep.  My wife and I love the Peyton commentary.  It's not every week, but when they have it, it's great.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: November 02, 2021, 06:54:52 AM »
I only saw parts of the game, but it's clear that the Chiefs are simply not very good this year.  Mahomes doesn't even look like the same QB.  That INT he threw was atrocious, and he threw another that was dropped (the one late I will not count against him because all indications are that he knew that the Giants had jumped offsides and a flag had been thrown, so he knew he had a free play).  Plus, it's the eye test.  He just doesn't look like the same QB.  He used to just walk out there and move with swagger.  He now looks like a guy unsure of himself.  A big part of that could be how bad his o-line is and knowing he has to run for his life on every other play, but the fantasy some have that the Chiefs will get it together and become the powerhouse team again any day now is just that, a fantasy.

Scott Van Pelt said it best:  "After eight games, this is who they are, at least this season."   

Some of it you can fix right away:  the penalties and the failure to execute.  The rest, though, will take time.  They got ahead of the league for about 30 games or so, but the league ALWAYS catches up. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1032 on: November 02, 2021, 07:39:01 AM »

For those that care to dig into the data, the Chiefs this year are still moving the ball and converting first downs at an elite level. As soon as the turnover luck evens out they'll be fine, as long as the defense is average.

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1452655259831128067/photo/1
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 07:45:39 AM by Dream Team »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: November 02, 2021, 07:52:55 AM »

For those that care to dig into the data, the Chiefs this year are still moving the ball and converting first downs at an elite level. As soon as the turnover luck evens out they'll be fine, as long as the defense is average.

Two points:

One, "luck" has nothing to do with it.

Two, if I had the choice of being on that list and being 4-4, or being 7-1 and taking three (or four) downs to convert, I'll take the latter every day of the week.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1034 on: November 02, 2021, 08:08:06 AM »

Two points:

Two, if I had the choice of being on that list and being 4-4, or being 7-1 and taking three (or four) downs to convert, I'll take the latter every day of the week.

Well if you want to look at data, just look at the points the Chiefs have allowed. They are the worst in the division. They went to 2 Super Bowls in a row and that really takes a toll plus the fact they are in a division with LV and LA.

We're 8 games in and they are what they are.......

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: November 02, 2021, 09:09:05 AM »

Two points:

Well if you want to look at data, just look at the points the Chiefs have allowed. They are the worst in the division. They went to 2 Super Bowls in a row and that really takes a toll plus the fact they are in a division with LV and LA.

We're 8 games in and they are what they are.......

I think the last sentence is really where it's at.   There isn't one dimension here that magically gets fixed and BAM! they're back to dominance.   There are too many facets to this where things break down.  Sure, the defense is a screen door, but (barely) 20 points against the Gints is not where you want your club to be at the half-way point of the season if you're looking to play into 2022. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1036 on: November 02, 2021, 02:32:03 PM »
Good change on the thread title Kev.  I've never seen NFL officiating as bad as it is now.  Nothing but a bunch of rent-a-cops out there.  :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1037 on: November 02, 2021, 06:05:07 PM »
Good change on the thread title Kev.  I've never seen NFL officiating as bad as it is now.  Nothing but a bunch of rent-a-cops out there.  :\

It's not good, but I am not sure it is even their fault.  The NFL is making them call such stupid shit that keeping it all together in their heads can't be easy.  I will say it again: the NFL should thank their lucky stars for gambling and fantasy football.  Take away both and the NFL would collapse, as the product itself is a fraction as good as it used to be.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: November 02, 2021, 06:22:47 PM »
I'm with Kev.  Every year the committee makes more rules upon more rules.  It's impossible to ref with so many additions and changes.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1039 on: November 03, 2021, 07:21:37 AM »
I seem to recall that that a few years back the NFL went through a high turnover with the retirement of long tenured officials which has had an effect on the officiating. Does anyone else recall this?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1040 on: November 03, 2021, 08:57:19 AM »
Rodgers out with Covid this week.

No Rodgers/Mahomes match up.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1041 on: November 03, 2021, 09:06:31 AM »
Watch Jordan Love light it up, which would be Rodgers’ worst nightmare.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1042 on: November 03, 2021, 09:12:31 AM »
Watch Jordan Love light it up, which would be Rodgers’ worst nightmare.

It's now or never for Jordan Love. GB needs to find out what they have in him.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1043 on: November 03, 2021, 09:14:42 AM »
Every year there's an injury that really bums me out. Not because I care about the player or the team, but because it's a giant loss for good football. A great player having a season for the ages and suddenly he's done. This one definitely sucks.

I meant to respond to this earlier but I 100% agree with you and I would hope any fan of football would feel the same way.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1044 on: November 03, 2021, 09:22:00 AM »
In August Rodgers was asked if he was vaccinated, he replied with, “ya, I’ve been immunized”.

So either he had Covid prior, or he believes in herbal remedies, both scenarios are possible with this guy.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1045 on: November 03, 2021, 09:38:07 AM »
In August Rodgers was asked if he was vaccinated, he replied with, “ya, I’ve been immunized”.

So either he had Covid prior, or he believes in herbal remedies, both scenarios are possible with this guy.

This could open a giant can of worms because if he isn’t vaccinated he needs to have been following protocols for unvaccinated players, which doesn’t seem to be the case according to some reports.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: November 03, 2021, 09:40:45 AM »

This could open a giant can of worms because if he isn’t vaccinated he needs to have been following protocols for unvaccinated players, which doesn’t seem to be the case according to some reports.

What makes yu think he's not vaccinated T-ski?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1047 on: November 03, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »

Ian Rapoport via Twitter….

“ #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers is unvaccinated, per me and @MikeGarafolo. That’s why he’s out for Sunday vs. the #Chiefs.”

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1048 on: November 03, 2021, 09:52:45 AM »

The vaccine is not 100% fool-proof. He most likely got a breakthrough case. His symptoms should be minor.

EDIT: ......or he lied.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: November 03, 2021, 10:01:21 AM »

Ian Rapoport via Twitter….

“ #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers is unvaccinated, per me and @MikeGarafolo. That’s why he’s out for Sunday vs. the #Chiefs.”

If he's unvaccinated, there are protocols like he has to wear a mask for meetings with the media ect.  I don't think I've seen him with a mask on all year. So if he lied that's a huge bombshell.