Author Topic: 2021 NFL Thread v. Super Bowl 56: Rams vs Bengals  (Read 99394 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. NFL officiating continues to disintegrate
« Reply #1190 on: November 14, 2021, 07:01:20 PM »
Well, today's game was fun.

Did Cam start?  He only threw 4 passes so I'm confused.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1191 on: November 14, 2021, 07:02:09 PM »

I'm happy for him. He was a good soldier here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1192 on: November 14, 2021, 07:17:31 PM »
Mike White stinking up the joint was probably for the best. Now we can get back to rooting for Zach Wilson, no need for another QB controversy in New York.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1193 on: November 14, 2021, 08:16:06 PM »

No. He only played 5 or 6 plays. He only had one practice so far, but they worked in a small package of mostly short yardage plays. He ran for a touchdown and threw one, as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. NFL officiating at an all-time low
« Reply #1194 on: November 14, 2021, 09:44:25 PM »
I only saw parts of the game, but it's clear that the Chiefs are simply not very good this year.  Mahomes doesn't even look like the same QB.  That INT he threw was atrocious, and he threw another that was dropped (the one late I will not count against him because all indications are that he knew that the Giants had jumped offsides and a flag had been thrown, so he knew he had a free play).  Plus, it's the eye test.  He just doesn't look like the same QB.  He used to just walk out there and move with swagger.  He now looks like a guy unsure of himself.  A big part of that could be how bad his o-line is and knowing he has to run for his life on every other play, but the fantasy some have that the Chiefs will get it together and become the powerhouse team again any day now is just that, a fantasy.

For those that care to dig into the data, the Chiefs this year are still moving the ball and converting first downs at an elite level. As soon as the turnover luck evens out they'll be fine, as long as the defense is average.

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1452655259831128067/photo/1

Hmmm . . .

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1195 on: November 15, 2021, 06:16:17 AM »
Oh, BTW, I don't usually come in here and ballwash, but Mac Jones was fucking nails today.

He seems to make the right read all the time and has great touch where only a receiver can catch the pass.

No rookie looks like this in my memory.
That kid's ball placement is really something else. We've seen him have a bad game, and he was pretty inaccurate. When he has his head screwed on right he's got amazing accuracy. As for touch, that's come a long ways, too. In his first few games he was putting the ball right out where a receiver would want it, but he was drilling them in there. Now he seems to be dropping it in there when need be, and firing bullets when that's necessary. That TD throw into double coverage was a thing of beauty.

That said, it remains to be seen how well he develops. Next year will be the telling point. And with that in mind, I hope he doesn't get overconfident in his ability to rifle a ball into tight spaces. That's something that can kill young quarterbacks. Somehow I doubt Bill is going to let him get a big head, but you never know.

Well, as much as I like the Patriots and like what I'm seeing, fair is fair.  The league caught up with Kansas City (and no, one game against a reeling Raiders doesn't make them all good again, Rod Woodson), the league caught up with Tampa Bay, the league WILL catch up to Mac Jones.  The trick will be whether he's got what it takes to get the jump again. With Bill and Josh, I'm thinking he might. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1196 on: November 15, 2021, 09:17:21 AM »
Oh, BTW, I don't usually come in here and ballwash, but Mac Jones was fucking nails today.

He seems to make the right read all the time and has great touch where only a receiver can catch the pass.

No rookie looks like this in my memory.

I dunno:

Dak Prescott
Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert

Those are a few that  come to mind. But no doubt that the Pats are in good shape with Mac Jones at the helm.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: November 15, 2021, 10:37:15 AM »
No you're right. My memory sucks. Lol. I just hope we see improvement every year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1198 on: November 15, 2021, 11:29:26 AM »
Raiders and Chargers sliding down the standings.  At least I still have the Rams and the Cards lost.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1199 on: November 15, 2021, 12:27:18 PM »
I love the beautiful symmetry of the 4 QBs to have 3 games of 400+ yds and at least five TDs all having surnames that begin with M . . .

Montana
Marino
Manning,P
Mahomes

Talk about a murderer's row of Qbs . . . Mt Rushmore.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: November 15, 2021, 12:37:02 PM »
I love the story on the Superbowl where Montana saw his team was tight with 3:30 left in the game and in the huddle and asked, "Isn't that John Candy?"

https://www.nfl.com/100/originals/100-greatest/games-19

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: November 15, 2021, 01:03:09 PM »
I love the beautiful symmetry of the 4 QBs to have 3 games of 400+ yds and at least five TDs all having surnames that begin with M . . .

Montana
Marino
Manning,P
Mahomes

What league are you watching?  That doesn't have the two greatest QBs to ever play the game on there.   

Mt. Rushmore for the NFL:
Unitas
Manning
Brady
Montana.

Mahomes is a DECADE from that list, at least.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1202 on: November 15, 2021, 01:12:09 PM »
Agreed.  He definitely had an unbelievably good couple of seasons.  But we need to see sustained excellence before he joins the Hall of Justice.

Meanwhile, almost everyone in Panther country is ga-ga over Cam's return, and he has certainly given the area an injection of energy, but the real hallmark of this team is the defense.  They are good, fast, and young. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1203 on: November 15, 2021, 01:26:54 PM »
Agreed.  He definitely had an unbelievably good couple of seasons.  But we need to see sustained excellence before he joins the Hall of Justice.

Meanwhile, almost everyone in Panther country is ga-ga over Cam's return, and he has certainly given the area an injection of energy, but the real hallmark of this team is the defense.  They are good, fast, and young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3qC9NKDt0c

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1204 on: November 15, 2021, 01:34:35 PM »

Goddammit

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: November 15, 2021, 01:56:08 PM »
That reminds me of this dude dressed in a power blue lucha libre wrestling suit and mask singing San Diego....Super Chargers!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: November 15, 2021, 02:27:25 PM »

He's still not ever winning a Super Bowl, though.  Not unless he resigns with New England.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: November 15, 2021, 02:29:24 PM »

Goddammit

Wow.  I watched all of that.   

(Kind of like the growl, though!)

EDIT:  Rabbit hole!  Here I come!!!  https://youtu.be/52a3cXS-_RA

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1208 on: November 15, 2021, 02:32:37 PM »

He's still not ever winning a Super Bowl, though.  Not unless he resigns with New England.
OK, Nostradamus.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1209 on: November 15, 2021, 02:36:54 PM »
There are already players in the Hall for far less than what Mahomes has already accomplished. If his career were to end this year, and I would still think he belongs in the HoF eventually.

After all, there's no objective measure for who should and should not be in the hall, as far as I know. It's called the Hall of Fame: "Hall of Fame", not "Hall of Stats", even if stats  play a big role, the most important criteria are far more subjective and even based on what Mahomes has accomplished so far it would be hard to me to imagine him not being strongly considered even if the rest of his career is not so great.

BTW, people are acting like the wheels have fallen off this year because of the INTs. I agree that it's not as good as it has been in years past, but it's not like the wheels have completely fallen off. We're still only halfway through the season and he's on currently pace to throw nearly 50 TD's again  :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1210 on: November 15, 2021, 03:09:20 PM »

Montana
Marino
Manning,P
Mahomes

What league are you watching?  That doesn't have the two greatest QBs to ever play the game on there.   

Unitas
Manning
Brady
Montana.

Except Brady and Unitas don’t have the specific accomplishment mentioned in this post. Marino and Mahomes do. The post wasn’t saying “these are the four greatest quarterbacks of all time”. It was saying “these are the four quarterbacks who have done this specific thing”.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1211 on: November 15, 2021, 03:38:14 PM »
There are already players in the Hall for far less than what Mahomes has already accomplished. If his career were to end this year, and I would still think he belongs in the HoF eventually.

After all, there's no objective measure for who should and should not be in the hall, as far as I know. It's called the Hall of Fame: "Hall of Fame", not "Hall of Stats", even if stats  play a big role, the most important criteria are far more subjective and even based on what Mahomes has accomplished so far it would be hard to me to imagine him not being strongly considered even if the rest of his career is not so great.

BTW, people are acting like the wheels have fallen off this year because of the INTs. I agree that it's not as good as it has been in years past, but it's not like the wheels have completely fallen off. We're still only halfway through the season and he's on currently pace to throw nearly 50 TD's again  :lol

I agree that the wheels have not fallen off, but I think some have it in their heads that he walked into the league and has been the best QB since he became a starter when in reality that is not the case.  He has struggled too much this season at times to eventually be the MVP or All-Pro 1st team, so this will be the 3rd season in a row he was neither the MVP nor the best QB that season.  You can't be the unquestioned best QB in football if you aren't getting those kinds of accomplishments, like when Favre was the MVP three years in a row in the later 90s or when  Peyton Manning had a 3-year stretch where he won the MVP twice and was All-Pro 1st team all three times.  IF Mahomes is truly the best, he should be showing the best on a much more regular basis than he has been.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: November 15, 2021, 03:42:43 PM »

OK, Nostradamus.

:tup :tup ;D ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: November 15, 2021, 03:49:25 PM »

Montana
Marino
Manning,P
Mahomes

Unitas
Manning
Brady
Montana.

Except Brady and Unitas don’t have the specific accomplishment mentioned in this post. Marino and Mahomes do. The post wasn’t saying “these are the four greatest quarterbacks of all time”. It was saying “these are the four quarterbacks who have done this specific thing”.

I took "Mt. Rushmore" to be something different.  We seem to use that term a lot here - meaning on the forum, not in the NFL thread - to mean "the four greatest".    Your "Mt Rushmore of Drumming" (Bonham, Collins, Peart, Portnoy).   I got the initial part about the specific stat, but then it seemed to veer into "these are the greatest of all time" with the last part.   If not, my mistake (though my point stands, because historically, Dream Team has severely, almost chronically devalued Brady's accomplishments while simultaneously jumping the gun on annointing Mahomes to all time greatness.)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1214 on: November 15, 2021, 04:11:36 PM »

I agree that the wheels have not fallen off, but I think some have it in their heads that he walked into the league and has been the best QB since he became a starter when in reality that is not the case.  He has struggled too much this season at times to eventually be the MVP or All-Pro 1st team, so this will be the 3rd season in a row he was neither the MVP nor the best QB that season.  You can't be the unquestioned best QB in football if you aren't getting those kinds of accomplishments, like when Favre was the MVP three years in a row in the later 90s or when  Peyton Manning had a 3-year stretch where he won the MVP twice and was All-Pro 1st team all three times.  IF Mahomes is truly the best, he should be showing the best on a much more regular basis than he has been.

My comment was about whether he will be considered hall worthy when he retires, not whether he is the "best" right now. Very different conversations imo.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1215 on: November 15, 2021, 08:14:07 PM »
Who the fuck are these guys in the Niner's uniforms? Fuck they look good tonight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1216 on: November 15, 2021, 08:21:13 PM »
Who the fuck are these guys in the Niner's uniforms? Fuck they look good tonight.

They put a lot of guys in motion during the snap. One of these snaps is gonna hit a guy in the ass..
Honestly, it's kind of annoying. What is this, college?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1217 on: November 15, 2021, 08:39:46 PM »
Better than the train wreck we've been watching here the last few weeks

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1218 on: November 15, 2021, 09:49:55 PM »
Wow, I had completely written this game off.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1219 on: November 16, 2021, 06:28:17 AM »
I can't say I was totally surprised by that result, as Kyle Shanahan has kinda owned McVay more often than not, and the 49ers were kind of in a "we need to win to have any chance to save the season" mode, but that is the second week the Rams fell behind early and then looked like scared rabbits the rest of the game.  It's like they had no fight, no comeback, no counterpunch.  Is McVay's team really this soft? Because it sure looks like it. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1220 on: November 16, 2021, 06:54:34 AM »
Wow, I had completely written this game off.

I wasn't even watching...did a workout and was cleaning my room to music. It wasn't until I finally checked my score notifications around the second half that I saw what was going on.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: November 16, 2021, 07:54:18 AM »
The Peyton/Eli broadcast was GOLD for this game.   Peyton in particular really put this into perspective; the Niners came out and played their game and the Rams never adjusted.  They were still playing that sort of deep(er) zone D even into the fourth quarter, even though the Niners running game was dominating the tone of the game.   

I'm not the hugest Shanahan fan - good coach who still gets out-coached enough at times to not be a GREAT coach - but his going for it on 4th down (the last touchdown) was genius.  Not because of the outcome, but because it showed a deep understanding of the way the game was going.  Peyton (and Eli) had both said "take the safe route and punt" after the time out was called, but Kyle did not take his foot off the gas and it's not like the play was something out of left field; it was something they had been doing all game.

EDIT:  And even though it was waved off (PI flag) that butt-hole interception was something special.   ;) :) :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 08:03:10 AM by Stadler »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1222 on: November 16, 2021, 03:48:02 PM »
All four of my teams embarrassed this week  ::)
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1223 on: November 16, 2021, 03:56:48 PM »
Sorry, man.  I know that pain.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1224 on: November 16, 2021, 03:59:26 PM »
Not me!  :metal