Author Topic: 2021 NFL Thread v. Super Bowl 56: Rams vs Bengals  (Read 99722 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. NFL officiating continues to disintegrate
« Reply #1155 on: November 11, 2021, 02:03:48 PM »
Cam Newton signed with the Panthers.

I am not sure how I feel about this.  Obviously, I hope he plays well.

Well I think at this point you know what you have in Sam Darnold, and Cam gave Carolina their best years, so why not give him another shot to bring the Panthers success.

Maybe the ticker on the NFL Network got it wrong but it looks like 1yr 10M dollars? Surly not 10 million dollars.  :omg:
What I saw was 4.5 guaranteed.

Yep - and he can make up to 10M. Just WOW! OK - give him another chance but for THAT kind of money? Sorry but I say.  :tdwn

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1157 on: November 11, 2021, 03:00:48 PM »
Either you're going to allow the refs to make discretionary calls about sportsmanship or you're not. You simply can't legislate every single action a player might come up with. On the one hand I don't want a league where Deion Sander taunting the entire Falcons sideline while returning a pick 6 is a penalty, that was fantastic, but I want a league where the players can behave as ridiculously as they want even less.

Exactly.  There has to be a huge amount of discretion with something like this.  The problem is that (1) the "point of emphasis" has gone WAY over the edge, and (2) football is the only major sport where this sort of call can materially impact the game.  Gain 30 yards to get into field goal range with 5 seconds left on the clock...and...get called for taunting and get pushed back 15 yards, out of field goal range.  You were all set to kick a 50-yard game-winning field goal but now have to choose between trying a 65 yard field goal or running a "Hail Mary" play.
A ticky-tack holding call, which is also subjective (there's holding on every play, remember) can have the same effect. Or PI, which is called differently every single game. How many touchdowns get called back because of some barely noticeable holding penalty? I always point out the 78 Super Bowl where Benny Barnes got flagged for getting tripped by Lynn Swann, which shifted the momentum back to the Steelers. It sucks when it happens like that, but sometimes it just does. Refereeing is simply part of the game, and my hunch is that it all evens out in the end.

Also, between Cassius Marsh and Brian Burns, I'm really sick of the bitching and moaning. At worst the thing with Mac Jones was a missed holding call, and this idiot is acting like it's the return of Bill Romanowski. While I'd personally find it pretty amusing if a quarterback named McCorkle turned out to be a secretly violent and viscous player, this is just silly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1158 on: November 11, 2021, 03:36:22 PM »
Cassius Marsh also took a beeline right to the ref. There was plenty of space to avoid him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1159 on: November 11, 2021, 03:39:49 PM »
I disagree.  Marsh turned around and ran direct for his own sideline.  The ref then went out of his way to make contact.

But that guy from Carolina needs to shut it.  I have zero problem with anything Mac Jones did on that play.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: November 11, 2021, 04:04:28 PM »
The ref did stick his ass out(one step back) no doubt but Marsh took a like basically at him with a wide open field.  So he put himself in a position to have this happen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1161 on: November 11, 2021, 07:09:44 PM »
Eh, I'd have to watch it again, but I just remember him turning around and running to his sideline and then the ref bumping him.  I don't think Marsh even thought about the official because he did not expect to be flagged, so he was just running past him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: November 11, 2021, 07:18:13 PM »
Watch it again.  He has so much space to get to the sidelines.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1163 on: November 11, 2021, 08:07:59 PM »
This is the first time I've watched the whole clip as it was broadcast (the taunting, not the bumping the ref part).

Marsh fucked up, and based on what the ref saw he was correct to throw the flag. He was wrong, mind you, but from his perspective Marsh was taunting the punter. The ref misinterpreting what he was seeing is unfortunate, but the truth is that Marsh was deliberately directing his antics at the Steelers bench, he certainly wasn't trying to hide it, and he wound up interacting with the punter whether it was his intention or not. Kev's speeding analogy really takes a new light here. He created a situation where his actions were misinterpreted.

Watch where Marsh, the punter, and the ref are in relation to each other. After Marsh is already shouting at the steelers bench, how does the punter interaction look from the ref's vantage point? What really got him was the sidestepping in the path of the punter, I reckon.

Ironically, the reason he took such a direct path at the ref is because he'd been staying in front of the punter, not taunting him.  :lol

edit: Also, I didn't realize that this was the same guy that didn't have any fun playing for Bill and the Patriots. Hope he enjoyed himself Monday night.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1164 on: November 11, 2021, 09:45:54 PM »
Any given Thursday!  Dolphins beat the Ravens.   :corn
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1165 on: November 12, 2021, 01:02:18 AM »
Either you're going to allow the refs to make discretionary calls about sportsmanship or you're not. You simply can't legislate every single action a player might come up with. On the one hand I don't want a league where Deion Sander taunting the entire Falcons sideline while returning a pick 6 is a penalty, that was fantastic, but I want a league where the players can behave as ridiculously as they want even less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXEkZuwRBfQ
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1166 on: November 12, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »
Watch where Marsh, the punter, and the ref are in relation to each other. After Marsh is already shouting at the steelers bench, how does the punter interaction look from the ref's vantage point? What really got him was the sidestepping in the path of the punter, I reckon.

I think the skipping may have played into it too.  Sort of has a "neener, neener" quality to it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1167 on: November 12, 2021, 10:40:42 AM »

I think the skipping may have played into it too.  Sort of has a "neener, neener" quality to it.

It looked to my eyes that the ref had his hand on the flag as if to say 'just give me a reason' and we he got barely bumped that's when he threw it. He could have thrown that flag while Marsh was shouting at the Steelers bench.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: November 12, 2021, 10:50:57 AM »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1169 on: November 12, 2021, 11:57:01 AM »

It looked to my eyes that the ref had his hand on the flag as if to say 'just give me a reason' and we he got barely bumped that's when he threw it. He could have thrown that flag while Marsh was shouting at the Steelers bench.
If you watch a clip of the bumping incident he was clearly fumbling to get the flag. He decided to throw it a couple of seconds before he actually did throw it. In fact, I think he might have been reaching for it at the end of the gif I posted when he raises his hand to his belt (which is exactly where the flag was). That's part of the reason I think the ref thought he was taunting the punter. It was immediately after the skipping thing that he reached for the flag.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1171 on: November 14, 2021, 12:30:55 PM »
That was a damn fine half from New England. After the Browns opening drive they turned dominant, and gained confidence with every possession.

I've been waiting to see Rhamandre Stevenson for a while. He's got an excellent combination of skills. Aside from his size, he's got incredible balance, and he never stops moving his feet. He's always looking for traction to move forward. Give that guy another year and he's going to be unstoppable.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: November 14, 2021, 12:33:44 PM »
Yeah.  He hits the hole fast. No hesitation and keeps those legs pumping.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1173 on: November 14, 2021, 02:40:55 PM »
As much as I despise tie games, nobody deserves to win Pitt/Det. This is the sloppiest OT I've ever seen. I wish there were a game to give them both a loss.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1174 on: November 14, 2021, 05:12:47 PM »
I bet a co-worker a lunch this week that the Patriots would win the AFC East (a friendly wager just for fun). I am feeling pretty good about that after today.  This looks like the 2001 Patriots. 

Meanwhile, the Broncos need to cut Teddy Bridgewater the second this game ends.  I am not kidding.  He quit on the team.  And he is the QB.  To hell with that guy.  And to hell with that organization if they keep him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1175 on: November 14, 2021, 05:27:25 PM »

Meanwhile, the Broncos need to cut Teddy Bridgewater the second this game ends.  I am not kidding.  He quit on the team.  And he is the QB.  To hell with that guy.  And to hell with that organization if they keep him.

What happened?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1176 on: November 14, 2021, 05:32:27 PM »

What happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHwk2KpgIWQ

Around the 20-second mark.  He literally watches the player run past him for the score.  I get that you don't want your QB getting hurt trying to make a tackle on a runback, but you can't do what he did.  There is no way his teammates can have any respect for him after they get in the film room and see that tomorrow.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1177 on: November 14, 2021, 05:34:51 PM »
Oh, that is awful. At least Mac Jones would've twisted his ankle.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1178 on: November 14, 2021, 05:35:23 PM »
Exactly.  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: November 14, 2021, 05:36:24 PM »
Kev, that was pathetic.   I feel your pain.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1180 on: November 14, 2021, 05:36:50 PM »
Oh, BTW, I don't usually come in here and ballwash, but Mac Jones was fucking nails today.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: November 14, 2021, 05:46:53 PM »
Marino had the good sense to run out of bounds after a turnover.

That 20 hours a day of finger rehab certainly paid off for Russell Wilson today.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: November 14, 2021, 05:46:58 PM »
So much for the Lions perfect season.  Kissing your sister ain't so bad after all :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1183 on: November 14, 2021, 05:48:38 PM »
Oh, BTW, I don't usually come in here and ballwash, but Mac Jones was fucking nails today.

He seems to make the right read all the time and has great touch where only a receiver can catch the pass.

No rookie looks like this in my memory. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1184 on: November 14, 2021, 06:02:52 PM »

What happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHwk2KpgIWQ

Around the 20-second mark.  He literally watches the player run past him for the score.  I get that you don't want your QB getting hurt trying to make a tackle on a runback, but you can't do what he did.  There is no way his teammates can have any respect for him after they get in the film room and see that tomorrow.
They were still in the game. When you said he'd given up on them I figured you meant the game was out of hand. That was awful, and it's not going to go over well tomorrow when they're watching the tape.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1185 on: November 14, 2021, 06:06:20 PM »
Predictably, NBC said nothing about it when they showed the highlights of that game, other than for one of the jugheads to say, "the Broncos appeared to not know that wasn't a live play."  :lol :lol :lol

I won't say the obvious, but will just say that if that had been Kirk Cousins, Baker Mayfield, Jimmy G or Ryan Tannehill, they would have crucified him for it.  I will leave it at that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1186 on: November 14, 2021, 06:08:40 PM »

He seems to make the right read all the time and has great touch where only a receiver can catch the pass.

No rookie looks like this in my memory.
That kid's ball placement is really something else. We've seen him have a bad game, and he was pretty inaccurate. When he has his head screwed on right he's got amazing accuracy. As for touch, that's come a long ways, too. In his first few games he was putting the ball right out where a receiver would want it, but he was drilling them in there. Now he seems to be dropping it in there when need be, and firing bullets when that's necessary. That TD throw into double coverage was a thing of beauty.

That said, it remains to be seen how well he develops. Next year will be the telling point. And with that in mind, I hope he doesn't get overconfident in his ability to rifle a ball into tight spaces. That's something that can kill young quarterbacks. Somehow I doubt Bill is going to let him get a big head, but you never know.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1187 on: November 14, 2021, 06:12:08 PM »
Predictably, NBC said nothing about it when they showed the highlights of that game, other than for one of the jugheads to say, "the Broncos appeared to not know that wasn't a live play.:lol :lol :lol

I won't say the obvious, but will just say that if that had been Kirk Cousins, Baker Mayfield, Jimmy G or Ryan Tannehill, they would have crucified him for it.  I will leave it at that.
I actually considered that watching it. It certainly didn't seem like it should have been live. At the same time, TB was running with the coverage, so he seemed to know, or at least assume. More importantly, though, it doesn't matter. Only losers fail to play through the whistle.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: November 14, 2021, 06:42:36 PM »
El Barto, the kid seems mature beyond his years and already does the Belichick speach. I feel he won't get too cocky and improve.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1189 on: November 14, 2021, 06:53:27 PM »
Well, today's game was fun.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.