Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172113 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #910 on: June 17, 2021, 01:56:19 PM »
Just checked out the Battlefield 2042 trailer in the PlayStation Store.  Damn, that is gonna be one sick ass game!  :2metal:

Yeah, that gameplay trailer looks really amazing! Definitely got my interest after being a bit bummed about no BR mode on release.  But I'm also hearing this new Hazard mode might be exciting.  I'm very likely getting this on day 1.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #911 on: June 19, 2021, 05:51:34 PM »
Control and Fallen Order were both fantastic games. My only gripe with Fallen Order was the back tracking you had to do after clearing an area.

I hated the backtracking in that game. I had difficulty using the map too. But my sense of direction is terrible in games...and in real life for that matter.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #912 on: June 20, 2021, 08:40:20 AM »
I generally liked the backtracking. It is basically a metroid-esque title with several worlds instead of areas. God of War (in many ways a very simar game) did it better through, with lesser emphasis on backtracking and some convienient portals.

My only beef with Fallen Order are some real shoddy platform bits that made me appreciate Uncharted platforming much more. Thankfully I think the devs were aware and made some respawns literally before the jumps so you can near-instantly try again.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: June 20, 2021, 08:41:52 AM »
Yea the map left to be desired from a functionality stand point, that said I can't wait to play the sequel.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #914 on: June 20, 2021, 11:26:29 AM »
I generally liked the backtracking. It is basically a metroid-esque title with several worlds instead of areas. God of War (in many ways a very simar game) did it better through, with lesser emphasis on backtracking and some convienient portals.

My only beef with Fallen Order are some real shoddy platform bits that made me appreciate Uncharted platforming much more. Thankfully I think the devs were aware and made some respawns literally before the jumps so you can near-instantly try again.

What you said about God of War made me remember that there were no fast travel points in Jedi Fallen Order. I hope the sequel has them.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #915 on: June 21, 2021, 12:28:04 PM »
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/06/rumor-dead-space-revival-in-development-at-motive

I loved Dead Space 1! No idea if it's real or what it will be like but i'm all over this either way.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online faizoff

« Reply #916 on: June 21, 2021, 06:38:37 PM »
I love Dead Space as well. I never got to finish them because I lost the save games at one point and I had gotten really far into it. They were so much fun to play.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #917 on: July 12, 2021, 09:34:42 AM »
Control Ultimate edition was recently cheap here (15 euros) on xbox and it has a significant next gen (Series X) update, so I decided to check it out.

I am very confused by how I thought this game was going to be (based on online discourse) and how it actually is. I think it is a pretty legit 3D metroid type of game with a decent amount of plot and plenty of dialouge. Near the end now, at around 11 hours of playtime. It has some really great moments and is fun to play. Negatives are that some enemies can be annoying (with lots of exploding stuff) and the map design is bad (reading the signs in the actual gameworld sometimes works better).

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: July 12, 2021, 09:55:13 AM »
The map was really annoying in Control and it was just easier reading the building signs as you said. The only game map that's worse is Fallen Order.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #919 on: July 12, 2021, 01:29:57 PM »
The map was really annoying in Control and it was just easier reading the building signs as you said. The only game map that's worse is Fallen Order.

Agreed!

Control is a good game but I'm not sure I'd want to play it again. Maybe in a few years. Is there any more DLC coming out for it?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #920 on: July 13, 2021, 04:43:59 AM »
I've read that, but really don't recall having any problems with the Fallen Order map. It's 3d and you can look around in it, for me it was easy to recognise what was what based on the three dimensional spaces. Yes, there are parts where from the map you can't judge if it is a passthrough or not, but after exploring a level, it wasn't hard for me to know a route. I unlocked everything in that game and only used the ingame resources for that. This required using the map a lot to find missed items. 

Meanwhile Control has grey shaded 2d layers pasted on top of each other with zero interactivity. You can't change levels and you can't even look at the map of another section. I don't think there was a single instance where the map showed me where I actually was or where I could go from there. I do agree the game itself is designed better to find your way based on the signs (which due to the map is the only real way to go), but that doesn't change the map.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #921 on: July 13, 2021, 05:03:50 AM »
I've read that, but really don't recall having any problems with the Fallen Order map. It's 3d and you can look around in it, for me it was easy to recognise what was what based on the three dimensional spaces. Yes, there are parts where from the map you can't judge if it is a passthrough or not, but after exploring a level, it wasn't hard for me to know a route. I unlocked everything in that game and only used the ingame resources for that. This required using the map a lot to find missed items. 

Meanwhile Control has grey shaded 2d layers pasted on top of each other with zero interactivity. You can't change levels and you can't even look at the map of another section. I don't think there was a single instance where the map showed me where I actually was or where I could go from there. I do agree the game itself is designed better to find your way based on the signs (which due to the map is the only real way to go), but that doesn't change the map.

Some how I misread the last sentence of the post that said Fallen Order had a worse map. I think Control had the worse map.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #922 on: July 14, 2021, 08:46:32 AM »
Finished the main game of control. Good to great overall, depending on the moment.

In the end encounters I found some enemy combinations to be a bit annoying. Some enemies almost one shot you.  I feel the core gameplay can be a bit at odds with the encounter design, where the gameplay is not quick and smooth enough. Unlike, say, Doom Eternal. The base game ending was a bit anticlimactic (no bossfight and real confrontation), but I have heard the foundation DLC advances the story.

But this game has some truly great moments. I went on to do some sidequests as well and some were way more elaborate than I thought. I really liked the Pit mold section, for example. I am thinking of revisiting Alan Wake (which I never finished) prior to starting AWE (and the foundation afterwards).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: July 14, 2021, 08:56:05 AM »
I don't know if I've ever seen a game so broken from hackers than COD Warzone is right now.  I've seen a bunch of videos of where top streamers kill a hacker and the hacker than awards the guy with full unlocks of all guns, attachments, and camos and level 1000.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrjhWZYZUqU Funny enough though, Activision apparently fixed this hack over night because it fucks with their money, but they haven't fixed any of the wall hacks, aimbots, and all the other disruptions from hackers.  I love this game so much, but the greed of Activision has lead to the death of the game.  Seems everyone still playing (myself included) are just waiting for Battlefield and/or Halo this fall.  Why don't these companies learn?  This is exactly how PUBG died, when they didn't put any effort into stopping the hackers.  And don't get me started on the cronus zen's all the kids are using these days....

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #924 on: July 14, 2021, 09:03:51 AM »
I don't know if I've ever seen a game so broken from hackers than COD Warzone is right now.  I've seen a bunch of videos of where top streamers kill a hacker and the hacker than awards the guy with full unlocks of all guns, attachments, and camos and level 1000.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrjhWZYZUqU Funny enough though, Activision apparently fixed this hack over night because it fucks with their money, but they haven't fixed any of the wall hacks, aimbots, and all the other disruptions from hackers.  I love this game so much, but the greed of Activision has lead to the death of the game.  Seems everyone still playing (myself included) are just waiting for Battlefield and/or Halo this fall.  Why don't these companies learn?  This is exactly how PUBG died, when they didn't put any effort into stopping the hackers.  And don't get me started on the cronus zen's all the kids are using these days....

I love the CoD franchise, and I really like the on-line part of it, but the aimbots and hacks have ruined it for me entirely, and I'm back on Black Ops II for gosh sakes.

What's a cronus zen? 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: July 14, 2021, 09:05:07 AM »
That's crazy that it's gotten so bad, but I guess with Activision if it's not hurting their bottom line then they probably won't care. I'm really looking forward to playing the new Battlefield.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: July 14, 2021, 10:01:04 AM »

I love the CoD franchise, and I really like the on-line part of it, but the aimbots and hacks have ruined it for me entirely, and I'm back on Black Ops II for gosh sakes.

What's a cronus zen?

It's a piece of hardware you can buy that you connect your controller to its input and the output to your console or PC.  So it affectively allows you to mod your controller so that, in COD for example, you can have no recoil on your guns, quick reloads, make single fire guns be automatic, and gives a powerful aim assist making it essentially a hardware aimbot and it's completely undetectable because it doesn't mod the actual controller.  They've become expensive and harder to get because everyone is buying them. I've got no issue with people using these for their own personal enjoyment (you can do lots of different things in other games for example) but it's cheating when you use it in a competitive game.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #927 on: July 14, 2021, 03:54:43 PM »
DLSS has been added to Red Dead Redemption 2. I think I'll fire it up and see what performance is like now.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #928 on: July 14, 2021, 04:34:14 PM »

I do not play these games at all. Now that doesn't make me want to play at all.

CoD was never a fair advantage anyways because you have people whom play the game projected on their walls where you can see the person far away on a building. Where as on a smaller screen, you can't even see the person as they are one pixel in size.

Basically, they don't care. They only care if the hacks are interfereing with their profit gains. They know people eat these games up like cake and won't ever not play the games. They know youtubers rely on them for content.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #929 on: July 14, 2021, 05:01:11 PM »

What's a cronus zen?

It's a piece of hardware you can buy that you connect your controller to its input and the output to your console or PC.  So it affectively allows you to mod your controller so that, in COD for example, you can have no recoil on your guns, quick reloads, make single fire guns be automatic, and gives a powerful aim assist making it essentially a hardware aimbot and it's completely undetectable because it doesn't mod the actual controller.  They've become expensive and harder to get because everyone is buying them. I've got no issue with people using these for their own personal enjoyment (you can do lots of different things in other games for example) but it's cheating when you use it in a competitive game.

This fucking sucks to be honest.

The chronus thing that works for controllers is at least not (yet) as bad as actual aimbots of wallhacks. But it being external harware makes it undetectible and it still gives a huge advantage.

I feel it has been rapidly gaining ground and for me it takes the fun out of online shooters.

And I sincerely doubt the majority of people are using it for anything else that cheating.

Online faizoff

« Reply #930 on: July 14, 2021, 05:42:55 PM »
DLSS has been added to Red Dead Redemption 2. I think I'll fire it up and see what performance is like now.

What card do you have?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: July 14, 2021, 05:58:45 PM »

What card do you have?

The new update apparently added a train heists?  While that sounds cool, I'm so skeptical of even bothering putting any more time into the online mode.  Rockstar really pisses me off these days.

And I sincerely doubt the majority of people are using it for anything else that cheating.

Agreed, but it's possible. It's almost like a game genie from back in the day.  You can make mods that might be fun in single player games.  Also reduced lag over using a wireless controller.  Just giving examples although I generally agree, it's mostly for cheating.

CoD was never a fair advantage anyways because you have people whom play the game projected on their walls where you can see the person far away on a building. Where as on a smaller screen, you can't even see the person as they are one pixel in size.

I don't think this is relevant these days.  It's about resolution, frame rate, and network lag.  A lot of people play on smaller PC monitors (like myself) that have high resolution and refresh rate.  Playing on a bigger screen like a 50 inch TV is more likely a hinderance. A couple of my gamer friends recently bought ultra wide monitors, they look AMAZING, but I don't know if it's good for competitive FPS games because you have to move your eyes more.  However, it would probably make a game like RDR2 very immersive and more beautiful to look at.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #932 on: July 14, 2021, 07:00:03 PM »

What card do you have?
2070 Super. I can now get a pretty stable 60fps with almost everything cranked up at 3440x1440.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #933 on: July 15, 2021, 12:48:01 AM »

What card do you have?
2070 Super. I can now get a pretty stable 60fps with almost everything cranked up at 3440x1440.
DLSS seems kinda like a gamechanger, I might get a new card only for that. However I think that whenever it's time for a new card i'll upgrade most of my PC at the same time since my gpu is actually the latest hardware upgrade I did.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online faizoff

« Reply #934 on: July 15, 2021, 05:28:42 AM »
I think DLSS works better as a visual enhancer when playing games at 1080p, I play my games at 4k and Ultra settings and I guess don't have much need except when playing a few games.

The GeForce Experience program did make recommendations for Control to turn on DLSS to get optimal settings, and I have to say I can't tell the difference visually when DLSS is on. I guess that means it's doing its job.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: July 15, 2021, 08:00:06 AM »
I think DLSS works better as a visual enhancer when playing games at 1080p, I play my games at 4k and Ultra settings and I guess don't have much need except when playing a few games.

The GeForce Experience program did make recommendations for Control to turn on DLSS to get optimal settings, and I have to say I can't tell the difference visually when DLSS is on. I guess that means it's doing its job.

I thought DLSS was best for 4k?  I see no improvement in COD with DLSS in 2k.  I think I actually get less FPS.  Could be the game, or my own set up.  Not sure, but I don't use it right now.

Online faizoff

« Reply #936 on: July 15, 2021, 08:28:22 AM »
I don't know really, when you select DLSS, it automatically downscales the resolution from 3840x2160 to 2560x1440. and then upscales the lower resolution using their AI tensor cores or whatever to 4k. That way the GPU load is utilized for the lower resolution that needs lesser processing while making it look like it's native 4k.

At least that's how I understood it.

So I guess what you're saying is correct. It is best utilized for 4k.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: July 15, 2021, 08:37:21 AM »
I'm not really an expert on DLSS, maybe Puppies understands more here.  I don't think I've looked into it at all besides testing it in COD.

Online faizoff

« Reply #938 on: July 15, 2021, 09:27:45 AM »
Basically DLSS is supposed to be a smart AI driven resolution upscaler when the GPU can't hit the high ultra-detailed resolution natively.

I don't know why I wrote it's best for 1080p, it really is meant for higher resolutions like you said.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #939 on: July 15, 2021, 09:36:07 AM »
Holy crap. I'm reading this and playing CoD with stock controllers and stock configuration is like tying into a satellite communications network with a tin can and some string.    No wonder I get my ass handed to me on the regular.   :) :) :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: July 15, 2021, 09:41:19 AM »
Holy crap. I'm reading this and playing CoD with stock controllers and stock configuration is like tying into a satellite communications network with a tin can and some string.    No wonder I get my ass handed to me on the regular.   :) :) :)

nah you just a bot  :biggrin:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #941 on: July 15, 2021, 10:38:39 AM »
I'm hopping on that hype train! I can't wait for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESR3cvErqCg

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #942 on: July 15, 2021, 10:41:02 AM »
DLSS is amazing, but personally I feel the most benefits are to be had in the long term or for lower end cards at this point in time. You can render games at quite low resolutions (like 720p) and it can come out sharp and clean and that is where the true magic lies.

Because to be honest, I was playing TLOU Part 2 on my PS4pro, which renders at 1440p and upscales using a more primitive technique called checkerboarding. And purely talking about image quality, I think it looks clean on my 55 inch LG CX. Horizon and GoW look pretty clean as well on the Pro. I have played plenty of native 4k games on my Series X and I feel the difference is minor. That said, I am not sure what the Series X uses (if any specialised tech), but Control does not look sharp at 1440p, so upscaling and other tech definitely matters at this resolution.

Edit: I was even wrong, TLOU does apparently not even use the upscaling. GoW and GoW, however, do.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: July 15, 2021, 12:56:56 PM »
https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

Very cool, I rarely play my switch as it is but I kind of want this. I'm going to see how reviews pan out.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #944 on: July 15, 2021, 01:20:12 PM »
https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

Very cool, I rarely play my switch as it is but I kind of want this. I'm going to see how reviews pan out.

That looks pretty slick. I feel like I'd accidentally press L/R 4+5 all the time though.