Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 167465 times)

orcus116 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #735 on: March 18, 2021, 11:57:20 AM »
Oh hell yes!

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/18/next-gen-vr-on-ps5-the-new-controller/

This is such a huge leap forward compared to the first generation PSVR. I'm sold on getting a PS5 now. I've been on the fence, but I'm in. This exceeded all of my expectations and we haven't even seen the headset yet. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #736 on: March 18, 2021, 01:31:39 PM »
Amazing!  I told you the PS5 would be a monster.  I held out on the PS4 VR for this very reason.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: March 18, 2021, 05:50:27 PM »
What do you mangs think of Star Citizen? I just read it has made 351 million dollars. I know this is a controversial topic. I don't really care one way or the other. I have not and will not put any money towards its development. I have no problem with people donating money to it. It looks like a very promising game but if they never finish it, I will not be disappointed.

I personally think it's a joke at this point and simply a way to collect money. It really became a joke when they released a roadmap for the next roadmap last year.

There is no reason for them to actually finish the game, support keeps pouring in and when they switch that version number to 1.0 they'll have a finality to it that will simmer down the income they are currently generating.

I've played a few weekends and when it works it's gorgeous but there isn't any substance to it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #738 on: March 18, 2021, 06:01:08 PM »
What do you mangs think of Star Citizen? I just read it has made 351 million dollars. I know this is a controversial topic. I don't really care one way or the other. I have not and will not put any money towards its development. I have no problem with people donating money to it. It looks like a very promising game but if they never finish it, I will not be disappointed.

I personally think it's a joke at this point and simply a way to collect money. It really became a joke when they released a roadmap for the next roadmap last year.

There is no reason for them to actually finish the game, support keeps pouring in and when they switch that version number to 1.0 they'll have a finality to it that will simmer down the income they are currently generating.

I've played a few weekends and when it works it's gorgeous but there isn't any substance to it.

Do they offer it for free every now and then? Just curious. I don't intend to play it in its current state. I'm more interested in the single player version they're supposedly going to release.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #739 on: March 19, 2021, 03:46:33 AM »

Do they offer it for free every now and then? Just curious. I don't intend to play it in its current state. I'm more interested in the single player version they're supposedly going to release.
I backed the game back in 2014 with a pretty hefty price although nowhere close to all the shitty games i've bought on steam over the years.

I follow the development pretty close because I find game development to be interesting and also because I like to know what state the game is in.
For anyone wondering, the game is very much alive and "running".

Is it close to being done: So much no

The open world part of the game dosen't have a release date though, it's being buildt upon right now and will continuously be expanded upon over the years.

It's an ambitious game, as simple as that. I think most people that read about the game think it sounds intriguing but a pipedream. I tend to think they already overcome some major technical achivements and enough for me to think it's real so i'll just wait and play other games in the meantime.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41792.msg2578330#msg2578330

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #740 on: March 19, 2021, 03:48:33 AM »

Yes they have freefly weekends.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #741 on: March 19, 2021, 10:11:02 AM »
Oh hell yes!

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/18/next-gen-vr-on-ps5-the-new-controller/

This is such a huge leap forward compared to the first generation PSVR. I'm sold on getting a PS5 now. I've been on the fence, but I'm in. This exceeded all of my expectations and we haven't even seen the headset yet.

Yes, it is very nice to see Sony doubling down on VR. Astrobot and Wipeout VR are amongst the best PS games, ever. And they have released a decent amount of full experiences, such as Iron Man, Golem, Blood and Truth etc. The tech upgrade will also allow for more advanced VR titles to be ported more easily. Hopefully Half Life Alyx will come to PS, the controllers seem to allow it.

I also hope MS will allow for some VR releases of Bethesda on PS though, as regular Bethesda games are no more on PS it seems. They were one of the big publishers doing some VR stuff every now and then. Doom 3 is an upcoming example (I am fine with older games getting VR releases). Xbox has no interest in VR though, so I doubt much will come from Bethesda in the future.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #742 on: March 24, 2021, 05:16:34 AM »
Has anyone else here played OMORI? I just completed it earlier this morning... What an incredible game. I recommend this game to anyone, so long as they don't mind psychological horror stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #743 on: March 25, 2021, 02:56:45 PM »
Just thought I would drop back in to say I’m loving Horizon Zero Dawn. Great premise, great characters. I think I’m approaching the end of the story but will still have plenty of stuff to do afterwards.

Might finish it just in time for the sequel 😁

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #744 on: March 25, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »
Playing Mafia III Definitive Addition.  By far the best in the trilogy.  The first 2 games are more linear from beginning to end.  The 3rd game has story missions, but also optional missions as well.  Plus, the game just has so many more features and many more hours of gameplay.  Love it!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #745 on: March 26, 2021, 11:41:06 AM »
Just thought I would drop back in to say I’m loving Horizon Zero Dawn. Great premise, great characters. I think I’m approaching the end of the story but will still have plenty of stuff to do afterwards.

Might finish it just in time for the sequel 😁

Easily one of my five favorite games from the last generation! Amazing world, captivating story, deep lore, and super fun combat!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #746 on: March 26, 2021, 04:30:33 PM »
Playing Mafia III Definitive Addition.  By far the best in the trilogy.  The first 2 games are more linear from beginning to end.  The 3rd game has story missions, but also optional missions as well.  Plus, the game just has so many more features and many more hours of gameplay.  Love it!

How far into it are you? I liked the combat, characters, and story but the gameplay loop got real old real fast.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #747 on: March 29, 2021, 07:03:28 AM »
Last Friday, a few of my buddies and I were looking for a new game that we could all play that didn't break the bank. We found one called Pummel Party and had a freaking blast. It's 4-8 players (you can use AI if need be), and it's basically a straight ripoff of the Mario Party games from N64, even down to the award ceremonies at the end of each game. The characters aren't Nintendo and the gameplay is brutal and violent. It was great. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:27:20 AM by Chino »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: March 29, 2021, 08:17:27 AM »
That looks like a lot of fun, gotta try and convince my buddies to play.

Evil Genius 2 comes out tomorrow, I'm pumped. I poured hours into the first one.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #749 on: March 29, 2021, 03:15:28 PM »

How far into it are you? I liked the combat, characters, and story but the gameplay loop got real old real fast.

Progress says 21%.  Not sure what you mean by gameplay loop.  You mean the missions are kinda samey throughout the game?  I'll agree with that.  I'm also playing on my PS5 so there are a few glitches that require the game to be restarted.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #750 on: March 29, 2021, 03:48:24 PM »

Progress says 21%.  Not sure what you mean by gameplay loop.  You mean the missions are kinda samey throughout the game?  I'll agree with that.  I'm also playing on my PS5 so there are a few glitches that require the game to be restarted.

I have forgotten the process, but don't you have to disrupt rackets or something before you can take on the main bad guy of the area and take over their territory? Something like that. It just got extremely repetitive for me after a while.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #751 on: March 29, 2021, 04:06:10 PM »
Yes, it is somewhat repetitive in that regard, but it's still fun and there's a bunch of stuff to do.  Lots of collectables and trophies to get.  Looking forward to finally seeing how it ends.  :tup

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #752 on: March 29, 2021, 05:51:16 PM »
Played some Fall Guys with a friend, had a great time. The bigger variety of maps (and small variations in a map) help. And it also feels newer maps are more skill based than solely random fuckery. This is one of those games that I return to for a couple of sessions everytime an update hits.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: March 30, 2021, 06:37:01 AM »
Played some Fall Guys with a friend, had a great time. The bigger variety of maps (and small variations in a map) help. And it also feels newer maps are more skill based than solely random fuckery. This is one of those games that I return to for a couple of sessions everytime an update hits.

Haven't touched it in over 6 months, actually forgot about it.  But if there's more games, that's probably a good reason to fire it back up.  But my GTX 3070 is expected to arrive today.  If it works (see my story in the PC thread for more details) I don't expect Fall Guys to be the game I fire up first  :lol

Also, arriving today, the Dr. Disrespect autobiography.  I'm not the biggest Doc fan out there, but I feel his story might be interesting.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: March 31, 2021, 06:40:06 AM »
After a bunch of false starts over the year I finished Ori and The Blind Forest and the game is simply fantastic. It's tough but not punishing and is gorgeous to look at it. I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed it because platformers aren't typically for me.

Offline krands85

« Reply #755 on: March 31, 2021, 02:43:34 PM »
After a bunch of false starts over the year I finished Ori and The Blind Forest and the game is simply fantastic. It's tough but not punishing and is gorgeous to look at it. I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed it because platformers aren't typically for me.
Have you played the sequel? I played that one first and loved it. I tried Blind Forest for a bit, got frustrated in one area and got distracted by other games (Game Pass  :hefdaddy ). I must go back to it at some point.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: March 31, 2021, 02:54:41 PM »
Not yet, I'm going to start the sequel in a bit. I wanted to play the first all the way through before picking up the sequel.

Offline krands85

« Reply #757 on: March 31, 2021, 03:57:24 PM »
Yeah not sure why I did it in that order tbh  :lol I'd heard how good Will of the Wisps was and I guess I just wanted to get stuck straight in to that on my shiny new Series S and Gamepass.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: April 06, 2021, 09:37:06 PM »
Ori is indeed a great game. I forgot there was a second one. I am mired in Breath of the Wild for the foreseeable future but will add it to the queue.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #759 on: April 07, 2021, 01:28:50 AM »
https://youtu.be/qL-7-2dL0A0

Here is a comprehensive video by IGN, about all the changes in the Mass Effect Remastered! Looks great, and the changes seem really smart!

I'm also really enjoying my time with AC: Valhalla! I really liked Odyssey, but I think Valhalla improved upon a lot of my complaints about Odyssey. World feels a little bit smaller than Odyssey. I cannot say if there are some hidden huge areas to explore, as I'm "only" 30 hours in. So far it feels big, but not as needlessly huge as Odyssey.

I love that gear is not tied to a character level. No "pick up 5 apples" fetch quests so far. Overall a lot of small improvements!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: April 07, 2021, 05:35:30 AM »

Here is a comprehensive video by IGN, about all the changes in the Mass Effect Remastered! Looks great, and the changes seem really smart!

I'm also really enjoying my time with AC: Valhalla! I really liked Odyssey, but I think Valhalla improved upon a lot of my complaints about Odyssey. World feels a little bit smaller than Odyssey. I cannot say if there are some hidden huge areas to explore, as I'm "only" 30 hours in. So far it feels big, but not as needlessly huge as Odyssey.

I love that gear is not tied to a character level. No "pick up 5 apples" fetch quests so far. Overall a lot of small improvements!

There are tons of "lay 15 medium sized bullhead carp at the alter for a prize" stuff to do, although they aren't required. Orlog is great!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: April 07, 2021, 06:12:17 AM »

I'm sure I posted this elsewhere in this thread but I am so pumped to play this, especially since I haven't played ME3. One of the difficult things has been getting the DLC playing the games so far after the fact so having them all included in this release is a huge bonus for me.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #762 on: April 08, 2021, 08:39:30 AM »

I have been pleasantly surprised every step of the way at how much effort they've put into the remaster. The first game clearly got the most attention, which makes perfect sense and in my opinion was needed. The second and third games look more like standard remasters - better visuals, better performance, and some minor tweaks around the edges. It looks like a great package overall!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: April 08, 2021, 01:58:50 PM »
Not exactly a video game post, but for the last year or so, I would occasionally play Warzone with a guy I call "Uncle Norb".  Good guy, a little younger than me from Ohio living in Pittsburgh.  Just found out through one of his good IRL friends (who I've gamed with via Uncle Norb) that he passed away this week.  He was found dead with his headphones on at his desk with Call of Duty loaded on his laptop.  So fucking sad, and what's even worse is he's still as of now logged into the game and I can see him online.  I'm a bit shocked.  I made one video with him for youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4_4fTwgt_w can't believe he just seemingly randomly died while gaming.  They don't know the cause yet.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #764 on: April 09, 2021, 06:35:16 AM »
Damn, that sucks Marc.

I think about that kind of thing all the time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: April 09, 2021, 07:39:29 AM »
He was still online in his own lobby in COD last night, I kind of wanted to join his lobby, but it seems so weird. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #766 on: April 09, 2021, 08:35:25 AM »
I wonder how often that has happened?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #767 on: April 09, 2021, 06:12:30 PM »
I really love The Last of Us and all, but apparently Sony is working on a remake...? And that HBO series they announced is apparently the story of the original game. I have zero interest in both to be honest, I see absolutely no need for the story to be retold, let alone twice. I wish they put the talent towards other stories in the same universe.

For the show though, it's from HBO, involves the producer/writer of Chernobyl, Pedro Pascal, and the writer of the games. It does seem that there is a reasonably high chance of it being very good. But man, couldn't they make a new story or expand on existing ones (example: Ish from the original, the sailor whose letters you find in those sewers around 1/3 of the game)?

Not exactly a video game post, but for the last year or so, I would occasionally play Warzone with a guy I call "Uncle Norb".  Good guy, a little younger than me from Ohio living in Pittsburgh.  Just found out through one of his good IRL friends (who I've gamed with via Uncle Norb) that he passed away this week.  He was found dead with his headphones on at his desk with Call of Duty loaded on his laptop.  So fucking sad, and what's even worse is he's still as of now logged into the game and I can see him online.  I'm a bit shocked.  I made one video with him for youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4_4fTwgt_w can't believe he just seemingly randomly died while gaming.  They don't know the cause yet.

That is awful, also waaay too young.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #768 on: April 09, 2021, 07:25:02 PM »
I really love The Last of Us and all, but apparently Sony is working on a remake...? And that HBO series they announced is apparently the story of the original game. I have zero interest in both to be honest, I see absolutely no need for the story to be retold, let alone twice. I wish they put the talent towards other stories in the same universe.

For the show though, it's from HBO, involves the producer/writer of Chernobyl, Pedro Pascal, and the writer of the games. It does seem that there is a reasonably high chance of it being very good. But man, couldn't they make a new story or expand on existing ones (example: Ish from the original, the sailor whose letters you find in those sewers around 1/3 of the game)?

Yeah I feel kind of similar.  And the thing is that the original game isn't that old and more to the point the remastered version is already widely available to play on PS4/PS5 and holds up great.

One theory could be this remake will be more tied to the HBO show, it would maybe feature the voice and likeness of that cast?  But that seems a little far fetched.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 07:37:04 PM by XeRocks81 »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #769 on: April 11, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »
I dunno, I totally get wanting to adapt broadly the same story for a TV show, because as big as gaming is these days, there's a huge potential audience to watch a show like that who would not play the game. The fact that they want to do it properly is awesome.

This apparent "remake" for the PS5 when the game isn't even that old just sounds... weird. Unless they just mean a graphical overhaul or something, in which case fine.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.