Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 165016 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1085 on: November 08, 2021, 02:25:14 AM »
Apparently Guardians of the Galaxy is a good game, but it really seems barely anyone is noticing it. I am dissapointed that we don't live in a timeline where these guys are making Dues Ex, but I am glad that they made another good title.

New Call of Duty Vanguard looks terrible IMO. I'll wait until the warzone integration in December to try out the new map in the free warzone but I dont expect to buy Vanguard.

Less than a week away from early access to Battlefield 2042, this is the game I've been really waiting for.

CoD looks incredibly middling. And in a landscape with so many good free to play shooters with reasonable microtransactions, I don't understand why one would buy it.

Is Dark Souls the game that has the reputation as being super difficult to beat and play?

Yes, but the Souls (and Soulslike) games are not necessarily hard in the traditional way of videogames (retro games or some of the modern indies). The games are quite methodical, especially Dark Souls 1 and Demon Souls. In your first Fromsoftware games you will get slaughtered (a lot) but once certain things click the games all feel fair and balanced. In many hard games I just get mad, but there is something about their games that make them feel super rewarding and it tends to feel good to do another attempt.

The only true bullshit thing in all the modern Fromsoft titles is the camera in Sekiro, it's most relentless foe.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1086 on: November 08, 2021, 07:58:02 AM »
Forza!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: November 08, 2021, 10:56:36 AM »
Forza!

Downloading it right now, I can't wait to play tomorrow.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1088 on: November 08, 2021, 08:39:14 PM »
Forza!

Downloading it right now, I can't wait to play tomorrow.
I got the early access on it. There are some weird bugs at the moment. I'm hoping they get ironed out for the full release.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1089 on: November 09, 2021, 02:18:12 AM »
Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are great, though I never played 4 much. My favourite was the Hotwheels DLC for 3. I preloaded 5 yesterday, looking forward to checking it out!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1090 on: November 09, 2021, 05:46:49 AM »
I was trying to show my new GF a game/app called Tilt Brush on my PSVR the other night... I'm pretty sure that experience has convinced me that I'm done with consoles from here on out. I actually rage quit. I don't think I've turned on my PS4 since the last time I bitched about it here, but this was a complete nightmare.   

First off, it took over 10 minutes to get a controller to actually talk to the device because it was behind on updates. The console didn't want to talk to whatever was plugged into the USB ports and I couldn't get the controllers to sync. I had to do a safe mode boot. After getting that sorted, I couldn't get into my PSN account. I didn't know the password, which is admittedly on me, but I'd argue the reason I don't know it is because Sony forces me to change it every couple months because my account keeps getting hit in breaches.   

After I finally get that working, I go to play Tilt Brush. For the first time ever on my PS4, I saw a prompt for two factor authentication just to play a game. It just kept saying something like "generate a code with your authenticator app". Well, I downloaded 6 different authenticator apps and couldn't get anywhere. You'd think the official PS App would have that capability, but no. I need to two factor authenticate to get into that too! I eventually just said fuck it and put it all away. I was livid. All I wanted to do was get stoned paint 3D pictures in space, and instead I got 30 minutes of security bullshit that ultimately prevented me from playing something I paid for long ago.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 05:53:09 AM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: November 09, 2021, 08:13:53 AM »
lol the last time I powered up my xbox 1 I had a similar experience.  If I recall, I just wanted to watch a DVD with it and it was non stop updates since I hadn't used it in a couple years.  I just turned it off on frustration and haven't turned it on since.  I probably should have offloaded it back then as it's probably worthless now.  If I get a console again, it's going to be a switch.  Even now with PS exclusives slowly making their way to PC, there's just no reason to play on console if you have a gaming PC. 

Speaking of, anyone have any recommendations on controllers to use on PC?  I have my xbox 1 controllers, but they are sooo flaky with the USB cable that it often disconnects while playing and it extremely frustrating.  I hear talk of Scump controllers?  But I have no idea if they are any good or whats so special about them.  I guess I could just get the latest xbox controller.  I'm not likely wanting to try a PS controller since I've heard there can be some issues getting them to work on a PC and I'd rather just avoid all that.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1092 on: November 09, 2021, 08:23:55 AM »
I use a DS4 controller on my PC to play Beam NG, and I have no complaints. It worked flawlessly the second my PC/Steam recognized it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1093 on: November 09, 2021, 08:24:13 AM »
lol the last time I powered up my xbox 1 I had a similar experience.  If I recall, I just wanted to watch a DVD with it and it was non stop updates since I hadn't used it in a couple years.  I just turned it off on frustration and haven't turned it on since.  I probably should have offloaded it back then as it's probably worthless now.  If I get a console again, it's going to be a switch.  Even now with PS exclusives slowly making their way to PC, there's just no reason to play on console if you have a gaming PC. 

Speaking of, anyone have any recommendations on controllers to use on PC?  I have my xbox 1 controllers, but they are sooo flaky with the USB cable that it often disconnects while playing and it extremely frustrating.  I hear talk of Scump controllers?  But I have no idea if they are any good or whats so special about them.  I guess I could just get the latest xbox controller.  I'm not likely wanting to try a PS controller since I've heard there can be some issues getting them to work on a PC and I'd rather just avoid all that.

The Xbox series controller is great. If you order it via xbox design lab (official microsoft store), you can customise it's looks for nearly the same price as a regular one.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: November 09, 2021, 08:42:11 AM »
The xbox series and DS4, those don't have paddles though?  I think I should add, I'd want a controller with the paddles since that seems like a useful feature for customization and for FPS gaming.

also lol its not Scump controller (some streamer known as Scump uses it) it's a Scuf controller.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1095 on: November 09, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »
All the extra things to do of the current console experience makes me nostalgic for the days of the SNES or PS1, where you just put the game in and play, but it is what it is.

I rarely turn on my PS4 honestly. I really just prefer my switch lite since its basically always on, and I just pick up and play.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: November 09, 2021, 09:05:43 AM »
All the extra things to do of the current console experience makes me nostalgic for the days of the SNES or PS1, where you just put the game in and play, but it is what it is.

I rarely turn on my PS4 honestly. I really just prefer my switch lite since its basically always on, and I just pick up and play.

Yeah, my PS2 and N64 see significant more use than my xbox 1  :lol it's really refreshing to pop in a game and it just plays, no internet needed, no updates, nothing.  Just play the game as it was intended the same way it was released.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1097 on: November 09, 2021, 09:12:50 AM »
I was trying to show my new GF a game/app called Tilt Brush on my PSVR the other night... I'm pretty sure that experience has convinced me that I'm done with consoles from here on out. I actually rage quit. I don't think I've turned on my PS4 since the last time I bitched about it here, but this was a complete nightmare.   

First off, it took over 10 minutes to get a controller to actually talk to the device because it was behind on updates. The console didn't want to talk to whatever was plugged into the USB ports and I couldn't get the controllers to sync. I had to do a safe mode boot. After getting that sorted, I couldn't get into my PSN account. I didn't know the password, which is admittedly on me, but I'd argue the reason I don't know it is because Sony forces me to change it every couple months because my account keeps getting hit in breaches.   

After I finally get that working, I go to play Tilt Brush. For the first time ever on my PS4, I saw a prompt for two factor authentication just to play a game. It just kept saying something like "generate a code with your authenticator app". Well, I downloaded 6 different authenticator apps and couldn't get anywhere. You'd think the official PS App would have that capability, but no. I need to two factor authenticate to get into that too! I eventually just said fuck it and put it all away. I was livid. All I wanted to do was get stoned paint 3D pictures in space, and instead I got 30 minutes of security bullshit that ultimately prevented me from playing something I paid for long ago.

God damn. I haven't turned on my PS4 since I finished Ghost of Tsushima a few weeks after it came out. Lately, I've been thinking about getting Judgement. Will I have to also go through all that boolsheet?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1098 on: November 09, 2021, 09:50:48 AM »
I've never had that problem with my PSN account and the transition from the PS4 to PS5 was seamless.  Never changed my PW either but I do have 2 factor authentication.  No problems.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1099 on: November 09, 2021, 09:52:53 AM »
I've never had that problem with my PSN account and the transition from the PS4 to PS5 was seamless.  Never changed my PW either but I do have 2 factor authentication.  No problems.

I'm jealous. I've had to close two different debit cards and file fraudulent claims twice in the last two years because of my Sony account being compromised. In one instance, someone bought over $500 worth of games on my card.   

What do you use for the two factor authentication app?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1100 on: November 09, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »

I'm jealous. I've had to close two different debit cards and file fraudulent claims twice in the last two years because of my Sony account being compromised. In one instance, someone bought over $500 worth of games on my card.   

What do you use for the two factor authentication app?

Well, I have the console set up to sign in automatically but I added a 4 digit PIN to get in each time.  I also have to enter the PW each time I purchase from the store.  Still, I never changed my original PW from 6 years ago (which I should probably do).  However, my WiFi network is pretty secure.  I also switched from using a debit card to a credit card.  Debits are easier to breach.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1101 on: November 09, 2021, 12:21:36 PM »
I have never had to do anything other than updating when booting up my PS4 after a while. And said updates are only necessary when going online, meaning installed games will work fine without it. My console is tied to my account and I never have to log in and use the two step verification. This is only when I log in on my Sony account on other devices. Surely these issues are a setting somewhere?

The xbox series and DS4, those don't have paddles though?  I think I should add, I'd want a controller with the paddles since that seems like a useful feature for customization and for FPS gaming.

also lol its not Scump controller (some streamer known as Scump uses it) it's a Scuf controller.

The dualshock 4 has an official paddles add on by Sony, which is 30 dollars. And the Dualshock 4 has gyro, which may be of use in shooters.

Xbox controller has an elite version with paddles, but it ain't cheap.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: November 09, 2021, 12:41:20 PM »
I have never had to do anything other than updating when booting up my PS4 after a while. And said updates are only necessary when going online, meaning installed games will work fine without it. My console is tied to my account and I never have to log in and use the two step verification. This is only when I log in on my Sony account on other devices. Surely these issues are a setting somewhere?

The dualshock 4 has an official paddles add on by Sony, which is 30 dollars. And the Dualshock 4 has gyro, which may be of use in shooters.

From some research I've done today, AKA read this https://www.pcgamer.com/best-controller-for-pc-gaming/ that xbox elite controller seems to be the best.  But yeah, the cost does seem to be the issue then.  Even with the Scuf one, it's similar priced.  The DS4 actually may not be bad but this part is what is kind of holding me back from wanting it:

The bad news: the DualSense's most advanced features don't work in PC games yet, since games will need to be programmed to take advantage of them. But Steam already offers full support for the controller, so it's at least a breeze to plug in and use like any other pad. It's a hair less comfortable than the Xbox Series X controller, and not as simple to use in non-Steam games, but if you prefer Sony's analog stick layout or love gyro aiming, this is the one to get.

I also don't care for gyro aiming, I don't think I'd ever use that in a competitive game mode. 

Ugh, I don't want to spend over $150 on a controller right now.  I'm currently using one just to play Fall Guys lately  :lol but figured if I got a solid controller, I'd try it in some FPS games because of aim assist to test out (hence why wanting the paddles, certainly don't need that for Fall Guys).  Maybe I'll come back to this at a later date.

I also just bought a new mouse (Corsair Katar Pro XT) which is why I don't want to spend too much on a controller.  My really nice Razer Basilisk mouse of under 1 year old, the scroll wheel has stopped working.  It occasionally works and then fails again.  I need to try to do an RMA on it, but I need a back up until then so got a good bargain gaming mouse and I can keep that as my spare if I can get my nice mouse fixed.  I've been salivating waiting for BF2042 this Friday, not going to let my mouse all of the sudden giving me shit, stop me from playing this game  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1103 on: November 09, 2021, 12:45:52 PM »

From some research I've done today, AKA read this https://www.pcgamer.com/best-controller-for-pc-gaming/ that xbox elite controller seems to be the best.  But yeah, the cost does seem to be the issue then.  Even with the Scuf one, it's similar priced.  The DS4 actually may not be bad but this part is what is kind of holding me back from wanting it:

The bad news: the DualSense's most advanced features don't work in PC games yet, since games will need to be programmed to take advantage of them. But Steam already offers full support for the controller, so it's at least a breeze to plug in and use like any other pad. It's a hair less comfortable than the Xbox Series X controller, and not as simple to use in non-Steam games, but if you prefer Sony's analog stick layout or love gyro aiming, this is the one to get.

I also don't care for gyro aiming, I don't think I'd ever use that in a competitive game mode. 

Ugh, I don't want to spend over $150 on a controller right now.  I'm currently using one just to play Fall Guys lately  :lol but figured if I got a solid controller, I'd try it in some FPS games because of aim assist to test out (hence why wanting the paddles, certainly don't need that for Fall Guys).  Maybe I'll come back to this at a later date.

I also just bought a new mouse (Corsair Katar Pro XT) which is why I don't want to spend too much on a controller.  My really nice Razer Basilisk mouse of under 1 year old, the scroll wheel has stopped working.  It occasionally works and then fails again.  I need to try to do an RMA on it, but I need a back up until then so got a good bargain gaming mouse and I can keep that as my spare if I can get my nice mouse fixed.  I've been salivating waiting for BF2042 this Friday, not going to let my mouse all of the sudden giving me shit, stop me from playing this game  :lol

Keep in mind the Dualsense is a different controller than the Dualshock 4.

Dualsense is a true next gen controller but I doubt PC support will go anywhere anytime soon for it's force feedback and adaptive triggers, outside perhaps the first party Sony titles.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: November 09, 2021, 12:54:44 PM »
Ah yeah, DS has two meanings I guess.

Honestly. I want that Xbox elite controller. I generally like the Xbox feel over PS and has the features I want. Just don't want to pay for it, right now. And if my broken mouse wasn't razer, I'd consider their controller but right now they are not in my good side.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1105 on: November 09, 2021, 02:16:48 PM »

Honestly. I want that Xbox elite controller. I generally like the Xbox feel over PS and has the features I want. Just don't want to pay for it, right now. And if my broken mouse wasn't razer, I'd consider their controller but right now they are not in my good side.

I just remembered, the 8bitdo pro 2 controller is supposedly very good as well, has the paddles and is around 50 dollars.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/8bitdo-pro-2

(I was considering ditching the Nintendo pro controller and going for that one, but decided to leave it be as I don't game enough on the Switch).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1106 on: November 09, 2021, 02:34:25 PM »
Been making more progress in Metroid Dread.

Overall I thoroughly like it but have some minor grips. One, despite it being the core mechanic of the game, I've never enjoyed being chased in games. Especially when the chaser is pretty much invincible. Yeah it gets the blood pumping, but it kinda gets old by the 3rd section where you are doing it again and again. oh well

My other nitpick is the map might be too big. Like nothing I have ever seen before in a Metroid game. I mean, its mammoth. Which makes the backtracking and exploring kind of a chore as opposed to previous games.

Besides that, its a damn good Metroid game.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: November 09, 2021, 02:36:34 PM »

I just remembered, the 8bitdo pro 2 controller is supposedly very good as well, has the paddles and is around 50 dollars.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/8bitdo-pro-2

(I was considering ditching the Nintendo pro controller and going for that one, but decided to leave it be as I don't game enough on the Switch).

That actually looks really solid! This one comment concerns me though
the rear buttons can only duplicate other buttons, they can't be bound as distinct inputs on PC. without this feature it's just another cheapo that doesn't compare to the xbox controllers in feel or quality

Which may not be make or break for me, but being able to set one of those to a push to talk in discord would potentially be a use for me.  I'm not sure that makes it worth $100 more though.  This may be worth the purchase.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: November 09, 2021, 02:58:03 PM »
This may or may not work but there were some steam controllers going around for really cheap. I really like mine and you might be able to find one for cheap on ebay. The only issue is you need to start your games from steam for the steam profile to apply to the controller (there are ways around this but it's a huge pain in the ass)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: November 09, 2021, 03:00:24 PM »
This may or may not work but there were some steam controllers going around for really cheap. I really like mine and you might be able to find one for cheap on ebay. The only issue is you need to start your games from steam for the steam profile to apply to the controller (there are ways around this but it's a huge pain in the ass)

I don't know if I care too much for the steam specific product.  Also, the Playstation controller is a bit shaky outside of steam from what I read.  Steam isn't the only platform I use (origin with Battlefield and Apex Legends) or Battlenet (for COD) get used wayyy more these days. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: November 09, 2021, 05:16:50 PM »
Wow, I literally just submitted the initial form to get a support request and hopefully RMA for my Razer mouse (and maybe this is more in line with the PC thread, but since I've been talking about it here...) and after hitting submit, I accidently knocked over the mouse onto the floor.  I was using a spare mouse I have (that is also kind of broken, hence why I ordered a cheap one today) and my bad mouse that I'm trying to RMA is wireless, so I had it on the mouse pad upside down to read the serial number and boom, swiped my other mouse into it and it flew off my desk. Guess what, the scroll wheel is working now  :rollin

Going to keep that RMA open though, I think this just confirms something is wrong with the hardware and it's not drivers or something else.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1111 on: November 09, 2021, 05:46:05 PM »
Had some major nostalgia today when I saw FrankieonPC uploading a new video after a 4-5 year hiatus. Ah man his videos was always so entertaining.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1112 on: November 10, 2021, 03:39:06 AM »
Forza Horizon 5 is very good. But I am not sure whether I should wrap up 3 and keep this one for the future. I will say that I found the intro of Horizon 4 better, but my first impression of Mexico is that this is the best Forza Horizon map to date.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1113 on: November 10, 2021, 07:07:51 AM »
For anyone interested in what actual GTA trilogy remaster gameplay looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE5c6jZpvSA&t=98s

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1114 on: November 10, 2021, 07:41:17 AM »
For anyone interested in what actual GTA trilogy remaster gameplay looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE5c6jZpvSA&t=98s

3 and VC look absolutely hideous to me, but for SA the new graphics work and it really looks they put much more effort into that one to make a coherent whole.

San Andreas Definitive is on gamepass, so I will check it out.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1115 on: November 10, 2021, 12:46:37 PM »
Got an email from Steam saying the Steam Deck is being pushed to Feb 2022 due to supply constraints. Honestly not surprisingly in the least.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: November 10, 2021, 01:05:24 PM »
yea I got the same email, look forward to getting it whenever it does come out

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1117 on: November 11, 2021, 07:21:47 AM »
I am glad Forza Horizon 5 found a big playerbase (5 million people apparently), well deserved. But I decided to continue Forza Horizon 3, as aside from the different location and newer tech, there seems to be no difference whatsoever. And 3 still has much content to tackle for me. I played 5 for an hour and could not tell you a single thing that it does that 3 does not, let alone 4. And while the graphics show a shit load of great detail when standing still, when racing those details don't really catch my eye, 3 still looks great (though no performance mode on series X, unlike 4 and 5).

That said, if you are new to the series or want more of it, I can recommend 5 easily. And if you want a slick new game on your PC especially, the game looks marvellous indeed.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: November 11, 2021, 07:57:57 AM »
I've been having a lot of fun with 5. It's the perfect gamepass game for me, I can pick it up and put it down easily. That said I'm ready for my billionth playthrough of Skyrim today.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1119 on: November 11, 2021, 11:36:31 AM »
Tried a bit of San Andreas Definitive on the Series X. Not only is it a mess with many glitches, the increased draw distance looks plain silly. The desert now looks like a literal sandbox on the other side of a river.