Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 165799 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1050 on: September 17, 2021, 01:24:57 PM »
Exclusive releases on PS5 is just one of many reasons to own a PS5.

For me it's the only reason to own one. I haven't bought an Xbox since the original Xbox because what little exclusives they've had over the years don't appeal to me. I'm not even sure if they have exclusives anymore.

Well, I've always been a Sony guy.  Their products are much more reliable and value added.  Microsoft on the other hand...nope. :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: September 24, 2021, 09:30:27 AM »
Wooo got my invite to beta test Halo Infinite this weekend.  Starting in 90 minutes is the first 3 hour window to test the 5 v 5.  Pretty excited since I am home today that I can play this, but sadly won't be around for most of the other 3 hour windows throughout the weekend. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1052 on: September 27, 2021, 08:12:59 AM »
Playing Subnautica Below Zero and Psychonauts 2.

I like Below Zero, it seems a bit more "cozy" thus far and a bit more streamlined, with a more clear presence of a scripted plot. But that is not a bad thing. The initial hours do feel a lot less hazardous/tense though. I do not think that is because I experienced the first game already. In the original, there are some early objective lead you to zones where you can meet some big ass insta death foes and areas where the atmosphere is tense. In Below Zero I have not encountered any real danger or opressive zones yet during the first five hours (just following a logical route for the plot). But I don't think this is a bad thing, this game flows really well thus far and the exploration and I am enjoying it. In the original I have had many "useless" expeditions, in Below Zero everything feels a bit more deliberate. There is something to be said for both.

Psychonauts 2 is awesome. Just a fun exploration platformer that has great variety in locales. I absolutely adore the hubworld and the atmosphere and the characters are top notch.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: September 27, 2021, 08:56:07 AM »
Wooo got my invite to beta test Halo Infinite this weekend.  Starting in 90 minutes is the first 3 hour window to test the 5 v 5.  Pretty excited since I am home today that I can play this, but sadly won't be around for most of the other 3 hour windows throughout the weekend.

This felt almost exactly the same as Halo used to feel.  Gameplay was smooth.  Gunplay was really good.  Graphics were really nice.  It was actually 4 v 4 in three small maps.  If you liked older Halo games, you'd like this.  However, that was just a small test last weekend.  This weekend coming up is the larger maps with the beta testing for Big Team Battle.  That should show off a lot more of the game. I did upload a full game to my youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUskdFXJWJQ if anyone is interested.  The only real newish feature was being able to pick up grapple hooks, which are pretty useful for surprise attacks or to grab a weapon you see but can't easily reach (like when the rocket launcher spawns on the map).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1054 on: October 01, 2021, 08:48:54 PM »
Anybody play Diablo 2 resurrected?

Looks decent, but I've played so much of the original at this point that I don't know if I need anymore.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1055 on: October 01, 2021, 10:30:24 PM »
Anybody play Diablo 2 resurrected?

Looks decent, but I've played so much of the original at this point that I don't know if I need anymore.
I didn't know it was released yet. I may check  it out eventually. I liked Diablo 2 when it originally came out. Played it a lot.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1056 on: October 02, 2021, 08:30:29 AM »
I got it on switch and its running very well.

Its so surreal to start a new game, assume the new graphics are what I remembered from nostalgia, and then switch back to the old graphics and have my mind blown of how different they were  :lol
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 08:38:17 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1057 on: October 02, 2021, 10:10:11 AM »
Went into Satisfactory again, that's a game I could easily waste hours on.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1058 on: October 02, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
I need to give satisfactory a try again. Dozens of hours disappeared when I played Factorio but Satisfactory didn't have the same effect.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: October 04, 2021, 08:40:19 AM »
I had so much fun playing the Halo Infinite Big Team Battle beta test over the weekend.  It's almost like Halo did absolutely nothing to the new game, it plays and feels exactly the same as the old ones.... and yet it's so refreshing and fun. Maybe just compared to COD or Apex where it's so difficult to learn the weapons, this by comparison is much simpler.  I guess also playing Halo on PC for the first time adds to the good feeling of the play. I got a lot of footage, can probably pump out a few tiktoks later when I go through the video but here's a quick sniping clip: https://clips.twitch.tv/MoldySmellyGarlicPrimeMe-zUOU-yCZiEJh5aV0

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1060 on: October 04, 2021, 08:46:03 AM »
I had so much fun playing the Halo Infinite Big Team Battle beta test over the weekend.  It's almost like Halo did absolutely nothing to the new game, it plays and feels exactly the same as the old ones.... and yet it's so refreshing and fun. Maybe just compared to COD or Apex where it's so difficult to learn the weapons, this by comparison is much simpler.  I guess also playing Halo on PC for the first time adds to the good feeling of the play. I got a lot of footage, can probably pump out a few tiktoks later when I go through the video but here's a quick sniping clip: https://clips.twitch.tv/MoldySmellyGarlicPrimeMe-zUOU-yCZiEJh5aV0

I think part of it is that the time is ripe for a big old(er) school shooter after many years of different trends.

I sincerely hope the campaign is good as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: October 04, 2021, 08:50:44 AM »
I'm not even sure I will buy the game since the multiplayer is free.  But I think you are right about timing.  FPS games right now are very stale, so even a new game being just a call back to a classic, feels fresh.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1062 on: October 08, 2021, 10:42:24 AM »
Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy

Atleast it's something other than GTAV content. Honestly though, i'm kinda excited for this.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: October 08, 2021, 10:44:47 AM »
Vice city is one of my favorite games of all time so this will be a day one purchase for me

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: October 13, 2021, 11:22:50 AM »
I don't plan on giving rockstar any money until they make a new game

Anyway, for FPS players, next month is going to start a wild new ride.  COD just announced their new anti-cheat system!  :metal :metal Only took about 2 years, but this is a huge W in my book. 

RICOCHET Anti-Cheat
We are proud to introduce RICOCHET Anti-Cheat, a robust anti-cheat system supported by a team of dedicated professionals focused on fighting unfair play.

The RICOCHET Anti-Cheat initiative is a multi-faceted approach to combat cheating, featuring new server-side tools which monitor analytics to identify cheating, enhanced investigation processes to stamp out cheaters, updates to strengthen account security, and more. RICOCHET Anti-Cheat’s backend anti-cheat security features will launch alongside Call of Duty®: Vanguard, and later this year with the Pacific update coming to Call of Duty: Warzone.

In addition to server enhancements coming with RICOCHET Anti-Cheat is a new PC kernel-level driver, developed internally for the Call of Duty franchise, and launching first for Call of Duty: Warzone. This driver will assist in the identification of cheaters, reinforcing and strengthening the overall server security. The kernel-level driver launches alongside the Pacific update for Warzone later this year.

While the kernel driver, which is only a part of RICOCHET Anti-Cheat, will release to PC, by extension, console players playing via cross-play against players on PC will also stand to benefit. The kernel-level driver will subsequently release for Call of Duty: Vanguard at a later date.

I don't plan on buying Vanguard, but I expect I'll start playing Warzone again with the new map and anti-cheat coming before the end of the year.

Also, Battlefield is releasing their trailer and details for the new Hazard Zone mode tomorrow.  For me, this may be what makes or breaks the game in terms of long term interest.  I enjoyed the beta so I know the regular BF modes will be fun, but this new mode could be something that takes the game to the next level to compete with Warzone as the most popular FPS game mode. It's not a battle royale and rumored to be more like Escape from Tarkov. 

And of course there is Halo Infinite.  The beta was also really fun for this, but wasn't anyhting new.  This may be fun to play, but they need a new more (whether its a BR or something else) to really compete with BF and COD IMO. 

Regardless, all this competition for the space is great IMO.  We are finally seeing these companies listen to the users because keeping people from jumping to another game is going to be very important in 2022.  I love it!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1065 on: October 19, 2021, 07:27:55 PM »

Atleast it's something other than GTAV content. Honestly though, i'm kinda excited for this.

Hmm...I'm not sure what to think about this. I haven't played GTA 3 since it came out. I never finished the Miami Vice one. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the kamikaze cops, or driving all the way to the mission point after failing.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1066 on: October 22, 2021, 08:03:44 AM »

Hmm...I'm not sure what to think about this. I haven't played GTA 3 since it came out. I never finished the Miami Vice one. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the kamikaze cops, or driving all the way to the mission point after failing.

Official trailer launched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D71cBUeAL58

I have to hand it to them... they really managed to upgrade the graphics while still making it feel old.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1067 on: October 22, 2021, 08:24:36 AM »
I really wanted some Bond action after seeing the latest film (and a couple of other Bond films). But the Bond games are not exactly easily (legally) available. But I remembered I own all Gamecube and Wii Bond games, so I ordered a Wii2HDMI dongle and played some. First of all, the Wii looks rough on my LG CX 55", jesus. But 4:3 Gamecube games with the tv set to 4:3 can look good, depending on the game (Metroid Prime looks quite nice, actually, all things considered).

Did a bit of Everything or Nothing and From Russia with Love. Both play reasonably well and I am enjoying them for sure. Man, EA used to make some killer licensed games. Everything or Nothing kind of feels like an AAA blockbuster somewhat ahead of it's time.

I have to hand it to them... they really managed to upgrade the graphics while still making it feel old.

I will buy it for the massive nostalgia, but gameplaywise these games have aged extreeemely poorly in my opinion. I played San Andreas recently and I doubt I will have much fun with the actual gameplay in any of these. The oldschool open world mission design ("do this exactly like this or fail") will start to wear on me quickly as well, probably.

I am not sure where I land on these graphics, but I am glad they are putting in some actual effort/production values. Would be nice if they tweaked the gameplay a bit as well.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1068 on: October 22, 2021, 08:33:40 AM »
I don't know if it's rumor or not, but I've read that a weapon wheel and aiming system similar to V's has been implemented across this trilogy.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1069 on: October 22, 2021, 10:16:15 AM »
I really wanted some Bond action after seeing the latest film (and a couple of other Bond films). But the Bond games are not exactly easily (legally) available. But I remembered I own all Gamecube and Wii Bond games, so I ordered a Wii2HDMI dongle and played some. First of all, the Wii looks rough on my LG CX 55", jesus. But 4:3 Gamecube games with the tv set to 4:3 can look good, depending on the game (Metroid Prime looks quite nice, actually, all things considered).

Did a bit of Everything or Nothing and From Russia with Love. Both play reasonably well and I am enjoying them for sure. Man, EA used to make some killer licensed games. Everything or Nothing kind of feels like an AAA blockbuster somewhat ahead of it's time.

I will buy it for the massive nostalgia, but gameplaywise these games have aged extreeemely poorly in my opinion. I played San Andreas recently and I doubt I will have much fun with the actual gameplay in any of these. The oldschool open world mission design ("do this exactly like this or fail") will start to wear on me quickly as well, probably.

I am not sure where I land on these graphics, but I am glad they are putting in some actual effort/production values. Would be nice if they tweaked the gameplay a bit as well.

Rockstar still did that in GTA V & RDR 2 though. There's probably a bit more leeway in their newer games but I don't remember much room for improvisation in any of the GTA V & RDR 2 missions.

I recently read or watched a video about GTA 3 and how cool it was because there was a mission where the player figured out another way to complete it. I think it had something to do with a car bomb. It was like the player was saying GTA 3 was better than the newer games because it was more "open" but I think he just found a bizarre way to complete a mission that wasn't intended by Rockstar. If someone plays the shit out of these games, they're going to find all sorts of loopholes, shortcuts, and stuff.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1070 on: October 22, 2021, 10:20:09 AM »
In other news, I was very surprised when I opened up Steam yesterday and saw God of War was on there for pre-order. If this kinda lovely stuff keeps going on, I may be skipping this current console generation.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1071 on: October 22, 2021, 10:39:08 AM »
In other news, I was very surprised when I opened up Steam yesterday and saw God of War was on there for pre-order. If this kinda lovely stuff keeps going on, I may be skipping this current console generation.

It's really cool that this game is soon going to be available to even more players, but this does make me expect that any big first-party PS5 game is eventually going to make its way to PC, and that makes me less interested in getting a PS5. At this point, I think I'll only be getting one if/when my PS4 stops working.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: October 22, 2021, 11:36:41 AM »
As a non console owner, the only thing that made me even consider buying a console was the exclusive games which for the past few years had been something PS really was doing well.  I'll be very happy if those games start coming to PC. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1073 on: October 22, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
I'm hoping to see Judgement and the Final Fantasy 7 remake make their way to PC. Something happened with the star of Judgement's management company that has kept the game from being ported. Curses! I might end buying it for the PS4 if it's real cheap...like $20. I don't really enjoy playing games on my PS4.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1074 on: October 22, 2021, 12:52:18 PM »
as far as GTA Trilogy goes:

It doesn't look all that much better and a full priced $60 for twenty year old games is very lame. I'll pass for the time being.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1075 on: October 22, 2021, 02:49:39 PM »
I kinda got a The Long Dark vibe with the visuals, looked polished but still with a retro vibe. Hopefully they might have updated the gameplay a bit.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1076 on: October 22, 2021, 04:10:13 PM »

Rockstar still did that in GTA V & RDR 2 though. There's probably a bit more leeway in their newer games but I don't remember much room for improvisation in any of the GTA V & RDR 2 missions.

I recently read or watched a video about GTA 3 and how cool it was because there was a mission where the player figured out another way to complete it. I think it had something to do with a car bomb. It was like the player was saying GTA 3 was better than the newer games because it was more "open" but I think he just found a bizarre way to complete a mission that wasn't intended by Rockstar. If someone plays the shit out of these games, they're going to find all sorts of loopholes, shortcuts, and stuff.

You are not wrong. But I feel GTAV and especially Red Dead 2 sell this formula better by having excellent and varied setpieces that often do warrant the linear approach. This is in part due to the great advances in graphics and animation, but it all feels much more organic (as long as you don't intentionally stray of the intended routes). And both GTA V and Red Dead have more to their core gameplay (not just moveset/weapons/powers, also the a.i. and general physics/interactivity).

I am also not a huge GTA V fan btw (and IV even was a big dissapointment for me), but I think Red Dead 2 is a masterpiece (which does not mean I don't have any criticisms).

I will never get tired of San Andreas, running around in that open world feels like home. If I were to pick a childhood game, then that would be my pick. I even remember the moment I got it. But I do think in this day and age it looks and plays like shit. And purely in terms of gameplay, I have yet to play a ps2-era title that aged worse for me, and I have played a lot of them recently.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1077 on: November 05, 2021, 08:10:54 AM »
For anyone who's a Dark souls fan, they just released a bunch of gameplay footage for the studio's new game Elden Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JldMvQMO_5U

Definitely looking forward to this one.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: November 05, 2021, 09:39:42 AM »
I'm terrible at Dark Souls games but I'll still probably pick this up, it looks fantastic.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1079 on: November 05, 2021, 10:34:47 AM »
I'm terrible at Dark Souls games but I'll still probably pick this up, it looks fantastic.

They said it's going to be their most accessible game. I'm fine with the difficulty of those games but I fucking cannot stand getting killed by a boss and having to run back and try again. I really hope this upcoming game does not have Boss Runs.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1080 on: November 05, 2021, 11:11:34 AM »
I'm definitely not a Dark Souls fan either, but Elden Ring looks pretty cool.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1081 on: November 05, 2021, 11:16:09 AM »
Is Dark Souls the game that has the reputation as being super difficult to beat and play?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1082 on: November 05, 2021, 11:28:10 AM »
Is Dark Souls the game that has the reputation as being super difficult to beat and play?

Yes.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: November 06, 2021, 08:48:02 AM »
A lot of games for me to look forward to this week; GTA3 Remastered, Forza Horizon, Skyrim rerelease, Jurassic World Evolution

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: November 06, 2021, 11:24:21 AM »
New Call of Duty Vanguard looks terrible IMO. I'll wait until the warzone integration in December to try out the new map in the free warzone but I dont expect to buy Vanguard.

Less than a week away from early access to Battlefield 2042, this is the game I've been really waiting for.