Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 191954 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!
« Reply #3255 on: January 08, 2024, 06:16:52 PM »
Just stepped on a scale today, and I'm over 200lbs for the first time in about 8 years.  Gotta find the motivation to change.  I'm starting with my eating habits first.  If/when I can get those under control, then I'll work my way back into exercising.

Just do it man, don't think just start back doing something, extra walking even, one small step brother!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3256 on: January 08, 2024, 06:24:57 PM »
For me, everything has been pretty consistent.  My legs have copped a hammering with running volume over the last 3-4 months (over 300km a month) so trying to manage that but my goal now while I have time is to focus on improving my running, ie getting faster, running longer and improving my endurance.  This will have to come from more speed work, intervals and things like that.  My endurance is solid, but I'm stagnating. 

The other side is I'm lifting up to six days a week, so the other part of the goal is to improve my lifts also and build more strength.  I've had a lull over the last month or so where I was I think overtraining and getting weaker and slower.  I'm coming out of it but the other part is now to track and focus on my nutrition.  I need to improve the quality of the food and cut out a lot of the shitty food.  I won't get better unless I do everything I can.  Saying that, my needs are looking upwards of 3000 calories a day.  So the last week I've been tracking that and making sure I get just the adequate amount of protein and focusing on carbs.  I think the amount I was doing with my carb intake was doing more harm than good.  And then, the carbs I was getting was sugar mixed with extra fat, no good.  The goal is to improve performance but make sure I'm at least not loosing weight.  If anything, I want to gain a couple of kg while improving performance.

This mornings run was a 7km in just over 35 minutes so it's time to get a little bit of speed back in.  Trying to now taper the volume and push a bit harder at times to increase my Vo2 max.  I didn't get to that level today, the legs suffer well before the cardiovascular system.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3257 on: January 08, 2024, 06:41:32 PM »
Getting back into it with some dumbbells and just getting some arms exercises. Really trying to get my eating habits under control.

I would like to get some light cardio in but by the time the kids are in bed, the last thing I want to do is go walking.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3258 on: January 22, 2024, 09:20:50 AM »
Just got registered for the annual trail Half Marathon I do each late winter/early spring. March 3rd. The only time I've missed this race since 2012 was in 2016 when I didn't sign up in time and it filled up. Due to it being ran at a State Park they limit the entries to (this year) 300...in the past it was 500....and it fills quick once it's announced. So....this times out pretty good to my recent weight loss challenge...which...finally ends this Friday!!

I 'should' win this thing....I'm at 10.16% body weight percentage lost....20.1lbs and if I stay on pace I should drop another half pound or so this week. Next closest percentage is 4.47% but I'm not taking anything for granted....gotta hammer out this last week and collect that prize money!!! $350 would be great.

Here's an elevation view of this race....the name of the race is the 'Quivering Quads'....which is very appropriate

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 09:35:10 AM by gmillerdrake »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3259 on: January 22, 2024, 10:11:59 AM »
Here's an elevation view of this race....the name of the race is the 'Quivering Quads'....which is very appropriate

Seems brutal. :metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3260 on: January 22, 2024, 10:18:08 AM »

That jump at the 10.7ish mark that looks like it's straight up....IS virtually a straight up climb. It's this rocky path etched in the side of a 'hill' that is near impossible to actually 'run' it and each step is a leg on fire step. Most of the course as you can see is just cut through nothing but peaks and valleys.

That second leg there that you can see where the trail veers off then sends you on an out and back....when you get to that circular section right when you enter it you cross a chest high creek. It's SO cold but feels SO good!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3261 on: January 22, 2024, 10:53:14 AM »

That jump at the 10.7ish mark that looks like it's straight up....IS virtually a straight up climb. It's this rocky path etched in the side of a 'hill' that is near impossible to actually 'run' it and each step is a leg on fire step. Most of the course as you can see is just cut through nothing but peaks and valleys.

That second leg there that you can see where the trail veers off then sends you on an out and back....when you get to that circular section right when you enter it you cross a chest high creek. It's SO cold but feels SO good!

I would absolutely run something like this. We really are an insane bunch. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3262 on: January 22, 2024, 04:23:00 PM »
Just got registered for the annual trail Half Marathon I do each late winter/early spring. March 3rd. The only time I've missed this race since 2012 was in 2016 when I didn't sign up in time and it filled up. Due to it being ran at a State Park they limit the entries to (this year) 300...in the past it was 500....and it fills quick once it's announced. So....this times out pretty good to my recent weight loss challenge...which...finally ends this Friday!!

I 'should' win this thing....I'm at 10.16% body weight percentage lost....20.1lbs and if I stay on pace I should drop another half pound or so this week. Next closest percentage is 4.47% but I'm not taking anything for granted....gotta hammer out this last week and collect that prize money!!! $350 would be great.

So, we're looking at around 400m elevation gain for a half marathon, looks pretty epic Gary!  I'd definitely give this a go too haha.  Good luck.

You on strava mate?  Me, Rich, Ruslan and Tomi all follow each other on there.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3263 on: January 22, 2024, 04:35:03 PM »

So, we're looking at around 400m elevation gain for a half marathon, looks pretty epic Gary!  I'd definitely give this a go too haha.  Good luck.

I am not. My running is pretty boring. I do the same 5 mile run a couple times a week and then will sign up for this race in the spring and there is a fall half marathon I really like that I sign up for and do that one. That way....I have half marathon runs kind of 'book end' my year.....and keep me semi-motivated to stay in shape.  :lol   My body is kind of 'used' to the half marathon distance and I know what to expect so I don't even train all that hard for them these days...I won't run over that 5 mile distance I'm accustomed to at any point other than the two times a year I run those halves.

And yes....this race is actually pretty popular in the trail running community and people come from a lot of different places to run it simply due to how challenging it can be. They do not cancel it for any weather.....I've run this thing in a flat out thunder storm that went hard and heavy the entire time.....in two foot of snow.....in 6 inches of mud and slop and in perfect conditions. Those of us that ran the thunderstorm year still wear it like a badge of honor. It was insane.

I just don't put the miles in nor do I diversify my runs with a variety of trails like I used to. Just a simple routine these days so I really don't do any of the apps or cool things like you guys do.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3264 on: January 22, 2024, 04:40:40 PM »

I am not. My running is pretty boring. I do the same 5 mile run a couple times a week and then will sign up for this race in the spring and there is a fall half marathon I really like that I sign up for and do that one. That way....I have half marathon runs kind of 'book end' my year.....and keep me semi-motivated to stay in shape.  :lol   My body is kind of 'used' to the half marathon distance and I know what to expect so I don't even train all that hard for them these days...I won't run over that 5 mile distance I'm accustomed to at any point other than the two times a year I run those halves.

And yes....this race is actually pretty popular in the trail running community and people come from a lot of different places to run it simply due to how challenging it can be. They do not cancel it for any weather.....I've run this thing in a flat out thunder storm that went hard and heavy the entire time.....in two foot of snow.....in 6 inches of mud and slop and in perfect conditions. Those of us that ran the thunderstorm year still wear it like a badge of honor. It was insane.

I just don't put the miles in nor do I diversify my runs with a variety of trails like I used to. Just a simple routine these days so I really don't do any of the apps or cool things like you guys do.

Fair enough mate, whatever routine works to keep you running, that's the main thing.  I remember you posting this race last time though with you results.  Looking forward to that again.  Funny, I am the complete opposite in my training.  Run most days but never signed up for an actual race.  For some reason it just doesn't really interest me.

I am still toying with the idea of an ultra though.  Seems a bit far away going those sorts of distances though.  Maybe a shorter one like this might be a better starting point.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3265 on: April 21, 2024, 11:34:32 AM »
And done. My only goal today was not to resort to walking and I ran the whole thing at easy pace. No post on Strava as GPS doesn't quite work in the center of Moscow (it shows I ran 7,9km). :lol

Aimed for 6:06/km and just kept it for the whole distance and honestly I'm pretty happy with this. I had a blast during the run, much more fun than two weeks ago.

Official result:

2:08:36

Next year I'll probably try for that under 2 hours goal.

Bumping the thread, eight days until the Moscow Half-Marathon. Feeling great, in fact I think I'm pretty well prepared at this point. Trained through the whole winter and kept at it as the spring rolled in, I think sub-2 hours is in the bag at this point for sure unless something drastic happens. Could've done more speedwork but opted for more miles per week instead. Last three weeks were 65km, 70km and 75km total. Ran a 15k in 1:20:36 a month ago as a trial. Aiming at somewhere below 1:55.

I know no one probably cares but I'll still post an update when I'm done with the race. :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #3266 on: April 21, 2024, 12:02:29 PM »
That's explains the big mileage you've been putting up.  I was wondering why you were doing 30km runs.

Good luck in the event!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3267 on: April 21, 2024, 12:32:17 PM »
That’s fantastic Ruslan. Good luck!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3268 on: April 21, 2024, 12:40:06 PM »
That's explains the big mileage you've been putting up.  I was wondering why you were doing 30km runs.

30km was perhaps a bit of an overkill but I wanted to drive the mental point home with those 24, 27 and 30km runs. I think I'm good mentally now but we'll see how it goes at the actual race.

Good luck in the event!

That’s fantastic Ruslan. Good luck!

No promises but I'm gonna try and kill it you guys.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3269 on: April 21, 2024, 02:56:50 PM »
You're consistency has been top notch mate.  No question you'll smash it.

Speedwork is something I need to do more of, but I don't love it and trying to turn the legs over at quicker paces when you're doing a lot of mileage is tricky.

Are you training all the way up or are you tapering the miles down a few days out?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3270 on: April 21, 2024, 06:16:40 PM »
While we've bumped the thread, I've been faily consistent with the running.  back up to around 70-80kms last week after some persistent back issues.  Strength work in the gym is slowly starting to get back to also.  I twinged my back a few weeks ago doing squats and was at a point where I couldn't move freely without it spasming.  I couldn't get out of bed in the morning without it crippling me yet once I was up I was still running and doing what I can in the gym, so my own fault.  It's not 100% but getting there.

At the moment, I'm not really sure where my goals lie, I've just been working consistency and volume.  I think my next short term goal is to at least hit the marathon pace in a long run.  Not aim for time but need to start pushing back to some extra long runs.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3271 on: April 21, 2024, 08:00:13 PM »
I just got back into doing some light cardio, and some yoga and stretching the past few weeks.  Heading on a 2-week cruise in May, I didn't want to come home busting out of my clothes, and since we're going to be 8 days at sea for one stretch, I'll have plenty of disposable time to hit the ship's gym.  So, getting my mind and body back in some kind of routine, and my plan is to get back to lifting come June after we're back.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3272 on: April 21, 2024, 08:04:08 PM »
I just got back into doing some light cardio, and some yoga and stretching the past few weeks.  Heading on a 2-week cruise in May, I didn't want to come home busting out of my clothes, and since we're going to be 8 days at sea for one stretch, I'll have plenty of disposable time to hit the ship's gym.  So, getting my mind and body back in some kind of routine, and my plan is to get back to lifting come June after we're back.

Excellent!  :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3273 on: April 21, 2024, 08:58:04 PM »

Keep at it man :metal

At the moment, I'm not really sure where my goals lie, I've just been working consistency and volume.  I think my next short term goal is to at least hit the marathon pace in a long run.  Not aim for time but need to start pushing back to some extra long runs.

What's your marathon pace, like 5:00/km? Your easy pace seems to be 5:30-5:40ish so 30 seconds faster seems like a good guess.

Are you training all the way up or are you tapering the miles down a few days out?

Definitely tapering this week. It feels like I could use a week of rest. Last three weeks were grueling with five runs a week and the gym. Some days were basically "wake up - go to work - run after work - go to the gym - eat something and shower - fall asleep". :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3274 on: April 21, 2024, 09:11:22 PM »
That's what I can't get my head around.  You see articles about running at 'marathon pace,' but I still struggle to understand how they can run those marathon paces faster than threshold runs which are so much longer!  I guess it's all mental and I've never put myself in that environment to feel the challenge of running against others. 

My easy pace has definitely come down to around 5:30 I feel.  I mean, the 11km run yesterday I didn't mean to go as quick but ended at 4:54 pace and probably could have kept going a few more at a similar pace.  Honestly, if I can get a distance of 42km in sometime soon around 6 minute pace by the end of it, I think I'd be stoked.  I still can't comprehend how guy run marathons between 2.5-3 hours, that boggles the mind, but I'll keep hammering.

Definitely tapering this week. It feels like I could use a week of rest. Last three weeks were grueling with five runs a week and the gym. Some days were basically "wake up - go to work - run after work - go to the gym - eat something and shower - fall asleep". :lol

Yeah, I've was there for the longest time haha, definitely gets robotic.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3275 on: April 21, 2024, 10:03:19 PM »
Yeah if I ever do a marathon I'd be happy with 6:00/km pace too. You can definitely go faster than that from what I've seen.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3276 on: April 21, 2024, 10:19:21 PM »
Yeah if I ever do a marathon I'd be happy with 6:00/km pace too. You can definitely go faster than that from what I've seen.

I mean I probably could, but the thought of going faster over a 42km distance, that's a different story.  Four hours would be the goal, but that's around 5:40 pace.  We'll see.