Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 166600 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #980 on: July 26, 2021, 09:32:23 AM »
Got Skyward Sword HD for cheap (in trade for A Link's Awakening that I finished). Thus far the game seems charming. The camera controls are a bit uncomfortable for me though, both the pro controller and joycon options are not a good combo for my hands (due to the location of the L button on the Pro and the right stick on the joycon). I feel like a toggle option would be nice. I will keep using the pro controller I feel, I do like the sword controls with the stick.

And I ordered the US edition of The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (no EU physical). I want to support the series and am looking forward to checking it out.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #981 on: July 26, 2021, 04:02:06 PM »
As it turns out, I can only stream Dead Space 3.  Gave it a whirl.  Starts out pretty good.  Haven't played it enough yet to get a real good idea.  We'll see.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #982 on: July 27, 2021, 02:47:55 AM »
Flight Simulator on both Xbox consoles is looking great.

Apparently they did some big optimizations and the PC version will also run much better if the bottleneck was the CPU. An engine rewrite led to double FPS in early testing, according to the dev.

Looking forward to checking it out, the download is ready.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: July 27, 2021, 07:08:46 AM »
I need to give Flight Sim a go again, my system did fairly well with it. I stopped playing when they broke the computer pilot, I'd like to set a long haul flight and take over when it was slow at work for a few minutes.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #984 on: July 28, 2021, 07:27:48 AM »
I need to give Flight Sim a go again, my system did fairly well with it. I stopped playing when they broke the computer pilot, I'd like to set a long haul flight and take over when it was slow at work for a few minutes.

Series X is apparently fairly close to ultra settings on PC at 1440p/30 fps (or variable framerate on compatible tv's). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kre-ahGJc_g

Looks great on my tv, I am impressed at how well they managed to optimize it, considering how it ran at release on pc last year. Unfortunately the servers had many issues, so I had to quit because the experience was bad.

But damn, this game has a whole lotta huge downloads. Base game, offline package, day one update, map updates. I downloaded like 150 gb or more since monday.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: July 31, 2021, 03:47:01 PM »
Funny moment, I hop in a game of Mordhau for the first time in months and see someone named "AnalProlapseGaming" make a comment and Chino responds, check my friends list and sure enough Chino was playing :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #986 on: July 31, 2021, 04:08:45 PM »
Funny moment, I hop in a game of Mordhau for the first time in months and see someone named "AnalProlapseGaming" make a comment and Chino responds, check my friends list and sure enough Chino was playing :lol
Is the comment section still as toxic?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #987 on: July 31, 2021, 05:20:12 PM »
incredibly so, I actually find them to be funny but I can see how people find it offensive.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 06:47:43 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #988 on: August 01, 2021, 05:59:01 PM »
I finally beat Neir Automata after a few failed attempt at getting into the game. I didn't realize the game had to be replayed like 4 more times to get the best ending. I didn't enjoy the game enough to replay it so I just uninstalled it. And apparently I didn't care enough about the story because I still haven't looked up the different endings.

I replayed Dark Void. A fun little game I've years ago but I was very bored and thought it might be fun to replay it. Decent.

After finishing those two games, I've been in a video game void for the past few days. Now I am playing Knights of the Old Republic. I only beat this game once and that was way back on the original X-Box. It's a real shame the first game hasn't been updated like the sequel was. KOTOR 1 is still very playable and I haven't had any crashes...yet.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #989 on: August 01, 2021, 06:17:27 PM »
I finally beat Neir Automata after a few failed attempt at getting into the game. I didn't realize the game had to be replayed like 4 more times to get the best ending. I didn't enjoy the game enough to replay it so I just uninstalled it. And apparently I didn't care enough about the story because I still haven't looked up the different endings.

I replayed Dark Void. A fun little game I've years ago but I was very bored and thought it might be fun to replay it. Decent.

After finishing those two games, I've been in a video game void for the past few days. Now I am playing Knights of the Old Republic. I only beat this game once and that was way back on the original X-Box. It's a real shame the first game hasn't been updated like the sequel was. KOTOR 1 is still very playable and I haven't had any crashes...yet.
There are rumors of a KotOR remaster coming down the pipeline, similar to the Mass Effect Remaster.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #990 on: August 01, 2021, 06:58:52 PM »
Even though I just did a replay of KOTOR 1, I sure as hell would play a remaster of it.

In other news, I stopped playing Skyward Sword HD. Really not for me and I am very happy they went in the BotW direction with the series.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #991 on: August 01, 2021, 07:40:33 PM »

There are rumors of a KotOR remaster coming down the pipeline, similar to the Mass Effect Remaster.

Oh I thought it was going to be a full remake. Hmm...a remaster. I'd Buy That For A Dollar  :metal

Edit: It looks like it will indeed be a full-on remake with a more action-oriented combat system and story changes to fit Disney's Canon.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 11:33:09 AM by Herrick »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: August 01, 2021, 08:33:37 PM »
In other news, I stopped playing Skyward Sword HD. Really not for me and I am very happy they went in the BotW direction with the series.

"The only winning move is not to play." Joshua, WarGames.

I played that game all the way through, but it got to be a chore. And while it was a few eyars ago, I can honestly not remember a thing about it.

Except Fi. And needing to beat the same boss like 5 times.

There are rumors of a KotOR remaster coming down the pipeline...

What, WHAT, WHAT?!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #993 on: August 02, 2021, 12:10:29 AM »

I am planning to play KOTOR II with restoration mods on pc, apparently that version of the game is excellent as well.

"The only winning move is not to play." Joshua, WarGames.

I played that game all the way through, but it got to be a chore. And while it was a few eyars ago, I can honestly not remember a thing about it.

Except Fi. And needing to beat the same boss like 5 times.

There are rumors of a KotOR remaster coming down the pipeline...

What, WHAT, WHAT?!

They did alter/take out a lot of the chore stuff. Fi dialouge is mostly optional, as are a lot of tutorials and NPC interactions. The text speed is increased a lot as well. I looked at a comparison vid and the original version would be unbearable for me.

It is the reason why I will give it a chance. But I quit the Twilight Princess on the Wii after two hours, because the handholding and overall pacing was just so slow. So let's see where this one lands.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #994 on: August 02, 2021, 01:35:21 AM »
On the subject of Zelda, after about 3 false starts where I failed to get into the game, I finally got into Breath of the Wild. Been playing that most of last week.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #995 on: August 02, 2021, 09:50:08 AM »
I have an interesting relationship with Zelda. As a kid, I absolutely worshipped the franchise. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask will always hold a special place in my heart. However, since graduating college, I just haven't been able to get into them. I tried Link's Awakening (Remake), Skyward Sword, etc. and it just wasn't happening. I think that I personally just enjoy more story-driven games these days. Not saying that Zelda games don't have stories, but compared to, say, Red Dead Redemption 2, there's a different approach.

I will also say that I've always found it weird how almost every Zelda game is an absolute critical darling. Skyward Sword is maybe the best example. That game got perfect scores across the board, but its reputation these days is more mixed, at least within the context of the franchise.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: August 02, 2021, 09:58:40 AM »
The girl I've been dating enjoys video games so when she's been coming over we've been playing Mario Party 2 on my N64.  Last week, she bought Mario Party for her switch and brought it over.  I've had no experience with a switch, but it was pretty pleasant overall.  Kind of weird to play on that small controller, but it worked well. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #997 on: August 02, 2021, 07:57:21 PM »
Once that new Mario Party game comes out, it's going to be like old school times. Especially online.

I tried Mario Golf and it was pretty cool online.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #998 on: August 04, 2021, 04:35:50 PM »
Started another free download called Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition.  Wow, can't believe I missed this one.  Would've actually been worth paying full price for it.  Gotta love these types of discoveries.  :)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #999 on: August 13, 2021, 07:03:03 AM »
I know it's only beta, but Back4Blood is a massive pile of shit right now.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1000 on: August 13, 2021, 08:09:10 PM »
I have replayed Jedi: Fallen Order. The map wasn't as bad for me this time around but the backtracking is still kind of brutal. At the very least there should be a way to fast travel back to the ship. The lack of fast travel really kills exploration to the point where I can't even be bothered to use a guide to find everything because it's still annoying. And most of the stuff I found was uglyass ponchos. Why are they so damn ugly?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: August 13, 2021, 08:36:12 PM »
I think it's hilarious that COD finally announced a hint of an anti-cheat while all their biggest streamers left to play Apex Legends.  Oh, and Battlefield and Halo games coming out this fall  :lol Battlefield is looking really strong, my friend got access to the test this weekend and is loving it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1002 on: August 13, 2021, 08:51:58 PM »
For anybody that liked jet set radio, here goes a spiritual successor: Bomb rush cyberfunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrQ-Xc_uEUc

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1003 on: August 13, 2021, 09:19:19 PM »
For anybody that liked jet set radio, here goes a spiritual successor: Bomb rush cyberfunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrQ-Xc_uEUc

That's cool. I liked Jet Set Radio & Jet Set Radio Future but I never got very far.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1004 on: August 17, 2021, 12:59:19 PM »
Ok, am really lovin' Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition.  Decided to take a break from that and download the free upgrade of Destiny 2 for PS5.  Now, I'm hooked on that for a while but will be returning to Darksiders for sure.  Too many games, not enough hours in the day.  I need to fix that and retire.   :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1005 on: August 18, 2021, 07:15:30 AM »
Looking forward to Judgment sequel (Yakuza spin off with the classic beat m up gameplay) and Psychonauts 2.

But I am now playing Ace Attorney trilogy (second game, second case) and want play The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles afterwards.

Ok, am really lovin' Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition.  Decided to take a break from that and download the free upgrade of Destiny 2 for PS5.  Now, I'm hooked on that for a while but will be returning to Darksiders for sure.  Too many games, not enough hours in the day.  I need to fix that and retire.   :lol

Sounds interesting.The first one was a nice combo between classic 3d Zelda and pre-2018 God of War.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1006 on: August 18, 2021, 10:23:35 AM »
I definitely plan on going back and playing the original Darksiders.  It's not free but I'll gladly pay $19.99 to download it from the PS store.  :tup

Oops!!  I lied.  It's included with PS Plus.  Free download!!  :2metal:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:32:54 AM by Dublagent66 »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1007 on: August 18, 2021, 06:16:10 PM »
I definitely plan on going back and playing the original Darksiders.  It's not free but I'll gladly pay $19.99 to download it from the PS store.  :tup

I tried getting into Darksiders a few times but I never stuck with it. Perhaps I should try it on medium difficulty. Hard difficulty reminded me of the last God of War game where bottom-tier enemies were bullet sponges. I hate that shit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: August 18, 2021, 06:20:03 PM »
Thinking when I get back home later this week, instead of playing COD, I am going to fire Apex Legends back up.  After seeing many clips of hackers on twitter yesterday in COD, I just don't think I can take the frustration of playing the game right now.  I just need something to hold me over until Battlefield or when COD Vanguard comes out (it will have anti-cheat they say).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1009 on: August 19, 2021, 03:26:17 AM »
Pokemon Arceus could be a nice game. It looks absolutely terrible visually (one of the biggest gamefranchises of all time has no business looking like this, even on low spec consoles). But at least the game takes advantage of it being a full open 3d game in terms of gameplay.

But honestly, upon reflecting on it I regard Sword a 5/10 or even 4/10 game, it had some nice moments initially, but large chunks of that game were straight up bad and the game was ridiculously simple. So I will keep my expectations low.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1010 on: August 19, 2021, 09:59:08 AM »

I tried getting into Darksiders a few times but I never stuck with it. Perhaps I should try it on medium difficulty. Hard difficulty reminded me of the last God of War game where bottom-tier enemies were bullet sponges. I hate that shit.

I usually start on easy or normal difficulty just to get a feel for the game.  A lot of times that makes the game more enjoyable.  Then, if you really like the game, harder difficulties are always there to make it more challenging.  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1011 on: August 19, 2021, 11:27:32 AM »
Not sure how important this is, but this seemed the appropriate place to sure.

My kid started community college today, with a Game Development course.  Since the course is apparently sponsored (or something) by hometown company Epic Games, my kid is downloading Unreal Engine as we speak.

I'm going to be in a game lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1012 on: August 19, 2021, 11:37:02 AM »
I can't wait to see your likeness as Bowser.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: August 19, 2021, 11:58:07 AM »
Not sure how important this is, but this seemed the appropriate place to sure.

My kid started community college today, with a Game Development course.  Since the course is apparently sponsored (or something) by hometown company Epic Games, my kid is downloading Unreal Engine as we speak.
I'm going to be in a game lol

That's awesome. Out of curiosity what version of unreal are they working with?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1014 on: August 23, 2021, 04:13:44 AM »
Played some "boomer shooters" on my Xbox and Switch, namely Quake and Duke Nukem.

Quake (Xbox) works surprisingly well with a controller on normal. I turned off auto aim and upped sensitivity and am doing fairly well with some saves here and there. Duke Nukem sometimes feels nigh impossible, however, using the standard settings. Auto aim makes it more like classic doom (where the auto aim is vertical, so horizontally you still need to line up your shot), that feels good to play. But still, that game is super hard. Thankfully it has a nifty rewind feature that makes it accessible.

The Doom (and Quake) ports on consoles also have free add ons, some of which were official releases and some of which old school fan made campaigns. And for the Doom ports they have been adding more of these over time. Overall these Bethesda ports are great and at a fair pricepoint. This is how you should treat your classic games.