Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147971 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread
« Reply #2940 on: April 29, 2022, 08:06:29 AM »
Michael Schenker did a Rainbow tribute song with Michael Kiske singing and the Rainbow rising rhythm section of Bob Daisley and Bob Rondinelli. I haven't checked out as much MSG lately but may need to check this upcoming album out...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tW4UqC16nvM

Thank you Deathless. Oh shit!!

I cannot wait to get home and hear this!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2941 on: April 29, 2022, 09:12:20 AM »
I’m a little apprehensive about listening. This is a dream collaboration for me.

EDIT: Listened to the song a couple of times. With the subject matter, I guess I was expecting something a bit more...epic.
This is pretty much a straight ahead traditional track. I like the song much better than the first song released. Great to hear Kiske and Schenker on one song together. My ears are quite happy.
Schenker's tone is exquisite.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 03:01:01 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2942 on: April 29, 2022, 03:12:55 PM »
Hmmmm.....Kiske makes an average song a pretty decent song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2943 on: April 29, 2022, 03:20:39 PM »

Everything is better with Kiske! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2944 on: April 29, 2022, 03:26:35 PM »

It's funny, Kiske has been a grower for so many years.  As you know the Andi era Helloween was where it was at for me and early on, (maybe around the Dark Ride, 2000) discovering Helloween, I couldn't take to Kiske's vocals at all.  Funny now I agree that he is easily one of the greatest singers of all time with the greatest voice.  Funny how time changes your opinions and thoughts.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2945 on: April 29, 2022, 03:27:22 PM »

It's funny, Kiske has been a grower for so many years.  As you know the Andi era Helloween was where it was at for me and early on, (maybe around the Dark Ride, 2000) discovering Helloween, I couldn't take to Kiske's vocals at all.  Funny now I agree that he is easily one of the greatest singers of all time with the greatest voice.  Funny how time changes your opinions and thoughts.

And for me, I'm the opposite. I love Andi Deris now!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2946 on: April 29, 2022, 03:44:35 PM »

And for me, I'm the opposite. I love Andi Deris now!

Ha, yeah true!!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2947 on: April 29, 2022, 03:49:51 PM »
Definitely. Helloween moved into my Top 5 bands because of Deris.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2948 on: April 29, 2022, 04:03:00 PM »
Definitely. Helloween moved into my Top 5 bands because of Deris.

WOW!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2949 on: April 29, 2022, 07:10:09 PM »
I’m a little apprehensive about listening. This is a dream collaboration for me.

EDIT: Listened to the song a couple of times. With the subject matter, I guess I was expecting something a bit more...epic.
This is pretty much a straight ahead traditional track. I like the song much better than the first song released. Great to hear Kiske and Schenker on one song together. My ears are quite happy.
Schenker's tone is exquisite.

That was a nice listen indeed. Somehow it was reminiscent of early MSG, with that “exquisite tone”.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2950 on: April 30, 2022, 12:02:44 PM »
Well, that was underwhelming. I was expecting something more epic. And I’ve never liked Kiske’s vibrato. There, I said it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2951 on: April 30, 2022, 05:21:35 PM »
Well, that was underwhelming. I was expecting something more epic. And I’ve never liked Kiske’s vibrato. There, I said it.

His vibrato was one thing early on that troubled me and made it hard to warm to him.  I don't have an issue with it at all now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2952 on: April 30, 2022, 05:58:58 PM »
I don't love when he uses it. He hasn't used it in years, and I was bummed it returned in this song. I enjoy the track though. I did have high hopes for it, but... It's still really nice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2953 on: April 30, 2022, 07:24:27 PM »
I don't love when he uses it. He hasn't used it in years, and I was bummed it returned in this song. I enjoy the track though. I did have high hopes for it, but... It's still really nice.

Really?  Maybe I just enjoy his voice so much now I don't really notice.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2954 on: April 30, 2022, 07:30:26 PM »

You can hear it on the first Kiske Somerville album, and even on the first Unisonic album. Thankfully it's not their on Light Of Dawn. It's not there on the latest Helloween album either. It was something he was using in the 00's.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2955 on: April 30, 2022, 08:14:38 PM »

You can hear it on the first Kiske Somerville album, and even on the first Unisonic album. Thankfully it's not their on Light Of Dawn. It's not there on the latest Helloween album either. It was something he was using in the 00's.

Hmmm...interesting, yeah can't say I've really noticed.  I really like that Kiske Somerville album.  Decent melodic rock.  Even the second one was damn good IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2956 on: April 30, 2022, 08:17:53 PM »
I enjoyed the first one....but I don't think I gave the second one a chance. He has made some sketchy music while he was "out of metal" but his voice has always been wonderful.

Kind of like Schenker. He's made loads of sketchy music, but for my ears, I just love hearing him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2957 on: April 30, 2022, 08:20:20 PM »
I enjoyed the first one....but I don't think I gave the second one a chance. He has made some sketchy music while he was "out of metal" but his voice has always been wonderful.

Kind of like Schenker. He's made loads of sketchy music, but for my ears, I just love hearing him.

The first one felt more organic and real......if that makes sense.  The second one was kind of during the transition phase where Frontiers were churning out more and more albums just because.  So it's kind of where Magnus just started writing to fulfill a contract.  You can hear that and was the first album of his I started to raise my eyebrows.....but....it's a still a nice listen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2958 on: May 02, 2022, 07:49:54 PM »
Videos are starting to get posted from MSG's European tour.

There's some footage from Helsinki, and here's the full Norway show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpmFXIYajgc

Notable is that Robin McAuley is doing this leg of the tour, and NOT Ronnie Romero.
Thankyouverymuch. Robin is amazing.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #2959 on: May 03, 2022, 03:14:47 AM »
^ That he is! Some set of pipes for a 69-year old!

I was at that Helsinki show. Pretty damn spectacular. They didn't play any songs from the McAuley Schenker albums, oddly enough. Although the all-UFO encore was enjoyable as such, I wouldn't have minded them throwing in a less obvious classic. Love To Love in particular would've been awesome.

Michael played great and sounded fantastic, touring with his own Marshall JCM800's and all. Such a treat to finally see him live!  :metal
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2960 on: May 03, 2022, 08:17:46 AM »
Videos are starting to get posted from MSG's European tour.

There's some footage from Helsinki, and here's the full Norway show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpmFXIYajgc

Notable is that Robin McAuley is doing this leg of the tour, and NOT Ronnie Romero.
Thankyouverymuch. Robin is amazing.

I've REALLY come around on Robin McAuley.   I literally stopped listening to MSG when Gary left the second time and to this day don't own any of the McAuley Schenker albums.   But this "Fest", listening to all the singers together, and seeing them live, I realize that it was the material not the singer.  I'm burned out on Ronnie Romero, frankly (and as a Blackmore fanboy, I thought he was only okay on those latter day Rainbow records) and would much rather hear Robin singing that material.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2961 on: May 03, 2022, 04:00:24 PM »
I am praying that Robin does the US tour, but I don't think he is.

I know you love Barden,. and I hear you..MSG and One Night At Budokan were landmark albums for me.

And the first McCauley Schenker album, Perfect Timing, was really disappointing. It's aged pretty well though. Now I just enjoy it for what it is, and not what I hoped it would be. Save Yourself is a lot heaver.

I think Barden is awful now though. Even In The Midst Of Beauty kind of blew. His songs and performances are easily the worst on the two Fest albums.

But he seems like a great guy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2962 on: May 03, 2022, 07:32:10 PM »
Barden sucks, don't like him at all.

I have ITMOB on CD that I found back instore when this thread was underway, it's still in the wrapping.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2963 on: May 03, 2022, 07:35:10 PM »

I have ITMOB on CD that I found back instore when this thread was underway, it's still in the wrapping.  :lol

I'd return it. :lol

The thing is, the second MSG album, with Barden, is a Top 5 album of all time for me. And while I never thought he was great, his voice is perfect for THAT album.

When I heard he was making an album with Schenker (ITMOB), I was psyched. But holy shit does it suck. And it's not even because of Barden. The album just blows all the way around.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2964 on: May 03, 2022, 07:39:14 PM »

I'd return it. :lol

The thing is, the second MSG album, with Barden, is a Top 5 album of all time for me. And while I never thought he was great, his voice is perfect for THAT album.

When I heard he was making an album with Schenker (ITMOB), I was psyched. But holy shit does it suck. And it's not even because of Barden. The album just blows all the way around.

The receipt is long gone.  :lol

I might unwrap it and post some impressions later in the week or on the weekend.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2965 on: May 03, 2022, 07:48:25 PM »
I might unwrap it and post some impressions later in the week or on the weekend.

Oh please do!  :metal :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2966 on: May 03, 2022, 07:50:39 PM »

Oh please do!  :metal :lol

Okay.  Probably not til Saturday but I'll have a listen.  Im sure I checked a song or two when you featured it but can't remember.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2967 on: May 03, 2022, 10:09:08 PM »
For what it's worth, I actually really like In The Midst Of Beauty. It's one of the many albums I bought as a result of this thread.

I also really like the acoustic album, Gipsy Lady, that the 2 of them did.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I still can't stand Robin. At all.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2968 on: May 04, 2022, 05:42:47 AM »
The thing is, the second MSG album, with Barden, is a Top 5 album of all time for me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I still can't stand Robin. At all.

This is why he is the Professor. :clap:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2969 on: May 04, 2022, 07:18:31 AM »
Do you have anything positive to say?? WTF?
Seriously, I took your advice in the golf thread when I was being a dick...maybe you should do the same.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2970 on: May 04, 2022, 08:09:21 AM »
I am praying that Robin does the US tour, but I don't think he is.

I know you love Barden,. and I hear you..MSG and One Night At Budokan were landmark albums for me.

And the first McCauley Schenker album, Perfect Timing, was really disappointing. It's aged pretty well though. Now I just enjoy it for what it is, and not what I hoped it would be. Save Yourself is a lot heaver.

I think Barden is awful now though. Even In The Midst Of Beauty kind of blew. His songs and performances are easily the worst on the two Fest albums.

But he seems like a great guy.

He shot the shit with me for about 15 minutes on the sidewalk outside Irving Plaza after the first Fest show there.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2971 on: May 04, 2022, 02:25:37 PM »
Do you have anything positive to say?? WTF?
Seriously, I took your advice in the golf thread when I was being a dick...maybe you should do the same.

Yes, yes I do. Michael Schenker is one of the greatest guitarist of all time...IMO. He has created lead guitar work that no matter how many times I hear it, it sends chills down my spine. The vast majority of his discography is wonderful.

I find it funny that you think a few of my negative comments about singers he had equates to me being a dick. Would it be better if I just used a TACism and said, "It blows" or "That sucks"?  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2972 on: May 07, 2022, 05:43:29 AM »
In the Midst of Beauty.  :lol

What an atrocious album.  Halfway through I almost turned it off.  No Schenker magic can save this steaming pile of shit.  Although, the five song run from Wings of Emotion to I Am the One was a bit better, there were some cool moments in there. These were palatable, but what's the fucking point when you're buried in shit?!  But then after those songs it finishes with Ride on My Way. WTF is this?  :rollin

I had to laugh at the first song City Lights.  Did Schenker sit down with Gary and say, "Hey Gary, remember On and On, that was a great song.  Let's rip that song off yet water it down, take all the balls, crunch and sense of melody out of it, see what's left and we'll use it as the opener.  I'll play the same solos at least to make it sound passable.  Oh, and when you sing the chorus, do it as soon as you wake up from a 12 hour sleep."

Seriously, I can't fucking stand Barden.  What a boring, plain, generic, stale fucking vocalist he is.  The dude wouldn't know personality if it bit him on the dick.

Competition, what the fucking fuck kind of Hillary Duff kind of shit is this?  The fuck is that chorus, seriously?!  I think I'll stop now.  What a waste of $25 this CD was.  I wish I never unwrapped it.  Maybe I'm just being harsh.......nah, I don't have time for this shit, Schenker is better than this, Barden though, is not.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2973 on: May 07, 2022, 05:44:44 AM »
He shot the shit with me for about 15 minutes on the sidewalk outside Irving Plaza after the first Fest show there.

You were kind to give him 15 minutes of your time Bill.  I hope he appreciated it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2974 on: May 07, 2022, 10:06:40 AM »
I do believe that Barden has reached the same level of reverence with Kade as Del Vecchio and Issa. Rarefied air up (down?) there.  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history