Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142655 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread
« Reply #3010 on: May 23, 2022, 05:06:13 PM »
Solved my early Waysted problem. I already had the Vices remaster. I found a release on Discogs that has The Good, The Bad, The Waysted and the Waysted EP plus Ball and Chain all in one set.

Listed in Near Mint condition for $20. I doubt I will ever come across a deal like that again so I snapped it up.

:metal

That's what I have. Some of my favorite music of my life.

TGTBTW has Paul Chapman and Jerry Shirley on drums.

The Waysted EP was thrown together quickly because they were about to open for Iron Maiden, and wanted some new material to promote. It has UFO's Andy Parker on drums, but it has Neil Sheppard on guitar. However, it was Paul Chapman who did the Maiden tour.

The Won't Get Out Alive live CD was recorded on that Maiden tour. If you can get a good deal on that, it's pretty cool. It's basically UFO (Way/Chapman/Parker) but with Fin on vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3011 on: May 23, 2022, 05:07:53 PM »
Chapman only plays on Wilderness Of Mirrors. In fact, he was behind its release when it came out. It’s basically the Save Your Prayers album. It’s better than demo quality. I bought it on CD because Save Your Prayers was not available for the longest time.

The reformed Waysted albums have Robin George, who was brought in at the last minute. I believe the erased Paul’s original tracks on the reunion album.

I remember he was quite pissed and had even posted HIS versions of some of the tracks on his website.

Hmmm.......not sure I'd fork money for this one then.  I've never really been big on demos.

Wilderness Of Mirrors is excellent. The quality is better then a demo. But it's not worth buying this package just to get it. If you can get a good deal on its own, that'd be a good pickup.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3012 on: May 23, 2022, 05:28:31 PM »
I'll have a squizz around then.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3013 on: May 23, 2022, 06:07:45 PM »
Well, if you have Save Your Prayers, then you should be all set. Wilderness Of Mirrors is definitely less produced though. I'd sample something off of youtube to decide if it's really a necessary purchase.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3014 on: May 23, 2022, 06:14:03 PM »
Well, if you have Save Your Prayers, then you should be all set. Wilderness Of Mirrors is definitely less produced though. I'd sample something off of youtube to decide if it's really a necessary purchase.

Yeah, I have SYP on CD, more just interested in different takes since it's such a good album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3015 on: May 23, 2022, 06:44:19 PM »
Cool! I think my 10% cut is still in order! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3016 on: May 23, 2022, 07:16:01 PM »

:lol

You'll get that from the rest of them too......one day.  ;D

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3017 on: May 23, 2022, 07:39:45 PM »

You'll get that from the rest of them too......one day.  ;D

No joke, when I bought that Waysted disc last night I was thinking 'here's more $$$ for TAC'.  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3018 on: May 23, 2022, 07:40:40 PM »
Ka-ching!! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3019 on: May 23, 2022, 09:03:20 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3020 on: May 27, 2022, 08:51:44 PM »
So...I just had my first listen to Universal.

This is easily his worst album since the first Temple Of Rock album.

I don't even know where to start.

First off... We know how Michael does it. He bangs out 10 songs, hands them off to Michael Voss to write the vocal melodies and lyrics, and then they record them. There doesn't seem to be a lot of vetting of the material. He's been almost an album a year for the last dozen years or so. So...it's always a question of quality of quantity. 2012-2022 has been the 2nd best 10 year grouping of his career, with '73-'83 being the first.

But I gotta be honest. This album kind of blows. It is NOT TAComendeded.

I think the relationship with Michael Voss has ran it's course. Most of the basic tracks here are pretty decent foundations to work with, but Voss really does Schenker no favors. There's no one to add to his ideas. At least in UFO, you had Pete Way and Paul Raymond to chime in. Here, there's simply nothing added to the basic tracks, and it doesn't feel like Schenker is all that interested to revisit the main ideas once he hands them off.

I don't know who's idea it was to get Ronnie Romero, but he has officially jumped the shark with this album. He fucking sucks on this. He kind of pissed me off. He adds nothing. No personality. This album would've ten times better with Doogie White. Or Robin McCauley. Or fucking hell, even Gary Barden. In fact, Barden splits a song with Romero, and he sounds pretty decent.

Ralf Sheepers sings a track here, and all I remember is that it has a great solo.

I love Michael Schenker. I love his playing, I love his tone. But he has a catalog full of mediocre albums. I said this in the thread. I wish he had more...I don't know..more Yngwie in him. He's a guitar hero that doesn't seem to want to stand out. He plays what makes him happy, and I get that, but I really wish he'd challenge himself, or decide to work with people that challenge him, because Michael Voss is no longer doing the job.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #3021 on: May 27, 2022, 09:04:58 PM »
So not even Kiske can save the album? That’s disappointing. Too bad he doesn’t appear on more than one song. I’ll try to give Universal a listen this weekend.

I know what you mean about Schenker being a guitar hero who doesn’t want to stand out. I wish he’d be more self-indulgent and do some extended shredding. It’s fine to let your playing take a back seat to the song, but that only works if the songs are actually any good.  :laugh:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3022 on: May 27, 2022, 09:11:00 PM »
The thing is, he simply does a rough draft and hands it off.

I think a better singer could save the album for sure. The Kiske song is one of the better ones. Actually has a nice melody to it.

But Romero is useless here.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3023 on: May 28, 2022, 07:11:14 AM »
So...I just had my first listen to Universal.

This is easily his worst album since the first Temple Of Rock album.

Unfortunately it's my impression too, after a few listenings. It seems to me that the album lacks of more remarkable Michael's guitar riffs. But I think that Emergency, A King Has Gone, Wrecking Ball and Au Revoir are really good. Interesting that I also liked the bonus tracks, Turn Off the World and Fighter, reminding me the McAuley Schenker era. Well, liking 6 songs out of 12 (I'm not counting Calling Baal, it seems like just an intro to A King Has Gone) is not so bad, but it could be better, no doubt.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3024 on: May 28, 2022, 07:54:57 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Ronnie Romero.  As much as I want more electric Blackmore, and would love to see Rainbow one last time (well, for me, the first time), I'm not aching to see Romero in front of it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3025 on: May 28, 2022, 08:00:43 AM »
I thought Ronnie made a great first impression on the live Rainbow stuff. He proved he could be quite versatile. But he doesn't have that lasting quality. How could he, jumping from project to project.

Whatever talent he does have though, it is NOT being utilized on this album. Just sounds like a rougher Michael Voss.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3026 on: May 28, 2022, 01:00:05 PM »
My Waysted disc showed up and the thing looks unplayed. Can't believe I found that when I did. Discogs has really come through on some rare items for me.

I will avoid the MSG album.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3027 on: May 28, 2022, 03:54:53 PM »
That's a shame to hear about the Schenker album Tim.  I'll listen, but doubt I'll purchase it, the last one only got one spin.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3028 on: May 28, 2022, 04:04:42 PM »
So, I just had my second listen to it. It was a better experience, but my first impressions still stand.

I just wish he'd accent his guitar playing more. Do something like double the measures for the solo and write some of those timeless outros.

There's a number of tracks that played much better the second time around. Yesterday was a travel day, so I was already in a foul mood. lol

His soloing is actually pretty good across much of the album. But of the 12 tracks, I think I might like about half of the tracks. But I owe this way more listens.

While I was listening to this, you know who I thought of that I'd love him to make and WRITE an album with....Udo!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3029 on: May 29, 2022, 03:28:52 AM »
So, I just had my second listen to it. It was a better experience, but my first impressions still stand.

I just wish he'd accent his guitar playing more. Do something like double the measures for the solo and write some of those timeless outros.

There's a number of tracks that played much better the second time around. Yesterday was a travel day, so I was already in a foul mood. lol

His soloing is actually pretty good across much of the album. But of the 12 tracks, I think I might like about half of the tracks. But I owe this way more listens.

While I was listening to this, you know who I thought of that I'd love him to make and WRITE an album with....Udo!

Just posted in the other thread. I didn’t love any of the tracks released ahead of the album, but I’m enjoying this very much so far, and those tracks I had heard sounded better this time. I’m just about halfway through.

And Tim, there’s never enough Schenker soloing!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: May 29, 2022, 03:45:52 AM »
I love Michael Schenker. I love his playing, I love his tone. But he has a catalog full of mediocre albums. I said this in the thread. I wish he had more...I don't know..more Yngwie in him. He's a guitar hero that doesn't seem to want to stand out. He plays what makes him happy, and I get that, but I really wish he'd challenge himself, or decide to work with people that challenge him, because Michael Voss is no longer doing the job.

I want to come back to this statement.  I think Schenker from the limited time and the percentage of his work I've heard simply knows his limitations.  While he is incredible and has some of the finest touches I've heard in some of his work, he's simply not at that technical Yngwie level.  Even though he is quite egotistical as a person, that doesn't come across in his work all that much.  He always compliments the song.

There's been times also listening through though that I thought he could go on with things a little more in songs but yeah, he seems pretty safe.  I agree he doesn't challenge himself quite as much as maybe he could, but Tim, from a guitar playing point of view, he's not at the level of the Malmsteens, Vais, Moores, Macalpines.  He has the touch, feel and tone but technically he falls short of that top tier level. 

Saying that, there's been times I've heard him and thought, 'fuck, maybe he can shred it up.'  The solos on Pushed to the Limit push past his normal playing and the very metal solos in Freedom show that he could play slightly more aggressive but then again, maybe that is him pushing himself.  Something of the Night surprised me too with what seems to be going on in there too, but sometimes a lot of his technical stuff I think is all feel, especially when he solos outside the boxes.  I TOTALLY get what you mean, just not sure what else he has the ability to do.  I'd probably be able to make more of a judgement based on what's on offer on this album though after actually hearing it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3031 on: May 29, 2022, 01:09:54 PM »

I want to come back to this statement.  I think Schenker from the limited time and the percentage of his work I've heard simply knows his limitations.  While he is incredible and has some of the finest touches I've heard in some of his work, he's simply not at that technical Yngwie level.  Even though he is quite egotistical as a person, that doesn't come across in his work all that much.  He always compliments the song.

There's been times also listening through though that I thought he could go on with things a little more in songs but yeah, he seems pretty safe.  I agree he doesn't challenge himself quite as much as maybe he could, but Tim, from a guitar playing point of view, he's not at the level of the Malmsteens, Vais, Moores, Macalpines.  He has the touch, feel and tone but technically he falls short of that top tier level. 

Saying that, there's been times I've heard him and thought, 'fuck, maybe he can shred it up.'  The solos on Pushed to the Limit push past his normal playing and the very metal solos in Freedom show that he could play slightly more aggressive but then again, maybe that is him pushing himself.  Something of the Night surprised me too with what seems to be going on in there too, but sometimes a lot of his technical stuff I think is all feel, especially when he solos outside the boxes.  I TOTALLY get what you mean, just not sure what else he has the ability to do.  I'd probably be able to make more of a judgement based on what's on offer on this album though after actually hearing it.

That's all very interesting, but it's all pretty easily explained. He's pretty honest about the three stages of his life, where he had is music exploration in the first stage, his self development in the second stage, and he is now in his third stage ..celebration.

I think most of the next generation of guitar players all pretty much cite him as an influence.

But the dude is an enigma. The mid to late 80's through the 90's, he was totally fucked up.

He's not trying to hone his craft, to keep developing. There's no doubt in my mind that if he had wanted to, he'd be right up there with the guys you mentioned, bearing in mind that he came a generation earlier. But that's not his motivation. It is what it is. You literally never know what you're going to get from his albums. I simply appreciate that he's still making music, and I sure as hell don't love it all, but I can find some thing to like about it usually.

I think it has less to do with limitations than it has to do with the drive to keep improving. He seems to be quite comfortable though, and you can hear it in the new album. Too comfortable, actually.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3032 on: May 29, 2022, 03:19:31 PM »

That's all very interesting, but it's all pretty easily explained. He's pretty honest about the three stages of his life, where he had is music exploration in the first stage, his self development in the second stage, and he is now in his third stage ..celebration.

I think most of the next generation of guitar players all pretty much cite him as an influence.

But the dude is an enigma. The mid to late 80's through the 90's, he was totally fucked up.

He's not trying to hone his craft, to keep developing. There's no doubt in my mind that if he had wanted to, he'd be right up there with the guys you mentioned, bearing in mind that he came a generation earlier. But that's not his motivation. It is what it is. You literally never know what you're going to get from his albums. I simply appreciate that he's still making music, and I sure as hell don't love it all, but I can find some thing to like about it usually.

I think it has less to do with limitations than it has to do with the drive to keep improving. He seems to be quite comfortable though, and you can hear it in the new album. Too comfortable, actually.

You've nailed it here actually.  You're right, he didn't develop in that shredder era so his craft was already pretty much honed in.  True he could have taken himself to the next level but I guess he was already too far into his career.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #3033 on: May 29, 2022, 08:05:40 PM »
I gave Universal a listen today. i went in with low expectations, but found that the songs were pretty decent….until I hit Wrecking Ball. From that point on, I found that many of the songs were just meh.

I will definitely give it more listens and see if that changes my opinion.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3034 on: May 29, 2022, 08:19:38 PM »
I gave Universal a listen today. i went in with low expectations, but found that the songs were pretty decent….until I hit Wrecking Ball. From that point on, I found that many of the songs were just meh.

The second half is definitely worse. But I think Au Revoir is pretty decent. And Sad Is The Song should've been renamed Sad Is The Vocals. It would've been much better with Doogie.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3035 on: June 24, 2022, 07:44:22 PM »
Here is Michael's set from Hell Fest earlier this week (Sunday).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Vto7yRCRA

Short 50 minute set with a great setlist.

Into The Arena
Doctor Doctor
Looking For Love
Red Sky
Sail The Darkness
Lights Out
Armed And Ready
A King Has Gone
Rock Bottom  :metal

Romero is actually pretty good here. Great to see Looking For Love and Red Sky make the condensed setlist.

I am still loving this era of Schenker though. He looks great and really happy. And he's playing great. He is 67 after all.
And it's not so much the hat, but what's the deal with the glasses? :lol

UFO played there on Thursday, but that video is not up yet. I watched an audience shot of Doctor Doctor and Vinnie fucking killed it. Phil looked old and Neil Carter looker older.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 07:53:03 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3036 on: June 24, 2022, 07:57:36 PM »
He's had the glasses on the hat for ages now.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3037 on: June 24, 2022, 08:00:16 PM »

Oh I know. But we've been so focused on the hat, I thought it was time to question the glasses. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3038 on: June 24, 2022, 08:01:41 PM »

Oh I know. But we've been so focused on the hat, I thought it was time to question the glasses. :lol

I'm sure there's clips out there with 2 sets of glasses on that hat too.

Cool bass playing here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3039 on: June 24, 2022, 08:06:27 PM »
Yeah, the band is tight. And Bodo (the drummer) looks like he's playing at a keg party.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3040 on: June 25, 2022, 05:25:02 AM »
Yeah, the band is tight. And Bodo (the drummer) looks like he's playing at a keg party.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3041 on: June 27, 2022, 04:49:45 AM »
Okay, I've listened to the new album and holy fuck it's shit.  Did someone challenge Michael to try and create and album worse than In the Midst of Beauty?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3042 on: September 02, 2022, 03:11:02 PM »
WOW!

https://bravewords.com/news/ufo-singer-phil-mogg-suffers-heart-attack-october-tour-dates-cancelled

The thing is, those October dates were to be the final dates for the band, as Phil was officially retiring.
UFO may have played their final show...

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3043 on: September 02, 2022, 04:30:04 PM »
Sorry to read this.

I know how much this band means to you…. and that you had to be biting at the bit to hear any or all bootlegs from those shows.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3044 on: September 02, 2022, 04:33:04 PM »
Sorry to read this.

I know how much this band means to you…. and that you had to be biting at the bit to hear any or all bootlegs from those shows.

There hasn't been a ton from their summer run. I was literally just watching the footage from Barcelona two nights ago.

Still a drag that their set is mostly 70's stuff, but whatever. I'm glad he didn't kick the bucket. The guy is 74, and actually still sounds great. It's amazing.