Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 142806 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread Now Playing: The TAC Top 30
« Reply #2765 on: February 23, 2021, 07:38:59 AM »
Mad Axeman - I found the structure of this one weird and I never really took to it to be honest.  Always thought it was a little disjointed.  Not a big fan of the middle quiet section but the last minute and a half is amazing.

Save Yourself - I haven't gotten around to checking this album yet and just listened to this song for the first time.  Brilliant 80's hard rock.  This might be Michaels most technical and fastest work ever.  He has so much speed here, quite surprising.  Great groove, nice and heavy and doesn't let up.  Great tune.

Having listened to AOTMA for decades, it's hard to imagine it any other was, but the first time I heard it, it had a totally different feel than what I was expecting from its title.

Save Yourself rips. I wish he had more songs like this in his catalog. I really like Drilled To Kill because it has this kind of feel. The McAuley Schenker Group was really quite limp and overall very disappointing.

That's what she said.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2766 on: February 23, 2021, 02:42:20 PM »
So I've been doing a bit of digging and I found this. In 1985 Chris Glen and Robin McAuley formed a band with Phil Taylor, and for a while, Brian Robertson, though Brian didn't record with them.

I found this interesting because Chris was post MSG and Robin was pre MSG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-04fbAC9d4
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2767 on: February 23, 2021, 05:44:35 PM »
I love Brian Robertson.  Another Perfect Day and the Wild Horses records are solid.  (I'm not ignoring Thin Lizzy, I'm just more familiar with his work on those other two gigs.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:51:52 PM by Stadler »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2768 on: February 23, 2021, 05:45:55 PM »
Yeah, I love Another Perfect Day. It's funny how so many of these bands are intertwined.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2769 on: February 24, 2021, 06:50:56 PM »
UFO

8 Anyday   (No Place To Run)

Paul Chapman plays the bass in the intro. Phil is great in this first verse, even hitting a falsetto, something he never did.

Nice heavy chorus. Love the short lead break between verses.
I have always liked the lyrics. "Should be out having fun".
"Picked up my coat and I'm putting on my haayaat."

Phil also kills it in the second chorus. His "Anyday"s are really powerful. And it all leads into a great Paul Chapman solo to close out the song. This solo is cut way too short. It is fantastic!

7 Long Gone  (The Wild The Willing And The Innocent)

Long Gone is an amazing song with great imagery from Phil. Lots of cool musical elements, including the soft intro leading into the first verse.

The second half of the verse is really nice and I love what Paul is doing behind it. The main solo starts around 1:55 and it's pretty tasty and closes really classy leading into the intro verse again.

"Subtle rain kiss the streets that bleed like open wounds" WOW!

And finally the really interesting outro and Jon Sloman really shines again here.

Long Gong was played by the Laurence Archer version of UFO. They even rerecorded it. And it's been played live by Vinnie too.

30 History Of Flames
29 Stranger In Town
28 Call My Name/All Over You
27 Who's Fooling Who
26 Fool's Gold
25 On With The Action
24 Gone In The Night
23 Name Of Love
22 Lonely Heart
21 You Don't Fool Me
20 Back Into My Life
19 Let It Roll
18 Wreckless
17 Drink Too Much
16 Self Made Man
15 Out In The Street
14 The Wild One
13 Time On My Hands
12 Borderline
11 One More For The Rodeo
10 Dreaming
9 Doing It All For You
8 Anyday
7 Long Gone

Michael Schenker

8 At The End Of The Day   (Adventures Of The Imagination)

Probably a bit of a surprise here, but At The End Of The Day is one of the most pleasant pieces of music these ears have ever heard. So much Schenker goodness going on here.

Really well orchestrated with so many guitar lines going on at once. Michael introduces the main melody at :17 with a chiling tone. It is joined by an alternate line at :34 which is just beautiful. And then the lead guitar's interpretation at :42.

Again, I could Kadestamp the shit out of this. But that last line at 3:09 kills me every time. It's best to just let it wash over you.

7 Secondary Motion  (MSG)

This is a great lineup on this album. The intro to this song is spectacular. Very simply but damn it sounds so great.

The song goes to a pace in the verse that I don't normally love, but Cozy plays the shit out it.

This song has a fantastic chorus. Michael kicks it off with a little lick at :55.

And Gary is really good at the end of the chorus with the "Give me that chance" part with Michael in the background.

Michael doesn't exactly rip your face off but it's a cool solo with Cozy's double bass underneath.

And finally, the closing to this song is...incredible. It's the last remnant of this great album and it's glorious.

30 Bittersweet
29 Cry For The Nations
28 The Dogs Of War
27 Good Times
26 Land Of Thunder
25 Dance For The Piper
24 Samurai
23 Live And Let Live
22 Red Sky
21 Armed And Ready
20 Shine On
19 Under A Blood Red Sky
18 Get Out
17 Rock Will Never Die
16 Horizons
15 Rock You To The Ground
14 But I want More
13 Rock My Nights Away
12 In Search Of The Peace Of Mind
11 Assault Attack
10 Attack Of The Mad Axeman
9 Save Yourself
8 At The End Of The Day
7 Secondary Motion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2770 on: February 24, 2021, 07:24:16 PM »
My sealed copy of Seven deadly showed up today! More commission for TAC.

At some point I need to put some thoughts down about the favorite tracks I picked. Kinda haven't done that yet.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2771 on: February 24, 2021, 07:27:40 PM »
Wow, two more Chapman songs in the top 10.  Long Gone is wonderful.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2772 on: February 24, 2021, 07:29:20 PM »

There's one more to come!

My sealed copy of Seven deadly showed up today! More commission for TAC.

Kaching!

That's awesome!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2773 on: February 24, 2021, 07:37:12 PM »
No clue which one it could be.  Only one I'm thinking is POV.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2774 on: February 24, 2021, 07:39:56 PM »
I hate to break it to Stadler, but it's not Heel Of A Stranger.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2775 on: February 24, 2021, 07:45:41 PM »
I would hope not lol!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2776 on: February 24, 2021, 08:51:08 PM »
I'm heartbroken.   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2777 on: February 24, 2021, 10:10:27 PM »
I'm heartbroken.

Tim has put a scar on your heart that you can't cover up and hide.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2778 on: February 25, 2021, 05:42:25 AM »
 :lol

Nice!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2779 on: February 25, 2021, 09:13:01 AM »
I'm heartbroken.

Tim has put a scar on your heart that you can't cover up and hide.

Hahaha.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2780 on: February 25, 2021, 09:59:21 AM »

Yes it is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2781 on: February 26, 2021, 06:16:03 AM »
My CD copy of Immortal (with the Blu-ray) came today.   I've been giving it a few spins.  It's not as bad as I first thought, but it's still not as good as the couple that came before.   I'm not a fan of Ralf Scheepers; not that he sucks, but I'd rather listen to Rob Halford.   Joe Lynn Turner, who I generally love, is almost unrecognizable and not in a good way.   I had no idea that was him on "Don't Die On Me Now".

It bears repeating:  NO ONE does an outro like Michael Schenker.  I think he has more songs whose best moments are in the last 1:30 than any artist on the planet.

TAC, did you mention Kiss for, I think, "Come On Over"?  I hear Kiss in the start of "Knight Of The Dead"; sounds like it came right off Animalize to me.   Not to bag on singers all day, but KOTD is a good tune, but Romero just sounds so generic on it.   I like him in Rainbow a lot, but not here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2782 on: February 28, 2021, 03:23:34 AM »
Anyday - Moody, dark intro, I like it.  When it gets going, it has a great groove.  I love how quickly the solo comes into the song and then going back into that moody intro.  Nice heavy outro too and is kicked up a gear with another ripper Chapman solo.  I really like his playing.  The key change just before the fade is excellent.

Long Gone - This one gets better and better for me.  Excellent song, excellent chorus.

At the End of the Day - Listening to this one for the first time.  Nice melodic intro.  I really really like the melodies going on here, it's so smooth and the transitions between everything is really nice.  I'll have to check this album out for sure, great tune.

Secondary Motion - This is one I loved right away.  I love the 80's vibe right off the bat and Schenker's lead here is brilliant.  Great tempo and groove of this one also.  Simple riffing but so classy.  The chorus is pretty cheesy but I like it a lot.  Killer solo bit, Cozy is ripping too.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2783 on: February 28, 2021, 05:08:34 AM »
Just been watching a YouTube guitar lesson video David Brewster’s 3 for all. He was showing some Warren De Martini licks from 91 and Schenker was playing guitar with him as Crosby had left. Never knew that had happened.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2784 on: February 28, 2021, 09:45:15 AM »
Just been watching a YouTube guitar lesson video David Brewster’s 3 for all. He was showing some Warren De Martini licks from 91 and Schenker was playing guitar with him as Crosby had left. Never knew that had happened.

Sorry, but Michael Schenker playing with Ratt is like Albert Einstein teaching my 4-year old grandson how to count the number line. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2785 on: February 28, 2021, 11:03:17 AM »

Sorry, but Michael Schenker playing with Ratt is like Albert Einstein teaching my 4-year old grandson how to count the number line.

That’s a bit harsh. De Martini is a great player.

They get a bad rap because the singer was awful.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2786 on: February 28, 2021, 12:11:55 PM »

That’s a bit harsh. De Martini is a great player.

They get a bad rap because the singer was awful.

Well, that's where I was going; if Schenker was playing with Crosby, DeMartini wasn't there.  I'm not a fan of Steven Pearcy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2787 on: February 28, 2021, 01:22:47 PM »
De Martini is a player I haven't really explored but what I've heard he's a great player.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2788 on: February 28, 2021, 04:27:53 PM »

Yes, he played with Ratt for a bit. Believe it or not, I've never watched any footage. Or searched it out even. I've been afraid to see it. :lol

Michael was in LA at the time. Bobby Blotzer played on the Contraband album with Schenker.

I thought Ratt was decent musically, but holy fuck did Stephen Pearcy fucking blow monkey chunks. He sucked.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2789 on: February 28, 2021, 04:30:00 PM »
At the End of the Day - Listening to this one for the first time.  Nice melodic intro.  I really really like the melodies going on here, it's so smooth and the transitions between everything is really nice.  I'll have to check this album out for sure, great tune.

Yes, this track is so pleasant on the ears.

Anyday - Moody, dark intro, I like it.  When it gets going, it has a great groove.  I love how quickly the solo comes into the song and then going back into that moody intro.  Nice heavy outro too and is kicked up a gear with another ripper Chapman solo.  I really like his playing.  The key change just before the fade is excellent.

It's a deep and underrated track.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2790 on: February 28, 2021, 05:45:48 PM »
I think I'll put the Chapman albums in the car tonight and run through them again.  All these songs are pretty damn nice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2791 on: February 28, 2021, 06:03:11 PM »
I think I'll put the Chapman albums in the car tonight and run through them again.  All these songs are pretty damn nice.

:metal :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2792 on: February 28, 2021, 06:10:23 PM »
Two epics!

UFO

6 Love To Love   (Lights Out)

No surprise here. Love To Love is a classic UFO track played by pretty much all incarnations, though I'm not sure they did with Tommy.

Paul Raymond starts this out in dreamy fashion and Michael's accoustic guitar in the intro is a nice touch.

This song features a great vocal by Phil. He's really impressive here. He conveys the emotion really well.

The final solo by Michael is amazing, but honestly, it's the Strangers' version of Love To Love that I go to. Michael absolutely slays that final section.

I would also recommend the version on 1992's Lights Out In Tokyo with Laurence Archer. That version smokes. It's played at a quicker pace and I love it.

And Paul Chapman does a nice job on the Rockpalast show as well.

30 History Of Flames
29 Stranger In Town
28 Call My Name/All Over You
27 Who's Fooling Who
26 Fool's Gold
25 On With The Action
24 Gone In The Night
23 Name Of Love
22 Lonely Heart
21 You Don't Fool Me
20 Back Into My Life
19 Let It Roll
18 Wreckless
17 Drink Too Much
16 Self Made Man
15 Out In The Street
14 The Wild One
13 Time On My Hands
12 Borderline
11 One More For The Rodeo
10 Dreaming
9 Doing It All For You
8 Anyday
7 Long Gone
6 Love To Love

Michael Schenker

6 Lost Horizons  (Michael Schenker Group)

This is an epic track of Michaels first album.

Michaels main lick at :43 is bone chilling. What an epic line that is.

I love this part:
"Can you see me now, can you feel the pain,
Can you heal the scars on me
Life within my heart, hope within my soul, is dying!"

Once the main solo starts, Michael is basically putting on a clinic.

I definitely prefer the live versions of this song. The Rockpalast version is amazing and the Budokan one is great too. I definitely prefer the power of Cozy Powell over the pitter patter of Simon Philips.

30 Bittersweet
29 Cry For The Nations
28 The Dogs Of War
27 Good Times
26 Land Of Thunder
25 Dance For The Piper
24 Samurai
23 Live And Let Live
22 Red Sky
21 Armed And Ready
20 Shine On
19 Under A Blood Red Sky
18 Get Out
17 Rock Will Never Die
16 Horizons
15 Rock You To The Ground
14 But I want More
13 Rock My Nights Away
12 In Search Of The Peace Of Mind
11 Assault Attack
10 Attack Of The Mad Axeman
9 Save Yourself
8 At The End Of The Day
7 Secondary Motion
6 Lost Horizons
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:06:15 PM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2793 on: February 28, 2021, 07:02:34 PM »
At first I didn't like Chapman's version of LTL, but now it might be my fav, I just love what he does with it.  I'll check that Archer version again.

Lost Horizons is a great song.  Amazing work all over it from Schenker.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2794 on: March 01, 2021, 07:01:07 AM »
Lost Horizons RULES.  That and Victim Of Illusion are my favorite songs on the debut record. 

As for the lists, I am so happy that "Heel Of A Stranger" is going to make the top five (it can't possibly be outside of the top 30, and there's only five songs left!).  I'm giddy!   

I am also kidding; I do expect to see Victim Of Illusion in the top five of MSG, though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2795 on: March 01, 2021, 05:23:57 PM »
NPTR is a pretty enjoyable listen.  I mist have taken Schenker leaving out on this album, and the next two probably.

Lettin' Go is a great song and love the structure.  I can dig Mystery Train too.  Gone in the Night is excellent and the title track too.  Any day is indeed a strong song Tim, great closer.

Chapman is wonderful all over this album too.  I love this guys playing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2796 on: March 01, 2021, 05:45:38 PM »
NPTR has a couple of duds and the production is a bit dry, but song wise it's actually pretty good. If I was going a Top 40 instead of a Top 30, Lettin' Go makes the list. That song kicks ass.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2797 on: March 01, 2021, 06:10:03 PM »
NPTR has a couple of duds and the production is a bit dry, but song wise it's actually pretty good. If I was going a Top 40 instead of a Top 30, Lettin' Go makes the list. That song kicks ass.

Yeah a couple of flops but an enjoyable listen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2798 on: March 01, 2021, 06:13:19 PM »

I do expect to see Victim Of Illusion in the top five of MSG, though.

You have a better chance at seeing Heel Of A Stranger in my UFO Top 5..... :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2799 on: March 01, 2021, 06:29:51 PM »
I thought I remember Tim saying he wasn't a big fan of VOI?  Could be wrong.