Author Topic: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread  (Read 147923 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The UFO Discography And Listening Party Thread
« Reply #2905 on: March 26, 2022, 05:28:51 AM »
I thought it was awful. Michael shitting on his own legacy by putting out substandard crap, an inspired solo, and the fashion sense of a 12 year old. It's embarrassing, honestly.

Interesting take.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2906 on: March 26, 2022, 05:45:05 AM »
I meant "uninspired" solo. I've edited it.

I know this is primarily a thread for fans and I probably should keep my negative comments to myself, but Michael was one of my idols growing up, and I can help feeling let down. He's only human, and a damned odd one at that, but I don't feel it's necessary to gush over everything he does just because it's him.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2907 on: March 26, 2022, 01:09:30 PM »
I don't feel it's necessary to gush over everything he does just because it's him.

Who is doing that?
Zoom, Kade, and Deveira thought it was cool. I thought it had some nice playing, especially towards the ending. That's hardly gushing. Kade and Stadler are on record here as saying the last album stunk.

I know this is primarily a thread for fans and I probably should keep my negative comments to myself,

It's my thread, and I certainly don't have an issue with negative comments. I appreciate your opinion, honestly. This is a Listening Party and discussion thread. We have a new album coming out soon, and we'll discuss it. If it stinks, then it stinks. It's fine. I consider us all sitting having a beer talking music.

Michael shitting on his own legacy by putting out substandard crap,

I'd argue that he's spent the last 10 years RESTORING his legacy. This will be Michael's EIGTH album in the last 11 years. If I take 1974-1984 and consider that his 10 BEST years, then I'm taking 2012-2022 as the next 10 best years of his career. He put out a lot of crap for a long time. He's been clean and creative for the last decade.

The way he writes is when he has 10 songs, he records an album. He doesn't write 20 to find the 10 best. He has mentioned that. I'd rather get 8 albums with mixed results than 2 albums of all excellent songs. I can easily make a playlist of 20 excellent songs, and more, over these last 8 albums. I know how the new one will be. Same as all of them. 3 songs I love, 2 songs I hate, 3 that are pretty decent, and 2 that I don't go either way on.

After 2 listens, I can't say I love the new song. I'm not happy that Ronnie Romero is the lead singer on the album either. But I am sure as hell looking forward to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2908 on: March 26, 2022, 03:35:43 PM »
I meant "uninspired" solo. I've edited it.

I know this is primarily a thread for fans and I probably should keep my negative comments to myself, but Michael was one of my idols growing up, and I can help feeling let down. He's only human, and a damned odd one at that, but I don't feel it's necessary to gush over everything he does just because it's him.

Negative comments are fine Gregg.  I've only become a real fan since Tim created this thread.  As Tim said, I didn't like the last album at all.  I haven't liked everything I've heard from him either, but I do like this track.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2909 on: March 27, 2022, 06:46:19 AM »
Two things contributed to the tone of my post yesterday, methinks. 1) I'm 60, and grumpiness tends rear its ugly head unlooked for. 2) While at the gym earlier in the morning, Self Made Man showed up on shuffle. So, I had the greatness of Michael's guitar work for that song fresh in my memory. By comparison (probably unfairly) the new song just didn't stack up.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2910 on: March 27, 2022, 07:22:51 AM »
No worries Gregg. I’m 53 and grumpy as hell. It’s actually getting worse.  :lol

Ain’t much gonna stack up with Walk On Water.

FTR, I’m not sold on this track either. I feel like it’ll probably end up being o e if the tracks that I could go both ways on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2911 on: March 27, 2022, 03:12:51 PM »
Two things contributed to the tone of my post yesterday, methinks. 1) I'm 60, and grumpiness tends rear its ugly head unlooked for. 2) While at the gym earlier in the morning, Self Made Man showed up on shuffle. So, I had the greatness of Michael's guitar work for that song fresh in my memory. By comparison (probably unfairly) the new song just didn't stack up.  :biggrin:

Such a great song, and an amazing album.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2912 on: March 27, 2022, 08:06:16 PM »
No worries Gregg. I’m 53 and grumpy as hell. It’s actually getting worse.  :lol

I think we all should just call ourselves Carl while at home and on this forum ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2913 on: March 28, 2022, 06:48:17 AM »
I liked the song, the riff is excellent as is the solo, but I'm kind of over Ronnie Romero, to be honest.  I thought he was an interesting choice for Blackmore; he kind of had the mix of Dio and Turner that Ritchie was always craving, but his voice is kind of bland, in my opinion.  I can sort of understand why Blackmore didn't do a studio album with him (though I'm not at all suggesting that's the REAL reason there is no new Rainbow).  I didn't really care for his work with Michael; I'm still into the "Fest" stuff, and want to hear more Barden and Bonnet and McAuley and White.   So I'm not jazzed for this other than the song with Michael Kiske.  I will buy it, though, since Michael has been playing his ass off lately. 

I will say this, though: as much as he as resuscitated his career, this is typical Michael Schenker; it is SO hard to follow the trajectory of his career.  Is it MSG?  Is it McAuley Schenker?  Is it Temple of Rock?  Is it Michael Schenker Fest?  Schenker Barden?  Michael Schenker's MSG?  He's got a different band name for every release it seems like.   (And isn't "Michael Schenker's MSG" sort of like saying "ATM machine"?)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2914 on: March 28, 2022, 08:27:46 AM »

(And isn't "Michael Schenker's MSG" sort of like saying "ATM machine"?)

Ha! In my line of work the equivalent to that is NIC card (network interface card). I had a teacher when I was getting my computer training who hated when people said that and would shame you every time. It became ingrained in me. To tell you how old I am, he was teaching us how to code in DOS. It was my favorite class.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2915 on: March 28, 2022, 09:07:03 AM »

Ha! In my line of work the equivalent to that is NIC card (network interface card). I had a teacher when I was getting my computer training who hated when people said that and would shame you every time. It became ingrained in me. To tell you how old I am, he was teaching us how to code in DOS. It was my favorite class.

To tell you how old I am, I don’t even know what DOS is.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2916 on: March 28, 2022, 03:14:03 PM »

:lol  That doesn't relate to age, that's just you being you Tim.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2917 on: March 28, 2022, 06:38:05 PM »

:lol  That doesn't relate to age, that's just you being you Tim.

And DOS has been around since the 80s  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2918 on: March 29, 2022, 05:21:54 AM »
More like D'oh for Tim!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2919 on: March 29, 2022, 05:51:12 AM »
Oh it’s bad.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2920 on: March 29, 2022, 07:32:52 AM »
Actually, DOS should be his operating system based on its release year.

Notable albums released the same year as DOS:

The Wild, the Willing and the Innocent
MSG

:rollin
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2921 on: March 29, 2022, 08:09:06 AM »
My two favorite albums from my favorite year of music.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2922 on: April 06, 2022, 11:42:31 AM »
Michael's press tour has begun!

The Metal Voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWMfgOSl5c0

Host: "I was surprised to see that Michael Kiske on the record"
Michael: "So was I!"  :lol

Host: "Going back to The King Is Gone, it sounds like an homage to Richie Blackmore as well"
Michael: "To me it sounds like Michael Schenker"  :rollin

Him talking about song lyrics is hilarious. KK Downing too.

He mentioned that Simon Phillips is the drummer on Emergency, the song that was released a couple of weeks ago.

And no, he has not made up with Rudolf. :lol

If you have 15 minutes and need a good laugh, check this out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2923 on: April 06, 2022, 04:06:19 PM »
Nice.  I'll be watching this tonight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2924 on: April 06, 2022, 04:12:43 PM »
Nice.  I'll be watching this tonight.

It's only his voice as it's a phone interview, but the hosts are on screen, and you can hear them chuckle to each other at some of the things he says. I was literally laughing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: April 06, 2022, 04:25:03 PM »
Can't wait.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2926 on: April 07, 2022, 07:41:59 AM »

The Metal Voice

Host: "Going back to The King Is Gone, it sounds like an homage to Richie Blackmore as well"

He mentioned that Simon Phillips is the drummer on Emergency, the song that was released a couple of weeks ago.

Classic Michael, right there.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2927 on: April 07, 2022, 12:32:35 PM »
Seeing as he still claims that he does not listen to music other than his own, would he even know what Blackmore sounds like?

I can't fathom not listening to music. It's my lifeblood. That statement from him just baffles me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2928 on: April 07, 2022, 02:06:25 PM »
Seeing as he still claims that he does not listen to music other than his own, would he even know what Blackmore sounds like?

I can't fathom not listening to music. It's my lifeblood. That statement from him just baffles me.

That always baffled me, too.  I can't imagine it either.  But then again, I can also see being so consumed by your own music that other people's doesn't give you joy.  It's kind of like knowing how a magic trick works; other magicians are probably respectful of Penn and Teller or David Copperfield for their craft, but it's not like they are fooled or tricked.  I don't know.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2929 on: April 07, 2022, 02:14:43 PM »
While I take that comment with a grain of salt, it wouldn't shock me if it's fairly close to the truth. He strikes me as really eccentric.

In the interview, it's interesting how he hands a song off to Michael Voss to write the lyrics. That part of the interview is quite hilarious.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2930 on: April 08, 2022, 06:13:54 AM »

The Metal Voice

FANTASTIC!  Lol, he loves that word.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2931 on: April 08, 2022, 06:44:48 AM »
BULLY. He loves that word too.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2932 on: April 15, 2022, 04:44:00 PM »
Phil Mogg turns 74 today!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2933 on: April 15, 2022, 05:01:14 PM »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2937 on: April 17, 2022, 09:59:07 PM »
Had my iPod on shuffle on my way to and from the Biffy Clyro show in Chicago tonight. Makin' Moves comes on while driving home. Man, that thing rips! Chapman is going off. Looked back at my top 10 and that track wasn't there. Not sure why because that was pretty awesome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2938 on: April 18, 2022, 03:48:35 AM »
Had my iPod on shuffle on my way to and from the Biffy Clyro show in Chicago tonight. Makin' Moves comes on while driving home. Man, that thing rips! Chapman is going off. Looked back at my top 10 and that track wasn't there. Not sure why because that was pretty awesome.

That one, plus a few others jumped out when I went back through the Chapman stuff.  I too wondered how I missed it the first time around.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2939 on: April 18, 2022, 05:27:37 AM »

Thanks to you it’s gonna  be a UFO day today at work.