Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 442626 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5040 on: August 12, 2020, 07:12:43 PM »
So.....I just went to a local gun shop to see about picking up a couple magazine holsters. Keep in mind I live in a VERY red/trumpian area. I walked into the shop wearing my mask and I was the only person wearing one between employees and the handful of patrons in there. Received many judgmental glares and.....when asked by an employee if there was anything he could help me with......I said "looking for a magazine holster"......he quickly said..."We don't have any of those" all the while holding the same glare I'd been getting from everyone.

I was looking right at the rack that had a pretty good assortment of magazine holsters. It was apparent I wasn't welcome there given the fact I was wearing a mask....and honestly, I should have walked out before that anyway because none of those nitwits were wearing one.

That amazes me as well. It's the opposite side of the non-mask wearing anger. Which I don't understand. I don't know why it bothers them so much, to not want to sell you a magazine and lose business. If that was me, I would've told the cashier something along the lines of, "I'm wearing this because I am susceptible and I don't chance getting any sickness, even the common cold"

Their loss on business. Idiots.

I rarely visit this particular shop because of the general attitude of the employees. They've been pretty judgmental in the past even before this face mask thing today. They talk down to people a lot.....are very blunt and over all not friendly. That was the first time I've stepped into that shop in I'd say 7 or 8 years. I just need a couple more mag. holsters for some training I'm going through this saturday so I thought I'd go to them since they're only a couple minutes away. So, it looks like I'll make the drive out to my normal 'go to' store tomorrow.

:lol :lol

Well there is nothing you can do about that. Assholes will be assholes regardless of anything you say to them, a sad truth of life.

I'm surprised they haven't gone out of business yet then.  Is there anyway that you can give a honest review about them and let them know about it?

and this. Write a review about their attitudes.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5041 on: August 12, 2020, 07:26:54 PM »
So.....I just went to a local gun shop to see about picking up a couple magazine holsters. Keep in mind I live in a VERY red/trumpian area. I walked into the shop wearing my mask and I was the only person wearing one between employees and the handful of patrons in there. Received many judgmental glares and.....when asked by an employee if there was anything he could help me with......I said "looking for a magazine holster"......he quickly said..."We don't have any of those" all the while holding the same glare I'd been getting from everyone.

I was looking right at the rack that had a pretty good assortment of magazine holsters. It was apparent I wasn't welcome there given the fact I was wearing a mask....and honestly, I should have walked out before that anyway because none of those nitwits were wearing one.

Wow Gary, that's amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5042 on: August 12, 2020, 09:03:10 PM »
Wait, Janet1234, what that the 'I'm a girl' one?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5043 on: August 12, 2020, 09:04:47 PM »
I do not recall Janet1234.

And Gary's story is just so, so.... 2020.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5044 on: August 12, 2020, 09:11:05 PM »

Close ... https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=21655.msg823730#msg823730

I forget the leadup to why "Janet" was such a troublesome poster, but Hef's response is one of my Top 5 favorite of all-time DTF posts.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5045 on: August 12, 2020, 09:23:31 PM »
Weird, I do not remember that at all.

And Hef really needs to work on getting to the crux of what he wants to say. He spends way too much time and verbiage meandering around. He should just get to the point more directly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5046 on: August 13, 2020, 06:40:56 AM »

And Hef really needs to work on getting to the crux of what he wants to say. He spends way too much time and verbiage meandering around. He should just get to the point more directly.

I'll work with him on that. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #5047 on: August 13, 2020, 07:49:46 AM »
Pretty staggering number of students and teachers already quarantined in GA. 1K or more. I think it's easy to extrapolate and see where this goes, and at what speed, when all 50 states open up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5048 on: August 13, 2020, 10:14:41 AM »

I'll work with him on that.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5049 on: August 13, 2020, 10:19:48 AM »

Close ... https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=21655.msg823730#msg823730

I forget the leadup to why "Janet" was such a troublesome poster, but Hef's response is one of my Top 5 favorite of all-time DTF posts.

I'd say 'Tapout shirt' would be close, and actually the first response to this thread is one of my all time favorites as well.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5050 on: August 13, 2020, 10:29:14 AM »
Pretty staggering number of students and teachers already quarantined in GA. 1K or more. I think it's easy to extrapolate and see where this goes, and at what speed, when all 50 states open up.

What's it been?  Less than 2 weeks?  As I'm pretty sure I said when re-openings were mandated... yeah, this will end well.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5051 on: August 13, 2020, 10:31:58 AM »

What's it been?  Less than 2 weeks?  As I'm pretty sure I said when re-openings were mandated... yeah, this will end well.
Anyone who actually thought it'd end well is a fucking moron.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5052 on: August 13, 2020, 02:19:14 PM »

Just saw this story. It should be the blueprint of what not to do.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-193-quarantined-covid-successful-121848515.html

First few sentences say it all:

The first letter went out Aug. 4, one day after students in the Cherokee County School District returned to their classrooms for the first time since the eruption of the coronavirus pandemic.

“Dear Parents,” wrote Dr. Ashley Kennerly, the principal of Sixes Elementary School. “I am writing this letter in order to communicate that a student in 2nd grade has tested positive for COVID-19.”

By the time the last bell rang Friday afternoon, principals at 10 other schools had sent similar letters to families in Cherokee County, a bucolic and politically conservative stretch of suburbs north of Atlanta. This week, more letters went out.

Altogether, nearly 1,200 students and staff members in the district have already been ordered to quarantine. On Tuesday, one high school closed its doors until at least Aug. 31. A second high school followed Wednesday.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5053 on: August 14, 2020, 04:44:36 AM »
If the plan is for everyone potentially exposed to quarantine every time there's a single positive case, then this is all stupid and they should just do distance learning.

We had our first positive where I work. Thankfully it sounds like it's very unlikely anyone else was exposed. The guy's brother came home from a trip Thursday, coworker tested positive on Monday along with the rest of his family. So the only overlap was Friday, less than 24 hours after first exposure. I work mostly from home, but was in the office for a few minutes, though nowhere near where he works.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5054 on: August 16, 2020, 06:42:39 AM »
If the plan is for everyone potentially exposed to quarantine every time there's a single positive case, then this is all stupid and they should just do distance learning.

I work at in school (~1400 kids) in NY, and this is exactly what the district plan is. Those that have been exposed will have to quarantine for 14 days.

In the last week, my district has decided:
- Pushed the starting date for the kids one week back
- Full day of classes
- Hybrid learning: Mon A (A-L), Tues B (N-Z), Wed deep clean building/remote learning, Thurs A (A-L), Fri (N-Z)
- Daily self-reporting  ::)

The custodians have started setting up the classrooms with desks/chairs six feet apart. It's surreal.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5055 on: August 17, 2020, 02:19:13 PM »
Oh wow, long time no see, Cecilia!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5056 on: August 17, 2020, 03:00:28 PM »
Numbers are getting a little better here in FL. I'm encouraged. We only have 31 positives at my hospital, down from the 70's in recent weeks. And we were below 4K in new cases.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5057 on: August 18, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »
Just curious if anyone is going to the dentist for cleanings and such?  That's probably the #1 thing I'm concerned about.  I haven't had a cleaning since January.  Are the other patients following strict guidelines?  Who knows?  As long as the hygienist wears a mask, it's ok?  Patients can't wear masks.  :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5058 on: August 18, 2020, 10:31:58 AM »
Appointments were more staggered, so there were few people waiting, and there were fewer chairs spaced farther apart.  The assistant wore a mask as always, along with a face shield.  I wore safety goggles.   I could tell that the chair had been wiped down after the previous patient.

That was around six weeks ago. 

It's 'different', but I felt confident (and as relaxed as one can at the dentist ;))
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:01:55 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5059 on: August 18, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »
Just curious if anyone is going to the dentist for cleanings and such?  That's probably the #1 thing I'm concerned about.  I haven't had a cleaning since January.  Are the other patients following strict guidelines?  Who knows?  As long as the hygienist wears a mask, it's ok?  Patients can't wear masks.  :dunno:

I purposely delayed my appointment from July until... the end of the year, basically. I got a call back saying someone canceled so I could get in earlier but I just didn't return the call. I'm not really comfortable with someone toiling around in my mouth with their fingers even if they're wearing gloves etc. at this time, even with low cases in our area. Also I just hate going there.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5060 on: August 18, 2020, 10:52:27 AM »
My kids went for their cleanings last week.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5061 on: August 18, 2020, 10:54:18 AM »

I had an abscess develop at the base of an old rool canal and had to have the tooth pulled last month. My dentist is not allowing anyone in the waiting room. When you arrive, you call the front desk and announce you are there. You either wait in your car or stand outside the building and they will come out and get you when they are ready. They then have you fill out a health check report and apply sanitizer to your hands. They also had me rinse with a special mouthwash prior to my procedure.

I am actually getting my cleaning on Thursday so I will be going back again. So far, no outbreaks have been reported from him. 
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5062 on: August 18, 2020, 11:06:14 AM »
My family finally had a ceremony in church for my grandma who passed from covid back in April.  Such a weird and awkward experience.  A lot of fighting in family about even having it since many weren't comfortable going.  In the end, not many people showed up and we all kept our distance inside the church, it was just sad, but at the same time, it was also nice to see my aunts/uncles and a few cousins who I hadn't seen since Christmas.  My parents were able to watch a live stream from Florida as well.  I just wish we had an ending in site for this, makes me so depressed thinking this new normal could be here for a long time... and yet I see in Wuhan things are back to mostly normal.  It boggles my mind that we as a country couldn't unite against this and have it be in our past or near past already.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5063 on: August 18, 2020, 12:01:00 PM »
I was talking to a friend and we were struggling to imagine the holiday season under these conditions.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5064 on: August 18, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »
Halloween is going to be interesting for sure.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5065 on: August 18, 2020, 12:09:28 PM »
Halloween is going to be interesting for sure.

Kids will definitively dress as Covid, making a mask resembling the virus  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5066 on: August 18, 2020, 02:10:24 PM »
University of North Carolina started classes last week, mostly in person.

As of tomorrow, they are going to online only classes, due to four clusters of COVID infection that have sprung up.  Gee, how did that happen?

Offline emtee

« Reply #5067 on: August 18, 2020, 02:15:44 PM »

As of tomorrow, they are going to online only classes, due to four clusters of COVID infection that have sprung up.  Gee, how did that happen?

No doubt.

Things are still improving here in FL. I really hope the trend continues.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5068 on: August 18, 2020, 02:25:23 PM »
One of my close friends is a dentist. She says the practices really depend on the place you go to. You should be able to call and ask what specifically they are doing to follow CDC recommendations, but some places refuse to comply with them. So you basically have to use your best judgement.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5069 on: August 18, 2020, 03:16:24 PM »

No doubt.

Things are still improving here in FL. I really hope the trend continues.

That is good to hear. How are the rules in Florida and for how long (things like major events/masks/store rules etc.)? Or does it depend on the area? (Here in the Netherlands, for example, Amsterdam has tighter rules than most other towns, due to the risk factors and amounts of cases).

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5070 on: August 18, 2020, 04:24:16 PM »
Guess who's finally getting plexiglass for their desk? I suppose I shouldn't get too excited until it actually happens, but it seems to be a strong possibility!

Oh wow, long time no see, Cecilia!

Hey Hef!  :hat

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5071 on: August 18, 2020, 04:31:41 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/now-best-evidence-yet-everyone-195200113.html

Pretty good news actually, even though anti-bodies may fade over time, your t-cells will not so if you get infected, your body will very likely be able to fight off another infection even after some time

A study published Friday in the journal Cell suggests that everyone who gets COVID-19 — even people with mild or asymptomatic cases — develops T cells that can hunt down the coronavirus if they get exposed again later.

I think this makes sense as a second infection is mostly unheard of and the fact that the virus seems to sweep through communities only once so far.  Plus more people and models seem to think that a second wave might not happen, just one really long first wave.  That's not part of the article but something I've read elsewhere, but so far the statistics may support that too.  If you look on US state statistics, they almost all show a wave of infections before going down.  The southern states just seeing this later than the northern states.  Even Florida is getting better for example. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5072 on: August 19, 2020, 03:37:47 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/now-best-evidence-yet-everyone-195200113.html

Pretty good news actually, even though anti-bodies may fade over time, your t-cells will not so if you get infected, your body will very likely be able to fight off another infection even after some time

A study published Friday in the journal Cell suggests that everyone who gets COVID-19 — even people with mild or asymptomatic cases — develops T cells that can hunt down the coronavirus if they get exposed again later.

I think this makes sense as a second infection is mostly unheard of and the fact that the virus seems to sweep through communities only once so far.  Plus more people and models seem to think that a second wave might not happen, just one really long first wave.  That's not part of the article but something I've read elsewhere, but so far the statistics may support that too.  If you look on US state statistics, they almost all show a wave of infections before going down.  The southern states just seeing this later than the northern states.  Even Florida is getting better for example.

That is good news, and Cell is a very good scientific journal.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5073 on: August 19, 2020, 05:42:32 AM »
Put the kid on an airplane this morning to go back to college.   So THIS is what "mixed emotions" feels like.  ;)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5074 on: August 19, 2020, 08:00:27 AM »
We did the same thing a few weeks ago.  Kinda scary.  I know the numbers, and the odds against her getting it are "pretty good" and even if she gets it, the odds of her surviving are "pretty good", but we're still gambling with her life here.  The main reason we sent her back was basically because she wants to go.  She's got one more semester until she graduates (would've graduated in the spring, but she's got a few classes left to take) and she wants to get it over with.  Plus young people are insane and fearless.  It would've been a fight to keep her home.  So she went back.  Hoping for the best.