Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 434634 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5145 on: August 25, 2020, 11:42:32 AM »
If you ever seen any of these similar signs at frat houses, I think you would just take it as a joke and not extrapolate real thought to it.  Sure it's "anti-mask" and "pro eating ass" but taking it further than just a stupid college joke is really going too far.  Criticize the people for not following social distancing, but the sign is pure stupidity at it's finest for college students.

I'm not singling out the sign. If everyone there was wearing a mask, it'd have a different context. But it's the whole picture.

"college stupidity" causes COVID spreading, so I don't just brush it off. Sorry.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5146 on: August 25, 2020, 11:50:09 AM »
If you ever seen any of these similar signs at frat houses, I think you would just take it as a joke and not extrapolate real thought to it.  Sure it's "anti-mask" and "pro eating ass" but taking it further than just a stupid college joke is really going too far.  Criticize the people for not following social distancing, but the sign is pure stupidity at it's finest for college students.

I'm not singling out the sign. If everyone there was wearing a mask, it'd have a different context. But it's the whole picture.

"college stupidity" causes COVID spreading, so I don't just brush it off. Sorry.

I'm not defending them, but drinking outside doesn't require a mask usually.  I mean, you can outdoor dine pretty much everywhere in the US and you don't need to wear a mask (how can you).  As I said before, this specific example of the kids outside drinking is not really an example of college stupidity IMO.  As I said before, it's the 50 kids partying in the basement that are the problem.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5147 on: August 25, 2020, 11:52:51 AM »

I think that’s a fair takeaway here. While I agree wth Bill and Marc, the biggest point is the carelessness and attitude, as demonstrated in multiple facets of the picture. Yes, they may be doing some things right (as Tim mentions) but it’s still irresponsible and dangerous - to them and others.

You wouldn’t commend a drunk driver for wearing their seatbelt, doing the limit, staying in their lane, signalling properly, and stopping at 7 out of 8 lights ... if they T-boned someone at the 8th.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5148 on: August 25, 2020, 11:56:17 AM »
Yeah, I think you could make a sign like that just to be a college asshole (and taken on its own it's pretty funny) and not a rabid anti-masker, but at the same time, unless you're pretty lax and callous about the entire situation (like the kind of person who would show up to this gathering in the first place), you wouldn't put it up either. And it's that kind of 'who cares, it's not that big of a deal' kind of attitude that gets us, maybe even more so than the rabid Covid-isn't-realers.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5149 on: August 25, 2020, 12:19:14 PM »
Whoa, whoa.  I'm not at all saying "who cares, it's not that big a deal".  I put my kid on an airplane to go to college not a week ago.  I get it.   I'm just saying that it's not as easy as standing here and casting judgment like Solomon without some consideration.   I would prefer those kids have masks on.   No question.   I - as a dad - would prefer if those kids were home, sitting on their own couches, watching Big Bang Theory.   But there's a dose of reality - as well as human nature - here that cannot be avoided.   I think too much more is getting unrealistic to ask for, even if it's optimal. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5150 on: August 25, 2020, 12:21:27 PM »
Not saying you were, I was talking about the ass-eater who made the sign.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5151 on: August 25, 2020, 12:37:16 PM »
I should also clarify, I think ass eating is disgusting and maybe would rather put on a mask before my mouth ever went into someone's anus  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5152 on: August 25, 2020, 12:42:10 PM »
But it's the latest thing!   :)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5153 on: August 25, 2020, 12:49:22 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5154 on: August 25, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »
I agree!  Yoga pants!!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5155 on: August 25, 2020, 12:56:30 PM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5156 on: August 25, 2020, 01:53:33 PM »
Dental dams. Stay safe, friends.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #5157 on: August 25, 2020, 03:20:31 PM »
^^^  See I'm with you on all counts.  They ARE doing what has been recommended by some authorities; outside, distance.

And where there's a will there's a way; if you're really wanting to eat ass, a mask ought not stop you.

There's an underwear with a fly hole joke somewhere here, but I'm too exhausted to come up with one

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5158 on: August 25, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
I have a hard time calling kids fucking idiots.
Have you ever met any kids?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5159 on: August 25, 2020, 03:54:50 PM »

When I was in college, I managed to fall off a 5th floor balcony while smoking a cigarette alone. I'd think there was something wrong with you if you didn't refer to me as a "fucking idiot".

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5160 on: August 25, 2020, 03:58:49 PM »
I'd call you fucking lucky.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5161 on: August 25, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »

When I was in college, I managed to fall off a 5th floor balcony while smoking a cigarette alone. I'd think there was something wrong with you if you didn't refer to me as a "fucking idiot".

I was bitten by a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake when I was stoned and drunk.......that I 'owned' as a pet and decided that it'd be a good idea to remove it from its secure enclosure to hold. Pretty sure that version of Gary was a "fucking idiot"
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5162 on: August 25, 2020, 04:10:56 PM »
We’ve all got our “holy fucknards I was an idiot” story. In fact, seems like a perfect idea for a thread unto itself!  I’d start it now, but I’m off to pickup jingle.son from work. If no one has done it by the time I’m back here (assuming I remember), I’ll fire it up.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5163 on: August 25, 2020, 04:11:50 PM »
I’ve spent the last two years working with college students.

Calling them idiots ain’t a stretch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5164 on: August 25, 2020, 04:18:20 PM »
We’ve all got our “holy fucknards I was an idiot” story. In fact, seems like a perfect idea for a thread unto itself!  I’d start it now, but I’m off to pickup jingle.son from work. If no one has done it by the time I’m back here (assuming I remember), I’ll fire it up.

I guarantee you I'll have five of the first ten posts.   But to remain on topic here, that's part of the idea.  It's the one time you can sort push the boundaries on what is acceptable and what isn't.  Get that shit out of your system where the consequences are still real but are cushioned a bit.  I'm not talking about hardcore felony crime, but in terms of testing social norms.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5165 on: August 25, 2020, 04:26:06 PM »
Yes, college kids are idiot. I was an idiot.

I just resisted lashing out at the kids in THAT picture. What I saw there in and of itself didn't make them idiots, to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5166 on: August 25, 2020, 11:43:31 PM »
As someone who teaches high school kids, I agree with TAC in the sense that I have a hard time calling those idiots. They can be clumsy, messy or awkward, sure, but they're also still growing up.

College students on the other hand... yeah, they're idiots.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5167 on: August 28, 2020, 07:13:42 AM »
Even in my podunk little town, COVID has already hit the middle school, and an even smaller school in a neighboring town. Gee, who could have ever predicted this happening after you open schools? Insane.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5168 on: August 28, 2020, 07:17:14 AM »
Awesome this morning on Clay Travis’ show, interviewing guy who has an article in the Wall Street Journal exposing Andrew Cuomo’s complete mishandling of the pandemic, yet the media is so skewed in his favor he has a book coming out about how he “conquered” the virus  :rollin.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5169 on: August 28, 2020, 07:37:40 AM »
Awesome this morning on Clay Travis’ show, interviewing guy who has an article in the Wall Street Journal exposing Andrew Cuomo’s complete mishandling of the pandemic, yet the media is so skewed in his favor he has a book coming out about how he “conquered” the virus  :rollin.

I need to read that, because living here in CT, I've sung the praises of Cuomo.  He did - from a perception point of view - everything he was supposed to do.  Open press conferences, candid responses, collaborative discussions (with Trump, with my governor, and with NJ's governor).   My governor - Ned Lamont, who I did NOT vote for (strenuously) but who has completely won me over - has been largely following Cuomo's lead and we've got some of the best numbers in the COUNTRY.   So while I have no dog in the Cuomo hunt, if it is in fact the case that he botched this, I think that casts a lot of the criticisms of Trump in a new light, because he was (supposedly) doing all the things Trump was supposed to.  That seems to tell me that this wasn't something that was going to be stopped or minimized by "leadership", but only by FULL cooperation between the disparate people that make up our society.  You don't need to be a Poly Sci major to know that that's not happening in this divisive, antagonistic society we live in, where our side is "morally right" and the other side are "deplorable/fascist idiots". 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5170 on: August 28, 2020, 07:41:25 AM »

I need to read that, because living here in CT, I've sung the praises of Cuomo.  He did - from a perception point of view - everything he was supposed to do.  Open press conferences, candid responses, collaborative discussions (with Trump, with my governor, and with NJ's governor).   My governor - Ned Lamont, who I did NOT vote for (strenuously) but who has completely won me over - has been largely following Cuomo's lead and we've got some of the best numbers in the COUNTRY.   So while I have no dog in the Cuomo hunt, if it is in fact the case that he botched this, I think that casts a lot of the criticisms of Trump in a new light, because he was (supposedly) doing all the things Trump was supposed to.  That seems to tell me that this wasn't something that was going to be stopped or minimized by "leadership", but only by FULL cooperation between the disparate people that make up our society.  You don't need to be a Poly Sci major to know that that's not happening in this divisive, antagonistic society we live in, where our side is "morally right" and the other side are "deplorable/fascist idiots".

I think Lamont handled this as good as anyone could have asked for. We were right next to ground zero in the early days and still managed to get the lid on pretty quick. It's going to be interesting going into winter. There's going to be a lot of pressure from the food service industry to increase indoor seating capacity once people are no longer able to endure the cold weather while eating outside.

The guy who got interviewed, what examples did he give of Cuomo failing?

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5171 on: August 28, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »
I haven't seen the interview but I'm assuming he mentioned the nursing home debacle that resulted in a lot of deaths. Speaking as a New Yorker there are a lot of us that aren't a huge fan of how Cuomo is handling things especially since he handled the entire state as if it was all New York City and numbers showed that the vast majority of cases were centered in a very, very tiny cluster of the state area wise. The travel ban is comically bad and he's refusing to lift it even after the CDC recently retracted their 14 day quarantine edict. A lot of us think he was given too much power and are worried because there doesn't seem to be an expiration date on the expanded powers the state government gave him. It's hard to say if New York is in the position it's in currently because of actions taken or if we just got it first and it's sort of fizzling out now as a disease tends to do.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5172 on: August 28, 2020, 10:54:12 AM »

I think it is a mixed bag.  There are aspects that he completely botched.  There are others that he handled very well.  What bothers me a bit is the way he disingenuously deflected from the things that he botched.  But that aside, I think as with the way it was handled anywhere, this thing was so complex, and there was so much unknown, and the scope of it was so big, that I think it is unfair to point to ANY government official and lean on them too heavily for the things they did wrong.  It just is what it is. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5173 on: August 28, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »
The fact that the States were basically left to fend for themselves and the fact that there was no real task force at the federal level only exasperated the challenges the States had, especially if you are a Blue State.

And while it was clear that my State had no disaster plan which is in itself is ridiculous it should piss off every American that the feds threw away the plan they were left with.

So say "it is what it is" but it didn't HAVE to be this way.

Yeah - I know we've already covered this............. :\

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5174 on: August 31, 2020, 09:53:55 AM »
So NJ opened gyms at 25% last week and finally are opening up indoor restaurants at 25% capacity this week.  Our R has been around 0.8 for a couple weeks now.  Most of the "new" deaths being reported are mostly actually old deaths just being accounted for being C19 deaths.  It kind of feels like the state did it's thing with tight restrictions and from being one of the worst areas in the world to one of the best now (when you consider the population density in this state).  While I don't plan on eating indoors (I havent even eaten outdoors) in the near future, it feels like it's about time to start opening more up now and monitor the R to see if it gets worse or if we can keep it low.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5175 on: August 31, 2020, 10:19:43 AM »
https://www.fox35orlando.com/

Under 2K new cases in FL for the first time in ages.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5176 on: August 31, 2020, 10:22:12 AM »
https://www.fox35orlando.com/

Under 2K new cases in FL for the first time in ages.

That's good news!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5177 on: August 31, 2020, 02:10:25 PM »
I'm back in Norway so I switched back to reading their corona news. Just in time for this big hit of a story that's doubtlessly going to hit more than local papers: some kids decided to throw a bunker rave, 200 people decided to show up, and social distancing was so possible and respected in those circumstances that 23 people ended up in the hospital with symptoms of CO2 poisoning. Human stupidity never ceases to amaze me. The weather is nice, invite a couple friends out to a house in the country (every friend group here has one person who has a house in the country), drink outside, play whatever music you want, stay distanced, no one has to know. But no, let's throw inside parties. Fucking ding dongs.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5178 on: August 31, 2020, 02:48:39 PM »
I'm back in Norway so I switched back to reading their corona news. Just in time for this big hit of a story that's doubtlessly going to hit more than local papers: some kids decided to throw a bunker rave, 200 people decided to show up, and social distancing was so possible and respected in those circumstances that 23 people ended up in the hospital with symptoms of CO2 poisoning. Human stupidity never ceases to amaze me. The weather is nice, invite a couple friends out to a house in the country (every friend group here has one person who has a house in the country), drink outside, play whatever music you want, stay distanced, no one has to know. But no, let's throw inside parties. Fucking ding dongs.

Nice to hear that your finally back home, Milena.  That was a long what... 6-7 months??

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5179 on: August 31, 2020, 02:53:03 PM »
Nice to hear that your finally back home, Milena.  That was a long what... 6-7 months??
Almost five, I just took a little break from posting. Had to enter a 10 day quarantine when I came back too, so overall I spent 38 days in govt-mandated quarantine this year  :mehlin going to a place where masks aren't mandatory and no one cares to really wear them was a bit of a shock as well. I bought some more reusable ones and will be wearing them out and about.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise