Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 137394 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #2170 on: September 26, 2023, 11:42:44 AM »
The trick is to introduce and/or protect wolves. In pretty much every region in the US where we've gotten wolf populations to rebound after over-hunting them, roadkill and traffic accidents caused by animals drop by huge factors. It saves states millions of dollars per year in response and repair efforts as well. I think I've read that some counties end up saving something like 30X more than what the wolf conservation efforts cost.

Interestingly enough, the deer count doesn't actually drop all that much. Their behavior changes and they don't spend as much time in open yards, farms, and fields (commonly near roads) because of the predators. They retreat to the woods.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 11:49:56 AM by Chino »

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2171 on: September 26, 2023, 11:44:19 AM »
we introduced wolves in the mountains of CO and it's been going well :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2172 on: September 26, 2023, 11:54:00 AM »
we introduced wolves in the mountains of CO and it's been going well :metal

The cool thing about wolves (K9s in general I guess) is that they can adapt to virtually any environment as long as they have a food source and access to running water. You can put them just about anywhere they won't freeze to death, and they'll find a way to get by. You could take those wolves out of CO and set them loose in the woods near a bayou in Mississippi, and they'd probably do just fine. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2173 on: September 26, 2023, 11:59:39 AM »
Minnesota has the most wolves of any state in the lower 48 and it's for the most part gone pretty well in the northern half of the state. The hunters hate it though because there are fewer deer for them to shoot. My wife's uncles have openly said they shoot wolves when they see them, which is highly illegal. Bizarrely at one point the wolves were taken off the endangered species list since they were doing so well, and there was talk of a wolf hunting season. To me, you hunt either the predators, or the prey, not both. Hunt that one that is overpopulated.

We gotta get rid of all the excess deer up here somehow since we killed off all the predators. It's either hit them with our cars or hunt them.
From what I saw it didn't look to me like hunting them was an option. I drove through OH, MI, IL, and IA a few months back, and the amount of roadkill was simply astonishing. Ohio in particular. You couldn't drive more than a quarter mile without seeing a huge, spinning blood trail across the highway leading to a carcass. I've never seen anything like that shit before. Might be time to skip hunting and go directly to poisoning. Hell, that's probably why Harmony's insurance is going up so much.
Yeah, the roadkill is pretty nuts in the upper midwest. There's a dead deer every few miles. Racoons are even more common.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 12:11:10 PM by lordxizor »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2174 on: September 27, 2023, 02:04:46 PM »
This Covid crap is kicking the shit out of me. 3 days in: completely stuffed nose, cheeks are red and hot but no fever, body aches, coughing up mucus non stop. I'm wondering if its Covid with a side of nasty allergies. Make it stop!!!!!!  >:(

Aaaand... I was supposed to go to Cape Cod for a long weekend with the Mrs.  >:(  :censored

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2175 on: September 27, 2023, 02:28:17 PM »
That sucks Glasser, I hope you feel better soon. I just got over covid from last week and had a lot of the same symptoms.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2176 on: September 27, 2023, 02:49:50 PM »
This Covid crap is kicking the shit out of me. 3 days in: completely stuffed nose, cheeks are red and hot but no fever, body aches, coughing up mucus non stop. I'm wondering if its Covid with a side of nasty allergies. Make it stop!!!!!!  >:(

Aaaand... I was supposed to go to Cape Cod for a long weekend with the Mrs.  >:(  :censored

Damn, that blows mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2177 on: October 02, 2023, 02:35:39 PM »
Seeing/Reading headlines like this a dozen times a year:

"State senator Doug Larsen's death was confirmed Monday in an email that Republican Senate Majority Leader David Hogue sent to his fellow senators. The small plane crashed Sunday evening around 8.30pm after taking off north of Moab. 'Senator Doug Larsen, his wife Amy, and their two young children died in a plane crash last evening in Utah"

I find it extremely selfish to put your kids and even your spouse on one of these small planes that people learn to fly. I get it....it's a hobby and people like to fly....great....then do that at your own peril. This dude just killed his wife and kids and IMO it's just selfish. Fly alone to get your fix. There's absolutely nowhere they were heading they couldn't have gotten to by a car, bus or train that would have been safer, or at minimum had a greater chance of survival if there was a crash.

Those poor kids, led to their death by no choice of their own.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2178 on: October 02, 2023, 02:50:55 PM »
simple darwinism IMO, lol. if people wanna fly dangerous planes or experimental submarines i say let 'em. it's a free country :metal

edit: missed the part about family dying with him. the spouse is a grown person and can make their own decisions, but it sucks to see kids died. hopefully the senator and their spouse enjoy burning in hell for ending their childrens' lives. if i had my way, their estate would be penalized (in whatever way possible/reasonable) for it, but i doubt that will happen
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: October 02, 2023, 03:59:57 PM »
simple darwinism IMO, lol. if people wanna fly dangerous planes or experimental submarines i say let 'em. it's a free country :metal

edit: missed the part about family dying with him. the spouse is a grown person and can make their own decisions, but it sucks to see kids died. hopefully the senator and their spouse enjoy burning in hell for ending their childrens' lives. if i had my way, their estate would be penalized (in whatever way possible/reasonable) for it, but i doubt that will happen

I don't know if I'd go that far with how much this aggravates me....being a Father of three I'm sure the panic and horror that he and his wife shared in the moments before them crashing just thinking of their kids in that moment was worse than any hell they would experience.

I know families do this all the time....people get their pilots license and there are thousands of flights a year by these amateur plots that are successful and we only hear about these tragedies. BUT....it's just so unfair to the kids who are trusting that thier parents are making the best decisions for their safety.

I worked for a guy years ago who had his license and would always ask me to go flying with him. And I always declined. He's never crashed or anything like that but I didn't want to be a headline.....

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2180 on: October 02, 2023, 05:01:45 PM »
I think people are probably overestimating the danger of civilian aviation. Statistics don't really work for comparing it to driving, but it's not some dangerous hobby people get their kicks off of. Much like driving, the safety is with the driver. Shitty drivers get their kids killed all the damn time and we don't rant about it. I know a fair amount about GA accidents, and 9 times out of 10 they happen because somebody makes a bad decision. Usually one that gets them in over their head.

I worked for a guy years ago who had his license and would always ask me to go flying with him. And I always declined. He's never crashed or anything like that but I didn't want to be a headline.....

I've considered this quite a bit, and my stance is that I'll fly with somebody if he was/is a military or commercial airline pilot. If it's somebody that learned on his own I'm a hard pass. The difference is that the former guys were trained to not make decisions on their own, but to follow basic guidelines. You either have enough fuel or you don't take off. The landing conditions are either good for your aircraft or you don't try to land. Things are either working alright or you declare an emergency and get on the ground. There's no questioning your decisions. Amateurs tend to try to rationalize things and that's how people crash their aircraft.

In this case, Larsen was a Lt. Colonel for the NG, and was in charge of an air wing. Safe bet he was a military pilot with a whole lot of flying hours, and flying his Apache/Aztec was probably as natural to him as driving a car is to either of us. This isn't a guy likely to make stupid decisions, and in and of itself simply flying your family to visit the folks isn't one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2181 on: October 02, 2023, 05:32:38 PM »
I think people are probably overestimating the danger of civilian aviation. Statistics don't really work for comparing it to driving, but it's not some dangerous hobby people get their kicks off of. Much like driving, the safety is with the driver. Shitty drivers get their kids killed all the damn time and we don't rant about it. I know a fair amount about GA accidents, and 9 times out of 10 they happen because somebody makes a bad decision. Usually one that gets them in over their head.

I've considered this quite a bit, and my stance is that I'll fly with somebody if he was/is a military or commercial airline pilot. If it's somebody that learned on his own I'm a hard pass. The difference is that the former guys were trained to not make decisions on their own, but to follow basic guidelines. You either have enough fuel or you don't take off. The landing conditions are either good for your aircraft or you don't try to land. Things are either working alright or you declare an emergency and get on the ground. There's no questioning your decisions. Amateurs tend to try to rationalize things and that's how people crash their aircraft.

In this case, Larsen was a Lt. Colonel for the NG, and was in charge of an air wing. Safe bet he was a military pilot with a whole lot of flying hours, and flying his Apache/Aztec was probably as natural to him as driving a car is to either of us. This isn't a guy likely to make stupid decisions, and in and of itself simply flying your family to visit the folks isn't one.

I considered that and obviously that is probably the reason why he thought it was not big deal to load his family in and go. I just go back to the 'if' there is a failure or whatever the chances of survival are so bad in craft like that....I don't know that I'd put my kids in that situation.

Totally understand that it's not a fair comparison to driving....but....like I said....I just see it as there is a better chance of survival 'if' there is an accident. Maybe I'm just being sensitive to it thinking about those kids as the plane went down.....and the parents.....the sheer horror when the moment of realization hit that they were all going to die. ugh.....

And, my old boss was just a wealthy guy who owned a leather furniture and garment repair shop who did it as a hobby. There was zero chance I was climb into aboard that plane he flew. I don't recall the make/model of it as this was circa 2003 but it was a single prop plane....and those things are always on the news about crashing into some farm field or something.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2182 on: October 02, 2023, 06:17:56 PM »

I considered that and obviously that is probably the reason why he thought it was not big deal to load his family in and go. I just go back to the 'if' there is a failure or whatever the chances of survival are so bad in craft like that....I don't know that I'd put my kids in that situation.

Totally understand that it's not a fair comparison to driving....but....like I said....I just see it as there is a better chance of survival 'if' there is an accident. Maybe I'm just being sensitive to it thinking about those kids as the plane went down.....and the parents.....the sheer horror when the moment of realization hit that they were all going to die. ugh.....

And, my old boss was just a wealthy guy who owned a leather furniture and garment repair shop who did it as a hobby. There was zero chance I was climb into aboard that plane he flew. I don't recall the make/model of it as this was circa 2003 but it was a single prop plane....and those things are always on the news about crashing into some farm field or something.
Odds of surviving a light air crash are surprisingly high. That dude's family were definitely the exception and not the rule. And considering the speeds even light aircraft operate at that's quite remarkable. His Piper had a cruise speed of 172, and won't be going slower than ~85 unless it's on the ground, yet the odds of dying after a crash are quite low. The other thing is that aircraft like that like to stay in the air. So long as you have altitude to work with your odds of being in a crash, as opposed to an ugly landing, are pretty low. Things just went bad for him very immediately after taking off, so he didn't have that altitude.

For what it's worth, either of the two most likely scenarios mean that the amount of time from the first "uh-oh" to them smashing into the forest was probably a few seconds, tops. There wasn't much terror onboard that plane, if any at all.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2183 on: October 02, 2023, 06:19:59 PM »
Gary, I appreciate the family sentiment of what you're saying. It's your responsibility to keep them safe. I get it.

I didn't get on a plane for years and put my family through dozens of auto trips to Florida, and I often wondered if, despite my fear of flying, if I was doing the "right" thing, as we would walk into some strange rest area bathroom with the kids.

It's funny, because I used to say, WTF is the plane goes down, and my wife always had the same response, at least we'll be together...WUT? That's no consolation.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2184 on: October 02, 2023, 06:22:50 PM »
Gary, I appreciate the family sentiment of what you're saying. It's your responsibility to keep them safe. I get it.

I didn't get on a plane for years and put my family through dozens of auto trips to Florida, and I often wondered if, despite my fear of flying, if I was doing the "right" thing, as we would walk into some strange rest area bathroom with the kids.

It's funny, because I used to say, WTF is the plane goes down, and my wife always had the same response, at least we'll be together...WUT? That's no consolation.  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2185 on: October 02, 2023, 06:24:20 PM »

I NEVER TOSS OFF! NEVER!   :rollin
E.F. Benson

Offline coz

« Reply #2186 on: October 02, 2023, 08:10:05 PM »

I NEVER TOSS OFF! NEVER!   :rollin
I kid you not, I was going to post the same exact thing!
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2187 on: October 02, 2023, 08:11:21 PM »
I don't get it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #2188 on: October 02, 2023, 09:30:45 PM »
I don't get it.

They're referring to this scene from the movie Weird Science

https://youtu.be/R-7gOI74-IQ?si=zTas6lLqtgiF3a9H&t=135
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2189 on: October 03, 2023, 04:50:25 AM »
OK. I've never seen it, which is weird because the 80's was my time.

Not sure how it relates to what I posted though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2190 on: October 03, 2023, 05:21:22 AM »
Tim right now.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2191 on: October 03, 2023, 07:05:46 AM »
Not sure why I picked the TMZ article, but Russ Francis.

Also, 100% agree with El Barto about the "military/commercial" pilot training.  I have two friends that fly to Block Island occasionally; one is a civilian pilot, the other a Colonel who retired a General in the Air Force that flew A-10s in combat.  I've only flown to BI twice despite being there 100's of times and you can guess who flew me both times.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2192 on: October 03, 2023, 08:14:49 AM »
I'm not getting in a small civilian aircraft unless I need to.  A coworker of mine offered to give me a fly out in Denver since there's a small airport he can take his plane to next to where I'd go to work, but I declined.  Not just for safety, I just don't feel very comfortable being in a small aircraft in general.  I don't think I'd find any joy in that.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2193 on: October 03, 2023, 08:25:54 AM »
Yep. Unless it's life or death, I'm not getting airborne in a single-engine aircraft.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2194 on: October 03, 2023, 08:59:03 AM »
In my case, I've spent so much time learning what causes plane crashes that I know what the risks are, and in light aircraft the number one risk by far is a cavalier attitude. With the right pilot there's just not much danger. With the right pilot even external factors (maintenance, weather) are largely mitigated. And this isn't to say that civilian pilots cannot be good and diligent, I'm sure most are, but the military and commercial airlines not only weed out the cowboys (at least after Fairchild), but they drill a certain procedural mentality into their pilots.

There's a reason I could never have been a pilot. I don't do procedure. In fact procedure tends to really piss me off. I'm always looking for the better way, and in certain professions that makes people dead before their time. The difference between a good pilot and a bad one is that the latter knows in his head all of the things to do, and the former takes the time to confirm that they've been done before even thinking about getting off the ground. 

As for the congressman, my way too early, amateurish opinion is that fatigue is likely what did them in. I think he crunched some numbers wrong, partly due to having just made a somewhat long flight, and partly due to go-fever. As is so often the case, this will probably come down to bad decision making.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2195 on: October 03, 2023, 09:42:15 AM »
How would you guys feel about getting on a boat and travelling the ocean?

Life has risks and a lot of us are willing to take those risks to enjoy Flying, Driving, Boating.

It's just really unfortunate for that congressman he ended up crashing. Same goes for Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly, and also Kobe Bryant.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2196 on: October 03, 2023, 09:59:13 AM »

Life has risks and a lot of us are willing to take those risks to enjoy Flying, Driving, Boating.

It's just really unfortunate for that congressman he ended up crashing. Same goes for Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly, and also Kobe Bryant.
As with all things you weigh the risk vs the reward. I'd probably pass on the ocean tour just because I'm a landlubber and the sea holds little appeal to me. Neither does catching giant fish. If I were the sort that got off on deep sea fishing or exploring remote islands then the risk would probably be worth it. In this case, between flying the wife and kids to visit the folks vs spending an entire day and tons of dough flying commercial, the risk might be worth the reward. If they weren't all corpses now they'd probably look back quite fondly on these trips, and that actually adds quite a bit to the reward tally.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2197 on: October 03, 2023, 10:04:28 AM »
I have no interest in going across an ocean in a boat.  I dont know, but my gut tells me that's fairly safe, but sea sickness is an issue for me. Once again, I just see nothing fun about doing such a thing so I won't unless it's a necessity.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2198 on: October 03, 2023, 11:47:07 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2199 on: October 03, 2023, 12:20:36 PM »
No thank you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2200 on: October 03, 2023, 02:56:01 PM »
No thank you.

This is something I've always wanted to do. I love watching youtube videos of people traveling across the ocean in a sailboat.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #2201 on: October 03, 2023, 06:22:46 PM »
there is a gratuitously large spider just hanging suspended in the middle of my bathroom and i am a baby back bitch and don't want to deal with it but need to shower
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #2202 on: October 03, 2023, 06:49:55 PM »
Aerosol can + Lighter + Good aim = Problem solved

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2203 on: October 03, 2023, 06:59:26 PM »
Aerosol can and lighter is never a good idea.  :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #2204 on: October 03, 2023, 07:03:16 PM »
Sounds like someone doesn’t have good aim