Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 124195 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #1995 on: August 20, 2023, 07:40:23 AM »
So..I'm on vacation and we went out for dinner the other night. When the waitress came, I asked for a beer list. She pointed to a card on the table and said if I scam the square code thingy, I could access the list.
I was like, well, I want to be able to see the whole list, and again, she says that I'll see the whole list if I scan the thing. So I finally say, you don't have an actual printed beer list that I can hold and look at??
She says sure, let me get that for you..

What in the fucking fuck? I don't fucking scan any codes on my phone. That's fucked! Why the hell can't I just hold the beer menu with my hands so I can see it all clearly. Why would I want to squint my eyes to view it on my phone, having to try and enlarge the smaller print, viewing only a couple of choices at a time on a beer menu that had easily over 50 choices?

Fuck you and your codes!

I'm glad I keep reading after Tim's post because I was going literally post the same picture replay :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1996 on: August 20, 2023, 07:48:45 AM »
I'm OK with a qr code for a beer list since those change frequently. I've been more annoyed by looking at the printed list and having the server tell me they're out of a few. QR code for the main menu is BS and should never happen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1997 on: August 20, 2023, 07:54:54 AM »
For my health, I basically stopped drinking cold turkey at the beginning of this year, with a few exceptions. I'm not an alcoholic, so I can have a beer and not worry. I'd earmarked this vacation to have a few, and even still, I'm about at 20% of what I'd usually drink on a trip like this. Part of the beer experience for me was looking at a big list, reading about them, and choosing one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1998 on: August 20, 2023, 12:59:10 PM »
So..I'm on vacation and we went out for dinner the other night. When the waitress came, I asked for a beer list. She pointed to a card on the table and said if I scam the square code thingy, I could access the list.
I was like, well, I want to be able to see the whole list, and again, she says that I'll see the whole list if I scan the thing. So I finally say, you don't have an actual printed beer list that I can hold and look at??
She says sure, let me get that for you..

What in the fucking fuck? I don't fucking scan any codes on my phone. That's fucked! Why the hell can't I just hold the beer menu with my hands so I can see it all clearly. Why would I want to squint my eyes to view it on my phone, having to try and enlarge the smaller print, viewing only a couple of choices at a time on a beer menu that had easily over 50 choices?

Fuck you and your codes!

:lol
I second, Fuck you and your codes. Its just how they are trained these days, lazy. Put her in a Friendly's in 1985 and see how she survives.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1999 on: August 20, 2023, 02:34:22 PM »
Im with Tim.  I never use the QR code shit.  All the time when I'm looking at something and then it goes, scan the code for more info, nah fuck that.

We live through our devices these days, I hate the way it's going.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2000 on: August 20, 2023, 04:37:04 PM »
  All the time when I'm looking at something and then it goes, scan the code for more info, nah fuck that.

So much this!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: August 20, 2023, 04:41:52 PM »
  All the time when I'm looking at something and then it goes, scan the code for more info, nah fuck that.

So much this!

I just don't get it. If it's a flyer or a handout or whatever, why can't the info be on that flyer instead of a fucking square that I have to get my phone out and dick around trying to scan it for a pop up?!  Just tell me on the fucking flyer!!!!

It's kinda good because this sort of dumb shit makes me realise that what I'm looking at or whatever, when it says scan the code and I say, 'nope, too much effort, fuck that,' I wasn't all that interested or could give a fuck anyway.  Happy to move on.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2002 on: August 20, 2023, 04:49:08 PM »
Unfortunately,  some restaurants no longer have menu's to hand out. Many did this during covid and decided to stay with it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2003 on: August 20, 2023, 04:50:05 PM »
Unfortunately,  some restaurants no longer have menu's to hand out. Many did this during covid and decided to stay with it.

Fuck them then.

They have them but you have to ask.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2004 on: August 20, 2023, 04:52:30 PM »

If I wasn't scanning the QR code when COVID was rampant to check in at every fucking place I went, restaurants have no fucking hope me scanning their fucking menu.  I'll go somewhere where we can walk up, look and the menu and decide if it's the type of food we want to eat.  Not sitting down, having to scan a code then go, 'this food is fucked, I don't want any of this.'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: August 20, 2023, 04:55:06 PM »
There are only a few places I like that do it. The food snd beer are too good not to go there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2006 on: August 20, 2023, 07:13:23 PM »
At HNL a few weeks back was my first experience with doing all the restaurant ordering via the web, and I gotta say... I didn't hate it. I am not a fan of the 'Scan the code for the menu' nonsense, but being able to order everything on my phone was a pleasant experience. Anything that minimizes how much I have to interact with other humans is something I am usually in favor of.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2007 on: August 20, 2023, 07:26:32 PM »
What's HNL, and I would never order my meal on my phone.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: August 20, 2023, 07:32:18 PM »
What's HNL, and I would never order my meal on my phone.

Why?  What's so wrong about it?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2009 on: August 20, 2023, 07:35:27 PM »
Because to me, it deletes the whole purpose of going out to eat. I want to sit down and be waited on.
If it's a walk up thing, I want to place my order to a human. I don't want to take my tiny phone screen and do that shit.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: August 20, 2023, 07:39:36 PM »
I get that.  But, there is maybe 5% that does this. It isn't an epidemic. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2011 on: August 20, 2023, 07:42:18 PM »

Well, I've not really come across it, but if I did, I wouldn't do it.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2012 on: August 20, 2023, 08:10:17 PM »
I appreciate the phone option because sometimes the lighting in places is so dark I can't even read the menu.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2013 on: August 20, 2023, 08:12:11 PM »
Then I'd use the flashlight app on my phone. ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2014 on: August 20, 2023, 08:23:59 PM »

You old bastard. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2015 on: August 20, 2023, 08:53:09 PM »

Fair but seems over time we will see more and more of this type of thing.

I just don't like if they have to take details and shit.  I mean, if I order, the staff don't need to know a thing about me.  I pay and it's like I was never there, especially when I pay with cash.  Doing apps and scanning just traps you a bit I feel and then they have more or potentially more info than they need to.  Maybe it's not like that, I dunno.

It's a me thing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2016 on: August 20, 2023, 09:12:35 PM »
Because to me, it deletes the whole purpose of going out to eat. I want to sit down and be waited on.

HNL is Honolulu airport.

Being waited on is the least important aspect of going out to eat for me, so ordering via cell phone does not impact the enjoyment of the experience in any noticeable way for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: August 21, 2023, 03:48:10 AM »

HNL is Honolulu airport.

Being waited on is the least important aspect of going out to eat for me, so ordering via cell phone does not impact the enjoyment of the experience in any noticeable way for me.

I can understand that but what if the meal is fucked and needs to go back?  Do you just carry it up to the counter instead of hailing a waiter?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: August 21, 2023, 04:35:47 AM »
There are still waitresses.   You just get the menu on your phone and you still place your order with the waitress. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 04:55:35 AM by Kinger »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2019 on: August 21, 2023, 04:37:51 AM »
Huh.......I still don't really get the point but....meh.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2020 on: August 21, 2023, 06:34:09 AM »
Main benefits I see are akin to less waste. The restaurant no longer needs to print a new menu or maintain a stack of them. The staff no longer has to clean them after every use. There is less contact. I think the rise in this method was due to Covid in the beginning.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2021 on: August 21, 2023, 06:38:17 AM »
Main benefits I see are akin to less waste. The restaurant no longer needs to print a new menu or maintain a stack of them. The staff no longer has to clean them after every use. There is less contact. I think the rise in this method was due to Covid in the beginning.

Of course.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: August 21, 2023, 06:40:44 AM »

Gotta ask Mrs. Tac for the readers first...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2023 on: August 21, 2023, 06:54:25 AM »
I'm with TAC 1000% on this.  I do not like the scanning for the menu, and I do not like the ordering by my phone.   it was bad enough when Friendly's put those whatever you call them's on the table that you could order from and pay through.   

It's not about technology; it's about the experience of dining out.  I LIKE talking to the servers, I LIKE looking at the menu, I LIKE the ordering... what's the point otherwise?  I might as well stay home and order through DoorDash or whatever.

And don't get me started on the tipping!  I'm not tipping 20% for the pleasure of having my family spend even MORE time with their faces buried in their phones...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2024 on: August 21, 2023, 10:13:50 AM »
I"m also not a fan of the QR codes.  I like a physical menu when I eat out. I understand why they became a thing, but most places have gone back to real menus.  The ones that haven't actually do piss me off a bit.

I think the waiter service itself is more important or not depending on where you are eating out.  Applebees? I've got no issue ordering on my phone or the kiosk thing they may have at the table.  Going to a nice restuarant with my gf, I would like nice service as it's part of the experience of dining out.   

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2025 on: August 21, 2023, 11:35:20 AM »
If it's a walk up thing, I want to place my order to a human. I don't want to take my tiny phone screen and do that shit.

THIS! And tipping has become ridiculous and they do less and are not very friendly. A lot of waiters and waitresses look absolutely miserable, almost annoyed you're there. Sad man.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2026 on: August 21, 2023, 11:45:41 AM »
I agree about waiters and waitresses being there to serve you and answer any questions you might have.  But those haven't disappeared from any restaurant I've been to.

I see no real difference between reading a printed menu and reading an electronic menu.  It's just absorbing data written on a surface through my eyes.  I absolutely see how it's more cost effective and efficient for the restaurant to use the electronic menu.

I haven't been to any restaurants that have done away completely with the printed menus, but I've certainly been to some that only bring them out if requested.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: August 21, 2023, 11:56:19 AM »
Same for me, Hef. They still have waiters to take your order, bring your food.

The only issue I have is the Queen can't seem to bring them up on her phone. I told her she's just cursed with technology.  Lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2028 on: August 21, 2023, 01:06:19 PM »
Maybe it's me, but I like to have that 60 minutes without phones. Without tech.  With some normal interaction, where the waiter gives the specials or whatever, I can point to the menu and say "can I get that with onions instead of mushrooms", or whatever.   I don't know; I don't need MORE chances to absorb blue light, I need LESS.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2029 on: August 21, 2023, 01:28:23 PM »
I don't like the menu-less QR code scan things at restaurants either.  That said, menus are often filthy/germ ridden pieces of plastic.  I wonder if that is a consideration since Covid made all of us a bit more aware of how people contract viruses and other illnesses?  Not many people order, then get up and go wash their hands before the meal arrives.

https://www.mashed.com/209890/heres-how-dirty-restaurant-menus-really-are/

That link also brings up one of my huge pet peeves at restaurants and that is silverware placed directly on the table.  Ick
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad