Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 124054 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #2065 on: August 24, 2023, 06:07:59 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2066 on: August 24, 2023, 06:11:17 PM »
Last year I lost my sense of taste for a 36 hour period. Disappeared and returned out of the blue. Weird as hell.

Your dislike of Winger and Power Windows suggests you've lost your sense of taste a lot longer than a 36 hour period.  ;D

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2067 on: August 24, 2023, 06:14:43 PM »
 :lol :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2068 on: August 24, 2023, 06:17:15 PM »
I needed a good laugh. Can always count on TAC and wolf to come through. That genuinely got a good chuckle out of me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2069 on: August 24, 2023, 07:00:31 PM »
I needed a good laugh. Can always count on TAC and wolf to come through. That genuinely got a good chuckle out of me.

We're here all week! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2070 on: August 25, 2023, 05:00:02 AM »

We're here all week! ;D

:metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2071 on: August 25, 2023, 05:21:56 AM »
Last year I lost my sense of taste for a 36 hour period. Disappeared and returned out of the blue. Weird as hell.

Your dislike of Winger and Power Windows suggests you've lost your sense of taste a lot longer than a 36 hour period.  ;D

:lol that's a good one!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2072 on: August 25, 2023, 02:54:09 PM »
So...air travel..

I don't know how you people that travel for work do it. I get on a plane once, maybe twice every twelve months, and we've had pretty decent experiences. The last two years, we've experienced 4 hour delays on each of hour tips home, with last year being stuck on the plane for 3 hours.

So we had a 7:00am flight on Jetblue out of Boston last Wednesday to Orlando. Went to bed at 10pm the night before. We took an express shuttle to the airport, and as we're about to get off the bus, I open my email on my phone to get the flight info. Apparently at 10:40pm, we got an email saying our flight was...cancelled! An hour later we got our reroute. 8AM to DC and then a layover and then at 8 fucking PM to Orlando to land at 10:30 PM. WUT?? A 10+ hour layover in DC.
I purposely never buy connecting flights. I only want to go up and down once.

We go to the counter to see WTF we can do. We look at all other flights to Florida. There's another one to Orlando but it's much later in the day and it's full. OK, how about Jacksonville? Nope, only three seats left, and there's four of us.
OK, there's a flight to Ft Myers. 4 seats left. Bingo, we'll take it. So she reserves the seats, but before she can check us in, she has to call some central location to back us out of the other two flights they put us on. Well, the first person she spoke with fucked it up, but after 45 minutes at her counter (after 45 minutes in line), she resolved it and we were clear. That flight left at 7:55 and we still barely made it.

I called Hertz and said we'd get the rental at FT. Myers instead of Orlando, and while it costs a couple extra hundred dollars, whatever. So we had to make the 2.5-3 hour drive to Orlando. Got there at 3:00, which was still better than having 5 hours left to wait in DC.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2073 on: August 25, 2023, 02:58:11 PM »
So...air travel..

I don't know how you people that travel for work do it. I get on a plane once, maybe twice every twelve months, and we've had pretty decent experiences. The last two years, we've experienced 4 hour delays on each of hour tips home, with last year being stuck on the plane for 3 hours.

So we had a 7:00am flight on Jetblue out of Boston last Wednesday to Orlando. Went to bed at 10pm the night before. We took an express shuttle to the airport, and as we're about to get off the bus, I open my email on my phone to get the flight info. Apparently at 10:40pm, we got an email saying our flight was...cancelled! An hour later we got our reroute. 8AM to DC and then a layover and then at 8 fucking PM to Orlando to land at 10:30 PM. WUT?? A 10+ hour layover in DC.

We go to the counter to see WTF we can do. We look at all other flights to Florida. There's another one to Orlando but it's much later in the day and it's full. OK, how about Jacksonville? Nope, only three seats left, and there's four of us.
OK, there's a flight to Ft Myers. 4 seats left. Bingo, we'll take it. So she reserves the seats, but before she can check us in, she has to call some central location to back us out of the other two flights they put us on. Well, the first person she spoke with fucked it up, but after 45 minutes at her counter (after 45 minutes in line), she resolved it and we were clear. That flight left at 7:55 and we still barely made it.

I called Hertz and said we'd get the rental at FT. Myers instead of Orlando, and while it costs a couple extra hundred dollars, whatever. So we had to make the 2.5-3 hour drive to Orlando. Got there at 3:00, which was still better than having 5 hours left to wait in DC.

Deleted.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 07:33:49 PM by Glasser »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2074 on: August 25, 2023, 03:01:03 PM »
Just realized I have no sense of taste and smell now. Makes eating very unfullfilling. Didn't happen my first time with Covid but happened to both my kids. This really sucks.
For what it's worth, mine came back after a night's sleep. I couldn't smell my jar of coffee or 93% Iso before I crashed. Scared the hell out of me. When I woke up I was able to thoroughly enjoy my morning coffee.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2075 on: August 25, 2023, 03:10:01 PM »
Just realized I have no sense of taste and smell now. Makes eating very unfullfilling. Didn't happen my first time with Covid but happened to both my kids. This really sucks.
For what it's worth, mine came back after a night's sleep. I couldn't smell my jar of coffee or 93% Iso before I crashed. Scared the hell out of me. When I woke up I was able to thoroughly enjoy my morning coffee.

Still nothing so far today. Was just over at the forum on The Warning's Patreon and there is a thread about a mass breakout of Covid from the Chicago show. Yeah, no kidding. Sounds like everyone who did the meet and greet got it. I wanted to do it, but tickets sold out too quick. Just like me, everyone started getting sick on Monday. I feel mostly fine now, just tired still. Nose is still an issue and a small lingering headache. The taste/smell thing has me really pissed.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2076 on: August 25, 2023, 03:12:59 PM »
So...air travel..

Yeah, didn't have to get beyond Jetblue to understand your problem. They're in the bottom three US airlines for good reason.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2077 on: August 25, 2023, 03:14:25 PM »

Still nothing so far today. Was just over at the forum on The Warning's Patreon and there is a thread about a mass breakout of Covid from the Chicago show. Yeah, no kidding. Sounds like everyone who did the meet and greet got it. I wanted to do it, but tickets sold out too quick. Just like me, everyone started getting sick on Monday. I feel mostly fine now, just tired still. Nose is still an issue and a small lingering headache. The taste/smell thing has me really pissed.
That sucks. The smell/taste thing is what scares me the most. Good luck with that.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2078 on: August 25, 2023, 03:36:22 PM »
Yeah, didn't have to get beyond Jetblue to understand your problem. They're in the bottom three US airlines for good reason.

Yeah, as you know, I'm not a huge fan of flying, though I am much better. We had used Jetblue and we were quite happy with them honestly. Since it worked, I was hesitant to switch.

We had a delay coming home on the last two trips which definitely sucked.

I have no clue why our flight was cancelled. It's just I'm literally stepping in a plane once in 2023 and the one flight out of the millions others is cancelled.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2079 on: August 25, 2023, 04:59:51 PM »

Yeah, as you know, I'm not a huge fan of flying, though I am much better. We had used Jetblue and we were quite happy with them honestly. Since it worked, I was hesitant to switch.

We had a delay coming home on the last two trips which definitely sucked.

I have no clue why our flight was cancelled. It's just I'm literally stepping in a plane once in 2023 and the one flight out of the millions others is cancelled.
The list of reasons why flights get cancelled is a mile long. Maybe the pilot of a flight out of Nebraska had a flare up of syphilis the night before, causing a plane heading out of California to be delayed, which made the standby pilot at your airport unable to cover for your scheduled pilot when he went past his flight hours. Or, maybe they just didn't sell enough seats. There are a gazillion possible explanations, many of them quite valid. One of the good things about flying the big boys is that they can absorb disruption far better than the little guys, and because so many of their pax are business travelers it's in their best interest to do so. American and Delta can have a new crew or a new plane pretty much anywhere in a couple of hours, and at a major airports they're probably already on hand.

As for flight delays, they happen. You just hope they're short and you haven't already boarded. I find airports interesting, so I'm usually alright with just exploring for a while. I suspect that is another area where bigger carriers do better than smaller ones, though. Because AA hubs out of DFW I fly them almost exclusively, and the disruptions are usually pretty reasonable. My plane might be an hour late arriving, but these things happen.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2080 on: August 25, 2023, 05:02:23 PM »
The list of reasons why flights get cancelled is a mile long. Maybe the pilot of a flight out of Nebraska had a flare up of syphilis the night before, causing a plane heading out of California to be delayed, which made the standby pilot at your airport unable to cover for your scheduled pilot when he went past his flight hours. Or, maybe they just didn't sell enough seats. There are a gazillion possible explanations, many of them quite valid.

Oh yeah, I get it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2081 on: August 26, 2023, 03:00:03 AM »
Nothing worse than huge flight delays.  I've only had a cancellation once, it was pretty nightmarish but at least it was at my home airport on a business trip so I effectively got paid like 10 hours for doing nothing and I got to go back home and sleep in my bed before flying out the next day.  One good thing about work travel is we use a travel agency so if there's any issues, I call them and they do all the work.  I don't have to wait at the counter.  And since I travel so much, I currently have United 1k status (their highest, and Im not projected to keep it this year at this point which makes me sad), if I did have to go to the counter, I'd likely get special service. 

My flight home from Singapore earlier this year year was a nightmare, like a 6 hour delay in my layover in San Fran but what made it so bad was I had just done the long haul flight from Singapore to SF and when I got off that plane my head was pure mush from the jet lag.  They even let us board the plane after a few hours and I was able to get into my seat and I fell asleep for about 15 minutes before they made us unboard.  At that point, I thought death was the better way out.

If I'm being honest though, I think major flight disruptions are around 10% of the flights I take.  Some disruption at 50% and maybe 50% are perfectly fine flights.  There's just so many variables.  One thing for me, I like to book the early morning flights if possible.  I feel those are less likely to have issues.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2082 on: August 27, 2023, 11:09:11 AM »
My wife just tested positive for covid now. This is not good. She already has bad lungs due to COPD and she's never smoked. Now she has covid. She's already way sicker with it than I was at my worst. This just sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2083 on: August 27, 2023, 11:14:55 AM »
I'm so sorry man. That sucks. Keep an eye on her.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2084 on: August 27, 2023, 11:27:10 AM »
My wife just tested positive for covid now. This is not good. She already has bad lungs due to COPD and she's never smoked. Now she has covid. She's already way sicker with it than I was at my worst. This just sucks.

Ugh.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2085 on: August 27, 2023, 09:26:09 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that Professor. I hope she gets well soon! :heart

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2086 on: August 28, 2023, 09:28:05 AM »
Thanks everyone. This has been an eye opening experience for me. I was already debating my concert going future due to the pain from my old injuries, but this has me thinking the decision might be made for me. I can't risk my wife's health for something like this. I leave a standing show in immense pain but I do it for the music. With covid constantly evolving, not sure it is worth the risk anymore.

I retested yesterday and am still positive and I still have no taste or smell. Really hope I get it back.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2087 on: August 28, 2023, 09:51:15 AM »
Thanks everyone. This has been an eye opening experience for me. I was already debating my concert going future due to the pain from my old injuries, but this has me thinking the decision might be made for me. I can't risk my wife's health for something like this. I leave a standing show in immense pain but I do it for the music. With covid constantly evolving, not sure it is worth the risk anymore.

I retested yesterday and am still positive and I still have no taste or smell. Really hope I get it back.
Has the missus turned the corner?
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2088 on: August 28, 2023, 10:10:30 AM »

Has the missus turned the corner?

So far, she is doing okay, considering. She is much sicker than I was but her breathing has been mostly unaffected so I take that as a very good sign. She just got past a recent lung infection that she finished treatment for just before the covid hit so I'm hoping the steriods and other meds she was on might have helped a bit. No way of knowing really. It just has my stress level elevated.

The only real positive I can glean from this is that I am losing weight. With no ability to enjoy food and drink, I am doing just enough to stave off any hunger pain and eating the simplest, blandest, most filling foods to satify my stomach. Still, don't want this to go on too much longer.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2089 on: August 28, 2023, 01:29:36 PM »

Its very sobering to read this. I'm so sorry you and your wife are going through this, its such a helpless situation and all you can do it wait it out. And the sad thing is this is not an age thing. There are a lot of young and "healthy" people getting severely affected by all of this. My heart goes out to you both.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2090 on: August 30, 2023, 12:06:40 PM »
Well, my nose is starting to work again. I am picking up scents. Not perfect, but a very good sign. This last week has sucked. I don't recommend losing you senses of taste and smell.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2091 on: August 30, 2023, 12:35:07 PM »
Well, my nose is starting to work again. I am picking up scents. Not perfect, but a very good sign. This last week has sucked. I don't recommend losing you senses of taste and smell.
Glad to hear it. Enjoying my morning coffee after mine petered out was incredibly, well, joyful.
E.F. Benson

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #2092 on: August 30, 2023, 10:55:59 PM »
Ugh, dealing with constant internet outages is beyond frustrating! Just when you're in the middle of something important, everything comes crashing down🙄.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2093 on: August 31, 2023, 07:46:30 AM »
My nose stopped working again. Had it for all of about 7 hours yesterday. I'm finally covid negative, just need my nose to straighten itself out.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2094 on: August 31, 2023, 08:20:26 AM »
if i may be frank, the scenes from a hat thread pissed me off today  >:( :censored not gonna keep talking about it but just venting. really sucks to see that shit in what should be a safe space to discuss dream theater, prog, and other cool stuff!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2095 on: August 31, 2023, 08:34:40 AM »
Hey Professor - glad you are testing negative but sorry about the olfactory set back.  Hope that turns around again soon.

if i may be frank, the scenes from a hat thread pissed me off today  >:( :censored not gonna keep talking about it but just venting. really sucks to see that shit in what should be a safe space to discuss dream theater, prog, and other cool stuff!

As one of the few female posters here, I'd certainly welcome your participation in the P&R section of the board (you need to request permission to enter).  We have several threads there that may interest you.  And I for one, welcome the perspective of people who are working on their own relationship with misogyny and/or patriarchy.  It does impact all of us whether we want it to or not...many times is ways we are not even aware of all those internalized beliefs that have become normalized over our lifetimes.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2096 on: August 31, 2023, 08:51:41 AM »
My nose stopped working again. Had it for all of about 7 hours yesterday. I'm finally covid negative, just need my nose to straighten itself out.
I hope you get it back quick.

My partner tested positive for Covid last October, and she lost her sense of taste and got it back just in time for Thanksgiving. She loves coffee and she couldn't have it for a good 3 months even after recovering her sense of taste. I hope you get it back much sooner than that.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2097 on: August 31, 2023, 09:53:14 AM »
Hey Professor - glad you are testing negative but sorry about the olfactory set back.  Hope that turns around again soon.

As one of the few female posters here, I'd certainly welcome your participation in the P&R section of the board (you need to request permission to enter).  We have several threads there that may interest you.  And I for one, welcome the perspective of people who are working on their own relationship with misogyny and/or patriarchy.  It does impact all of us whether we want it to or not...many times is ways we are not even aware of all those internalized beliefs that have become normalized over our lifetimes.

thank you for your support and welcome invitation! i think i'd like to get a little more familiarized with things here before i dive in on that area, but i appreciate you reaching out!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2098 on: September 01, 2023, 11:10:48 AM »
Absolutely thrilled by the impasse between Disney and Spectrum, right here at the start of football season.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2099 on: September 01, 2023, 12:16:14 PM »
My own inability to focus on virtual training meetings. I find myself at best, responding to work emails, or at worst, posting here.