Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 124273 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #2030 on: August 21, 2023, 01:58:26 PM »
No doubt the menus are filthy, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to stop using them  Next we don't touch doors? Understandable during covid, but I think it's fairly safe so it really shouldn't be because of germs. Our phones are also filthy. 

Maybe it's me, but I like to have that 60 minutes without phones. Without tech.  With some normal interaction, where the waiter gives the specials or whatever, I can point to the menu and say "can I get that with onions instead of mushrooms", or whatever.   I don't know; I don't need MORE chances to absorb blue light, I need LESS.

While I don't necessarily enjoy 60 minutes without my phone (I admit, I'm on mine a lot) I totally get what you are saying and agree.  If you are out with people, forcing everyone to use their phone is not very social and that's a big part of eating out. Also, I enjoy hearing the specials too.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2031 on: August 21, 2023, 02:35:02 PM »
I'll still ask for a proper menu, and most of the times they'll give me one. They might say "anything involving X is off the menu right now," but they've usually still got the old ones. The problem is that, like all sensible people, I want to be able to compare items. Twenty items on a page makes that easy to do. Scrolling by 4 items at a time doesn't work.

I've only been to one place that expected you to order by phone, and that was in Chicago. When I refused the chap said "that's OK, I'll take care of it for you."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2032 on: August 21, 2023, 04:53:54 PM »
No doubt the menus are filthy, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to stop using them  Next we don't touch doors? Understandable during covid, but I think it's fairly safe so it really shouldn't be because of germs. Our phones are also filthy. 

Some more than others, I'd say.  And not to belabor the point, I'd be fine with handling my own germs rather than the germs of 200 previous patrons' hands.  Maybe that's just me.   ;)

I worked for Red Robin in the late 80s and as part of our server duties we had to deep clean things like doorknobs and menus.  Let's just say, not every employee put their all into these procedures.   :-X

I honestly can't recall if QR codes were being used a ton before the pandemic.  In my mind, it was something that flourished during Covid like Zoom meetings from home and plastic partitions everywhere and may just have been kept around because people who aren't old like us (present company excluded) kind of preferred them.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2033 on: August 21, 2023, 04:56:23 PM »
For a long time now, restaurants have put their menu online including their bar menu so if we are interested in a particular venue then we can look it up ahead of time. I like that option but I also travel with a laptop everywhere when I/we travel.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2034 on: August 22, 2023, 08:00:32 AM »
Just tested positive for Covid. I barely leave the house and went to see The Warning on Saturday. Started feeling crappy yesterday and had trouble sleeping last night and feel even worse today. Wife sort of jokingly says 'maybe you have covid'.

I feel like crap. I had a busy week coming up too.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2035 on: August 22, 2023, 12:08:25 PM »
Just tested positive for Covid. I barely leave the house and went to see The Warning on Saturday. Started feeling crappy yesterday and had trouble sleeping last night and feel even worse today. Wife sort of jokingly says 'maybe you have covid'.

So sorry to hear that.  I hope you get well soon. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2036 on: August 22, 2023, 12:30:21 PM »

Thanks, Man. I had no symptoms the first time. This time I feel like a train rolled over me. The rapid test was undeniable. Solid, very full line on the positive. Trying to work but it's not going well. My boss already told me to take it easy and not work, but I have a big go-live this week. Can't let it go.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2037 on: August 22, 2023, 01:00:35 PM »

Indeed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2038 on: August 22, 2023, 01:01:56 PM »

Thanks, Man. I had no symptoms the first time. This time I feel like a train rolled over me. The rapid test was undeniable. Solid, very full line on the positive. Trying to work but it's not going well. My boss already told me to take it easy and not work, but I have a big go-live this week. Can't let it go.

That sucks about the timing, but what can you do?  It's work, don't kill yourself.  Hope you get well soon.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2039 on: August 22, 2023, 01:04:38 PM »
Idiot coworker gave me a cold last week. Didn't effect Friday night, but I felt kind of crappy for Sunday's gig. Been toughing it out at work (boss also caught it, and fuck the guy that started the whole thing), but last night I smashed one of my piggies. Broken toes are no joke, man. I can hobble around alight if I'm not wearing a shoe. If I am it's pretty much dead weight. Can't use that foot at all. I've never been able to read an xray before, but it's pretty easy to recognize a bone that's in the wrong place. So basically at home miserable from stem to stern.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2040 on: August 22, 2023, 01:24:15 PM »
That sounds really painful

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2041 on: August 22, 2023, 01:48:40 PM »
So..
Prof has Covid and Bart has....Toevid.

I'm so sorry. Leaving now..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2042 on: August 22, 2023, 02:16:25 PM »
I don't envy you at all El Barto.  Broken toes, are excruciating. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2043 on: August 22, 2023, 05:44:51 PM »
Idiot coworker gave me a cold last week. Didn't effect Friday night, but I felt kind of crappy for Sunday's gig. Been toughing it out at work (boss also caught it, and fuck the guy that started the whole thing), but last night I smashed one of my piggies. Broken toes are no joke, man. I can hobble around alight if I'm not wearing a shoe. If I am it's pretty much dead weight. Can't use that foot at all. I've never been able to read an xray before, but it's pretty easy to recognize a bone that's in the wrong place. So basically at home miserable from stem to stern.

When I smashed my big toe years ago in the gym, it was one of the worst things I've gone through.  Seriously don't realise how important your toes are to just walking.

Has the doc looked at the X-Ray?  If it's fucked up enough that bones are in the wrong place, and if it heals without needing possible correction, it will heal all wonky and could affect you the rest of your life. I had to have pins in mine for over six weeks as the bones were smashed.  Doctors were not letting me not get surgery.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2044 on: August 22, 2023, 06:27:21 PM »

When I smashed my big toe years ago in the gym, it was one of the worst things I've gone through.  Seriously don't realise how important your toes are to just walking.

Has the doc looked at the X-Ray?  If it's fucked up enough that bones are in the wrong place, and if it heals without needing possible correction, it will heal all wonky and could affect you the rest of your life. I had to have pins in mine for over six weeks as the bones were smashed.  Doctors were not letting me not get surgery.
Yeah, you notice it no matter how you step. Even just the shock of your foot coming down on the heal jars it a bit, so there's no good way around it. Earlier in the year I had some soft tissue damage to my thumb, and that's the same way. Even if you don't use that thumb to grasp anything simply touching something with that hand will set it off. 

Yeah, I'm already established with a podiatrist. I was thinking it was just a deep bruise, but his minion suggested coming in anyway, and he was right. It doesn't need surgery, it's not that far out of alignment, but had I not had it stabilized it probably would have gotten to that point. Funny thing is that when I first smashed it it wasn't that terrible. It hurt like fuck, but it wasn't that blinding pain that incaps you for a spell. It was in the middle of the night when rolling over that it got caught in the sheets that really made a mess of it. I think that's when it got shifted over a tad.

The only thing I know for sure is that between the cold and the toe there's a fair amount of whisky in my future.

Doctors were not letting me not get surgery.
Bleedin' Aussie. Up here it's "if you don't get surgery it'll screw you up for the rest of your life, but I understand that you might not be able to afford it. Take some time to think about what you want to do about it."
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2045 on: August 22, 2023, 07:29:57 PM »
ProfessorPeart - hope you feel better soon.  Covid is definitely rearing up again.  I know many people who have recently contracted it.

EB - broken toes are the worst!  I was on vacation with the family a few years back and got up in the middle of the night in the hotel to use the WC and the tile in the bathroom was black.  So of course I miss judged the layout of the bathroom and wound up walking full force into a half wall (didn't turn on the light for fear of waking others).  Excruciating pain and it totally fucked up the rest of our vacation which had been set around hiking and sight seeing.

Man the colors my foot turned were incredible.

Got home and after a week or so was gingerly stepping into the shower and wound up sliding my broken toe along the bath mat.  This wound up essentially reducing my fracture back into proper alignment and the pain was about 75% better (after the initial shock of pain and subsequent desire to barf when it occurred).

Hope you feel better soon and a piece of unasked for advice?  Be sure to move your foot/calf/leg by doing some range of motion regularly.  Last thing you need is a DVT.  And that shit can happen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2046 on: August 23, 2023, 04:08:28 AM »

Yeah, you notice it no matter how you step. Even just the shock of your foot coming down on the heal jars it a bit, so there's no good way around it. Earlier in the year I had some soft tissue damage to my thumb, and that's the same way. Even if you don't use that thumb to grasp anything simply touching something with that hand will set it off. 

Yeah, I'm already established with a podiatrist. I was thinking it was just a deep bruise, but his minion suggested coming in anyway, and he was right. It doesn't need surgery, it's not that far out of alignment, but had I not had it stabilized it probably would have gotten to that point. Funny thing is that when I first smashed it it wasn't that terrible. It hurt like fuck, but it wasn't that blinding pain that incaps you for a spell. It was in the middle of the night when rolling over that it got caught in the sheets that really made a mess of it. I think that's when it got shifted over a tad.

The only thing I know for sure is that between the cold and the toe there's a fair amount of whisky in my future.

Doctors were not letting me not get surgery.
Bleedin' Aussie. Up here it's "if you don't get surgery it'll screw you up for the rest of your life, but I understand that you might not be able to afford it. Take some time to think about what you want to do about it."

Yeah, sounds like my story.  I didn't go to hospital until the next day.  The bones of the big toe were shattered in about a dozen pieces.  Yeah our health system is so good over here compared to you guys.

That's damn good news you don't need surgery though mate.  All the best.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2047 on: August 23, 2023, 06:43:55 AM »
My right eye has been irritated since vacation.  It's all red on the right side.  I tried flushing it out many times.  Ice and heat.  I don't even know how I did it.  It's a pain in the ass.  I guess I should set up a doctor's appointment today. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2048 on: August 23, 2023, 07:34:33 AM »
My right eye has been irritated since vacation.  It's all red on the right side.  I tried flushing it out many times.  Ice and heat.  I don't even know how I did it.  It's a pain in the ass.  I guess I should set up a doctor's appointment today.

I don't know when your vacation was, but the eye heals incredibly fast. If you are having continued irritation for more than a few days, you should see a doctor/optometrist ASAP!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2049 on: August 23, 2023, 07:35:55 AM »
Set up an appointment for 440pm today. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2050 on: August 23, 2023, 07:51:28 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm pissed or not. I think I'm pissed.   

I'll try to keep this short and high level so it's easy to follow.   

For my entire life, I've had an incredibly small family. I have 4 cousins, 3 of which are blood related.

My dad is one of 4 children.

- Barbara (My grandma) and John (my grandpa)
---  Joe (my dad)
---  Jack
---  James
---- Marcia

Marcia, my dad's sister, went to the hospital last October with a really bad UTI. She was admitted to the ER where she choked on her dinner. She had a heart attack, was put in a coma and died. She had a known genetic disease that would have eventually done her in had that not happened. 

James, my dad's kid brother, died unexpectedly a few months ago.

Last weekend, my dad went to a celebration of life party for a cousin of his that recently passed away. While there, he was informed by another cousin that a woman reached out to him several months ago. This woman was apparently Marcia's daughter, and she was put up for adoption as soon as my aunt had her. She has the same disease my aunt had, and she found genetic matches through testing. She reached out to my dad's cousin in an attempt to find out how the disease has impacted anyone in our family. Nobody in the family had a clue Marcia ever had a kid. The cousin my dad met suspected my grandfather knew, but he died of a heart attack while Marcia was pregnant and literally took the secret to his grave. The cousin also said he put her in touch with James who she 100% had conversations with, but he too took the secret to his grave.

So now I'm sitting on this info that I have another first cousin who's just 4 years older than me. I've got her name and she lives about 20 minutes from me. Nobody else in my family seems at all phased by this revelation. My dad gave his cousin his number in case she ever wanted to contact him for anything. Meanwhile, I want to reach out and introduce myself. I don't expect her to want to talk back, but I'd like to open that door if she wanted. Even if it was just to see pictures of her grandma and grandpa or something. My immediate family is entirely against this, with my dad going so far as requesting that I don't make any attempt to make contact with this person. It kind of irks me. It's not like she's 11 and I could be unloading something on her that she's not yet mentally ready to handle. She's 39. I'm sure she'd be fine.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 08:49:30 AM by Chino »

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2051 on: August 23, 2023, 08:36:35 AM »
Ah the joys of ancestry testing.  I know it well.  My half sister found out she had another half sister before she died.  My mom found out she had a half sister before she died too.  In both of those cases, these previously unknown relatives lived across the country and thus contact was limited to some cordial emails and phone calls.

But I have heard of other reunions with long lost relatives that did not go well.  Could be that is why your dad is against this?  There could also be him feeling protective of his deceased sister and not wanting family dirty laundry aired.

That said, I think this cousin wanting information on a potentially lethal genetic disease is completely valid.  It could be she is really only looking for this and has no desire to upset the apple cart of your family in any way.  I guess if I were in your shoes I'd try to pin down exactly what your dad's fears are about.  And if it seems to you that it is because of pride or loyalty or shame then it is up to you to decide how you want to move forward.

He doesn't need to know if you do decide to reach out to her.  And you can explain to her that it is a tricky situation with him and the rest of the family.  But do proceed cautiously.  You don't know her situation.  If she's the type of person looking for money, or is struggling with addiction, you could be opening yourself up to a huge on-going headache.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: August 23, 2023, 08:38:05 AM »
I'd say, sorry Dad.  I'm going to do the right thing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 08:52:54 AM by Kinger »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: August 23, 2023, 08:51:29 AM »
Given the health situation, it seems like the right thing to do to give her the information she needs.  Anything more I'd say is up to how comfortable you are with potentially going behind your dad's back. Seems like she's an adult and I can't imagine she could legally come after you or your father for money. Since you mentioned she is local, I'd imagine it might be nice to meet up since you have such a small family, but rocking the boat within the family seems like a legit concern.  Sticky situation, but providing that medical information should IMO not be something your family should be upset about.  To me, that's human decency. But I have no experience with this to share so these are just my thoughts.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2054 on: August 23, 2023, 09:19:32 AM »
I should have maybe been a bit more clear in my OP - She's already gotten the information about the disease and who it impacted in the family. My dad isn't taking that position from a "don't help her" angle. He'd never do something like that.

That said, I think this cousin wanting information on a potentially lethal genetic disease is completely valid.  It could be she is really only looking for this and has no desire to upset the apple cart of your family in any way. I guess if I were in your shoes I'd try to pin down exactly what your dad's fears are about.  And if it seems to you that it is because of pride or loyalty or shame then it is up to you to decide how you want to move forward.

That could be it. My dad clarified a bit when I pressed him on it after posting this thread. So apparently, it wasn't my unknown cousin that reached out to my dad's brother James. Apparently it was the girl's daughter (she's got two) calling on her behalf. I quote "I know when her daughter contacted James, she said she was iffy about talking to anyone and didn't want a bunch of people suddenly feeling obligated to reach out to her. She was looking for info about the muscular disease".     

That could change things I guess. On one hand that could be interpreted as her not wanting any contact. On the other hand, I could read that as her not wanting to suddenly inject herself as a burden to a family that just found out she existed.   

It's zero burden on me. I was filled with excitement when I heard the news and half-jokingly suggested to V that we invite her and her husband to the wedding.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 10:53:37 AM by Chino »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2055 on: August 23, 2023, 10:09:19 AM »
These are delicate situations that have no clear answer.

My best friend (little league, law school, roommates for a while) and who, back in the day, I helped find his "biological" dad learned through Ancestry that he had a sister... his "biological" dad was not, and in fact his mom had a one-night stand with their local bartender and that's my friend's actual father.   He has reached out to his sister, met his dad, and it's made things... better for him, but of course, his mom is now faced with the reality that everyone knows of her transgression.

For me, if it was me, I would ultimately honor what my dad said, only because in my family, my dad was far more plugged into the familial ins and outs than I was, and I would trust that he knew something I didn't.   Having said that, I wouldn't have taken "let it go" as an answer, but again, that depends on your relationship with your dad.

Ultimately, if you find yourself in disagreement with Dad, and opt to reach out, you can certainly do so with decorum and respect.  Perhaps contact the daughter who reached out and express your desire there?  You already know she's willing to reach out and maybe she can act as a sort middle man; you might find out what concerns there are as well and you can then decide if you want to mitigate them or just walk away.

I do know this much:  my mom and dad passed last year, and they were my main connection to my family, and on top of the grief is this profound sense of losing connection.  I have no regrets, per se, but I DO wish I pushed my dad harder than I did about writing all this ancestry shit down.   As people die, information dies, and if you CAN seek that connection I think in the long run it's probably the best move.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 10:17:00 AM by Stadler »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2056 on: August 23, 2023, 05:30:15 PM »

That sucks about the timing, but what can you do?  It's work, don't kill yourself.  Hope you get well soon.

Covid made the decision for me. I barely slept last night and my head feels like it is caught in a car crusher. The pain is otherworldly and I have a high pain tolerance. This is just super brutal. Work told me to not worry about it and got 2 others to cover for me tomorrow. I'm not in any frame of mind to man a deployment in my condition.

This variant is no joke. Sounds like I might have this Eris one. The shots are worthless against it and I can attest to that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: August 23, 2023, 05:35:51 PM »
Well that stinks, but at least you don't have to worry about work and just yourself. Take care.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2058 on: August 24, 2023, 01:22:33 PM »
Had my yearly physical. I weigh 280.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2059 on: August 24, 2023, 04:03:15 PM »
Just realized I have no sense of taste and smell now. Makes eating very unfullfilling. Didn't happen my first time with Covid but happened to both my kids. This really sucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2060 on: August 24, 2023, 04:15:24 PM »
Ugh.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2061 on: August 24, 2023, 05:24:09 PM »
Just realized I have no sense of taste and smell now. Makes eating very unfullfilling. Didn't happen my first time with Covid but happened to both my kids. This really sucks.

That sucks man.  Hopefully it makes way for you soon.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2062 on: August 24, 2023, 05:49:23 PM »
I know it sucks, but I made it into a game. I would try everything I had to see what I could and couldn't taste. Like spicy food, sour candy, sweet treats... it was interesting what I could and could not taste.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2063 on: August 24, 2023, 05:51:52 PM »
Last year I lost my sense of taste for a 36 hour period. Disappeared and returned out of the blue. Weird as hell.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2064 on: August 24, 2023, 06:02:48 PM »
Last year I lost my sense of taste for a 36 hour period. Disappeared and returned out of the blue. Weird as hell.

Your dislike of Winger and Power Windows suggests you've lost your sense of taste a lot longer than a 36 hour period.  ;D