Author Topic: What pissed you off today?  (Read 132143 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: What pissed you off today?
« Reply #1680 on: March 31, 2023, 12:03:22 PM »
Yeah, gotta get my ducks in a row before I pick the date to retire.  But honestly?  If our stupid-ass country had universal healthcare, I'd have retired years ago.  The only thing stopping me at this point is having to pay for health insurance until I'm eligible for Medicare.

My early retirement plan includes a certain amount of income per month after the mortgage and medical insurance are already paid.  It's a nice buffer not having to worry about that.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1681 on: March 31, 2023, 07:46:55 PM »
Meeting with my supervisor today was uneventful.  The topic of calendars never came up.  I have one more week before a nice vacation.  Hopefully by the time I get back the whole thing will be a nothingburger.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1682 on: April 04, 2023, 03:28:43 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1683 on: April 04, 2023, 05:35:49 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/four-killed-in-beach-shooting-at-mexico-vacation-mecca/ar-AA19tiCC?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=9b2d24a10a514591866df3aa2e1c7f3a&ei=71

I wouldn't go, Gary. This article says another American was shot in Cancun last week as well.
Fuck that.

I wish it were they easy. And, in nearly every other aspect of my life I’ll do what’s in my gut no matter who it pisses off. This circumstance is just on another level….I’m basically stuck.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1684 on: April 04, 2023, 05:37:31 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/four-killed-in-beach-shooting-at-mexico-vacation-mecca/ar-AA19tiCC?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=9b2d24a10a514591866df3aa2e1c7f3a&ei=71

I wouldn't go, Gary. This article says another American was shot in Cancun last week as well.
Fuck that.

I wish it were they easy. And, in nearly every other aspect of my life I’ll do what’s in my gut no matter who it pisses off. This circumstance is just on another level….I’m basically stuck.

Are you able to bring your gun with you? I know you've said in the past that you will not visit any other states where you can't have your gun.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1685 on: April 04, 2023, 05:38:33 PM »

Fuck that.

Are you able to bring your gun with you? I know you've said in the past that you will not visit any other states where you can't have your gun.

I don’t think there’s any way to do that. Get it in a plane and take it. I’d have better luck just buying one down there  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: April 04, 2023, 07:29:03 PM »
What the fuck?  You wouldn't venture to another state without your gun?  Man things are so different over there.

Drug and cartel-related violence has skyrocketed across Mexico as authorities struggle to combat organized crime.

The U.S. State Department has issued a travel advisory for Americans vising Mexico, warning them to "exercise increased caution due to crime and kidnapping."

Yeah, that would be enough for me to put my foot down and go.....'yeah, nah, we're not going aye.'
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1687 on: April 04, 2023, 10:15:12 PM »
Because trying to shoot it out with the cartel is a great idea.

The problem isn't getting the gun down there. People have done that by accident. The problem is that the penalties for unlawful possession of a gun down there are hardcore. If you're associated with the cartel you simply buy your way out of it. If you're a gringo you don't have that option and you spend a lot of time in a Mexican prison. If you do find yourself armed down there the longstanding legal advice is to throw the thing as far as you can into the ocean and forget you ever owned a gun. Replacement cost is a tiny fraction of the cost of being caught with it.

In other news, two Americans were killed in New Haven, CT over the weekend. Two more in Georgia. I'm oft fascinated by the human condition, and how people behave under various circumstances. People's inability to grasp perspective is a big one that I marvel at it all the time. People just suck at risk assessment. The reality is that the most dangerous part of his trip might very well be the drive to and from STL. Maybe developing melanoma. A rational person should be able to have a fine time in Cancun by simply following common sense.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: April 05, 2023, 04:15:26 AM »
I get that.  Chances of a car crash are way higher than getting shot, plus it's the media.  It would just perhaps give some leverage to get out if the trip, that's all.

However, I only know what's posted here, it would still make me cautious about it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1689 on: April 05, 2023, 05:43:45 AM »
One last night in Manchester,  N.H.  People are not afraid to blast away vs police. I'm amazed how many times I've said this to myself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1690 on: April 05, 2023, 06:33:46 AM »
Because trying to shoot it out with the cartel is a great idea.

The problem isn't getting the gun down there. People have done that by accident. The problem is that the penalties for unlawful possession of a gun down there are hardcore. If you're associated with the cartel you simply buy your way out of it. If you're a gringo you don't have that option and you spend a lot of time in a Mexican prison. If you do find yourself armed down there the longstanding legal advice is to throw the thing as far as you can into the ocean and forget you ever owned a gun. Replacement cost is a tiny fraction of the cost of being caught with it.

In other news, two Americans were killed in New Haven, CT over the weekend. Two more in Georgia. I'm oft fascinated by the human condition, and how people behave under various circumstances. People's inability to grasp perspective is a big one that I marvel at it all the time. People just suck at risk assessment. The reality is that the most dangerous part of his trip might very well be the drive to and from STL. Maybe developing melanoma. A rational person should be able to have a fine time in Cancun by simply following common sense.

That is all true of course (how many times have I recommended the book "How Risky Is It?" by Dave Ropeik, where he talks about exactly that concept) but to add to it, it's amazing that so many people DON'T see the connection between the above and the events like the Angel Reese/Caitlyn Clark episode, or the palpable thirst for vengeance we're seeing, the veritable GLEE, around the Trump episode.   We've devolved into a society that just can't help/control itself.  Just walk the fuck away, man. It's not that hard, and yet...  it seems impossible. 

The last THREE times I drove (I don't leave the house much) - to get gas in my truck, to watch Uconn at my friends house, and to pick up food for dinner last night - I got "the finger" from some driver.  One of them - the Uconn game - I'll allow I might have been following a little close, as I was hurrying to get there.  The other two - by way of example, my truck is a 2003 diesel plow truck with rusted floor boards and over 300,000 miles on it; I wasn't speeding and I wasn't tailgating - are more likely people who can't deal with a scenario that isn't their PERFECT scenario and yet who have a keyboard warrior mentality towards others.  Add to that mix a preference towards "Fuck you" about the law, and you have a recipe for violence, gun or otherwise (that New Haven incident almost CERTAINLY involved at least two other felonies besides the shooting).   

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: April 05, 2023, 07:25:19 AM »
What the fuck?  You wouldn't venture to another state without your gun? 

It's all about preparedness. Not 'fear'. It's being ready for the .01% chance that a situation would arise that one may need a weapon. I've said it countless times in the P/R subforum and in other threads.....I view it as a responsibility to my family as a father and husband to be ready to protect them at all times to the best of my ability. It's that simple. It doesn't mean I think that other fathers and husbands who don't carry a weapon are 'doing it wrong'.....this is just a personal choice by me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1692 on: April 05, 2023, 07:32:28 AM »
The reality is that the most dangerous part of his trip might very well be the drive to and from STL. Maybe developing melanoma. A rational person should be able to have a fine time in Cancun by simply following common sense.

Well....8 of the top ten most dangerous cities in the world are Mexican cities....BUT.....St. Louis comes in at #10  :lol   While I get the point you're trying to make it doesn't change the fact that Mexico....especially at this moment in time....is a pretty risky trip to take. I 'think' everything will go fine and it'll be much to do about nothing....but again, my original point was that I was given zero say in a decision that affects my family. I'll always be pissed about any situation like that no matter the destination.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1693 on: April 05, 2023, 07:53:40 AM »
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Here is the official US travel advisory for Mexico.  Assuming Cancun is the destination (Quintana Roo state), it's not among the top areas to avoid. 

Just use common sense.  You can be tourists during the daytime and stay on main roads.  If you're with your family, you can stay at the resort at night instead of taking in the night-life and being out after dark. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: April 05, 2023, 08:06:06 AM »
What the fuck?  You wouldn't venture to another state without your gun?  Man things are so different over there.

Drug and cartel-related violence has skyrocketed across Mexico as authorities struggle to combat organized crime.

The U.S. State Department has issued a travel advisory for Americans vising Mexico, warning them to "exercise increased caution due to crime and kidnapping."

Yeah, that would be enough for me to put my foot down and go.....'yeah, nah, we're not going aye.'

As much as I respect Gary's gun usage and know/trust that he is following the law and being safe, I very much think his fear is uncalled for.  I would not use him as an example of what America is like in terms of guns although that is likely the image America presents itself to foreigners about how we love our guns and need to be worried about being shot.  I would be an exact opposite example where I don't own guns and never have considered buying one, let alone be in public with one.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: April 05, 2023, 08:14:32 AM »
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Here is the official US travel advisory for Mexico.  Assuming Cancun is the destination (Quintana Roo state), it's not among the top areas to avoid. 

Just use common sense.  You can be tourists during the daytime and stay on main roads.  If you're with your family, you can stay at the resort at night instead of taking in the night-life and being out after dark.

The only time my family will be off resort is to and from the airport. That I can ‘control’.  Cancun has nothing to offer that we can’t get at the resort.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1696 on: April 05, 2023, 08:19:27 AM »
The reality is that the most dangerous part of his trip might very well be the drive to and from STL. Maybe developing melanoma. A rational person should be able to have a fine time in Cancun by simply following common sense.

Well....8 of the top ten most dangerous cities in the world are Mexican cities....BUT.....St. Louis comes in at #10  :lol   While I get the point you're trying to make it doesn't change the fact that Mexico....especially at this moment in time....is a pretty risky trip to take. I 'think' everything will go fine and it'll be much to do about nothing....but again, my original point was that I was given zero say in a decision that affects my family. I'll always be pissed about any situation like that no matter the destination.
Parts of Mexico are dangerous, and those are parts that nobody would ever venture to. With the exception of TJ and Laredo all of the cities on the list are off the beaten path and places nobody's ever heard of. If Amarillo were the most dangerous city in America nobody would care because nobody ever actually goes there. This is akin to being afraid to travel to San Francisco because Compton is so dangerous.

As for the most recent shooting something stuck out to me. Note that at no point did the article mention what the decedents were up to, or their nationality. Only that it was drug related.

The only time my family will be off resort is to and from the airport. That I can ‘control’.  Cancun has nothing to offer that we can’t get at the resort.
The trip to that island.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1697 on: April 06, 2023, 12:28:32 PM »
So, my company has been doing some renovations in the office, including some long overdue facelifts of the elevators.

Included on the new look elevators is a display screen that gives info, like sports scores or bits of trivia (kind of like at some gas pumps).  I have no idea why they did this, but it's OK.

At any rate, I discovered that it is displaying its info in British English instead of American English.  This cannot stand.  I mean, we fought an entire war over this kind of shit.

So I am currently engaged in the bureaucratic struggle to completely overhaul the new infotainment system.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: April 06, 2023, 12:30:59 PM »
 :lol you are fighting the good fight

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1699 on: April 06, 2023, 12:32:14 PM »
Side note, the sound on those awful loud blaring trivia screens at gas stations can be disabled by just clicking on the buttons. One of them will silence it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1700 on: April 06, 2023, 12:35:06 PM »
:lol you are fighting the good fight
I do what I can.

Side note, the sound on those awful loud blaring trivia screens at gas stations can be disabled by just clicking on the buttons. One of them will silence it.
You're right, but thankfully the one in our elevators is silent.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: April 06, 2023, 12:36:57 PM »
So, my company has been doing some renovations in the office, including some long overdue facelifts of the elevators.

Included on the new look elevators is a display screen that gives info, like sports scores or bits of trivia (kind of like at some gas pumps).  I have no idea why they did this, but it's OK.

At any rate, I discovered that it is displaying its info in British English instead of American English.  This cannot stand.  I mean, we fought an entire war over this kind of shit.

So I am currently engaged in the bureaucratic struggle to completely overhaul the new infotainment system.

Time to hide behind desk and lob complaints, then scuttle to the back side of the water cooler, complaining again.  It's time to use guerrilla office warfare tactics.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1702 on: April 06, 2023, 01:03:30 PM »

Time to hide behind desk and lob complaints, then scuttle to the back side of the water cooler, complaining again.  It's time to use guerrilla office warfare tactics.
Nah, it's a full frontal assault.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1703 on: April 06, 2023, 01:51:44 PM »
I was thinking revolutionary war tactics.  LOL

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: April 07, 2023, 06:29:31 AM »

Sorry you feel that way, Guv. You might find someone who gives a shite if you'd take the dummy out of your gob. Fuckin' wanka'
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1705 on: April 07, 2023, 06:54:37 AM »

Put a sticker on the third floor button that says "free"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1706 on: April 07, 2023, 12:02:45 PM »

Sorry you feel that way, Guv. You might find someone who gives a shite if you'd take the dummy out of your gob. Fuckin' wanka'

"Gob" is one of the greatest words of all time.  I lament that we haven't adopted it this side of the pond.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1707 on: April 11, 2023, 01:55:16 PM »
We use Kanban boards at work. The word is pronounced "Con-Bon". We have an employee who started with us 9 months ago and still pronounces is "Can-Ban" despite nobody else ever pronouncing it that way (seriously, I'm almost nine years into this gig and have never heard it pronounced like that). She stubborn as all hell when it comes to everything else, so I'm assuming it's got to be intentional at this point and she's saying it incorrectly as a matter of pride at this point. I know it's a really stupid thing to get upset about, but every time she says "can-ban" instead of "kon-bon", I die a little inside.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1708 on: April 11, 2023, 01:58:11 PM »
We use Kanban boards at work. The word is pronounced "Con-Bon". We have an employee who started with us 9 months ago and still pronounces is "Can-Ban" despite nobody else ever pronouncing it that way (seriously, I'm almost nine years into this gig and have never heard it pronounced like that). She stubborn as all hell when it comes to everything else, so I'm assuming it's got to be intentional at this point and she's saying it incorrectly as a matter of pride at this point. I know it's a really stupid thing to get upset about, but every time she says "can-ban" instead of "kon-bon", I die a little inside.

I definitely read it as "can-ban" initially.  It's kind of one of those stupid things in life that make you wonder if some people are NPCs.  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1709 on: April 11, 2023, 02:11:28 PM »
If something is pissing me off on any given day, it's usually always the same thing(s).  I normally don't like to repeat myself.  :facepalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1710 on: April 11, 2023, 02:43:24 PM »
If something is pissing me off on any given day, it's usually always the same thing(s).  I normally don't like to repeat myself.  :facepalm:

Ditto.  :facepalm:

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1711 on: April 11, 2023, 03:36:03 PM »
Yeah, nobody wants to read the same complaints over and over.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1712 on: April 11, 2023, 03:36:42 PM »
Has anyone actually corrected her?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1713 on: April 11, 2023, 04:22:47 PM »

I don't know. I haven't. But she hears the word said probably 50+ times a day by a dozen or more people. The two of us did a two day agile seminar where it was said hundreds of times. 

This doesn't actually "piss me off", but something unsettling fires in my brain every time she sais it  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1714 on: April 11, 2023, 06:09:36 PM »

I don't know. I haven't. But she hears the word said probably 50+ times a day by a dozen or more people. The two of us did a two day agile seminar where it was said hundreds of times. 

This doesn't actually "piss me off", but something unsettling fires in my brain every time she sais it  :lol

Just fucking tell her.  Say, 'Hey bitch, it's Con-bon, not can-ban you fucking dumbass, jeez!  Do you not hear every fucking other person say it differently to how you do?  For fucks sake!'