Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 257521 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #1225 on: October 23, 2019, 10:53:39 AM »
That possibility has disappointed a lot of people because they were hoping. . . .

You're right, and that's what annoys me to no end.  Folks decide in advance how the story should go and then get disappointed because their unreasonable preconceptions proved wrong.  Sigh....

Yea, I get that sense too, but I'm usually fine with it as long as people are open about it. Sometimes your heart just wants something, you know? What I don't understand is when people kind of realize they're being unreasonable, and then try and come up with alternative explanations as to why they didn't like a particular story point.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1226 on: October 23, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »
:hifive: to Chad.

Also to show that I'm not simply a curmudgeon, I have photoshopped myself into the new Star Wars film's poster. Look at it. May it burn your eyes. I look like a Dynasty Warriors character turned Jedi.

It's gonna be my new avatar.

That's bad-ass on every level.

Haha thank you. Since you quoted this at just the right time, I actually put 5 more of my friends into it just using whatever Facebook photos I could find. https://i.imgur.com/gjXnx5k.jpg

:o to the guy shooting the blaster with his eyes closed!   (Just kidding).

Oh, and allow me to believe I'm in there, behind Kylo's mask (or in R2D2).  HAHA. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1227 on: October 23, 2019, 12:42:47 PM »
So my prediction based on nothing by existing lore and trailers:

1. Rey is a clone. Of who? My guess is anakin or some portion of him. Hence the name "Rise of Skywalker".
2. Rey and Kylo join forces to kill the emperor and end up sacrificing themselves to bring balance to the force (no jedi or sith survive). If Rey is a clone of Anakin then technically the prophecy of him bringing balance to force would come true.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1228 on: October 23, 2019, 01:27:12 PM »
Anyone else hear/read Kevin Smith's comments about the set for the final scene?  Don't worry, it ISN'T spoilery.  He wanted to check it out, but Abrams strongly urged him not to and told him he will not want it spoiled and should see it first in theaters.  If you want to watch the approximately 2 minute clip, it is here:  https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1152379091456163840?s=20

My question is this:  If you were on set, and crew told you that there was a set that would "melt your mind" and you had an opportunity to see it, but it would spoil the final scene in the film, would you see it anyway or wait?  I 100% get wanting to remain spoiler free.  But on the other hand, to see that set firsthand and perhaps get to stand in/on it, would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Not sure I could pass that up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1229 on: October 23, 2019, 01:38:21 PM »
Anyone else hear/read Kevin Smith's comments about the set for the final scene?  Don't worry, it ISN'T spoilery.  He wanted to check it out, but Abrams strongly urged him not to and told him he will not want it spoiled and should see it first in theaters.  If you want to watch the approximately 2 minute clip, it is here:  https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1152379091456163840?s=20

My question is this:  If you were on set, and crew told you that there was a set that would "melt your mind" and you had an opportunity to see it, but it would spoil the final scene in the film, would you see it anyway or wait?  I 100% get wanting to remain spoiler free.  But on the other hand, to see that set firsthand and perhaps get to stand in/on it, would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Not sure I could pass that up.

I'd do it, but I'd down a 750 of whiskey as soon as I left in hopes of blurring a lot of the memory.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1230 on: October 23, 2019, 03:00:43 PM »
I'd go. I still like the SW movies even though the literal entire plot has been spoiled to me through cultural osmosis before I watched them, so I might as well not miss this opportunity. Plus my spatial reasoning is so lacking, I might not understand what I'm looking at  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: October 24, 2019, 07:09:09 AM »

I guess it depends on the set and the scene, but I know I had the opportunity to visit the set of SNL, and see how it looked and how it worked, and while there isn't a "spoiler" per se, having that vantage point has changed (slightly) how I view the show, and for the better.  I'd take the viewing and figure out how to be awed in the theaters later. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1232 on: October 24, 2019, 08:19:20 AM »
I find it hard to comprehend how just seeing a set piece could spoil the ending. But given the opportunity, I think I would go. Especially if I had a chance to meet some of the actors or see the filming.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1233 on: October 24, 2019, 09:43:05 AM »
I find it hard to comprehend how just seeing a set piece could spoil the ending.

Spoiler alert: The ship sinks at the end.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: October 24, 2019, 10:03:04 AM »
HAHAHAHA.  That's good.  :tup

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1235 on: October 24, 2019, 10:12:00 AM »
But it’s Star Wars. I assume the big set piece is mostly blue/green screen anyway.

As for me? I would. I don’t care enough about Star Wars to have it ruined but also recognize the cultural significance and being there would be cool.

Marvel movies totally opposite. Wouldn’t do it cause I love those movies and realize they might not be so culturally significant down the line.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1236 on: October 29, 2019, 06:24:40 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-shocker-game-thrones-duo-quits-planned-trilogy-1250666

Benioff and Weiss leave their Star Wars project.

I'm personally not too upset by this. It is worrying that Lucasfilm seems unable to start and complete a movie with the same creative team in place throughout, though I know this is not uncommon in the blockbuster movie arena. In this case, $250 million from Netflix for these guys sealed their fate. The next Star Wars movie is 3 years away, so I'm guessing they didn't even have a first draft of the script yet. Plenty of time to recover if they play their cards right.

I'm not sure what direction Star Wars should take from here. Part of me wants to see them give movies to up and coming directors with a creative vision, give them mostly free reign, and see how things go. Just plan one movie at a time. If it does well, make more with the same director/characters. Kind of like how the MCU has been going. Though Star Wars doesn't seem to have the overarching creative visionary like the MCU has is Feige. I just hope Star Wars movies don't get as formulaic as the MCU has gotten.

I also would not be at all surprised if Star Wars were to move forward only on Disney+ as limited series with no more theatrical releases. Though honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the MCU and all other Disney properties did the same thing. I have a sneaky feeling that Disney is going finish what Netflix started and kill the movie theater over the next several years.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1237 on: October 29, 2019, 07:57:41 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-shocker-game-thrones-duo-quits-planned-trilogy-1250666

I'm personally not too upset by this. It is worrying that Lucasfilm seems unable to start and complete a movie with the same creative team in place throughout, though I know this is not uncommon in the blockbuster movie arena. In this case, $250 million from Netflix for these guys sealed their fate. The next Star Wars movie is 3 years away, so I'm guessing they didn't even have a first draft of the script yet. Plenty of time to recover if they play their cards right.

I'm not sure what direction Star Wars should take from here. Part of me wants to see them give movies to up and coming directors with a creative vision, give them mostly free reign, and see how things go. Just plan one movie at a time. If it does well, make more with the same director/characters. Kind of like how the MCU has been going. Though Star Wars doesn't seem to have the overarching creative visionary like the MCU has is Feige. I just hope Star Wars movies don't get as formulaic as the MCU has gotten.

I also would not be at all surprised if Star Wars were to move forward only on Disney+ as limited series with no more theatrical releases. Though honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the MCU and all other Disney properties did the same thing. I have a sneaky feeling that Disney is going finish what Netflix started and kill the movie theater over the next several years.

This is the best news that could have happened. They quit....weren't 'fired' so there's no chance of a future 'our idea was SO COOL' or anything like that from them.

Personally, I'd love to see Neill Blomkamp get a shot at making a trilogy. He has a 'sy fy' mind, very creative and relatively 'fresh'. District 9 was pretty cool....I'd have loved to see his idea for the ALIENS movie he had in mind that would have ignored Alien 3 and just picked up from ALIENS. Elysium was an 'ok' movie....nothing groundbreaking but it was certainly watchable.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1238 on: October 29, 2019, 08:12:20 AM »
My personal view is that both the Rian Johnson trilogy and the D&D trilogy are just bad ideas to begin with. Why should anyone be handed a trilogy of 3x 200 million dollar movies (close to the double with marketing) even if they have made a good movie before? I think Star Wars should go the MCU route and have different directors make individual movies and IF those movies are successful (critically and financially) then you can keep going. Heck, the Star Wars universe is even bigger than the MCU universe in the sense that you can have characters on completely different planets in different movies who still run into each other in a team up movie or somewhere further down the line.

For me they dropped the ball with the Episode-trilogy in the sense that TLJ seemed to not care about anything set up in TFA and cut those story threads completely and now RoS is tasked with finishing a trilogy where the middle movie didn't really leave much for the final movie to resolve. To me the episode-trilogies should be planned out before hand and I think they dropped the ball there. But I feel like outside the Episode-movies, you can go the individual movies route and still have ideas for a larger picture (or not). I don't think there needs to be a galactic level threat that the movies are building towards honestly.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1239 on: October 29, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »

This is the best news that could have happened. They quit....weren't 'fired' so there's no chance of a future 'our idea was SO COOL' or anything like that from them.

Personally, I'd love to see Neill Blomkamp get a shot at making a trilogy. He has a 'sy fy' mind, very creative and relatively 'fresh'. District 9 was pretty cool....I'd have loved to see his idea for the ALIENS movie he had in mind that would have ignored Alien 3 and just picked up from ALIENS. Elysium was an 'ok' movie....nothing groundbreaking but it was certainly watchable.

I dunno. Dude has one good movie under his belt. The rest were not too well received.

Plus I can’t see Star Wars covering gangster South African sub culture.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: October 29, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »

I dunno. Dude has one good movie under his belt. The rest were not too well received.

Plus I can’t see Star Wars covering gangster South African sub culture.

It'd be a 'gamble' for sure. But I think he just has the type of mind that would be worth giving him a shot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: October 29, 2019, 11:04:21 AM »
I'm cool with Star Wars going with lesser known directors/writers.  I feel they've done this with actors/actresses to some success in the past.  If there's a good script out there, I'd hope name recognition isn't holding them back from Disney. 

Having said that, I honestly wouldn't be upset if they just put an end to the Star Wars universe.  It already feels like its milked dry with their current storyline.  Maybe if they started fresh in the universe but somewhere else totally unrelated (or just slightly related to keep some consistency) to the 3 trilogies to make it feel fresh.  Right now, Hollywood just feels like it's rinse and repeat with everything.  Even though I didn't love Rogue One, I did like the idea of something totally different although still related.  That movie did at least feel a bit more fresh than the newest trilogy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: October 29, 2019, 11:11:39 AM »
I think I like this.  Let the story drive the films; it seems like now we schedule a film, and force the story in (sort of the movie version of "record album, tour, record album, tour).  Why not wait until someone has a brilliant idea, or a compelling story to tell that fits in the Star Wars universe?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1243 on: October 29, 2019, 11:53:21 AM »
I think I like this.  Let the story drive the films; it seems like now we schedule a film, and force the story in (sort of the movie version of "record album, tour, record album, tour).  Why not wait until someone has a brilliant idea, or a compelling story to tell that fits in the Star Wars universe?

I was going to make this exact same post this morning. I hate that the next trilogy's first installment already has a release date pegged down. How about coming up with a good story and setting and all that first? The franchise prints money, slow down, it'll be okay.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1244 on: October 29, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
I honestly think the success that the MCU has had for Disney has been bad for Star Wars. Disney can look at the MCU and see a movie franchise that can pump out 3 movies a year that each make a billion dollars. Disney probably had grand plans for the Star Wars universe to be the same. And in theory it could be. There are infinite possibilities for stories and they're not only stuck with characters from existing comic books like the MCU. I can see them envisioning a future where there's a June and December movie release and a few Disney+ series every year in the Star Wars universe. I think that's achievable with the right creative teams, but I'm not sure most Star Wars fans want that. I'll be very curious to see where things go. I hope they allow filmmakers to be a little more experimental when it comes to creating movie and series that aren't tied to the existing characters.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1245 on: October 29, 2019, 01:36:13 PM »
I have been having very similar thoughts.  I'm not saying I think they shouldn't.  Like you, I just don't know, and I'm in "wait and see" mode.  But the MCU is different.  You listed some of the reasons.  But I also don't think we should discount the fact that the MCU exists because of Marvel comics, and in my opinion, the history of Marvel comics has had a huge impact on the success of the MCU.  Reading comics as a kid, I had my favorite set of go-to books that I regularly read.  I didn't have time or money to read everything, but that was okay.  But I knew those other characters were out there, doing their own thing, and having their own story arcs in this same, shared universe.  When a crossover happened, it was pretty cool and exciting, and it generated an interest in those other books.  The huge, multi-book crossovers amplified that even more.  That legacy is built into the MCU, and they successfully found a way to subliminally carry it over from the books and make it work in film.  For whatever reason, that is very difficult to replicate.  That's part of the reason why, for example, the DCEU failed in its attempt to replicate that formula.  In theory, it could work for Star Wars as well.  We kind of know there is this huge, unexplored universe of potential characters and stories out there.  It should work.  In theory.  But in practice, I'm not sure it will. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: October 29, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
Not going to work when you over saturate the market with Star Wars.  All these movies and shows just make each next one less important.  But I totally know it will generate a ton of money and I'm sure the business likes that and will risk artist integrity to keep making that cash.  I even admitted I'd still see these movies, I'm a good example of someone they'd be milking.  However, if the quality keeps going down, I will just stop caring.  I already care significantly less about the SW universe today than I did 5 years ago.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1247 on: October 29, 2019, 02:04:40 PM »
It's funny that people worry so much about over saturation of Star Wars when they've been releasing one movie a year and none are planned for the next three years (apart from Disney+ series). You don't hear the same thing being said very often about the MCU which is pumping out content at 4 times the rate of Star Wars.

I'd personally be happy with a Star Wars December movie release and a Disney + series or two every year. I don't think that's too much as long as the stories are good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: October 29, 2019, 02:09:29 PM »
It's funny that people worry so much about over saturation of Star Wars when they've been releasing one movie a year and none are planned for the next three years (apart from Disney+ series). You don't hear the same thing being said very often about the MCU which is pumping out content at 4 times the rate of Star Wars.

I'd personally be happy with a Star Wars December movie release and a Disney + series or two every year. I don't think that's too much as long as the stories are good.

Well, for me, I couldn't care at all about the MCU universe.  But one could compare the amount of star wars releases in its first 20 years of being a thing vs the last 20 years and you could see why one would say over saturation.  Even if Episode 1 was the worst of the franchise, there was a lot of excitement for seeing a new star wars movie that is hardly there for Episode 9.  Or compare the excitement for episode 7 to episode 9. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1249 on: October 29, 2019, 02:50:49 PM »
The MCU movies are all different, though.  There are characters who show up in "other hero's movies" but they've established a huge cast of characters and there are tons of stories, many completely separate and many which converge.  With Star Wars, at least until now, it's just the one main story, the Skywalker Saga.  Presumably that's why they're talking about ending the Skywalker story, so they can branch out into other stories in other settings, as the MCU has done.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1250 on: October 29, 2019, 05:00:31 PM »
Presumably that's why they're talking about ending the Skywalker story, so they can branch out into other stories in other settings, as the MCU has done.
That's exactly my point. As they move away from the Skywalker saga, the possibilities are endless. There's no reason to believe they can't do with Star Wars what they've done in the MCU.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1251 on: October 29, 2019, 05:01:57 PM »
Yeah, my main problem with current Star Wars is that Disney wants every film to connect with the major trilogies. The universe just feels like a small band of character that do stuff on a small collection of planets.

I just want exciting stories that stand on their own and make Star Wars feel like this massive universe with load of history. Think stories like Knight of the Old Republic for example.

But I think Disney is now set to change this and they know very well that their current strategy isn't optimal.

Oh, and give me actual good films with fully trained Jedi that have epic lightsaber fights please. Prequel trilogy fights but with actual quality is what I mean.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1252 on: October 29, 2019, 08:08:08 PM »
That would be cool.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1253 on: October 30, 2019, 05:32:11 AM »

You have a point about the 'over saturation' when it comes to Star Wars and the MCU, though personally I think this is due to the fact we haven't had that many Star Wars movies before. I mean Disney has soon caught up with how many Star Wars movies were made before they got the rights and the 6 movies before came out over the span of ~30 years whereas in this case it's more like ~5-6 years. Personally I don't mind if we get 1 Star Wars movie a year, especially if every other one is a non-episode movie.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: October 30, 2019, 08:52:57 AM »

You have a point about the 'over saturation' when it comes to Star Wars and the MCU, though personally I think this is due to the fact we haven't had that many Star Wars movies before. I mean Disney has soon caught up with how many Star Wars movies were made before they got the rights and the 6 movies before came out over the span of ~30 years whereas in this case it's more like ~5-6 years. Personally I don't mind if we get 1 Star Wars movie a year, especially if every other one is a non-episode movie.

Also the first two trilogies, the movies came out every 3 years.  This new trilogy is every 2 years.  It's not that crazy when you compare to what other films have done, but it is a huge increase over the historical amount and pace of Star Wars movies before.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1255 on: October 30, 2019, 10:01:06 AM »
True.  The Star Wars movies are huge blockbuster spectacles.  Maybe not the first one (Ep IV) but it became huge and was one of the first really big blockbusters of the modern era, and each one since then is meant to be a pretty big deal.  Getting one every two or three years wasn't a problem because they take years to make.  You couldn't just crank out a huge epic once a year.

The MCU movies can be pretty epic too, but there are multiple films in production at a time with all the different characters and storylines.  New Star Wars films will have to change not only the type of storytelling, but how they produce them and everything.  It will be fun to watch it unfold.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1256 on: November 01, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
So I just read that John Boyega is getting some flack for suggesting that Anakin is/was a much stronger Jedi that Rey is and Luke was. Which, immediately I thought....no duh? If you base Anakin's character off of the movies AND Clone Wars....to me it's a no brainer. Anakin was a freaking stud in Clone Wars and displayed immense power so I don't see how you could even think that Rey could compete.

Some arguments were that Obi Wan and Luke 'beat' Vadar.....but both were situations were one offs so to speak.

Any thoughts on this?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1257 on: November 01, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
:dunno:  I try not to get too hung up on stuff like that.  Whichever position you want to argue, you can find as many inconsistencies as you want to show that the other side is wrong.  I just don't worry about it too much.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1258 on: November 01, 2019, 02:13:39 PM »
Anakin is the chosen one and is the most powerful jedi ever. Mentally he was a basket case so maybe that's why he was defeated.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: November 04, 2019, 08:05:28 PM »

:dunno:  I try not to get too hung up on stuff like that.  Whichever position you want to argue, you can find as many inconsistencies as you want to show that the other side is wrong.

As long as you have the high ground, you will win.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 12:10:06 PM by ZirconBlue »