Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 44141 times)

Online pg1067

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1085 on: October 22, 2020, 04:59:59 PM »
I thought I would give The Office a try and watched the first two episodes a couple days ago.

Possibly the two worst things I have ever seen on TV.  Realizing that "better" is subjective, does it get better?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online faizoff

« Reply #1086 on: October 22, 2020, 08:56:46 PM »
The first season of the US Office is a repeat of the storylines of the UK Office, after that it diverges as its own thing. But... if you haven't taken to the first two episodes then maybe the show isn't your cup of tea. I personally love the first four seasons they are pretty much flawless. They vary with different degrees later on with many highs and many lows.
The Dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #1087 on: October 22, 2020, 09:25:43 PM »
If memory serves though, the first season isn't exactly the same as the rest.  There's a slightly different vibe and a slightly different tone to the rest.   

I much prefer the British version, and maybe it's because I saw it for what it was that I didn't care for the first US season, but I liked it better as they went on. I don't think the first US season is a full season, either, so you wouldn't be wasting THAT much time riding it through.

Online pg1067

« Reply #1088 on: October 23, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »
I don't think the first US season is a full season, either, so you wouldn't be wasting THAT much time riding it through.

IMDB says 6 episodes, so maybe.  But those first two were just so BAD.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1089 on: October 23, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
I thought I would give The Office a try and watched the first two episodes a couple days ago.

Possibly the two worst things I have ever seen on TV.  Realizing that "better" is subjective, does it get better?

From Season 2 onwards it's a riot and I'm addicted to it.

As for me:

Finished season 2 of Killing Eve, funny and witty as the first I'd say, and season 1 of Babylon Berlin. Excellent period drama (noir actually), it almost makes me want to visit Berlin. It got me to reearch a bit about the Berlin of the 1920s, there's lot of fascinating stuff to discover about that era. And to think that none of the characters in the show knew what was coming to them.....

Went on with both. Finished season 3 of Killing Eve, equally nice altough a bit slow, and the second season of Babylon Berlin.

The latter one completely mesmerized me. Wonderful atmosphere, it sparkled an interest in the Weimar Republic and the Berlin of the Golden Twenties. The show does a nice job or showing both the best and the worst sides of that period, the glamour, the style and the carefree attitude on one side, and the brewing social discontent and the underlying issues that will explode into we all know whst.

The show doesn't break the fourth wall but it's broken in your mind: you're watching a society heading for a giant and catastrophic disaster and you know, unlike the protagonists, that nothing they do will matter: the show is set in 1929, in four years Hitler will rise to power, and 16 years later Berlin will be a pile of smoking rubble with nothing left standing.

If you're into period drama and noir, this show is HIGHLY reccomended. Possibly in german with english subtitles.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1090 on: October 23, 2020, 03:06:26 PM »
When it comes to the US version of The Office, the pilot is pretty much a word for word remake of the UK pilot and then it goes off on its own from there. For me they don't really start to hit their stride until season 2, the writers seemed to be able to find their version of the characters in the time off after the initial six episode run.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #1091 on: October 25, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »
Just started The Queen's Gambit on Netflix, very promising series.

Edit- killed the whole thing in a day. Outstanding drama. So good.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 06:18:11 PM by lonestar »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1092 on: October 26, 2020, 03:43:43 AM »
Started The Haunting of Bly Manor, saw the first two episodes. Those goddamn creepy kids.

The quality of Hill House and the supercute Victoria Pedretti convinced me to give it a try, after all it's Halloween week and I needed a scary show to get in the mood  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1093 on: October 27, 2020, 11:03:50 PM »
Started The Haunting of Bly Manor, saw the first two episodes. Those goddamn creepy kids.

The quality of Hill House and the supercute Victoria Pedretti convinced me to give it a try, after all it's Halloween week and I needed a scary show to get in the mood  :D

Looking to start this one too, I didn't love Hill House, but enjoyed it enough to want to check the next story out. 

I just watched a couple documentaries:

The Social Dilemma - Pretty good.  Thought the acted scenes were a bit cheesy, but made their point.  I work in the online ad industry so this wasn't a huge revelation to me, but moreso seeing the people who actually made the tech sit back and say "whoa we created a monster" is pretty eye opening.  Definitely recommend this, especially for parents who are trying to raise kids in todays tech world.

Wild Card: The Downfall of a Radio Loudmouth - Alright.  I was really interested because I used to listen to Boomer and Carton on WFAN fairly regularly on my morning commute and I always hated Carton.  Was a bit surprised to see him get arrested and all of the sudden off the air so I wanted to get the scoop.  I felt this was totally one sided as it was his story told by him.  It had no interviews with the investors and it had no interviews with family members.  It almost came off as him paying for HBO to make a doc not make him look like a gambling degenerate so it didn't change opinion.  Id recommend it if you are familiar with him, if not, I'm not sure how it would interest anyone. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1094 on: Today at 05:38:37 AM »
This is Us premier last night.  Boy, they jumped RIGHT in to all the social issues in the first 4 minutes.
Looking at my most recent posts, it almost seems like I'm trying to become the Common Sense of DTF :lol
You'd have an easier time trying to bring the internet to the Amish.
Turns out chlamydia tastes pretty good.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1095 on: Today at 06:05:29 AM »

Looking to start this one too, I didn't love Hill House, but enjoyed it enough to want to check the next story out. 

I'm at 6 episodes out of 9 and it's very good. If they don't botch up the ending it's gonna go down as a very great season.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1096 on: Today at 08:22:06 AM »
Watched a mini series (Four 20 ish min episodes) on Netflix called Song Exploder that is based off a podcast with the same name.

It's super interesting and each episode deconstructs a song from an artist and the host talks with the singer on parts of each track. He gets the individual stems from the record company and plays it back to the artist and asks them questions on each part.

I found all four episodes super interesting even though I am not familiar with the songs or listen to the artists that much.

The first four are:

1. Alicia Keys with "3 Hour Drive" (featuring Sampha) from her 2020 album Alicia
2. Lin-Manuel Miranda with "Wait for It" from the 2015 musical Hamilton
3. R.E.M. with "Losing My Religion", from their 1991 album Out of Time
4. Ty Dolla $ign with "LA", from his 2015 debut album Free TC

Looks like they have four more lined up for release on December 15, 2020 :

Nine Inch Nails - 'Hurt"
Dua Lipa – “Love Again”
The Killers – “When You Were Young”
Natalia Lafourcade – “Hasta La Raíz”
« Last Edit: Today at 08:55:40 AM by faizoff »
The Dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #1097 on: Today at 08:46:59 AM »
This is Us premier last night.  Boy, they jumped RIGHT in to all the social issues in the first 4 minutes.

I have it taped, but if that's the case, then  :tdwn  That show - one of my favorites, mind you - is best when it's about the family interactions.   They NAILED that part, especially the progression of the mom and dad from 70's "shut up and eat your beans" parenting, to the more compassionate parenting that (some) engage in today.  NOTE PERFECT.    The struggle of Kevin to balance his alcoholism/demons while still being nominally successful in both work and life...  NOTE PERFECT.   The whole "Randall buys buildings and renovates them for the community"...  I go and get a snack.