Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 252257 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #1085 on: May 13, 2019, 06:01:18 AM »
Did you see this?

https://www.facebook.com/nerdbotmedia/videos/335748497087223/

Okay, THAT is pretty cool.

Indeed.  That was wicked.

Regarding The Last Jedi, I hold that it's a badly written movie with three (to my memory) fantastic scenes. The scene where the one ship flies through the fleet is just breathtaking. Kylo and Rey vs. the red dudes is mostly amazing. Luke vs. Kylo is also amazing.

The rest I'd probably put around Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith (which I don't think of nearly as highly as everyone else, and consider it the 2nd worst movie).

Nailed it (though I do like RotS).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1086 on: May 13, 2019, 06:47:41 AM »
I have a theory that people only like Revenge of the Sith because they sit through both The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones first, and pretty much anything would seem good after doing that. :neverusethis:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: May 13, 2019, 06:53:26 AM »
I have a theory that people only like Revenge of the Sith because they sit through both The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones first, and pretty much anything would seem good after doing that. :neverusethis:

Fair point.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1088 on: May 13, 2019, 08:19:34 AM »
I would tend to agree.

Regarding The Last Jedi, I hold that it's a badly written movie with three (to my memory) fantastic scenes.
I disagree with your characterization of the film, but I think it's a perfect description of the entire prequel trilogy.  A badly written three films, with three (or so) fantastic scenes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1089 on: May 13, 2019, 09:59:25 AM »

My best friend stands firmly behind his opinion that Sith is one of the best Star Wars films, and easily the best of the prequels. I have tried several times to get him to sit through RedLetterMedia's review of ROTS, and he never makes it more than 20 minutes before losing his shit.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1090 on: May 13, 2019, 10:00:40 AM »
I maintain that people like Sith cause it's really dark and has lots of fighting. People love that stuff. Look at the praise for modern GoT.

I would actually put Phantom Menace above it. I really thought Sith was an awful movie that somehow...SOMEHOW....Clones managed to be worse than. Which, in and of itself, is a great achievement.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1091 on: May 13, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
I have tried several times to get him to sit through RedLetterMedia's review of ROTS, and he never makes it more than 20 minutes before losing his shit.  :lol

A review that's longer than 20 minutes?!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: May 13, 2019, 10:26:00 AM »
I have tried several times to get him to sit through RedLetterMedia's review of ROTS, and he never makes it more than 20 minutes before losing his shit.  :lol

Brother, you're about to get introduced to the world of longform YouTube reviews, and RedLetterMedia's Mr. Plinkett Star Wars reviews are some of the best out there. Set aside 2 hours or watch it in spurts, it's a hilariously brutal takedown of the movie. He's got others, too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1093 on: May 13, 2019, 10:28:11 AM »

Brother, you're about to get introduced to the world of longform YouTube reviews, and RedLetterMedia's Mr. Plinkett Star Wars reviews are some of the best out there. Set aside 2 hours or watch it in spurts, it's a hilariously brutal takedown of the movie. He's got others, too.

Realistically, the chances that I'll sit through a review that's roughly the same length as the movie are none and less than none.  The closest I'd get to something like that are the Cinema Sins "everything that's wrong with" series.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: May 13, 2019, 10:29:45 AM »

Realistically, the chances that I'll sit through a review that's roughly the same length as the movie are none and less than none.  The closest I'd get to something like that are the Cinema Sins "everything that's wrong with" series.

That's fair. I go deep down the rabbit hole watching incredibly lengthy longform videos on YouTube so I personally love them, but I still do recommend watching them if you're ever in the mood for some funny, super nerdy Star Wars critiquing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: May 13, 2019, 10:36:57 AM »
Regarding The Last Jedi, I hold that it's a badly written movie with three (to my memory) fantastic scenes.

I agree with this assessment. TLJ (and in lots of ways many modern movies) is like Wrestlemania. WM has become less about individual matches and more about moments. They even tout them as "Wrestlemania Moments." It's no longer about Steamboat/Savage at WM3 or Austin/Hart at WM13. TLJ felt that way: some great scenes and amazing visuals buried among a slog of mediocre storytelling and character development.

In real time, liked RotS  (and even AotC) much more than TPS, Simply because I cared about what I was seeing. I didn't care about anything that was happening in TPS. Nothing was remotely compelling about a trade embargo, the unplanned detour to Tatooine and picking up young Anakin, the boring Senate debates. The other two were flawed and hokey at parts but at least I cared about the hokeyness.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1096 on: May 14, 2019, 06:29:45 PM »
Well apparently now it's official that the first Star Wars movie (in 2022) after Episode 9 will be one of the ones by the Game of Thrones guys.  https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/14/18623128/star-wars-movie-2022-game-of-thrones-benioff-weiss-bob-iger-rian-johnson-disney

My first reaction was being glad, as I really don't feel all that much excitement for a Rian Johnson trilogy.  Episode 1:Broom Kid and His Broom Saber. 

Honestly though I've not seen a single episode of Game of Thrones so I'm basically indifferent. 

On the bright side, I loved The Force Awakens (second favorite SW film for me behind A New Hope), so Episode 9 with JJ is something I really look forward to.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1097 on: May 14, 2019, 11:38:41 PM »

I don’t even like review videos....but I will watch those Plinket reviews over and over. They are hilarious!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1098 on: May 15, 2019, 07:17:05 AM »
Well apparently now it's official that the first Star Wars movie (in 2022) after Episode 9 will be one of the ones by the Game of Thrones guys.  https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/14/18623128/star-wars-movie-2022-game-of-thrones-benioff-weiss-bob-iger-rian-johnson-disney

My first reaction was being glad, as I really don't feel all that much excitement for a Rian Johnson trilogy.  Episode 1:Broom Kid and His Broom Saber. 

Honestly though I've not seen a single episode of Game of Thrones so I'm basically indifferent. 

On the bright side, I loved The Force Awakens (second favorite SW film for me behind A New Hope), so Episode 9 with JJ is something I really look forward to.
I personally wouldn't be surprised in the Rian Johnson trilogy has been quietly scrapped. We have the Star Wars release calendar through 2026, which includes on the trilogy by the GOT guys. What are the chances Johnson waits around for 8+ years to make his trilogy?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1099 on: May 15, 2019, 04:49:03 PM »
I just imagine the faces of the suits over at Disney when they scrap the Rian Johnson trilogy because of the TLJ reactions to fast track a trilogy by the GoT guys only to see the controversies over GoT s8. "oh crap".  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1100 on: May 17, 2019, 02:25:07 PM »
I wish Disney the best of luck with Benioff and Weiss. Looking at the screenplay career of Benioff, I do think he is talented, some great films and fantastic Game of Thrones seasons on his name. But there is a stark difference between adaptions/remakes and new stories. The Kite Runner and Brothers (great) vs Wolverine: Origins and Stay (hot garbage) for example. My gut feeling is that Benioff is not the guy Star Wars needs right now (an exciting new storyline), especially after The Last Jedi. Not sure what Weiss' role is, I think he wrote some books before GoT but am not familiar with his material.

Rian Johnson has some great potential in my opinion, but not for a major family blockbuster trilogy. A separate film doing some entirely different (a mystery film set in the Star Wars universe or something). The way they approached the current trilogy was not that great either. Should've been Abrahams for the entire thing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:35:58 PM by ErHaO »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1101 on: May 17, 2019, 06:02:28 PM »
Whatever they do with the GOT guy's trilogy, I sincerely hope they have them write out a detailed plot for all three movies before they start. 1. That prevents them from slacking off when they're ready to move on after several years of working on Star Wars. 2. It ensures there are no issues like in Ep 8 where the director/writer clearly didn't care for some of the things the Ep 7 director/writer did. Given that the Star Wars brass have no issue replacing people who aren't working out, I'm not too worried about it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: May 30, 2019, 08:36:58 PM »
So I am about a billion times more excited to check out Galaxy's Edge than Ep9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmqzaIeNRI

Stay till the end for Ford's tribute.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1103 on: May 30, 2019, 08:46:25 PM »
I could see myself checking out Galaxy's edge at some point down the road. Definitely gonna wait for the hype to die down

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1104 on: May 31, 2019, 11:32:55 AM »
I'm going to be in Disneyland in September. Hopefully Galaxy's Edge won't be so busy by then. My wife is fairly anti-SW for some dumb reason (mostly because she's annoyed by violence in kid's movies, which I guess isn't so dumb), so we won't be spending a lot of time there, but I hope to at least take a stroll through. Definitely not going wait in line for hours to go on the Millennium Falcon ride.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1105 on: May 31, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »
I'm going to be in Disneyland in September. Hopefully Galaxy's Edge won't be so busy by then. My wife is fairly anti-SW for some dumb reason (mostly because she's annoyed by violence in kid's movies, which I guess isn't so dumb), so we won't be spending a lot of time there, but I hope to at least take a stroll through. Definitely not going wait in line for hours to go on the Millennium Falcon ride.

It's going to be busy for a few years, at least.  And from what I heard, there will be lines just to get into the land itself.  The only thing that might save you somewhat is if you are going during the week in September, because kids will be back in school.  Even if that's the case, I recommend trying to hit it right at rope drop or late at night (and night might actually be a bad idea because kids will go after school and other locals after work).

Hopefully, Rise of the Resistance is open by then.  Even if that line is long, from everything I've heard, it's going to be amazing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom

Offline kaos2900

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1109 on: August 16, 2019, 08:15:14 AM »
I'm all for this.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/16/ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-kenobi-disney-star-wars

Yep. Love the idea of it being a series (I think that’s what’s implied?) where they can really tell a story rather than cramming it into a movie or two.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: August 16, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »
I'm all for this.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/16/ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-kenobi-disney-star-wars

Yep. Love the idea of it being a series (I think that’s what’s implied?) where they can really tell a story rather than cramming it into a movie or two.

This.

Giddy-the-fuck-up!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1111 on: August 16, 2019, 01:45:40 PM »
I was watching Screen Junkies and they joked the series should be a sequel and not a prequel. So just ghost Obi-wan hanging out with all the other ghost Jedis.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1112 on: August 16, 2019, 01:52:54 PM »
As much as I like the idea of exploring the character beyond just a single 2 hours movie, I'll say I'd rather see it on the big screen than on my TV. Sounds like it will be 6 one hour episode based on rumors I've heard. That could have been it's own trilogy of films. I'm excited about it for sure, just wish I could watch it in a theater.

It's looking more and more like Disney+ will be the first streaming service I actually pay for instead of just doing the free trial every now and then to catch up on things I've missed.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1113 on: August 17, 2019, 06:23:28 AM »
Really interested in The Mandalorian, mostly because i've been waiting for a proper live-action series set in the Star Wars universe.  :tup

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1114 on: August 18, 2019, 10:19:36 AM »
2 separate thoughts.

1) Just watched Solo for the first time. Thought it was a fun movie. It didn't inform the character of Solo much for me, but it didn't need to, nor did I really care for it to. I enjoyed it. Thought the Solo actor (not going to try and type his name from memory) did a fine job in role that potentially set him up for failure and criticism. Still to this day have a hard time Seeing Woody Harrelson as anyone but Woody from Cheers.

2) Anyone here ever listen to the Star Wars radio series? It came up as I was scrolling through YT last night. I had no idea it even existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(radio_series)

https://youtu.be/0-29uKdckL4

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1115 on: August 20, 2019, 02:59:13 PM »
Yeah, I enjoyed Solo as well.  Given how badly it was slagged, I went into it with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by how good it is. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1116 on: August 21, 2019, 06:18:20 AM »
Yeah, I enjoyed Solo as well.  Given how badly it was slagged, I went into it with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by how good it is. 
I felt the same way. I'm disappointed the left it open for sequels that we'll likely never get. Disney+ series maybe?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1117 on: August 23, 2019, 10:05:00 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1118 on: August 23, 2019, 12:04:57 PM »
I really hope that show is as good as it looks like it could be.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: August 23, 2019, 10:11:28 PM »
Just announced at #D23Expo: Ewan McGregor will reprise his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in a new original series, coming to #DisneyPlus.