Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 252814 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #1155 on: September 10, 2019, 09:25:34 AM »
And that Luke should have been a badass who "ignited the green" and started cutting people down like "Darth Vader at the end of Rogue One". This is actually something I've heard from a lot of people

I will admit that I was one of those people. I had this notion in my mind that they were going to portray Luke as this 'Ultimate Jedi Warrior' and he was just going to have these immaculate light saber fight scenes and powerful demonstrations of the force. My first viewing of the movie I was really 'upset' at the way it all went down.

Then, I saw it again the next day and that second watch once 'my' thoughts on how it 'should' have been done were out of the way.....made me appreciate what they did with him. He truly was an 'ultimate Jedi Warrior' and he did demonstrate incredible power of the force. I've thought his story/arc was perfect every since.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1156 on: September 10, 2019, 11:25:57 AM »
Has anyone here read the Aftermath series?  I have heard about it and read a brief synopsis of the "history" of the period between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, but had not read this trilogy until recently.  I only just finished the first book, and it's a really fun read.  I think it does a really good job of portraying a realistic aftermath of the battle of Endor would look like, and the consequences to the Empire, the Alliance/Rebellion, and the rest of the galaxy.  And at the same time, it manages to tell a fun story.  If anyone is jonesing for some pre-TFA Star Wars story to set the stage for The Rise of Skywalker, I would highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:34:55 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1157 on: September 11, 2019, 01:43:36 PM »
Has anyone here read the Aftermath series?  I have heard about it and read a brief synopsis of the "history" of the period between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, but had not read this trilogy until recently.  I only just finished the first book, and it's a really fun read.  I think it does a really good job of portraying a realistic aftermath of the battle of Endor would look like, and the consequences to the Empire, the Alliance/Rebellion, and the rest of the galaxy.  And at the same time, it manages to tell a fun story.  If anyone is jonesing for some pre-TFA Star Wars story to set the stage for The Rise of Skywalker, I would highly recommend it.
Haven't read it, but I wouldn't mind doing so when I get some time/clear space on my reading list.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1158 on: September 11, 2019, 02:46:30 PM »
Does anybody know what the deal is with the Clone Wars show? I recently got the urge to finally go and check it out, and it looks like it's off Netflix but I also haven't seen any mention of plans for it to be on Disney+
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1159 on: September 11, 2019, 03:08:48 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't be on D+.  I hope it doesn't fall through the cracks, because I haven't seen a lot of it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1160 on: September 11, 2019, 06:06:04 PM »
They are making a new, final season for the Clone Wars series on Disney+. I believe all the other seasons will be on it as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: September 11, 2019, 07:01:26 PM »
They are making a new, final season for the Clone Wars series on Disney+. I believe all the other seasons will be on it as well.

I may rewatch it all. I LOVED the Clone War series.....and there’s a good chance I may be in love with Ahsoka

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1162 on: September 12, 2019, 12:10:28 PM »

I may rewatch it all. I LOVED the Clone War series.....and there’s a good chance I may be in love with Ahsoka

This. I actually just started my re-watch. Almost done with Season 1.  ;D

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1163 on: September 23, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »
Kind of a side tangent but I got to go into Galaxy's Edge at Hollywood Studios in Disney and they did a really great job at building an incredibly detailed setpiece to walk around in. The street performances are neat since you constantly have storm troopers and Kylo Ren walking around asking guests if they've seen rebels roaming around while you have cast members dressed as Rey and other rebels weaving in and out of the crowd and hiding around buildings/crates like you're in the middle of a big play.

The only ride, Smuggler's Run, is a bit lackluster even though it's a good idea wrapped up in the fact that a couple of people in your group could shorten the whole experience by not paying attention. For anyone who doesn't know you're set up in a "crew" of six people who each have jobs running a ship for a bounty hunter/smuggler dude so you're all basically in control of the ride experience meaning a pilot can actually crash the damn thing if they're not paying attention. It's a good attempt but I could see the whole thing being heavily tweaked as most people are lukewarm on it and considering Disney knocked it out of the park with Flight of Passage in Pandora they should really step it up for their own actual IP.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1164 on: September 24, 2019, 06:39:31 AM »
Heading to Galaxy's Edge today in Disneyland. I know they are working on another ride that's supposed to be fantastic and the longest ride in any Disney park from what I understand. Opening later this year.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1165 on: September 26, 2019, 01:51:55 AM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-s-kevin-feige-developing-star-wars-movie-disney-1243481

Kevin Feige moves over to Lucasfilm to co-develop a Star Wars movie with Kathleen Kennedy! I don't think that he is planning to step away from Marvel forever though..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1166 on: October 01, 2019, 02:23:26 PM »
So I got linked to a RedLetterMedia video from some other YouTube videos I was watching a little while back.  I listened to a few from their Half in the Bag series, as well as their Rise of Skywalker "predictions" video.  My opinion has not changed since I first saw one of theirs a long while back.  They are just incredibly juvenile and unfunny, and I'm not sure why they even have an audience.  But more to the point, they can't even get half of their facts about what actually happened in the films correct and, by their own admissions, don't even care about Star Wars anymore.  In the end, I couldn't really take any of their criticisms seriously.  Just seemed like pretty standard, tired Internet whining to me. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1167 on: October 02, 2019, 01:43:05 PM »
Kind of a side tangent but I got to go into Galaxy's Edge at Hollywood Studios in Disney and they did a really great job at building an incredibly detailed setpiece to walk around in. The street performances are neat since you constantly have storm troopers and Kylo Ren walking around asking guests if they've seen rebels roaming around while you have cast members dressed as Rey and other rebels weaving in and out of the crowd and hiding around buildings/crates like you're in the middle of a big play.

The only ride, Smuggler's Run, is a bit lackluster even though it's a good idea wrapped up in the fact that a couple of people in your group could shorten the whole experience by not paying attention. For anyone who doesn't know you're set up in a "crew" of six people who each have jobs running a ship for a bounty hunter/smuggler dude so you're all basically in control of the ride experience meaning a pilot can actually crash the damn thing if they're not paying attention. It's a good attempt but I could see the whole thing being heavily tweaked as most people are lukewarm on it and considering Disney knocked it out of the park with Flight of Passage in Pandora they should really step it up for their own actual IP.
I got to hang out in the Galaxy's Edge area of Disneyland a few different times over the last week and a half and I can say that it's absolutely incredible what they've done to make it feel like you're in a Star Wars movie. It was a really enjoyable experience overall. Seeing the Falcon sitting there, and Chewie trying to avoid being seen by Stormtroopers was really cool. I didn't see any other characters unfortunately. I agree that the Smuggler's Run ride wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, but was still fun. Walking into the waiting area, which is modeled after the interior of the Falcon was more enjoyable than the ride itself. Though I will say that I got chills when I got to pull down the lever to make the jump to hyperspace. Hopefully the ride can be modified over the years to add new missions and increase the fun in riding it multiple times. I'm really looking forward to the second ride opening, though it's unlikely I'll be able to get there anytime soon to go on it. Too damn expensive.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1168 on: October 15, 2019, 08:28:04 AM »
So I finally got around to that Last Jedi rewatch I alluded to earlier. I was only able to watch the first hour, but the main thing that stood out is how much humor there is. For me personally, they probably could have toned it down a bit. Some bits - such as Luke slapping away Rey's hand during training - are genuinely hilarious, but some fell a bit flat for me. Otherwise, I must say that I generally enjoyed the first third of the film!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1169 on: October 21, 2019, 11:33:19 AM »
Final Rise of Skywalker trailer dropping tonight during half time of MNF. Also tickets go on sale today as well!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1170 on: October 21, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »
:caffeine: 

Oh, and also:

:caffeine:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: October 21, 2019, 04:50:55 PM »
Final Rise of Skywalker trailer dropping tonight during half time of MNF. Also tickets go on sale today as well!

Yeah I just saw the trailer of the trailer, kind of pointless but I am HYPED!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1172 on: October 21, 2019, 06:16:13 PM »
Can't wait for the movie! already got my tickets for opening night! Two month wait will be torture.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: October 21, 2019, 07:57:55 PM »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1174 on: October 22, 2019, 05:26:56 AM »
I'm so damn excited for this movie. It better be good!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1175 on: October 22, 2019, 06:23:23 AM »
I'm really pumped for the movie, not just for the movie itself, but for the experience. Now that Avengers and Game of Thrones are finished, Star Wars will be the last thing for a while that basically everyone goes to see (unless I am forgetting something).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: October 22, 2019, 06:43:02 AM »
That trailer looks great!!  I have full confidence JJ will pull this off...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1177 on: October 22, 2019, 06:50:56 AM »
I'm really pumped for the movie, not just for the movie itself, but for the experience. Now that Avengers and Game of Thrones are finished, Star Wars will be the last thing for a while that basically everyone goes to see (unless I am forgetting something).

:chino:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: October 22, 2019, 07:02:51 AM »

That one too. It’s gonna be insane

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1179 on: October 22, 2019, 07:40:35 AM »

Did somebody say "pointless" somewhere in the thread?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1180 on: October 22, 2019, 07:58:34 AM »
LOVED the trailer.  Can't wait to see this film!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1181 on: October 22, 2019, 08:00:18 AM »
Yup, it did it's job--showed enough to make you excited for the film without really giving too much plot away.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1182 on: October 22, 2019, 08:07:10 AM »
Sigh. I mean... yeah it looks epic. But I know so little about these characters that I just can't get excited about it. Cool visuals, that's about all I've got so far.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1183 on: October 22, 2019, 08:07:55 AM »
Sigh. I mean... yeah it looks epic. But I know so little about these characters that I just can't get excited about it. Cool visuals, that's about all I've got so far.

Similar here.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1184 on: October 22, 2019, 08:15:07 AM »
I was hyped to go see Last Jedi and left disappointed. Nothing they have shown so far has gotten me re-interested to go see this next one.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1185 on: October 22, 2019, 08:21:17 AM »
Curious what you all think the importance of Rey's lineage is in regards to the story line.

To me I feel it's of zero importance, and I feel they are forcing that arc upon us.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1186 on: October 22, 2019, 08:23:36 AM »
I got my tickets for the Saturday afternoon (earliest showing with decent seats left) but I’m not nearly as pumped for this as everyone else seems to be.

I gotta give JJ credit. He has mastered the art of creating things enjoyable to the most amount of people. But I also think that’s an issue with me. Little of what he does seems very inspired. It seems more like a brilliant dude found a genius way to make what has the most mass appeal. So many of his movies (though certainly not all) feel like the best possible product of a board meeting dictating fan expectations. Like his movies are amazing candy. You get a great sugar rush and it tastes awesome but there’s little that stays with you or feeds you.

Also might just be me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1187 on: October 22, 2019, 08:32:03 AM »
I got my tickets for the Saturday afternoon (earliest showing with decent seats left) but I’m not nearly as pumped for this as everyone else seems to be.

I gotta give JJ credit. He has mastered the art of creating things enjoyable to the most amount of people. But I also think that’s an issue with me. Little of what he does seems very inspired. It seems more like a brilliant dude found a genius way to make what has the most mass appeal. So many of his movies (though certainly not all) feel like the best possible product of a board meeting dictating fan expectations. Like his movies are amazing candy. You get a great sugar rush and it tastes awesome but there’s little that stays with you or feeds you.

Also might just be me.

I don't think it's just you at all. While I usually enjoy (and sometimes really enjoy) his movies, I totally get where you're coming from. The interesting thing to me is that I feel as though Rian Johnson genuinely tried a different approach with TLJ, and it obviously didn't work out so well for many people. Ultimately, I think that there is a very delicate line with these Star Wars movies. Maybe an impossible line, even.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1188 on: October 22, 2019, 08:34:24 AM »

Also might just be me.

I don't really have a problem with that description.  But I also don't really have a problem with that concept either.  It's Star Wars, so it's meant to be a fun rush, and not really meant to "feed" you.  It is movie candy.  And that can still be very satisfying, but for very different reasons than something that inspires serious thought, or reflection, or provokes "deeper" emotions. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1189 on: October 22, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »
The Force Awakens is a total candy rush but not in a good way. First time I saw it I was floored by the visuals and the action. And then second viewing... wait a minute. It's just a remake of the old trilogy right down to the discovery and destruction of a planet sized weapon in one film. Like they're just cramming ten pounds of "hey remember this?! REMEMBER THIS?!" into a five pound bag that's already stuffed with bland undeveloped material as is. I can't wait to once again not know anything about Poe or Finn by the end of this movie or learn anything else about Snoke or Captain Phasma or Maz Tanaka... rabble rabble rabble I know I'm being grumpy but c'mon these movies have been so f'ing lazy outside of visuals and scared to death to break out of the Skywalkers and all things related to the first three films
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"