Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1207097 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« Reply #7455 on: January 26, 2016, 08:36:32 AM »
Listened to TGoM. Sounded like something from 6D but with 3x more drums than necessary.

Listened to MoB. Also sounded like something from 6D, but only twice the drums necessary. Much more to my liking.

All in all, don't care for the drums and the drum sound in particular. The guy's insanely talented and he's playing in DT, so the only possible thing to do is to overplay the shit out of everything to the detriment of a nice grove. But, at the same time the music isn't bad and I'll be damned if I don't want to see the guy play it live.

One particular spot where I was really wishing the drums weren't there was in TGoM 3:24-3:39. Without drums, that section would be prime-rib "An evening with JP and JR" style stuff, which I would have looooved. The drums totally dominate that section though.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rab7

« Reply #7456 on: January 26, 2016, 08:37:20 AM »
Keep in mind that 99.99% of the world don't kniw DT.

700,000 people doesn't seem like much. I think they have much more fans than that.

Online BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7457 on: January 26, 2016, 08:40:02 AM »
"Anyone who still says they miss former drummer Mike Portnoy and prefer him over Mangini is just saying so to be a contrarian." is so obvious... you don´t even need to say it. It´s like saying that water is wet or something like that.  :hat

What a load of garbage.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7458 on: January 26, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »
I haven't commented much about this album since it was announced so if I may comment on the dreaded snare, it does sound way better than the over compressed blanketed snare of DT12, but it's just a tiny bit too loud.

I think TGOM and MOB are great songs. :tup

Offline dparrott

« Reply #7459 on: January 26, 2016, 08:48:15 AM »
I've been dying to listen to samples and I miss them???  :facepalm: Hurry up interwebs!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #7460 on: January 26, 2016, 08:58:15 AM »
Can someone explain to me how MM is overplaying? The sound itself is mechanical yes, but MP overplayed far more often IMO. I think MM is much more tasteful so I'm really confused.
I believe MP hardly ever overplayed and nor for that matter Mangini. I did like Portnoy's creativity and inventiveness more though; he had a much larger repertoire because of his HUGE range of influences.  :tup
I also find Portnoy to 'overuse' his influences quite a bit.

Muse-meets-Yes-meets-PinkFloyd-meets-FrankZappa-meets-Beatles-meets-Metallica-meets-Maiden-meets-U2

Indeed. But, man, even if his bag of tricks had become a little stale, the guy was still capable of fantastic drum parts or in any case, much more to my liking than MM has done for DT up to now.

B.Lee

Edit : I may be able to get The Astonishing at my mocal store as early as Thursday, which leaves me all Thursday evening and since I don't work then, all Friday morning to immerse myself in the experience. Can't wait!

I'm seriously stoked for this album. As I am :neverusethis: for every DT album. I want to say this though.... Can we please stop with the MM/MP comparison? Yes, they are different drummers. Yes, they have different equipment--Portnoy played Tama, Mangini plays Pearl--so they're going to sound different. They have different playing styles so no matter how it's produced or mixed, they will never sound the same. I don't think MP is better or worse than Mangini, or vice versa. The debate is old and tired. The band has moved on, as has MP. Can we?

/rant.

Can't wait till Friday!!!! :metal

Carry on.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7461 on: January 26, 2016, 09:04:22 AM »
Not Bandcamp's fault.
Well, clearly their systems weren't adequate at preventing this from happening, so I don't think they're entirely blameless. That said, their response time seems to have been very quick, which I'll give them credit for!

We shall see how quick their response time is to give me my money back.  Ive already filed a paypal dispute.  Man I cant believe I got scammed!
It's an interesting point, I don't know how refunds work with digital downloads. I mean, you presumably did get the mp3s, you just (accidentally) got them from an illegal source. It's not like you can give them back or anything. I'm not sure what the answer is, really. Though I imagine most people who paid through bandcamp in the short time the page was there are probably almost all people who want to support the band and will buy a legit copy if they get a refund.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7462 on: January 26, 2016, 09:28:47 AM »
"Anyone who still says they miss former drummer Mike Portnoy and prefer him over Mangini is just saying so to be a contrarian." is so obvious... you don´t even need to say it. It´s like saying that water is wet or something like that.  :hat

What a load of garbage.

I agree, I have a friend who actually told me he misses Portnoy because of how he used to hit his head with his hand while playing and myself as a DT fan -who doesn't miss Portnoy the least bit- thought to myself "Oh yeah.. I do miss Portnoy for that"
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7463 on: January 26, 2016, 10:29:40 AM »
Not Bandcamp's fault.
Well, clearly their systems weren't adequate at preventing this from happening, so I don't think they're entirely blameless. That said, their response time seems to have been very quick, which I'll give them credit for!

We shall see how quick their response time is to give me my money back.  Ive already filed a paypal dispute.  Man I cant believe I got scammed!
It's an interesting point, I don't know how refunds work with digital downloads. I mean, you presumably did get the mp3s, you just (accidentally) got them from an illegal source. It's not like you can give them back or anything.
That's what I was thinking.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7464 on: January 26, 2016, 10:41:57 AM »
I'm curious which song title is the most accurate for The Astonishing, is it "The Best of Times" or "A Nightmare to Remember"?

I'll probably check it out, but got other albums higher on the priority and a lot of work related things at the moment.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #7465 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »
Not Bandcamp's fault.

It's an interesting point, I don't know how refunds work with digital downloads. I mean, you presumably did get the mp3s, you just (accidentally) got them from an illegal source. It's not like you can give them back or anything.

the sale was an act of fraud, and the people who bought did so under false pretenses...I'd think that is pretty good ground for reversing the transaction, even though the purchaser has the mp3s.

Also, the money has to go somewhere...either the site gives it to the fraudsters anyway (bad look for the site, as it incentives the behavior, and might even be illegal), the site keeps it (again, bad look for the site, as they would be profiting off of illegal use of their site), or the $ is refunded to the purchaser.  If I'm the site, I'm falling all over myself to give refunds.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7466 on: January 26, 2016, 10:44:11 AM »
I'm curious which song title is the most accurate for The Astonishing, is it "The Best of Times" or "A Nightmare to Remember"?
I think both are accurate on this case  :lol

Offline volwrath

« Reply #7467 on: January 26, 2016, 11:35:41 AM »

It's an interesting point, I don't know how refunds work with digital downloads. I mean, you presumably did get the mp3s, you just (accidentally) got them from an illegal source. It's not like you can give them back or anything. I'm not sure what the answer is, really. Though I imagine most people who paid through bandcamp in the short time the page was there are probably almost all people who want to support the band and will buy a legit copy if they get a refund.

Probably the most humorous thing about it is that I didn't actually download them yet.  I bought them, and then got pulled to a meeting at work, so was not able to download. 

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #7468 on: January 26, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
Not Bandcamp's fault.

the sale was an act of fraud, and the people who bought did so under false pretenses...I'd think that is pretty good ground for reversing the transaction, even though the purchaser has the mp3s.

Also, the money has to go somewhere...either the site gives it to the fraudsters anyway (bad look for the site, as it incentives the behavior, and might even be illegal), the site keeps it (again, bad look for the site, as they would be profiting off of illegal use of their site), or the $ is refunded to the purchaser.  If I'm the site, I'm falling all over myself to give refunds.

Back in Oct there was a fake Death Cube K album put up on Bandcamp, a few people bought it. Once Bandcamp shut the page down, eveyone that bought one got their money back.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7469 on: January 26, 2016, 01:27:21 PM »
"Proudly display your allegiance to your side by using our photo booth. Post your images using ‪#‎TheAstonishing‬"

https://theastonishing.photomusicbooth.com/

Anyone will have a go at it?  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #7470 on: January 26, 2016, 01:29:37 PM »
"Proudly display your allegiance to your side by using our photo booth. Post your images using ‪#‎TheAstonishing‬"

It's tempting. Maybe I'll do it.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline darkshade

« Reply #7471 on: January 26, 2016, 01:46:26 PM »
I intend on TA being the first DT album I don't listen to the leak/free stream before release since 8vm. Glad I stuck to it.   :corn

Offline thosava

« Reply #7472 on: January 26, 2016, 01:53:22 PM »
I have made the desicion to stay away from the internet untill my CD arrives in the mail. I will not be tempted to download the album this time. See you on thursday or friday!

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #7473 on: January 26, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »
The question is: will we get another update today?

Well, the marketing schedule has been flexible and has changed on the fly quite a bit, but there is supposed to be something else released before 1/29 according to the last schedule I have, so stay tuned.  Hopefully, it happens.  But even if it doesn't, we will have the album before we know it!

Is this what you were talking about, bosk? If not, publishing a new update is becoming more and more pointless to me as we get so close to the release date :sad:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7474 on: January 26, 2016, 02:04:46 PM »
Nope.  Not it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7475 on: January 26, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »

LOL just tried this and it's fairly pointless.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7476 on: January 26, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »

I would but I don't do instagram.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7477 on: January 26, 2016, 02:17:32 PM »
We're running out of days for updates to happen. Tomorrow or Thursday, and that's it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7478 on: January 26, 2016, 02:18:39 PM »
At this point I'm anticipating finding out what the clickable eyes of the NOMACS do more than listening to the album.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7479 on: January 26, 2016, 02:28:53 PM »
At this point I'm anticipating finding out what the clickable eyes of the NOMACS do more than listening to the album.
lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7480 on: January 26, 2016, 02:33:54 PM »

I'm more excited about clicking the eyes than playing the album !  :laugh:

January 29th...

:laugh: Oh boy - here we go - what do they do ?

:'( ...play the album.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7481 on: January 26, 2016, 02:40:28 PM »
I bet the eyes do nothing and are not actually clickable after all.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #7482 on: January 26, 2016, 02:43:43 PM »

I'm more excited about clicking the eyes than playing the album !  :laugh:

January 29th...

:laugh: Oh boy - here we go - what do they do ?

:'( ...play the album.

I wouldn't be surprised if each eye links to a stream of each act.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7483 on: January 26, 2016, 02:52:14 PM »

The Astonishing prank.

:getoffmylawn: :getoffmylawn:

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7484 on: January 26, 2016, 02:53:12 PM »

Well someone on the website design team should make those buttons non-clickable then. Do they even know that the "hand" pointer appears when you hover over the red buttons? It's not my biggest concern, what they are for, but it's a huge red herring to have those buttons clickable for months and then find that they'll never take you anywhere.

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #7485 on: January 26, 2016, 02:55:02 PM »

I'll probably check it out, but got other albums higher on the priority and a lot of work related things at the moment.

The Great Debate

:biggrin:
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7486 on: January 26, 2016, 02:57:23 PM »

I'm gonna go with Slipknot's 'Disasterpiece' :neverusethis:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #7487 on: January 26, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »
A Disastrous Turn Of Events??  :corn
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7488 on: January 26, 2016, 03:10:47 PM »

Haha, something to ask to DT in future interviews.

Meanwhile on FB...... Petruci trolls us all showing off his copy of The Astonishing  :P
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #7489 on: January 26, 2016, 03:27:37 PM »
I intend on TA being the first DT album I don't listen to the leak/free stream before release since 8vm. Glad I stuck to it.   :corn

Same here - well, since SC for me anyway. Cannot believe that at midnight on Thursday I'll be listening to 120 minutes of new Dream Theater music for the first time (plus the 10 minutes we've all heard already).