Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 196417 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1015 on: March 03, 2020, 03:10:28 PM »
Running a Trail Half Marathon this sunday....it's a race I've ran every spring since 2012. It's called the 'Quivering Quads' because the State Park it's ran in (Quiver River) is nothing but hills.

Every year while I'm running it I think to myself 'Why the  :censored am I doing this?'.....but then, when I finish the race I'm always glad I did. Weather is looking nice for the week and this weekend so it should be a good one

Sounds awesome mate.

God I hate running.   :lol

I use to think like that, but love it right now.  Even after my nightly weights sessions I'm putting in a couple of km on the treadmill.  Seeing my aerobic fitness increase is great motivation.  I also love my 8-10km runs on the weekend.  A lot of running means a lot more cheating on the weekend without any damage at all and still losing fat.  That's a poor mentality and harkens back to my eating disorder days, but it is what it is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1016 on: March 03, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »
Thanks for the article, Tim. It was interesting, but didn't really say much different from what I wrote to Brother Lion...except, perhaps that I have the occasional "eating window" compressed a bit too much. I'll keep that in mind going forward.

I think what is important is that we each develop healthy eating habits in the way that works best us as individuals. My posts aren't meant to be, nor should they be, seen as authoritative. It's simply what has worked best for me and I'm sharing in the spirit of giving and receiving support. I have no interest in convincing anyone of anything, really.

Totally. I didn't take it that way. I've honestly never heard of "IF", and I've always been under the impression that skipping meals is not good long term.

I've been diabetic for 20+ years, so I try and pay attention. My wife is (not licensed) but is what I would consider a nutrition expert. I am online every night listening to music and shit, and she is online every night studying nutrition. That is when she's not exercising.

Breakfast means 'break fast' also,

W-O-A-H!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1017 on: March 03, 2020, 03:56:19 PM »
@Gary. Excellent work, my brotha! Do you try to run with "zero drop" or the "barefoot" method? What are your thoughts on the possible benefit to lessening impact damage to your sexy self?

I never have. I’ve seen some guys run barefoot and a few with those neoprene skin tight sock/shoe looking foot ware....but I’ve never done it.

I buy Trail Running tennis shoes......usually the ‘minumus’ style......meaning they are very light weight but still have the durable and textured soles. I’ve read where barefoot is actually a good approach if you can train into running that way. I just have never thought to do it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1018 on: March 03, 2020, 05:10:18 PM »
I used to do some treadmill wind-sprints... found this really neat/fun 12-minute cycle of different bursts of speed and duration, but I just don't enjoy running.  Sprinting is ok - there's a nice artificial turf field at the local high-school which is a 5 minute bike ride away, and in the summertime, I'd go there for some fresh outdoor HIIT that often involved some sprints.  But rather have a root canal than run long distances as a steady state activity.

I do have the 'five-fingers' shoes, and I love using those for sprinting activity.  I need arch supports for leg and HIIT routines, but otherwise, they work fine as general purpose exercise footwear.  They were especially convenient when I was traveling a lot - not as bulky in the suitcase.

I think we all agree that, whether it's eating or exercise, everyone should do what they enjoy and what works for them such that it's possible to maintain healthy habits.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1019 on: March 04, 2020, 06:53:09 AM »
I used to do some treadmill wind-sprints... found this really neat/fun 12-minute cycle of different bursts of speed and duration, but I just don't enjoy running.  Sprinting is ok - there's a nice artificial turf field at the local high-school which is a 5 minute bike ride away, and in the summertime, I'd go there for some fresh outdoor HIIT that often involved some sprints.  But rather have a root canal than run long distances as a steady state activity.

I do have the 'five-fingers' shoes, and I love using those for sprinting activity.  I need arch supports for leg and HIIT routines, but otherwise, they work fine as general purpose exercise footwear.  They were especially convenient when I was traveling a lot - not as bulky in the suitcase.

I think we all agree that, whether it's eating or exercise, everyone should do what they enjoy and what works for them such that it's possible to maintain healthy habits.

:lol  My wife feels the same way you do.  She doesn't understand how I can enjoy jogging.  And Frankly, I don't understand it either.  But I do for some reason.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1020 on: March 04, 2020, 07:36:25 AM »
I used to love jogging before my hips went to shit. If you're running at a comfortable pace that you can maintain for the duration of your workout, it's basically like going for a nice walk but covering more distance. We have fantastic trails (both paved and natural) throughout our river valley, so I found it quite relaxing. It's all about knowing your sweet spot in terms of pacing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: March 04, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »
I used to love jogging before my hips went to shit. If you're running at a comfortable pace that you can maintain for the duration of your workout, it's basically like going for a nice walk but covering more distance. We have fantastic trails (both paved and natural) throughout our river valley, so I found it quite relaxing. It's all about knowing your sweet spot in terms of pacing.

Yep. I’m by no means a ‘fast’ runner. My trail run pace these days is around 9:30 a mile....maybe 10:00 if it’s really demanding terrain? If I’m road running it’s a bit quicker pace but not ‘fast’ when compared to runners who are really going for it.

I have a pace that is challenging enough to maintain to where it’s a workout but not so bad to where I can still enjoy a run.

Offline H2

« Reply #1022 on: March 04, 2020, 10:45:32 AM »
Chiming in to say running is so great. I'm at about 3mi every other day. I feel close to being back to my fit self, as I was a few years ago. I was like 155lb or so and running 4-5 miles a day and had a six pack and everything. Then I went on a stupid bulk and got to like 185lb. And now I'm basically back down to 155lb, and I'm actually stronger in many ways, but my body has...changed somehow. Like I've got fat and creases in places that I didn't before. Can't stand it. I'mma keep on running.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1023 on: March 04, 2020, 03:16:13 PM »
I like HIIT. Distance/endurance running isn't my bag, baby. Kudos to those who do it, but I like weed too much to do more than HIIT.  :lol

A few days ago I ran out of coffee creamer and just decided not to buy more. I hate drinking coffee plain though (I forgot to buy more sugar/sweetener *and* was out of milk). Hooray, less sugar! But... to replace the creamer, I rekindled my obsession with biscotti. Great.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1024 on: March 04, 2020, 07:46:23 PM »
What does HIIT stand for?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1025 on: March 04, 2020, 10:29:30 PM »
What does HIIT stand for?
High intensity interval training.

I like both HITT and long steady state sessions, the latter of which do on a bicycle. I think the endurance cardio is essential to overall fitness. I use HITT workouts for strength training. Similar to CrossFit, but without the injuries or cult membership

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: March 05, 2020, 07:35:45 AM »
 :rollin
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: March 05, 2020, 08:47:58 AM »
So, four weeks ago I got measured for a new custom suit (all my current suits were way too baggy). I got it yesterday afternoon and it's beautiful. Medium gray, wool and Kashmir blend, purple lining...sweet. A new pale purple shirt to go along with it. The damned pants are a bit loose in the waist and the jacket is quite loose in the belly! Now, my weight hasn't changed an ounce in the last four weeks, but when I took it back to the tailor this morning he remeasured me and said I'm an inch smaller in my waist and three inches smaller in my belly. We've decided to not alter the suit for a couple of months to see how much more my body changes. I know, first world problems.

I had a great workout this morning. Yoga, lots of leg work and then a quick HIIT session with the weights. All before 7:00 am. Feels great!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:52:20 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: March 05, 2020, 10:30:57 AM »
Awesome stuff Gregg.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: March 05, 2020, 01:58:27 PM »
So, four weeks ago I got measured for a new custom suit (all my current suits were way too baggy). I got it yesterday afternoon and it's beautiful. Medium gray, wool and Kashmir blend, purple lining...sweet. A new pale purple shirt to go along with it. The damned pants are a bit loose in the waist and the jacket is quite loose in the belly! Now, my weight hasn't changed an ounce in the last four weeks, but when I took it back to the tailor this morning he remeasured me and said I'm an inch smaller in my waist and three inches smaller in my belly. We've decided to not alter the suit for a couple of months to see how much more my body changes. I know, first world problems.

I had a great workout this morning. Yoga, lots of leg work and then a quick HIIT session with the weights. All before 7:00 am. Feels great!

Awesome stuff mate.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1030 on: March 06, 2020, 02:42:32 AM »
Love it when that happens! Also, the color combination sounds gorgeous. Men in purple =  :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: March 06, 2020, 06:14:35 AM »
Love it when that happens! Also, the color combination sounds gorgeous. Men in purple =  :metal

My thinking on the purple is that Mrs. P primarily wears black and/or shades of dark purple through navy as evening wear. The grey is light enough to be casual/formal and should pair well with her preferred color scheme. I know it sounds weird, or a little...creepy, but I like our clothing to complement each other. Or rather, I avoid having our clothing clash.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:17:24 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1032 on: March 06, 2020, 08:04:25 AM »

Deep Purple  :biggrin:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: March 06, 2020, 08:15:10 AM »

Awesome stuff mate.

Yeah....this is very cool Gregg  :tup

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1034 on: March 07, 2020, 05:56:28 AM »
I know it sounds weird, or a little...creepy, but I like our clothing to complement each other. Or rather, I avoid having our clothing clash.
It's not weird or creepy, it's nice. Whenever you're in a group photo, you'll make it better just by matching each other, that's something everyone can appreciate.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: March 08, 2020, 04:54:33 AM »
Only a 2km Saturday swim and 8km Sunday run this week.  The amount of training I'm doing daily is catching up on me.  Loving the high fat low carb thing through the week though.  Has done absolute wonders for my hormones I think.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: March 08, 2020, 05:12:49 AM »
Only a 2km Saturday swim and 8km Sunday run this week.  The amount of training I'm doing daily is catching up on me.  Loving the high fat low carb thing through the week though.  Has done absolute wonders for my hormones I think.

You're gonna have to expand on this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: March 08, 2020, 05:36:17 AM »

You're gonna have to expand on this.

Alright, I've made it pretty clear in the past that I had a borderline eating disorder.  I was around 120kg at my heaviest and when I started training wanted to strip down.  I had no foundation as I never did a single bit of exercise until I was about 28.  I had no idea what I was doing so learned about nutrition as I went.  I was losing weight which I thought was good as the scale was dropping.

Whatever strength I gained in my short time in the gym was going and was losing the strength rapidly.  I thought this was okay, but it's not.  I would hate to think what my caloric intake was but it was low, and I wasn't seeing how much weight I was losing, I just wanted to lose more.  The misses was getting worried and said one day how thin I was and something needed to change.  She said I looked 'hungry' all the time.  Saw a photo and it shocked me.  Battling food addiction to going the complete opposite direction was a rollercoaster and now I had to put weight back on.  At that point I was about 67kgs at 6'2.'  Thin as fuck.  Thought I had to keep losing to see muscle, but I just fucking had none, that's why I was thin and still looking like shit.  During this time, my sexual function was awful.  Couldn't get it up and when I could, couldn't keep it up and premature as hell.  Having this at like 30-32 years old was shocking and I felt like there was nothing I could do.  My diet at the time was consisting mainly of some chicken and mostly green salad.  Maybe an egg or two here and there and a protein shake here and there.  Thinking back now, the fat intake was non existent.

I then fought with my body dysmorphia and started eating more.  I got eventually back up to 85kg.  Strength went up but so did the fat but I had to get some sort of foundation back in the gym.  I looked fine and got some good strength going.  This was all over a number of years obviously being 35 now.  I decided about 6 months ago to try and cut a little again to see if I had made any progress and if I could strip and look better with a bit of muscle this time.  This time really concentrated on what I was doing and watched my strength.  As soon as I felt a little weak, have a refeed or short break.  Anyway, now, I'm down to about 76kg and while very lean, look SO much better than the last time around.  I'm stronger than I was and my running is there which is wasn't before.  before I was that thin but couldn't run 500m without passing out. 

Now, since adding the fat, thanks to Gregg really inspiring the keto back a couple months back I must say, I feel my testosterone is higher than it's ever been.  I'm still cutting yet in some lifts I'm stronger and getting stronger again.  My performances in the bedroom I'm being told are the best ever and sex has been the best in 14 years, and I think that's an achievement.  Without going into detail, it's amazing what I'm able to do now compared to a few years ago.  I really think it comes down to the fat content in my diet.  I feel it's restarted my hormones and feel almost 18 again, maybe better.  It took me years to really understand nutrition and what I was doing and dealing with body dysmorphia along with borderline anorexia but getting over those hurdles has been quite a journey.  While still learning even now over the last 6 months and this higher fat thing right now.

I'll add sleep too.  I'm getting good sleep but making sure you're getting 8 hours a night is critical also.  I don't get that a lot with work, but luckily I haven't suffered, the diet is keeping things working regardless.  Yet, if I need to get up at 4am, I'm in bed by 9pm if I can.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 05:41:50 AM by wolfking »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: March 08, 2020, 06:30:06 AM »
That's all awesome dude.  :hifive:

I'm really interested in doing some manner of Keto as well, as I'd like to get under the 15%-ish bodyfat that I'm at currently. I'm about as "skinny" as I've ever been in my life - without any sacrifice of my strength.  But I still look in the mirror and see that I'm "skinny-fat"... or fat-skinny?  I'm not sure which  :lol.  Muscle wise, I really judge my appearance by my triceps.  Can I see that nice horseshoe with the tail coming down at my elbow?  Kinda, but not really.  I very much want to shred some fat while maintaining my current strength.

So, I'm on a routine right now that's called 'max-shred'.  25-minute (or so) HIIT routines that are anaerobic in nature, but keep the heart firing. 5 days per week. Today's routine consists of 5 rounds of the following - each to be done for one minute / failure, and at failure, hold plank until the minute is up

Pushups
DB Renegade Rows
Twisting Pistons
Floor Jacks (going up and down from traditional plank to elbow plank with each 'jack' - one side at a time).
10 x Man-maker.  Not sure if this is a common name for the exercise, but it's an intense compound movement... Burpee-->renegade row-->pushup-->renegade row-->pushup-->hop up to a squat thrust.  My goal is to do these with 30lb dbs
Rest 60 seconds

Jesus fuck I'm not looking forward to this (but I am).  I think I'll be taking longer than a 60-second rest between each round.  Probably let my heart rate get down to 130 or something in that range.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: March 08, 2020, 10:32:49 AM »
Excellent post, Wolfking! Very inspiring.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: March 08, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »

Indeed!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: March 08, 2020, 01:14:02 PM »
Trail Half went alright. Not the fastest time I’ve ever posted for this race but I stayed moving the whole time. BEAUTIFUL day in St. Louis......sunny and upper 60’s for most of the race....I think it was low 70’s when I finished.

There was an aid station right at mile 8.....and a few hundred yards after I passed it my legs said to me “hey Gary.....have fun the rest of the way”  :lol   I think that’s where actually training for these races would help. So the last five miles was a much slower pace than what I had been at up to that point.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: March 08, 2020, 02:34:50 PM »

Kade is the first name mate.  :tup

Yeah, it's been a long hard road over the last 7 years and still have a long long way to go but will just keep going.

My biggest regret is not getting into the gym 10 years earlier in my prime.  Starting so late definitely put me on the back foot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: March 08, 2020, 02:36:56 PM »
Trail Half went alright. Not the fastest time I’ve ever posted for this race but I stayed moving the whole time. BEAUTIFUL day in St. Louis......sunny and upper 60’s for most of the race....I think it was low 70’s when I finished.

There was an aid station right at mile 8.....and a few hundred yards after I passed it my legs said to me “hey Gary.....have fun the rest of the way”  :lol   I think that’s where actually training for these races would help. So the last five miles was a much slower pace than what I had been at up to that point.

Nice mate.  At this point I can't even finish a 13km run let alone a 13 mile run.  One day I will.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1044 on: March 11, 2020, 05:04:08 PM »
I looked at google maps and plotted out a mile in my neighborhood.  Then I decided to see how much of it I was able to jog.  I ran the whole thing!

I expected this to take me a whole year to achieve.  And the best part, I wasn't overly tired and could have still run more if I wanted.  Not bad for a fat guy.  :tup

It took me 12 some odd minutes, but I'd have to say I'm pretty proud of myself.  And thanks to all of you for the support.  I don't think I could have done it without your push.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: March 11, 2020, 05:10:06 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1046 on: March 11, 2020, 05:13:58 PM »
Plenty of kids in my high school struggled to make a mile in under 12-13. 8 was the benchmark most of us normies strove for. So with that in mind, 12 minutes when you thought it'd take you all year to do the mile? Man, that's freaking awesome, dude. Feel proud. You're already way ahead of where you thought you were!! Keep it up!! :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: March 11, 2020, 08:53:42 PM »
Plenty of kids in my high school struggled to make a mile in under 12-13. 8 was the benchmark most of us normies strove for. So with that in mind, 12 minutes when you thought it'd take you all year to do the mile? Man, that's freaking awesome, dude. Feel proud. You're already way ahead of where you thought you were!! Keep it up!! :biggrin:

Yeah, I was a hefty mo-fo in high school, and was always somewhere around 11 minutes.  12 is pretty impressive for your circumstances Brother Lion.   :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: March 12, 2020, 02:32:13 PM »
I looked at google maps and plotted out a mile in my neighborhood.  Then I decided to see how much of it I was able to jog.  I ran the whole thing!

I expected this to take me a whole year to achieve.  And the best part, I wasn't overly tired and could have still run more if I wanted.  Not bad for a fat guy.  :tup

It took me 12 some odd minutes, but I'd have to say I'm pretty proud of myself.  And thanks to all of you for the support.  I don't think I could have done it without your push.

That's awesome mate.  Now just keep going.  Everyday keep pushing yourself and go that one better, good work.

That time for a beginner is pretty fine too.  I don't work in miles but I've gotten a km down to about a 5 minutes 15-20 sec average so for a mile, probably looking at around 7 minutes 45 sec to 8 minutes I'd say.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1049 on: March 12, 2020, 04:28:37 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I plan to keep going.  I'm going to try to get to 2 miles next.  Also, I want opinions on what I should add to my workout?  I don't have a gym membership and I haven't net bought any home gym equipment.  I was thinking of pushups or situps.  Any recomendations?