Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 191195 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1191 on: April 09, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »
To be clear ... me doing 30ish isn't consecutive - it's like 4 sets of 8.  I tap out at 8-10 for sure.

10 per set is very good.

I remember Jon once said he did death-by-pullup (do a set EMOM, starting with 1 rep, and increasing by 1 every minute), and got up to 17.  I tried that recently, made it to 8.

I love doing a variety of 'death by' rounds.  When I had a access to a gym a couple years ago, I loved doing death-by-tire flip.

I've done death by burpee (19 rounds) but never death by pull ups. I think I'd manage 5 or 6 lol. I think i could crush a death by squats

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1192 on: April 09, 2020, 12:53:17 PM »
To be clear ... me doing 30ish isn't consecutive - it's like 4 sets of 8.  I tap out at 8-10 for sure.

10 per set is very good.

I remember Jon once said he did death-by-pullup (do a set EMOM, starting with 1 rep, and increasing by 1 every minute), and got up to 17.  I tried that recently, made it to 8.

I love doing a variety of 'death by' rounds.  When I had a access to a gym a couple years ago, I loved doing death-by-tire flip.

I've done death by burpee (19 rounds) but never death by pull ups. I think I'd manage 5 or 6 lol. I think i could crush a death by squats

For simpler moves like that, I'll up the start and increments to 2 or 5 instead of 1.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1193 on: April 09, 2020, 07:39:27 PM »

10 per set is very good.

Fuck yeah, that sounds awesome.  Definitely trying that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: April 09, 2020, 07:40:42 PM »
It's Good Friday here and up to 7km swimming and 28km of running.  Wanted to get the rest done by Saturday evening (10km swim, 40km run).  Got some work to do.  My leg is still fucked, but whatever.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: April 09, 2020, 07:56:56 PM »
That’s it .... be a real man, injure yourself!!

Kade... don’t be an idiot.  :chill

I believe I’ve got plantar fasciitis on my right foot/heel. Anytime I flex my foot (ie, stretch my calf), I get this strong tingling/burning in the back of my heel. It’s below my Achilles, so the only thing that suits the symptoms is plantar fasciitis.  Hoping I can shake this.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1196 on: April 09, 2020, 08:42:56 PM »
Death by tire flip would be fun. I used to do tire flips and tire sledging at my old gym.

I did a triple death-by tonight. Started with pull ups and only made it to 8. Pushups i started at 5 and made it to 17. Even fresh i don't think i could have done a round of 18. Squats i started at 10, went up by 2, and died a horrible death at 42. I did a 60min bike interval workout last night, so i think i might have been able to do 44 or 46 had my legs been fresh.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: April 09, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
Nice workout Shredder!  If my math is right, that’s 36 pull-ups, 132 pushups, and over 400 squats.

Mother of god.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1198 on: April 09, 2020, 09:36:14 PM »
Nice workout Shredder!  If my math is right, that’s 36 pull-ups, 132 pushups, and over 400 squats.

Mother of god.
yeah, it was 450 and change with the partial round. It was worse, too. I forgot to mention that i did sit ups to fill out the minutes. I bailed on them at some point into the squats, but my final tally was 143 or something like that. My legs are definitely 400  squat sore lol

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1199 on: April 10, 2020, 01:37:26 PM »
Geez, and I was proud of myself for increasing to 10 pushups a day this week.  You must be some kind of immortal :).  Way to go Shredder!
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: April 10, 2020, 01:48:38 PM »
Geez, and I was proud of myself for increasing to 10 pushups a day this week.  You must be some kind of immortal :).  Way to go Shredder!

We are all on our own pace here, you should still feel proud of your accomplishments.  I know I can't do a lot of these exercises at those reps either, but I am still proud of my own progress and that's all that matters.  Keep it up Northern Lion and one day we too could be doing mad reps.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1201 on: April 10, 2020, 02:12:31 PM »

We are all on our own pace here, you should still feel proud of your accomplishments.  I know I can't do a lot of these exercises at those reps either, but I am still proud of my own progress and that's all that matters.  Keep it up Northern Lion and one day we too could be doing mad reps.
Nailed it. It's all about competing against yourself. If you can do more pushups today than you could a year ago, then you're winning. Unless you're a top professional athlete there's always going to be someone faster, stronger, more skilled, etc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1202 on: April 10, 2020, 02:17:28 PM »

I believe I’ve got plantar fasciitis on my right foot/heel. Anytime I flex my foot (ie, stretch my calf), I get this strong tingling/burning in the back of my heel. It’s below my Achilles, so the only thing that suits the symptoms is plantar fasciitis.  Hoping I can shake this.

Go to the store and get inserts for your shoes.  If you have a Fleet Sports or a place like that where the employees watch you walk and then fit them accordingly, go there. I had plantar fasciitis about a decade ago (felt like I was stepping on a nail at the ball of my foot with each step I took), and as soon as I got the inserts, it went away almost immediately.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1203 on: April 10, 2020, 02:35:06 PM »

Go to the store and get inserts for your shoes.  If you have a Fleet Sports or a place like that where the employees watch you walk and then fit them accordingly, go there. I had plantar fasciitis about a decade ago (felt like I was stepping on a nail at the ball of my foot with each step I took), and as soon as I got the inserts, it went away almost immediately.

That's my experience, too. Felt better immediately, and took maybe a day in new insoles until I was back to 100%

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1204 on: April 10, 2020, 02:40:55 PM »

I had plantar fasciitis also.  I tried inserts but I guess mine was severe for those to work.  I tried them for 8 years until I finally decided I had had enough pain, and got surgery.  My feet have been fine ever since.

I'm not saying you need surgery though.  Just don't go 8 years with pain if they don't end up solving the problem :).
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: April 11, 2020, 05:22:15 AM »
Thanks for the tips/suggestions guys.  Some more background on the situation.

I think it was a specific workout that caused the problem, so I don't think it's an ongoing/degenerative thing.  As for getting inserts, we have neither that store chain up here Kev, nor would it be open at the moment anyway.  Another contributing factor is I walk around barefoot (or in socks) 80% of the time.  I've been working from home for 10 years or so, so wearing shoes isn't common (at best) and a rarity (at worst).  I've dug out pair of Nike's that I used to wear while working out that have good arch supports in them, and have been trying to wear those all day.  It seems to be helping (along with doing various stretches recommended by the interwebz).  It's not constant pain, just hits if I over extend the motion of a calf stretch.  It's (naturally) worse in the morning after being immobile, but by the end of the day is almost non-existent.

So, I'll try and dig up some old Dr. Scholl's inserts to put in my regular workout shoes and see if that helps, and continue to stretch it out.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1206 on: April 11, 2020, 06:45:33 AM »
I just threw Dr Scholls in my work shoes, and it fixed me up nicely. Rexall pharmacies sell them and should still be open. At least they are in Alberta.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1207 on: April 11, 2020, 06:46:20 AM »
I just threw Dr Scholls in my work shoes, and it fixed me up nicely. Rexall pharmacies sell them and should still be open. At least they are in Alberta.

You gellin', brah?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1208 on: April 11, 2020, 06:59:10 AM »

Costco sells 'em too.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1209 on: April 11, 2020, 07:02:55 AM »

You gellin', brah?
Is there any other way lol?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1210 on: April 11, 2020, 08:15:33 AM »

I think it was a specific workout that caused the problem, so I don't think it's an ongoing/degenerative thing.  As for getting inserts, we have neither that store chain up here Kev, nor would it be open at the moment anyway.  Another contributing factor is I walk around barefoot (or in socks) 80% of the time. I've been working from home for 10 years or so, so wearing shoes isn't common (at best) and a rarity (at worst).  I've dug out pair of Nike's that I used to wear while working out that have good arch supports in them, and have been trying to wear those all day.  It seems to be helping (along with doing various stretches recommended by the interwebz).  It's not constant pain, just hits if I over extend the motion of a calf stretch.  It's (naturally) worse in the morning after being immobile, but by the end of the day is almost non-existent.

So, I'll try and dig up some old Dr. Scholl's inserts to put in my regular workout shoes and see if that helps, and continue to stretch it out.

That is probably your biggest issue, to be honest.  I was told back then, I think by my doctor as well whom I went and saw for it at one point, that walking around barefoot too much is really bad for your feet.  Always better to have the support of shoes.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: April 11, 2020, 10:33:12 AM »

I think it was a specific workout that caused the problem, so I don't think it's an ongoing/degenerative thing.  As for getting inserts, we have neither that store chain up here Kev, nor would it be open at the moment anyway.  Another contributing factor is I walk around barefoot (or in socks) 80% of the time. I've been working from home for 10 years or so, so wearing shoes isn't common (at best) and a rarity (at worst).  I've dug out pair of Nike's that I used to wear while working out that have good arch supports in them, and have been trying to wear those all day.  It seems to be helping (along with doing various stretches recommended by the interwebz).  It's not constant pain, just hits if I over extend the motion of a calf stretch.  It's (naturally) worse in the morning after being immobile, but by the end of the day is almost non-existent.

That is probably your biggest issue, to be honest.  I was told back then, I think by my doctor as well whom I went and saw for it at one point, that walking around barefoot too much is really bad for your feet.  Always better to have the support of shoes.

Yeah, and getting 'up there' in age ain't helping either.  I've already noticed a difference in the past week in wearing my 'travel' workout shoes around the house.  Found some inserts for my current workout shoes - big difference this morning.  Also found (on Amazon) some socks with arch supports that I think I'll give a go.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: April 11, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »
Hope you can shake that off Chad, sounds nasty.

I'm done.  10km swim and 40km run in 6 days.  My leg is officially fucked and I'm limping badly lol.  Gonna force myself to have 2 days off I think.  Enjoy'd the golden arches last night and some Krispy Kreme as a reward.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: April 11, 2020, 05:05:45 PM »
My leg is officially fucked and I'm limping badly lol.

Not sure that deserves a "reward".   :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1214 on: April 11, 2020, 05:07:13 PM »
Yeah, and getting 'up there' in age ain't helping either.  I've already noticed a difference in the past week in wearing my 'travel' workout shoes around the house.  Found some inserts for my current workout shoes - big difference this morning.  Also found (on Amazon) some socks with arch supports that I think I'll give a go.

:tup :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: April 12, 2020, 03:50:18 AM »
My leg is officially fucked and I'm limping badly lol.

Not sure that deserves a "reward".   :lol

Too late.  :biggrin:

Wasn't trying but lost 900g (1.9lbs) in 6 days.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: April 12, 2020, 04:36:29 AM »
NICE!  I was pretty much flat this week (after going up 3lbs last week).

Gonna try and go 100% clean this week, along with a few sessions on the bike while catching up on TV that has been sitting in "My List" on Netflix for quite some time.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1217 on: April 12, 2020, 02:16:34 PM »
Did 1hr45 on the indoor bike this morning. It snowed (again) overnight, which is setting back the start of the road and mtb season. Street sweeping is supposed to start next week, so if it can just stop f'ing snowing i could at least pull out my road bike. It's been a depressing start to the spring here, and that's without considering covid.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: April 12, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »
A friend of mine in Cgy posted pics on FB. WTF, man. Alberta weather blows!

Sun/cloud mix here today .... 14C.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1219 on: April 12, 2020, 05:00:24 PM »
A friend of mine in Cgy posted pics on FB. WTF, man. Alberta weather blows!

Sun/cloud mix here today .... 14C.
Yup. Some years we get great weather, but last summer it rained almost every day for at least part of the day, winter was cold as fuck, and this is a miserable spring. It's -4c

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: April 13, 2020, 08:18:14 PM »
This death by pullup thing, surely you can just start on 5 or something.  I mean, 1 in 1 minute, then 2 from the next minute.  The first few rounds just seems like wasting time.  Unless I'm missing something.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: April 13, 2020, 08:21:58 PM »
I thought the same thing

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: April 13, 2020, 08:22:53 PM »
This death by pullup thing, surely you can just start on 5 or something.  I mean, 1 in 1 minute, then 2 from the next minute.  The first few rounds just seems like wasting time.  Unless I'm missing something.

Just do it boys. That minute will catch up with you fast enough.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: April 13, 2020, 09:16:54 PM »

Just do it boys. That minute will catch up with you fast enough.

What do I do in the first minute when I've done 1 pullup with 58 seconds to go?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1224 on: April 13, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
l scale them sometimes for exercises like squats ot pushups where i can do 25  or more in a single set. Those i might start at 10. Burpees i would start at 5, pull ups 1 or 3 if I'm doing it as part of a larger workout. If you can "only" do 10 pull ups in a set, then you'll barely last 4 or 5 minutes starting on 5.