Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 192290 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Now with mental fitness!
« Reply #1155 on: March 29, 2020, 05:09:37 AM »
End of month one with Athlean-X's Max Shred program.  Been liking it so far... pretty simple HIIT movements that still get anaerobic / muscle building.  Holy shit was the end of month 'challenge' yesterday brutal.  Harder than any Insanity or p90X routine I've ever done.  It's a timed workout, so trying to push yourself even when I should be resting.  First grouping I did 150 x spider-man pushups + 250 x half jump-squats; 2nd grouping was 150 x horizontal pullups + 250 run lunge (each individual lunge was 1).  Took me about 40 minutes, and at one point, my HR peaked at 180.

Weigh in this morning was good - 180.4 lbs; 14.3% BF... down 1.6lbs and .2% BF from last Sunday.  I know the BF measurement on these kinds of scales is to be taken with a grain of salt, I just use it for the trending.

Reward meal tonight ... we're ordering in pizza, and I'm gonna slap some wings on that order too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1156 on: March 29, 2020, 05:38:58 AM »
End of month one with Athlean-X's Max Shred program.  Been liking it so far... pretty simple HIIT movements that still get anaerobic / muscle building.  Holy shit was the end of month 'challenge' yesterday brutal.  Harder than any Insanity or p90X routine I've ever done.  It's a timed workout, so trying to push yourself even when I should be resting.  First grouping I did 150 x spider-man pushups + 250 x half jump-squats; 2nd grouping was 150 x horizontal pullups + 250 run lunge (each individual lunge was 1).  Took me about 40 minutes, and at one point, my HR peaked at 180.

Weigh in this morning was good - 180.4 lbs; 14.3% BF... down 1.6lbs and .2% BF from last Sunday.  I know the BF measurement on these kinds of scales is to be taken with a grain of salt, I just use it for the trending.

Reward meal tonight ... we're ordering in pizza, and I'm gonna slap some wings on that order too.

Nice work mate.

I tried the other day to do a kind of workout like this, I fucking hated it.  Just something about these repetitive body movements I just dislike.  I'd rather go for a long run or swim.  Although who am I to judge, looking at Jeff he knows what the fuck he's doing lol.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1157 on: March 29, 2020, 05:50:56 AM »
Nice, Chad. I had to look up what those exercises were. Goddamn, son, you did all those reps of all those moves in 40 minutes. I'm very impressed. I don't think I could do ten spiderman pushups.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: March 29, 2020, 06:01:00 AM »

Nice work mate.

I tried the other day to do a kind of workout like this, I fucking hated it.  Just something about these repetitive body movements I just dislike.  I'd rather go for a long run or swim.  Although who am I to judge, looking at Jeff he knows what the fuck he's doing lol.

Thanks guys.  To this point Kade, I'm the exact opposite - running is completely monotonous to me, and boring as shit. Put one foot in front of the other, and repeat for an hour?  No thanks.  :lol

TASTESTM!!!

@ Gregg... I won't lie, this routine absolutely flattened me - the rep counts aren't consecutive... the program calls for each grouping to be sets of 100, 90, 80. 70. 60 (with a 1 minute rest between each set), and you can decide how to split those sets up between the two movements.  I was GASPING for air at multiple points - by group 2, there was NO WAY I could only rest for a minute between each set), and by the end of the, my forearms and legs were jelly.  mrs.jingle and the jingle.kids were commenting on how much I was groaning and struggling thru it - and mrs.jingle was upstairs (workout room is in the basement beside jingle.daugter's bedroom - apparently I woke her up from a nap).

Anyhoo... rest day today.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1159 on: March 29, 2020, 01:34:40 PM »

:tup :tup for the effort in the workout

:tup :tup for the pizza reward

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1160 on: March 30, 2020, 08:34:57 AM »
Not sure where else to put this but uh, does anybody else lose strength in their grip when they laugh? I've had this all my life but I've really noticed it more the last few weeks. Every time I find something super funny, I completely lose my grip strength and can't even write my name coherently because I can't get a strong grip on a pen or pencil. Internet sleuthing tells me it's related to cataplexy in some way but, like, it's only isolated to my hands (usually my right one, which is my dominant hand, giggity heybaby.gif etc.). Usually resolves itself in a few minutes. Very weird.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: March 30, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »
I don't believe I've ever had occasion to laugh while in the throws of a firm grip...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: April 07, 2020, 12:09:13 PM »
I've been trying to shake things up at home and even at work. I'll put on a song and do an exercise for the duration of the song, within reason. ACDC is great for consistency in this regard. 4 straight minutes of body squats yesterday, for example, and today it hurts so good.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1163 on: April 07, 2020, 12:25:50 PM »
4 minutes!!   :omg:   :tup  Nice.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: April 07, 2020, 12:49:02 PM »
Now that I'm almost exclusively working from home and feeling good, my biking has been going crazy.  I get bored every other hour and just hit the bike for 10-15 minutes to get drenched in sweat and then go back to "working" and eventually I get bored and go hit the bike again and so on until I've hit 20 miles.  It's been a nice way to pass the day.  The bad part is, by the evening, I end up cooking a huge meal and pretty much negate the work I put in.  Whatever, I'm not gaining any weight and it's keeping me entertained and the food gives me something to do (cook) and enjoy at the end of the day.  I've got chicken fajitas prepped for dinner tonight now and it's almost time I'm getting my itch to go hit the bike for a bit again, almost at 20 miles today so maybe one more round will do it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: April 07, 2020, 01:40:44 PM »
As long as it's clean eating, you're probably doing more to fuel yourself effectively as opposed to throwing away your effort.

Marc... I think you're at the point in your journey where it would be beneficial to throw in some anaerobic activity - squats, lunges, pushups, situps, dips etc... a few times a week.

@ Katt... hope my post didn't come of sarcastically.  It was not.  4 minutes of squats is seriously impressive.  Hell, one minute is a good haul!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1166 on: April 07, 2020, 01:55:40 PM »
As long as it's clean eating, you're probably doing more to fuel yourself effectively as opposed to throwing away your effort.

Marc... I think you're at the point in your journey where it would be beneficial to throw in some anaerobic activity - squats, lunges, pushups, situps, dips etc... a few times a week.

@ Katt... hope my post didn't come of sarcastically.  It was not.  4 minutes of squats is seriously impressive.  Hell, one minute is a good haul!

I have been doing 100 sit ups every other day, and the off days been doing different dumb bell exercises.  Been doing that pretty regularly for my workouts all through this, just don't talk much about it I guess.  The muscle building was the secondary effort after losing weight so I do agree, I probably should add even more.  Also the stretching, now that I'm back into the biking, the legs are back to needing the good stretching. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: April 07, 2020, 01:58:44 PM »
I agree with Chad, but you should be easier on yourself! Any work is good work and you're not necessarily canceling things out just because you had a big meal.

Chad, thanks. I normally don't do body weight squatting, just normal back squats, so I couldn't believe how winded and sore my legs were afterwards. Hell halfway through I had to slow down. Seriously underrated. I just did three and a half minutes of pushups this way and I think I'm going to be in pain tomorrow :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: April 07, 2020, 02:07:22 PM »
I agree with Chad, but you should be easier on yourself! Any work is good work and you're not necessarily canceling things out just because you had a big meal.

Chad, thanks. I normally don't do body weight squatting, just normal back squats, so I couldn't believe how winded and sore my legs were afterwards. Hell halfway through I had to slow down. Seriously underrated. I just did three and a half minutes of pushups this way and I think I'm going to be in pain tomorrow :lol

Even if your average is at 4 seconds per pushup, that's 50+ pushups straight.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: April 07, 2020, 02:09:40 PM »

Yea, but it's not just one big meal.  Every single night I've been going all out on a nice big meal.  Since it's all home cooked, it's definitely healthier than eating out, but many of these meals aren't terribly healthy overall (last night was a baked potato and jalapenos slices with cheese and chorizo on them (think jalapeno popper without the fried and cut in half).  I'm not being hard on myself IMO, just being honest with myself.  I don't plan on stopping either, it's been a nice way to end these days home that are otherwise pretty mundane. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: April 07, 2020, 02:21:46 PM »
Now that I'm almost exclusively working from home and feeling good, my biking has been going crazy.  I get bored every other hour and just hit the bike for 10-15 minutes to get drenched in sweat and then go back to "working" and eventually I get bored and go hit the bike again and so on until I've hit 20 miles.  It's been a nice way to pass the day.  The bad part is, by the evening, I end up cooking a huge meal and pretty much negate the work I put in.  Whatever, I'm not gaining any weight and it's keeping me entertained and the food gives me something to do (cook) and enjoy at the end of the day.  I've got chicken fajitas prepped for dinner tonight now and it's almost time I'm getting my itch to go hit the bike for a bit again, almost at 20 miles today so maybe one more round will do it.

A big part of the reason to train in general is to enjoy good food IMO.  Just train if you enjoy it mate and as long as you are conscious and still sensible with food, then you'll be fine.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: April 07, 2020, 02:24:23 PM »
I still have the ability to run and swim which is great at the moment and even though I'm working full time, I set myself a crazy goal to hit this week;

10km swimming and 40km running.  2 days passed and hit 3km swimming and 13.5km running.  Hmm....the running goal may have been a bit optimistic.  If I hit it, I'll be having a massive Easter cheat day.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: April 07, 2020, 02:28:17 PM »
damn, good luck on hitting it but if not that's still some good work

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: April 07, 2020, 02:32:37 PM »
I was on the shelf this week - nearly shaved the tip of my thumb off last week (flap of skin was just hanging on).  It wasn't too gory or bloody, but enough that there was no way of letting it heal if I was picking up dumbbells or doing pullups.  So, I biked a few times, and that's about it.  Plus, had a shitty mental-health weekend with all that is going on.

But, back at it tonight.  Just gonna re-start my week's program, since I only got one day into it last week.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: April 07, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
damn, good luck on hitting it but if not that's still some good work

Yeah, I'm an idiot and becoming a bit obsessed to tell you the truth especially the running.  My left leg is fucked too, pain everywhere and can't walk without a limp.  Only really pulled up bad from Sunday's run, and I should rest, but I know there is no way I'll be resting when I've set myself this goal.

I was on the shelf this week - nearly shaved the tip of my thumb off last week (flap of skin was just hanging on).  It wasn't too gory or bloody, but enough that there was no way of letting it heal if I was picking up dumbbells or doing pullups.  So, I biked a few times, and that's about it.  Plus, had a shitty mental-health weekend with all that is going on.

But, back at it tonight.  Just gonna re-start my week's program, since I only got one day into it last week.

Ouch, close call mate.  Hope you're doing alright and make sure you get back into it.  Should help you feel better too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: April 07, 2020, 04:34:42 PM »
Honestly I think it's psychological more than anything. If I drop and just count out the pushups, fuck that, I'll tap out much earlier. But something about the music helps me stay focused and put more into it especially if the reps and tempo naturally fit together.

The one thing I cannot do is pull-ups and chin-ups. I can do chin-ups, like, three or four of them. But I've never done an actual pull-up in my life and I never manage to progress to actually doing one whenever I try to work my way up to one. It's my biggest disappointment and I really want to fix this now that I'm doing all this bodyweight stuff and whenever I can go back to the gym I'll have to try somehow

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: April 07, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
Look up AthleanX’s top 10 pull-up tips. Some of them are very good, and helped me improve my count a little.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: April 07, 2020, 05:23:05 PM »
I can't even really remember how I came to be able to do pullups.  I think just consistent training and they just came with time.  Wasn't an exercise I tried and tried with but now they are a staple.  Some workouts, I'll aim for 100 in total inbetween other sets.  usually 5 to 8 is the rep range for this kind of workout for me per set.  As I get closer to 100 though, 4-5 is max.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: April 07, 2020, 05:48:10 PM »
Dayum. I hit 30ish total for a workout and I’m tapped out. I’ve got a variety of bands that I’ll use as an assisted move.

I think ur lighter than me tho, right Kade?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: April 07, 2020, 06:25:38 PM »
Dayum. I hit 30ish total for a workout and I’m tapped out. I’ve got a variety of bands that I’ll use as an assisted move.

I think ur lighter than me tho, right Kade?

Hell yeah, I'm small as fuck.  Down to 79kg (about 175 pounds)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: April 07, 2020, 09:20:46 PM »
Well, that's only about 8lbs less than me at the moment, so not that much less.  100 pullups is mighty impressive.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: April 08, 2020, 12:10:15 AM »
Well, that's only about 8lbs less than me at the moment, so not that much less.  100 pullups is mighty impressive.

They aren't in succession, and I don't aim for 100 that often.  I started doing it on back day in between working sets to cut rest time down.  Would do a set of rows, then pump out 8 pull ups.  Do 3-4 sets of rows or whatever with pull ups inbetween.  Then move on to something else like lat pulldown or even just bicep curls if I'm feeling it and getting doing the pull ups inbetween.  As I said, when I get to 70+, I'm going 3 or 4 at once, which sucks because you are just doing more work inbetween making it harder for the next couple of pullups.

I just change my grip up.  Narrow overhand, regular wide grip, then I'll always mix it up with some inverted ones, they are much easier.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: April 08, 2020, 05:36:21 AM »

They aren't in succession, and I don't aim for 100 that often.  I started doing it on back day in between working sets to cut rest time down.  Would do a set of rows, then pump out 8 pull ups.  Do 3-4 sets of rows or whatever with pull ups inbetween.  Then move on to something else like lat pulldown or even just bicep curls if I'm feeling it and getting doing the pull ups inbetween.  As I said, when I get to 70+, I'm going 3 or 4 at once, which sucks because you are just doing more work inbetween making it harder for the next couple of pullups.

I just change my grip up.  Narrow overhand, regular wide grip, then I'll always mix it up with some inverted ones, they are much easier.

Oh, I gathered it wasn't 100 consecutive... but 100 in total is still pretty impressive.  I mean, it's a compound movement, and really gets the HR going, so putting that kind of quantity in as a bit of a superset with other movements is  :omg:  I could probably do 30ish unassisted if I was just doing strict pullups.  After that, I too am adjusting my grip to under-hand or opposite (I have a pullup bar with the handles that come out at 90o from the bar), or assisted with a band.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1183 on: April 08, 2020, 06:53:51 PM »

Oh, I gathered it wasn't 100 consecutive... but 100 in total is still pretty impressive.  I mean, it's a compound movement, and really gets the HR going, so putting that kind of quantity in as a bit of a superset with other movements is  :omg:  I could probably do 30ish unassisted if I was just doing strict pullups.  After that, I too am adjusting my grip to under-hand or opposite (I have a pullup bar with the handles that come out at 90o from the bar), or assisted with a band.

Mate, by the sounds of it and the type of training you do, plus if you can fo 30, you'd be able to bang out more in between other exercises.  Doing it that way is not as hard as it sounds.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: April 08, 2020, 09:16:29 PM »
To be clear ... me doing 30ish isn't consecutive - it's like 4 sets of 8.  I tap out at 8-10 for sure.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1185 on: April 08, 2020, 09:46:20 PM »
That's lots in a single set, IMO. Especially if they're strict form

I love pull ups, but only started them a couple years ago. On a whim i decided to do a month long pull up challenge that involved doing 50 every other day in week 1, and ending with 100 by week 4. On the "off" days i did 15 push ups EMOM for 10 minutes. I would start with sets of 4-5 pull ups (alternating between 4 grips), but by the end i was only managing 1 or 2 per set. By the end of the month i did my last 100 in less time than it took to do 50 on day 1

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: April 09, 2020, 05:36:27 AM »
To be clear ... me doing 30ish isn't consecutive - it's like 4 sets of 8.  I tap out at 8-10 for sure.

10 per set is very good.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: April 09, 2020, 07:10:30 AM »

10 per set is very good.

I remember Jon once said he did death-by-pullup (do a set EMOM, starting with 1 rep, and increasing by 1 every minute), and got up to 17.  I tried that recently, made it to 8.

I love doing a variety of 'death by' rounds.  When I had a access to a gym a couple years ago, I loved doing death-by-tire flip.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1188 on: April 09, 2020, 07:29:09 AM »
What does EMOM mean?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni