Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 283628 times)

Offline Skeever

Last year, two extremely likable teams were going head to head. This year, two very hateworthy teams are.

How did the 2013-14 Seahawks go from 'extremely likable' to the 2014-15 'very hateworthy' Seahawks?

They're no longer an underdog, feel good team. Also some of their players have questionable media personalities.

Bingo.

There was something really awesome about seeing Wilson block for Lynch two years ago, and even last year the Seahawks still felt a bit like underdogs. This year they're a team who clearly believe in their own hype.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Well, the Seahawks are a team that talks big, but they always back it up. You've got to give them that, even if you are not a fan of that kind of arrogant talk (which I am not either).

Offline Skeever

I'm all for rooting for the underdog and respecting a good team, but the Seahawks just annoy me to know end lately. The "12" annoy me too. They are like the new Cowboys fans. You see a highly suspicious number of new Hawks jerseys these days. All the sudden, even though I'm on the opposite coast, I'm noticing more and more Seahawks fans who have come crawling out of the woodwork.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
You see a highly suspicious number of new Hawks jerseys these days. All the sudden, even though I'm on the opposite coast, I'm noticing more and more Seahawks fans who have come crawling out of the woodwork.

That has never bothered me.  I guess I am at an age where my priorities are in a different place and, while I enjoy sports as an entertaining pastime, I don't get wound up over any sport or team.  "Bandwagon" fans don't bother me one lick.  If you have been loyal to a team your whole life, great.  If you like a team just because they are doing well, that's just as valid, as far as I'm concerned.  Obnoxious fans bother me, no matter which end of the "loyal vs. bandwagon" spectrum they happen to fall on. 

The "12" annoy me as well, but not because of the bandwagoning.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Josh Gordon's open letter is a damn fine piece of work. I don't know about all of the various suspensions so I can't really say much about the details or what was left out, but in terms of addressing the people who were blasting him or suggesting what would be best for him (cutting him?) it's a very well thought out and articulated response.

https://medium.com/the-cauldron/an-open-letter-to-charles-barkley-co-cb5c4e64cf3
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

What's funny to me about the "bandwagon" claims. 

You're right, on a nationwide (actually, almost world wide at this point) scale, I have NEVER in my life seen so much support for the Seahawks. 

However, there are many many people using this "bandwagon" argument to claim that the Seahawks couldn't even fill their own stadium before two years ago.   I have lived here my entire life, and I promise you this is not the case.    There was a point in the 90's when popularity was waning a bit and an extremely disliked owner nearly moved the team to LA...but the 12 jersey was retired for the fans in 1984...and back before crowd noise had ever been an issue ANYWHERE else in the league (as far back as 1982-3) they actually tried to write a rule that penalized the home team 5 yards if the visiting QB could not hear the signals.   This was only an issue in the Seattle Kingdome and NOWHERE else.   They wrote that rule to deter us, and it didn't work.     

I'm hoping even that story gives you a bit of history.   The 12's have an over 20 year history of feeling like the league singles us out.   Whether that is true or not, when you've been here as long as I have...it starts to build it's own history.     Anyone from a city with a long sports history should be able to at least relate to the idea.     These last 3 years have just been a sort of a "peak"....but we've been building a legacy for almost 40 years now.   Heck, we were selling out the stadium and screaming our fool heads off when Rick Mirer was QB and we went something like 3-13.    :rollin     For the most part, Seattle Seahawk fans are NOT band wagon jumpers or "fair weather" fans.   With one or two years that may have been exceptions, we've been selling out Seahawk games even when they completely sucked.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
For the most part, Seattle Seahawk fans are NOT band wagon jumpers or "fair weather" fans.   With one or two years that may have been exceptions, we've been selling out Seahawk games even when they completely sucked.

I'm sure that is likely true in Seattle.  I think Skeever was referring to the prevalence of Seahawks "fans" elsewhere, simply because they are now a good team that is getting national attention.  But that happens in every sport when a team does well, and should come as no surprise.  But again, for me personally, I don't really care.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

Maybe it's "America's Team" syndrome (thinking specifically of the 70's Cowboys)...but I think the idea of "The 12th Man" (and you may call it complete bupkis if you wish...you may be right) is an idea that makes people *feel* like they are personally a member of the team.   

Sure, teams have given the nod to "the fans" throughout sports history, but no team ever retired a jersey for them.     You may call it marketing, but if so, that's pretty brilliant freakin marketing.     I think that, just as much if not more than their recent winning ways, is one of the big reasons people want to be "one of the 12s"...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I thought the concept of the twelfth man referred specifically to the fans in attendance there at Decibel Stadium.  I thought that was the whole point.

And if so, I don't understand the appeal of fans from across the country, who will never, ever attend a game in Seattle, joining the "12th Man" nonsense.  Liking and rooting for the Seahawks, sure, but 12th Man?  Surely that should remain exclusive to actual ticketholders?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
The 12th man isn't just about being the loudest stadium anymore.  It has evolved beyond that.  I'm sure the Hawks organization considers all their fans a part of the "12th man" club.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
The 12th man isn't just about being the loudest stadium anymore.  It has evolved beyond that.  I'm sure the Hawks organization considers all their fans a part of the "12th man" club.
I wonder what the actual ticketholders think of that.  They are the ones who made it what it is, the butts-in-seats there in the stadium.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
True, and they are at the forefront, but I'm sure they don't mind and realize that not everyone can attend the game.  But yeah, to be able to be there and contribute to those decibels, you're right that ticketholders are the original "12th man".
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline dparrott

Well, even though it would never happen, what I would most LOVE to see in that regard is Wilson attributing his victory to God, and God actually coming down and smacking him, and saying "Why do you think I would even care about a stupid football game? 

Heh...that reminds me of a skit...I think it was MadTV where it was a hip hop awards show, and a gangsta rapper thanked God for his award.  Then a booming voice came down from above and said something like "Don't thank me for this, I don't even like your music!"
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

I liken the bandwagon thing to discovering a band.  Does the fact I discovered how good Porcupine Tree or Metallica are years into their career make me less of or a less important fan than the "day ones"? 

"Yea man, where were you when Cliff was alive?  You're not a true fan!"

I don't think that's fair.  A fan is a fan regardless of when they come in.  How long they STAY a fan is a different story.  Time will tell who of the 12's are true fans or not. 

And I'm sure if the Colts went to the SB instead of the Pats, then people would be wearing Colts gear more.  It's the nature of a high profile event, people get caught up, and the NFL makes bank because of it.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Speaking of Colts gear, I love confusing my sons whenever the Colts and Broncos play by wearing my Manning Colts jersey.  Who am I rooting for?  I'll never tell.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I liken the bandwagon thing to discovering a band.  Does the fact I discovered how good Porcupine Tree or Metallica are years into their career make me less of or a less important fan than the "day ones"? 

"Yea man, where were you when Cliff was alive?  You're not a true fan!"

I don't think that's fair.  A fan is a fan regardless of when they come in.  How long they STAY a fan is a different story.  Time will tell who of the 12's are true fans or not. 
Well, I wasn't talking about bandwagon fans in general.  I was just talking about my impression that the term "12th Man" doesn't refer to the fanbase in general, but rather to the home field advantage fans actually in the stadium that make it such a tough place to play. 

In other words, I could be a tried and true Seahawks fan, just as fervent and sincere in my fandom as anyone else.  But I would never cite the term "12th Man" for myself because the 12th Man is the home stadium crowd, and I've never been there and never will be there.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Finally.  Dirt on Seahawk fans.  12 th man?!  We need an investigation! :lol

Can't wait for Sunday.  Seems like forever!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

I've never seen any Seahawks fan make any distinction between in or out of the actual stadium. Basically, even if you scream from home, you're a 12. My local fire department rings the bell every time the Seahawks score. People in my community light off fireworks for every FG. (Which can be a bit annoying) but they are all considered "the 12s"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
All Seahawks fans are the 12th fan.  I love the passion from them.  It's like that with the soccer team as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
*shrugs*

Seems weird to me, but whatever.  Maybe I misunderstood.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well Hef it is about the fans at the game but the fanbase adopted the battle cry so we should be cool with that.  It's nice to see a city engulfed in their team.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Basically everything jammindude has said is accurate. Not everyone has the money or means to attend home games, but that shouldn't diminish their abaility to consider them one of the 12. And he is right about the fans from the 80s and 90s too. The Hawks have benefitted accoustically over the years, and the fans have had a big say in that. Granted, I see a lot of people in my office today with hawk gear on who couldn't tell you who Jim Zorn, Steve Largent, or Chuck Knox are, but they will readily admit that. So it doesn't bother me. Only if they claimed "Oh, I have always been a Hawks fan" would it be annoying.

Let's start posting our predictions for the game!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
This is interesting.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
It is an interesting arrangement, but it isn't a secret or unknown deal. I thought that was common knowledge. Maybe it just was up here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dparrott

I don't know...it's kind of hard to feel like one of the 12s living so far away.  But I love the concept of it.

Goodell just said in his press conference that the league will exhaust all options to keep the Rams in STL.  Kroenke can say or do what he wants, but relocation is pretty much dead. 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Man, I can't wait till this game is behind us.

Rich, you don't have to watch it!   :-*
That is an option I have strongly considered.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I heard a great description of Russell Wilson.

"He knows when to run to run. He knows when to run to pass."

He had very good pocket awareness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
To me, Seattle's obsession with the 12th man thing is as silly as Detroit's is with calling themselves Hockeytown.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
As I said before, I don't really care about either team.  But, I'll watch it anyway just to see who beats up who.  Wouldn't mind seeing Brady get flattened a few times or Wilson for that matter.  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I don't know if this has been posted or not, but this is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. And, prior to this I had no idea of what Marshawn Lynch's "real" personality was/is.....but I have a completely different opinion about him now. He was cracking me up in this.....

https://youtu.be/MNpkSyryQz4
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline dparrott

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
dparrott.....did you not like the link that I gave to the exact same thing? :lol

Lynch was killing me....he had me rolling..
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline dparrott

No I didn't see it, sorry.  I tried to look for it, must have gotten lost in everything.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Prediction time?

At this point, my gut tells me the Patriots are going to win.  Not only do I think they are the better team, but they are the healthier team, especially with Chancellor now getting banged up yesterday.  The Legion of Boom won't be themselves tomorrow, no matter how much HGH they take. :lol  I think it will be close for a while, and Lynch will have a good day, but Seattle is going to have a tough time moving the ball through the air, since Revis and Browner should be able to shut down Seattle's scrubs at WR.  As always, turnovers are the key, but New England is rarely a team that beats themselves.

Prediction: New England 23, Seattle 13

In fact, if the line stays at NE -1, I might make my first bet in 17 years tomorrow.  I still know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy :lol, where I can place a wager. 

Offline dparrott

Grumpy Cat's ready too!  It's Grumpkowski!