Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 283977 times)

Offline jammindude

Testing the ability of  an injured player is NOT the same as purposefully, and with willful intent trying to do further damage to the injury with the purpose of taking him to the sideline in a stretcher.    "Break his arm" was what he said....not "we're going to through some challenges in his direction to see if he's playing to full abiltity or not."
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't think you know the NFL that well then Jammin.  Seriously there are so many stories out there knowing how many players do this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
What classless SB this is going to be.  Can't stand either of these teams.  The Brady bunch vs. The Seagirls.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jammindude

Then why was there such an uproar when the Saints did it?   Ok...so it was the coaches, and they were paying people.   That is a minor difference, but whay I saw people getting pissed about was *knowingly going out to injure other players*.     In the only way in which it matters, this is the same thing. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Listen, I agree it's wrong morally,  but players do these things.  Now, I don't think a player will do that in the SB where every penalty magnifies everything.  I do think they will test players like Sherman by throwing or running his way early to gauge how healthy he really is.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jammindude

Listen, I agree it's wrong morally,  but players do these things.  Now, I don't think a player will do that in the SB where every penalty magnifies everything.  I do think they will test players like Sherman by throwing or running his way early to gauge how healthy he really is.

And if that's all that happens, I won't have a problem with it. 

But I think the NFL needs to investigate his statement.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
You can't investigate that unless he does something.  That's why the league investigated the saints.  There we injured players.  Hey, I'm sensitive to all this.  You're about my age, Remember Stanley Morgan?  Yeah, that sticks in my mind all the time.  You just can't act on something verbal if there is no action that backs up what he said.

Offline Skeever

I definitely want to see Patriots punished somehow and I wonder if anyone but Patriots fans disagree?

Offline jammindude

Are you thinking of Darryl Stingley?   That was an absolutely soul crushing story.   Tatum was never the same. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Then why was there such an uproar when the Saints did it?   Ok...so it was the coaches, and they were paying people.   That is a minor difference, but whay I saw people getting pissed about was *knowingly going out to injure other players*.     In the only way in which it matters, this is the same thing.
A: Because it was systemic and orchestrated. B: Because the Patriots aren't doing anything of the sort outside of your fanboy-filtered outrage.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I definitely want to see Patriots punished somehow and I wonder if anyone but Patriots fans disagree?

I am not a Patriots fan, and I disagree.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Knowingly try to injure a player is not the same thing as targeting the injured body part of a player.  All teams do that.  If a RB is coming back from having a sprained ankle, you can best believe that in every pile, someone on the defense is gonna try to grab and twist it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Knowingly try to injure a player is not the same thing as targeting the injured body part of a player.  All teams do that.  If a RB is coming back from having a sprained ankle, you can best believe that in every pile, someone on the defense is gonna try to grab and twist it.
I don't get how that's not the same fucking thing. They're knowingly trying to injure a player by targeting trouble spots on a player for fucks sake.

Offline jammindude

A: Because it was systemic and orchestrated. B: Because the Patriots aren't doing anything of the sort outside of your fanboy-filtered outrage.

It is *by definition* orchestrated. 

Orchestrate: To arrange or manipulate by means of planning or maneuvering.

He has stated a week in advance (arranging and planning) that he is giving his fellow teammates instructions (manuveuring) to "break the arm" of a player with a known existing injury. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Testing the ability of  an injured player is NOT the same as purposefully, and with willful intent trying to do further damage to the injury with the purpose of taking him to the sideline in a stretcher.    "Break his arm" was what he said....not "we're going to through some challenges in his direction to see if he's playing to full abiltity or not."
Not sure how that makes Browner any different than any other player in the league. Do you think if Gronkowski had a bum knee, Sherman's not going for it?? Browner is just an idiot to say that kind of thing publicly.

J Dude, c'mon man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

But what's the punishment?  A fine only it should be unless Bellichick or Brady lied.

Offline jammindude

Not sure how that makes Browner any different than any other player in the league. Do you think if Gronkowski had a bum knee, Sherman's not going for it?? Browner is just an idiot to say that kind of thing publicly.

J Dude, c'mon man.

Trying to judge intent is something that I feel is very dangerous to do.     If something happens, and I have no way of knowing their intent, I am the type of person that will generally (there are exceptions) assume that the best of intentions was in play.     (it's sortof like how people say around here that the world actually full of good people for the most part, and we only *think* it's full of bad people because those are the ones we hear about)    I choose to believe that MOST NFL players would not participate in this Cobra Kai "sweep the leg" BS.  (I'm stealing that because it fits perfectly)

You may feel it is more common that I do.   Maybe you think ALL NFL players are dirty.   But I still choose to believe that most players are not dirty unless I have proof, or open confession.      Now when someone ANNOUNCES their intent in a public interview, they are responsible for what they said, and there's no room for guesswork.   He said it.   They are going after him.   They are going to "sweep the leg"...   And I'm just saying that it really sours the entire game if the NFL doesn't do something about it.    Is that the game the NFL wants on the field???

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Well, but "sweep the leg" was clearly illegal and violated rules.  Hitting a player in an arm that is injured is not remotely against the rules whatsoever.  That analogy does not hold up at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

Willfull intention of injury is against the rules and is subject to fines across the board.   Just ask Suh. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Willfull intention of injury is against the rules and is subject to fines across the board.   Just ask Suh. 

No, I would rather ask the NFL rulebook.  And there is nothing that makes "willful intention of injury" per se against the rules.  It depends on the manner of the injury.  A hit that is otherwise 100% legal does not suddenly become illegal because the player delivering the hit wanted to injure. 

Offline Rattlehead

Seems like Browner brought that "legion of boom" attitude over to New England with him. I mean come on, how can you watch the way a guy like Chancellor plays and not think that he is trying to hurt people every chance he gets? Haven't you seen him hurt his own players trying to hit others?

Offline jammindude

Wow.   People's team colors taint their perspective so much, that they would rather protect one player's open confession of dirty play, and another player with a long documented history of dirty play, than protect a smart mouthed rival who is the victim of such nonsense.   Unbelieveable. 

Just to be clear, if Sherman ever said something like this in the open, I would turn on him just as quickly. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
So, guys, who is ready for that game on Sunday?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow.   People's team colors taint their perspective so much, 
Really?? :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Wow.   People's team colors taint their perspective so much, that they would rather protect one player's open confession of dirty play, and another player with a long documented history of dirty play, than protect a smart mouthed rival who is the victim of such nonsense.   Unbelieveable. 

Just to be clear, if Sherman ever said something like this in the open, I would turn on him just as quickly. 

Sorry, but the only person I see in this discussion whose team colors is tainting his perspective is you.  The fact remains that, while it may have been a jerk thing for him to say, there is nothing illegal about it.  And, honestly, I am not sure there should be.  If that were not the case, this would be the headline story on every sports-related page on the Internet.  It isn't, and for good reason (namely because even 2 minutes in the NFL rulebook will tell you that there is nothing illegal about it). 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I think you are taking his words too literally, jammindude.  I doubt he actually wants his teammates to break Sherman's arm. He just means they will target that weakness, like making throwing passes difficult for him to defend because of the injury, or having the WRs get physical with him in press coverage and try to weaken his arm.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think you are taking his words too literally, jammindude.  I doubt he actually wants his teammates to break Sherman's arm. He just means they will target that weakness, like making throwing passes difficult for him to defend because of the injury, or having the WRs get physical with him in press coverage and try to weaken his arm.
I'm taking Browner at his word. You're giving him too much credit.

Offline Rattlehead

For the record, I'm not a fan of either team and I am not trying to defend Browner. I just think it's funny how hypocritical sports fans can be.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm a huge Russell Wilson fan. I really can't wait for this game.

Offline Rattlehead

I'm pretty excited for the game myself. I can't wait to see the Patriots offense against Seattle's defense on the big stage. I think Seattle will prevail in this one, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm pretty excited for the game myself. I can't wait to see the Patriots offense against Seattle's defense on the big stage. I think Seattle will prevail in this one, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.
I agree. I think it's going to be a tough game for the Pats O. As always, it depends on their O Line.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think this game will be one for the ages.  This will be a heavyweight fight with both having a chance to win.  I can't wait!

Offline jammindude

KJ Wright responds....with class.

"I didn't know he said that, but we don't play like that," Wright said Monday. "We don't go out there and try to hurt guys. And I don't care if they do have an injury. We're not going out there trying to hurt people, and especially guys you're close to. If he said that, it's fine, but that's not our main focus."
"If you know a player's injured, you don't try to re-hurt him," Wright said. "You just try to play ball and play hard. But as far as going out there and targeting certain areas, that's unacceptable and shouldn't be in football."
https://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12232930

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
All teams target players. Hell I watched teams try to sideline Odell Beckham for the last few weeks of the season and there were some very deliberate hits/attempts. Some teams are just a little more blatant than others.