Author Topic: Does anyone feel Twitter is unprofessional?  (Read 4131 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Does anyone feel Twitter is unprofessional?
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2015, 08:16:22 PM »
I find Twitter is mainly good for getting music & film news first and promoting your self. :)

Which is funny, because Facebook is so much better for that stuff. That's primarily what I use it for, and any drama can be avoided by the same means, especially if you don't have any friends like me. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 05:33:30 AM »
Exactly. Would you rather blindly believe that someone that is particularly dickish is a good person?

For me though, it's less of that and more of finding out that certain actors really do just love talking and meeting their fans, and they are awesome people. It gives us just a little bit more hope that we might meet them and be able to hang out one day, as unlikely as it still is. It also gives us confidence to see that their everyday interests and thoughts as well and see that we aren't so different.

But the key word there is "blindly".  I'd like to think I don't follow/believe anything "blindly".   

I do think, though, that the notion that "they are people just like us" is a problem.  They AREN'T just like us, and if you think they are, then I give you "Paris Hilton", "that idiot kid mama boohoo or whatever (I can't even remember her name)", "Jon and Kate", etc.   Most people - including many celebrities - are not equipped mentally, financially, socially, to handle intense fame, and it isn't entertaining to me to watch people flame out. 

I ignore Twitter, and will continue to do so.   For me, the best example is Kiss.   Of course when I was younger (I got into them in '78 or so, with Alive II) Kiss was DANGEROUS.   They were mysterious.  Were they even human?  I wasn't sure.   And even as I got older, and the makeup came off, they were something special.  It was a thrill to meet them once at a meet and greet, but THEY WERE NOT JUST LIKE ME.   Then grunge came, and it was supposed to "break down all the walls" and frankly, even though most of that was musically based on stuff I cut my teeth on, I could do without the whole thing.   Now, the two bands that DO seem have a little mystery, that do seem to do things old school (Van Halen and AC/DC) get ripped across the coals for being "dinosaurs". 

I dunno.  I'd rather not see Gene Simmons in a footy pajama, or know DLR got busted for a nickel bag of weed, and I CERTAINLY don't want to know every one of their Freudian thoughts the instant it comes to their frontal lobe.   Even now at 47 I want the Gene standing 40 feet in the air on a platform beating his chest like Thor, or DLR strutting around the stage with everyone knowing he could (and probably will try to) bang every girl in the arena. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 08:08:08 AM »
I find Twitter is mainly good for getting music & film news first and promoting your self. :)

Which is funny, because Facebook is so much better for that stuff. That's primarily what I use it for, and any drama can be avoided by the same means, especially if you don't have any friends like me. :neverusethis:

I'm going to Spam you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2015, 11:24:51 AM »
I dunno.  I'd rather not see Gene Simmons in a footy pajama, or know DLR got busted for a nickel bag of weed, and I CERTAINLY don't want to know every one of their Freudian thoughts the instant it comes to their frontal lobe.   Even now at 47 I want the Gene standing 40 feet in the air on a platform beating his chest like Thor, or DLR strutting around the stage with everyone knowing he could (and probably will try to) bang every girl in the arena.

None of this explains why celebrities on Twitter is a bad thing.  It just means that you probably wouldn't want to follow them on Twitter.  And since you ignore Twitter, there's really no problem for you, is there?

In the meantime, the people who WOULD like to get to know these celebrities better have a chance to do so. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:31:45 AM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Calvin6s

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2015, 12:01:41 PM »
None of this explains why celebrities on Twitter is a bad thing.  It just means that you probably wouldn't want to follow them on Twitter.  And since you ignore Twitter, there's really no problem for you, is there?

I think it is the opposite.  Twitter was practically made for artists.  There are other business models that Twitter can be a waste of time (or backfire big time).  But artists announcing their latest projects, endorsements, whatever is somewhat useful.

On the flip side, I've actually used Twitter against companies that are seriously delinquent in payment.
Client: times are rough.  We just don't have enough to pay right now
Me:  Really?  Your wife is bragging about the Mediterranean cruise you just took

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »
On the flip side, I've actually used Twitter against companies that are seriously delinquent in payment.
Client: times are rough.  We just don't have enough to pay right now
Me:  Really?  Your wife is bragging about the Mediterranean cruise you just took
LOL
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »

In the meantime, the people who WOULD like to get to know these celebrities better have a chance to do so.

Of course there is no issue, but there is no need to point that out.  You are correct; I don't follow Twitter at all.  And I'm not at all suggesting that it should go away tomorrow.   But I'm answering the question: I do think Twitter is a bad thing; it doesn't provide any additional information that can't be had elsewhere, but it does greatly increase the risk of there being something that could damage the integrity or the power of the "brand".   I think in some senses people don't know what they are missing in that regard.

Calvin6s

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2015, 02:33:25 PM »
You don't need Twitter to make fools of music artists.  Kanye proved that last night.

There is a problem with over usage however.  I don't really spend much time on twitter, but the pattern for me is pretty similar.  Add an artist to my feed.  Get way too many updates.  Take artist off my feed.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2015, 02:36:39 PM »
You don't need Twitter to make fools of music artists.  Kanye proved that last night.

There is a problem with over usage however.  I don't really spend much time on twitter, but the pattern for me is pretty similar.  Add an artist to my feed.  Get way too many updates.  Take artist off my feed.

I've been on and off Twitter for that reason.  Sometimes it just gets too overwhelming and I just get rid of my page.  Now I'll probably use it again and just be more mindful of who I add.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2015, 05:13:06 PM »
"People are people, so why should it be"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD