Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 285200 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'll take electric green over red, white and blue any day.  What an over-used sports color combo!

I loved the Team Irwin colors in the Pro Bowl this year.

You do get why they are Red, White & Blue right? :lol

BTW, I love the Seahawks Uni's!

Patriots:  Yup.

Seahawks:  Yeah, me too, actually.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

What? Y'all are insisting that he go to interviews, and just deal with it, and he did. Jesus christ.

Nobody here is "insisting" that he do anything.  People have just pointed out that he is obligated under contract to give interviews (and just "showing up" is not necessarily the same as giving an interview).  People are entitled to think he is a douche for not living up to his obligations.  Knock off the inflammatory posts.
How can you honestly say to yourself that I'm posting inflammatory posts Bosk? Come on.

Tell ya' what.  I'll explain it to you when you get back from your week off.  Bye now.
lol wow

Offline dparrott

I'll take electric green over red, white and blue any day.  What an over-used sports color combo!

I loved the Team Irwin colors in the Pro Bowl this year.

You do get why they are Red, White & Blue right? :lol

BTW, I love the Seahawks Uni's!

1.  Of course I get that, but I don't understand it for other teams.

2. Me too!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
You don't understand why American sport teams would use American colors  :corn

Offline jammindude

Another reason I love Sherman....but he's not going to be able to do this forever without Godell somehow firing back.   Still, the 'stick it to the man' side of me is giving him a big  :tup right now.

Sherman: EVERYONE in the NFL should be forced to talk to the media every week.....even Goodell.   

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/laces-out/super-bowl-2015-seahawks-patriots-richard-sherman-everyone-should-speak-012715?adbid=10153575159839552&adbpl=fb&adbpr=112638779551&adbsc=social_20150127_39496657

EDIT: If you read the article, he actually thinks that the NFL should back off of players who find the media uncomfortable...but if you're going to apply the rules so absolutely, they should apply to Goodell as well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Did Goodell sign a contract saying he is required to do so?

That aside, I think it would be good to see the commish held accountable by having a weekly press conference, just like I've long said the president of the U.S. should do the same.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Does Goodell not make himself available when people want to ask him something? I just don't see people banging down his door for intel except when there are scandals afoot. Lynch, on the other hand, is the star player on a SB team, and by copping the attitude that he is he's made himself a focal point of curiosity. If he'd taken the Belichick approach and answered with uninteresting nonsense then none of this would be going on. At this point every person with a press pass is going to want face time with him now. If you want to dispute the thug characterization, fine. I'm content to call him a tactless idiot.

And you've always been a fanboy, but when did you become so rabid about it? Have you always been this way and I've just missed it or is it the Superb Owl that riles you up. Christ, man, you're making DoC look fair and unbiased at this point.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Aside from tactless idiot I'm going to add dickhead to the appropriate description. I watched the NFL video of him reciting his mantra 29 times and he actually seemed to be quite pleasant and relaxed during the spectacle. This wasn't a guy who had a real emotional issue with being foisted in front of cameras. This was a guy enjoying behaving like a stubborn douchenozzle.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

I've always called out Seahawks (and any Seattle sports figure *cough* Kemp *cough*) when I felt they were on the wrong side of things.

Lynch and Sherman just happen to hit on a few key issues that are very dear to me.   1) Being forced into something (even if it is technically by contract) that really isn't fair, and sacrifices your personal boundaries or space.    I've never EVER bought into the whole "you're a star so now you have a responsibility to blah blah blah."     Even though I despised The Phoenix Suns and especially Charles Barkley in the 90's, I thought his "I am not a role model" campaign was nothing short of brilliant.   I hated him a little bit less ever since.    2) Forcing people to be PC.   Here's where I eat some crow, because over the course of the day, everyone in the LoB pretty much said that Browner just exaggerates sometimes.  He's like that, but he didn't mean it literally...he's just not very PC.    Ok.  So I retract everything I said about Browner, because that's exactly what I LOVE about Sherman.   I still don't think Browner's wording was very well chosen.  (just like I hate what Sherman said after the SF game last year)  But I've heard now from several people that KNOW him personally, and have given concrete reasons not to rush to judgement.   

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I don't know why the NFL pushes the issue.  Lynch doesn't like talking to the media, so let him be.  It's not like he is going to divulge their game plan or say anything of consequence.  If the whole team refused to talk, I could see that as a problem, but it's one guy, and he's not the first player to not like mics shoved in his face.  It doesn't make him a jerk or douchebag as some people here have suggested.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
if Lynch didn't come off like an @$$hole most of the time, I might be a bit more inclined to sympathize with his "cause", because I truly hate the media and their sense of entitlement about things like this.  But he does, and I'm not.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:40:44 PM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jammindude

And I get to do another retraction.

You're right, he doesn't have social anxieties, he just really hates the sports media in general.   Again, I can't say I really blame him.   He doesn't like to talk shop, or about personal things.     BUT, if it means an Xbox One for the Fam 1st Family Foundation (that he started) he's willing to open up quite a bit.   Even so much as to SING for ET.
https://www.etonline.com/news/156938_seattle_seahawks_running_back_marshawn_lynch_sings_for_et/

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
..... Christ, man, you're making DoC look fair and unbiased at this point.

I'm as fair an unbiased as they come. Hell, I've been too fair on here over the years. Don't know what I did to merit that kind of comment.

Offline Skeever

I think you have to be a complete NFL junkie to tune in to these sorts of press conferences. I get that people want time to ask the coaches and players questions, but the quality of answers is always very poor, whether those answers be in the form of Lynch's antics, Bill Belichick's groaning, Russel Wilson's "God did this" or stock answers like "we didn't execute," "we have to play better", "we've been working our tales off", "xyz is a competitor"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd like to make the point that no one is being forced to do anything.

As Kev (and others) keep pointing out they volunteered to join the NFL and receive all its benefits and requirements. They signed a contract. All NFL players (including Lynch) are free to skip the press if they like but the consequence is a substantial fine.

I think a few contributors to this thread are projecting their personal motivations (fears) onto Lynch. To all appearances he's not afraid of the press, attention or notoriety.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

I'm as fair an unbiased as they come. Hell, I've been too fair on here over the years. Don't know what I did to merit that kind of comment.

Um...if you think your comments in this thread come across as even being in the same zip code as "fair and unbiased," I think you may have some serious self-awareness issues, man.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Well the hell with all of you.  I'm a proud Pats yahoo! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Um...if you think your comments in this thread come across as even being in the same zip code as "fair and unbiased," I think you may have some serious self-awareness issues, man.  :lol

I have been argumentative, and have taking some pretty crazy stances in the past..... but I've always been fair and unbiased, and you'd have a heck of a hard time proving otherwise.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

I was being facetious, man. Didn't mean that as a dig at you. Merely that you're as big a fanboy as they come. Probably shoulda put a LOL or something after that.

And I get to do another retraction.

You're right, he doesn't have social anxieties, he just really hates the sports media in general.   Again, I can't say I really blame him.   He doesn't like to talk shop, or about personal things.     BUT, if it means an Xbox One for the Fam 1st Family Foundation (that he started) he's willing to open up quite a bit.   Even so much as to SING for ET.
https://www.etonline.com/news/156938_seattle_seahawks_running_back_marshawn_lynch_sings_for_et/
And that's what I was getting at with my second "dickhead" remark. You could tell by watching all of the IJHSODGFs that he was perfectly comfortable being there, and several of those were directed at Deion who he has no problem with. He was just acting like a spoiled brat.

And just a thought, Family First seems like a noble cause, but giving some kid an Xbox One? Doesn't that seem a little, er, counterproductive? Maybe throw in some games, slap a Seahawks decal on it, have the team autograph it, eBay it and donate the proceeds or something.
E.F. Benson

Offline dparrott

Fox Sports Radio interviewed a Seattle sports radio host last night, he was talking about having Lynch on his show when he first came to the Seahawks.  Lynch didn't really say anything then either.  There was no Super Bowl hype involved, no TV, no reason or reputation to be that way. 

I think this is both how he is and he is milking it since people are making a big deal about it.  He's getting famous because of it.  He'll retire soon anyway and this will all be forgotten in most of the sports world.

And because of the SB media coverage it's blowing up.  If he was on say the Raiders and acting this way, no one would care.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
DOC is just fine. I think I even complimented him for his unbiasedness a page or so ago. Bart's comment was in jest and I got it.
DOC is very passionate and and that comes through but compared to some of the yahoos, he's actually quite reserved.

That's what Bart was getting at.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Now you're blowing smoke up everybody's ass.  The dude wanted to play.  Did he handle it wrong.  A thousand times yes but that's just bat shit crazy.  Hell, it cost him a ton of money.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Yeah, I'm not sure how you could find any wrongdoing there. Besides which, the Steelers didn't have to release him. They could have kept him aboard out of spite or they could have suspended him, which would have saved them the money but kept him from leaving. Besides which, the Steelers had to have known that another team would snatch him up. Low mileage running backs are a hot commodity.
E.F. Benson

Offline dparrott

Lynch is just another in a long line of NFL characters (Ochocinco, etc).  Without them, it would be even more of a No Fun League.

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
I have no idea if anyone has posted this link yet, since I haven't read through much of this topic, but here it is anyway: https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-new-england-patriots-prevention-of-fumbles-is-nearly-impossible

Go 'Hawks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
For one thing the statistical analysis seemed to be crafted with a goal already in mind. I also notice that as soon as he switches from fumbles lost to fumbles total things smoothed way out (a significant shift since it suggests that increased skill at fumble recovery is also major component) so he added a new metric with the indoor/outdoor thing. It honestly all looks pretty dubious, but there are people here with a much better grasp of statistics than me who might go into it.

One thing I'll also add is that the Patriots have long used a running back de jour approach. If somebody gets a case of the dropsies then they're immediately benched in favor of somebody else. Ask Steven Ridley how well fumbles go over with that team. Between that and the fumbles not lost discrepancy this doesn't seem all that extraordinary. 
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also look at Benjarvis Green-Ellis fumble history to see a 3 year Spen on why they fumbled so little

El Barto is also dead on about Ridley.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
God, I love the Seahawks so much. Sherman getting on peoples' nerves and now Lynch with this fiasco. Shows that the media can't focus on the actual game and do good analysis on the teams' strengths, weaknesses etc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I will say this: years from now, when Marshawn Lynch has been retired for five years and has what most will consider a Hall of Fame resume, but doesn't get in right away, or for a long time, he can look in the mirror and see why.  The media won't forget this.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
We know what he'll say at the podium.  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I will say this: years from now, when Marshawn Lynch has been retired for five years and has what most will consider a Hall of Fame resume, but doesn't get in right away, or for a long time, he can look in the mirror and see why.  The media won't forget this.
Good point. I wonder if he'd take some advice from Charles Haley.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Proving that HOF voters use spite rather than objectivity. But I guess some people will find a way to spin this issue into it being the athletes' fault more than the voters' as per SOP.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
The HOF seems to be not looking at RBs much lately and are trying to get in the glut that backed up at other positions, namely WR.  Bettie is sixth all time, and I don't see him getting the nod for another year or two.

Lynch is still a good two seasons worth of work until he reaches Corey Dillon, and I don't exactly see anyone making a case for him.  Hopefully Lynch holds up physically and gets a chance to see where he legitimately stacks up all time, but I think he needs about three more good seasons.