Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 281856 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I don't see how it was all that different than other halftime shows.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
As much as I hated the outcome of the game, I was more put off by the halftime show. Hyped all week as "global superstar", what we got was a lip-syncing moron with dancing sharks. This is what people consider to be great entertainment? And before anyone says "who cares, she's hawt" you do realize you could take any reasonably attractive female, put the spray-tan and make-up on them and have them dance around like a tramp while pretending to sing and no could tell the difference? At least not anyone further back than 5 rows. I wonder if Perry and her handlers could see the contrast between her "performance" and those of Legend and Menzel.

I actually found it refreshing that I didn't have to worry about the children at the Super Bowl party seeing or hearing something they shouldn't by someone trying to make a point or splash.....she is a 'relevent' pop star who does put on a good show whether you like her or not.....meaning her songs are popular right now ****cough cough...The Who....Springsting....**cough cough..... so there was no history lesson that needed to be explained to the younger people watching. And seriously....the lip syncing argument is not even an argument because near every singer these days do that, especially in a grand event like that....it's just the 'safe' way to perform....I don't think anyone expects Katy Perry or Talyor Swift or whoever to actually 'sing'...Was it drop down...slam bam just out of this world? Not at all, but it was a far cry better than the past few years in the sense that it is what it was meant to be....10 minutes of entertainment.

I can't believe I just defended Katy Perry  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
Did anyone else think that this commercial sounded like the beginning to Bridges In The Sky?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
As much as I hated the outcome of the game, I was more put off by the halftime show. Hyped all week as "global superstar", what we got was a lip-syncing moron with dancing sharks. This is what people consider to be great entertainment? And before anyone says "who cares, she's hawt" you do realize you could take any reasonably attractive female, put the spray-tan and make-up on them and have them dance around like a tramp while pretending to sing and no could tell the difference? At least not anyone further back than 5 rows. I wonder if Perry and her handlers could see the contrast between her "performance" and those of Legend and Menzel.

What were you expecting?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
And nobody's talking about the off-side penalty that led to Bruce Irvin's dazzling display of sportsmanship. The game was not over at that point. NE had no room to kneel and a safety/free kick would have given Seattle a great chance to pull it out. Much like GB two weeks ago a crucial breakdown of discipline.

I mentioned this in my last post, but yeah, not a lot of talk about the fact that the game was NOT OVER. If they come up with a big stop there, they get the ball back at roughly midfield only down by two with a timeout and about 40 seconds on the clock. Could've made two quick plays, spike, and kick the FG for the win. NOPETHEYWENTOFFSIDESGAMEOVER.

Well, no.  There were only 20 seconds left when NE got the ball.  Not sure how the coaches would have drawn it up, but I think if I am in the situation for NE, I put Brady in the shotgun with max protection, have the wideout run a streak down the sideline, and have Brady just hold the ball as long as he can, and then lob high passes way downfield out of bounds.  If they can eat up 5 seconds per play, that only leaves 5 seconds for them to do the same thing and take a safety on 5th, then do the free kick with only a couple of seconds on the clock.  I kind of wish that penalty hadn't happened so that we could have seen how it would have played out, but I still think NE easily comes away with the win without Seattle ever really getting another chance.
I had considered that as a possibility, but I don't think you try it. Keep in mind that a grounding, or more importantly a hold, result in the same safety. It also struck me that the Patriots were uncharacteristically confused as to what to do there. Looked like they lined up to kneel down, then realized it wouldn't work and called timeout. Then they lined up to kneel down again which resulted in the offside. Brady has a knack for getting 2 or 3 yards on keepers, so I assume that's what they were going to do, but I'm honestly not sure. In any event it had the potential for an even more thrilling finish than what we got, had SEA been able to exercise some discipline.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Been sending that everywhere hehehe

Offline dparrott

They should have FAKED to Lynch and then a receiver might have been open.  Oh well, they'll be back.

So um, one month until spring training games!  ;D
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
And nobody's talking about the off-side penalty that led to Bruce Irvin's dazzling display of sportsmanship. The game was not over at that point. NE had no room to kneel and a safety/free kick would have given Seattle a great chance to pull it out. Much like GB two weeks ago a crucial breakdown of discipline.

I mentioned this in my last post, but yeah, not a lot of talk about the fact that the game was NOT OVER. If they come up with a big stop there, they get the ball back at roughly midfield only down by two with a timeout and about 40 seconds on the clock. Could've made two quick plays, spike, and kick the FG for the win. NOPETHEYWENTOFFSIDESGAMEOVER.

Well, no.  There were only 20 seconds left when NE got the ball.  Not sure how the coaches would have drawn it up, but I think if I am in the situation for NE, I put Brady in the shotgun with max protection, have the wideout run a streak down the sideline, and have Brady just hold the ball as long as he can, and then lob high passes way downfield out of bounds.  If they can eat up 5 seconds per play, that only leaves 5 seconds for them to do the same thing and take a safety on 5th, then do the free kick with only a couple of seconds on the clock.  I kind of wish that penalty hadn't happened so that we could have seen how it would have played out, but I still think NE easily comes away with the win without Seattle ever really getting another chance.
I had considered that as a possibility, but I don't think you try it. Keep in mind that a grounding, or more importantly a hold, result in the same safety. It also struck me that the Patriots were uncharacteristically confused as to what to do there. Looked like they lined up to kneel down, then realized it wouldn't work and called timeout. Then they lined up to kneel down again which resulted in the offside. Brady has a knack for getting 2 or 3 yards on keepers, so I assume that's what they were going to do, but I'm honestly not sure. In any event it had the potential for an even more thrilling finish than what we got, had SEA been able to exercise some discipline.

I was shocked they were able to draw them off.  He could not kneel.  Great cadence by Brady in that moment.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

As far as calling the passing plays, yeah, I would love to hear what a coach would have to say about that approach, but I just figure that, during that timeout, you tell your players they just HAVE TO be disciplined and not get a holding call.  And as far as grounding, I think that is less of a concern if, again, you just have a receiver streaking down the sideline and you throw it out of bounds in the receiver's general vicinity.  If the above fails, worst case scenario is you take the safety early and end up having to free kick it to them with around 15 second left.  That definitely leaves the Seahawks a window, but it is still a small one.

Not sure what they were going to do.  A keeper/sneak seems to make the most sense, but hard to say if that is what they actually were going to do. 

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Time for the final Monday morning QB's of the season.  If I had it my way, both teams would've lost:lol

Not sure if this was directed at me, but even still, as it pertains to the highlighted quote, I would say that both teams deserved to win this week. I feel both teams made some great plays, and a couple bonehead plays. Hard fought game right down to the end. If Brady doesn't throw that first pick, everything being equal, it's not even that close of a game in the end. If Carroll makes the right call at the end, the Hawks most likely win. Hell, they even had a chance to get the ball back if they could have forced a safety after that call (another bonehead play to go offside there). If there was any game where both teams deserve to lose it was the Green Bay/Seattle game from two weeks ago, not this one.

Wasn't directed at you at all.  I didn't say that based on the merits of either team.  They are both obviously great teams.  It was meant to be a joke based on not liking either team.  I was neither routing for one or the other.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
We want to pay the QBs the most money. Let them earn it. Wilson gets that insane call in his head set. He could have audibled out to a run... or maybe a fade to the corner.  Another thing he could have done would be to run to the outside, and if it was clear that he could get to the goal line, throw that ball into the 10th row.

Easy to say from the couch. If they score, he's most likely the hero. It is what it is.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
15 counts of animal abuse involving a dog and an alligator? What in the fuck?

https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12268940/terrence-cody-formerly-baltimore-ravens-indicted-animal-abuse

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Went to work at 5am this morning, came home to clear 8" out of my driveway. Finally inside..

Anyway, obviously dumb to call that play at the end, but the thing is, that looked like a sure touchdown, had Marcus Butler not pulled that defensive play out of his ass.
It would've been hailed as a great call had it been successful, and it almost was. Pats expecting a run, boom slant for the score.
And what was awesome about it was that Butler had the wherewithall to CATCH the ball, not just knock it down. Had he just broken it up, Lynch takes the ball on the next snap.

Did you see that Asante Samuel??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Brady was the obvious MVP.  Sure, they don't win without Butler's play, but take Brady out of the game and they lose by 20+.  I am never a fan of giving someone the MVP for one play. I still think it's a joke that Desmond Howard got it over Favre in SB 31 because he had one kickoff return for a TD.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

I have essentially zero connection to Katie Perry's music, but visually the show was fucking fantastic. The polygon lion, the awesome projections on the ground. And yes, the sudden switch to the beach set made it even better. It was ludicrous, but intentionally so, and it totally worked.
The only part that didn't work for me was the Missy Elliot part. Rap just doesn't translate live.

On another note, I was told yesterday that the next Superbowl will *not* be called "Superbowl L", but instead " Superbowl 50"?
How lame. If you're gonna choose Roman numerals, then at least stick with them.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Damn, would that officially rid America of the last trace of Roman numerals? Can't think of anywhere else they're still used off the top of my head. Too bad, I like the things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Nope. They will go back to Roman numerals with Superbowl LI. It's ludicrous.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
You know us Americans Rumbo.  What's the Metric system?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
More seriously though, as good a coach as Carroll is, he's gonna be known for probably the biggest all time bonehead play call in SB history.  However, I suppose it's poetic justice that they gave the game away when the Packers did them the same favor 2 weeks earlier.
The NFC playoffs teams suffered one grueling loss followed by another.

Lions lose in gut wrenching fashion to Cowboys.
Cowboys lose in gut wrenching fashion to Packers.
Packers lose in gut wrenching fashion to Seahawks.
Seahawks lose in gut wrenching fashion to Pats.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

I have essentially zero connection to Katie Perry's music, but visually the show was fucking fantastic. The polygon lion, the awesome projections on the ground. And yes, the sudden switch to the beach set made it even better. It was ludicrous, but intentionally so, and it totally worked.
The only part that didn't work for me was the Missy Elliot part. Rap just doesn't translate live.

I have to agree.  Except the part about Missy Elliot.  I mean, I didn't care for that part either, but it certainly has an audience. 

Offline dparrott

I'd much rather have it Super Bowl 50 than Super Bowl L.  Super BowllllllllLLLLlllLLLL.  It's probably for logo/artistic reasons.

And these anti-Seahawks memes are really cheesing me off.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

I hate to admit it, but that's a good one.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's funny but I like Russell as a QB and a person. The other meme is fitting. You play to the camera and mock your equal you're going to get burned.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I'd like to see the Super Bowl announce a huge mega star for the halftime show, then roll out Rick Astley.

Or "Up With People".  Either would be the best prank ever.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
More seriously though, as good a coach as Carroll is, he's gonna be known for probably the biggest all time bonehead play call in SB history. 

Which is really dumb because his rationale for calling that play was actually pretty sound.  And I read that if you compare the success rate of the play they called vs. the success rate of Lynch from 1 yard out, the success rate weighed far in favor of the pass play.  For whatever reason, despite Lynch's beastly numbers, his success rate from the 1 yard line is decidedly pedestrian (assuming that article was correct).  But even aside from that, the Pats run D was doing a serviceable job, and it isn't a stretch to assume that if they stacked the box, they might have gotten some stops.  I don't think it hurts to take a shot at a pass and stop the clock, knowing you will likely still have two chances at a run play (2 chances because they still had a timeout). 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
That Sherman picture had me chuckling. Wait till the game's over pal before doing that crap. Or, how about not doing it at all. And I just saw Baldwin's touchdown "Celebration." Good grief.

I thought for a minute about Russell Wilson, and how a mature player like him should be able to not let this bury his confidence or future, and that he'll be back. But then I thought about Dan Marino.

It also occurred to me that we are also reasonably close to owning 3 SB championships. Not complaining or crying foul, just a thought.

Regarding that last pass play, if SEA goes with Lynch, do the Pats let him in to get the ball back? Belicheck wasn't calling any TOs so that would lead you to think that wasn't their plan. and why did it takem them over 30 seconds to run that play anyway?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Might I add that despite Carroll's greatness, this is only the 2nd most boneheaded thing one of his teams has done.

Remember in the National Championship Game versus Texas when they were faced with a 4th and 2? And in that do or die moment, the best player in Reggie Bush, watched from the sideline...for some reason.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Regarding that last pass play, if SEA goes with Lynch, do the Pats let him in to get the ball back? Belicheck wasn't calling any TOs so that would lead you to think that wasn't their plan. and why did it takem them over 30 seconds to run that play anyway?

That AND the fact that when he ran it from the 5, they sure tried to stop him (and succeeded).  I was thinking right after THAT play that it might have been better if they just let him get in while there was still time. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
More seriously though, as good a coach as Carroll is, he's gonna be known for probably the biggest all time bonehead play call in SB history. 

Which is really dumb because his rationale for calling that play was actually pretty sound.  And I read that if you compare the success rate of the play they called vs. the success rate of Lynch from 1 yard out, the success rate weighed far in favor of the pass play.  For whatever reason, despite Lynch's beastly numbers, his success rate from the 1 yard line is decidedly pedestrian (assuming that article was correct).  But even aside from that, the Pats run D was doing a serviceable job, and it isn't a stretch to assume that if they stacked the box, they might have gotten some stops.  I don't think it hurts to take a shot at a pass and stop the clock, knowing you will likely still have two chances at a run play (2 chances because they still had a timeout).
Yeah, I agree. People are acting as if it's a sure thing they win if ML runs the ball. That's not even remotely true. Then you have two fantastic coaches trying to outdo one another with clock management, and play calls and it's a pretty complicated situation. Now, a quick slant into the most crowded part of the field is a different story, but I don't hear people complaining about what pass they called.
E.F. Benson