Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 170890 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #770 on: October 11, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »
I got it - your sense of humor IS hard to peg though.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #771 on: October 11, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »
Ugh - IMO, Dee is one of the most useless characters on the show.  Never did like her.

She was damn cute.

And she was responsible for, in my opinion, one of the most shocking and sad moments in the show.
Oh yeah! When I first saw that my jaw broke the floor and the basement.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #772 on: October 12, 2012, 07:57:03 AM »
I got it - your sense of humor IS hard to peg though.

CAN WE AT LEAST HAVE ONE THREAD ON THIS FORUM WHERE WE DON'T BRING UP ANDYDT!

Anyway, the Captain's Hand...so...Commander Adama, eh?  Hmm...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: October 12, 2012, 09:15:11 AM »
Oh man, I'm getting excited for you.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #774 on: October 12, 2012, 09:20:41 AM »
Me too.  More tonight.  But what we learned yesterday:

1.  Lee can take command and perform under pressure (despite him being a tool at times, we pretty much already knew this)
2.  Dee has gone from likeable character to even farther down the road of stupid, unlikeable bimbo.
3.  Starbuck is complicated (yeah, we already knew this, too), but is like that one person everybody knows who is a complete screw up and doesn't know when to keep their mouth shut to save their lives, but is always there for you (or for anyone else, for that matter) when the chips are down
4.  Colonials care about abortion (this is the LAST thing I wanted in my sci-fi series  :\ )
5.  Gaius' self-motivated treachery knows no bounds (yeah, we pretty much knew this as well)
6.  Apparently, everybody in a position of power conveniently has a jewel box in their desk with lapel pins (or whatever they are) for all military ranks so that they can promote anybody to the next rank right on the spot
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #775 on: October 12, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »
4.  Colonials care about abortion (this is the LAST thing I wanted in my sci-fi series  :\ )

I thought it could have been handled better, but given the circumstances of the fleet it was actually relevant within the context of the story.

What I didn't like is how it almost felt too disconnected from the real world.  The episode framed the debate in terms of - 'the religious anti-abortion delegates were right for the wrong reasons, and the pro-choice advocates were wrong for the right reasons.'

Well... maybe.  But what does that matter.  I think Flesh and Bone is a great episode because it forces me to look at an important idea in a different way.  I don't look at abortion even remotely differently after Captain's Hand.  It doesn't mean anything.  And from a dramatic standpoint, it wasn't my favorite episode of the series.

So why was it in the show other than to touch on heated subject matter?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #776 on: October 12, 2012, 09:31:32 AM »
I agree with you.

So why was it in the show other than to touch on heated subject matter?

Yeah, for the reasons you mentioned, it felt both gratuitous and pointless.  But it did serve a purpose, plotwise (or, at least, it looks that way now) in that it is the issue on which Gaius is able to part ways and publicly forge his own political identity, and it is at least the first big wedge between what looks to be the two major political camps in the upcoming election.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #777 on: October 12, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »
Remember the show has a relationship to Star Trek, which is a scifi franchise built to touch on social issues.  I think Moore is used to doing this kind of thing and let that come along with him into the series.  Felt out of place in this universe, though, I agree.

2.  Dee has gone from likeable character to even farther down the road of stupid, unlikeable bimbo.
Hear hear!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #778 on: October 12, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »
Yup, Dee, Lee, and Billy represent one of my biggest complaints of the series.  Fine, they decided to kill off a character that was both popular and they wanted to keep in the series, but they did it terribly.  They almost retroactively wrecked a great back burner plot line (Billy & Dee), turned Dee from an easily liked character to one that never could  recover a positive image, and had to make Billy look sort of sad before offing him.  All because Billy's actor wouldn't sign a long term contract.
I really never had a problem with any of this, because right from the first series one of the big themes of the show for me was that EVERYONE is flawed.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #779 on: October 12, 2012, 08:51:24 PM »
Flawed, yes.  ...but a hidden love for Lee the whole time?  Come on.  It takes the whole hopeful bright spot relationship and reduces it to something that had no hope to begin with.  They didn't need to play Dee that way, it was just a shift trying to make Billy's death more valiant or something.  Instead he came across awkward.  He always had his faults, but he was someone that excelled despite of them.  Nearing his end it seemed they wanted to play up his bumbling nature more negatively instead of as a backwards positive.

Lee, well, Lee is Lee, but it doesn't help you like him.

Faults are one thing, they botched the story telling on a plot move they didn't want to do in the first place.  The route they took spoiled something they had done good, that's a bad move.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #780 on: October 12, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »
Since this doesn't ruin things for Bosk - Fragged is secretly one of the best episodes of the series that no one talks about.

SPOILERS

- Great story of how Tigh eventually chooses to impose martial law.  The breakdown of his command is dramatized very well here.  A lot of the stuff with Ellen during these episodes feels too much like her just simply nagging him into stupidity.  But in this episode she does interesting things that cause Tigh to do dumb things for very understandable and intriguing reasons.

- A lot of Crashdown being bad at leadership in the previous two episodes felt a bit silly.  Definitely good television, but it felt almost like an exercise in seeing just how incompetent you could believably write a character.  In this episode, it takes a very dark turn that really helps pay the whole arc off.  The scene where he draws the graphs on the ground is absurd, which is why it's brilliant and uncomfortably truthful.

- Baltar's little arc on Kobol has an interesting end.  You need him to do something that makes him a man, but you also can't have him become more self-actualized in any way.  So, you have him do something extreme (killing Crashdown) under such extreme pressure that it's almost not a conscious act (he looks surprised even after he does it).  This puts Baltar in a position where he didn't actually do something that allows him to call himself more of a man.  Instead, he's forced into playing the role of a man, and then having to sort out what that means he should do.  Of course, as we see almost immediately, this becomes a disaster.

- Special effects in this episode are some of the best in the series.  Not necessarily because of the special effects work itself, but the quality of the plate shots.  For instance, when the missile battery fires, the camera pans upward with the missiles.  Since you don't actually see any of this when you're filming the plate, it requires a lot of vision to figure something like that out on the day.  Lots of great shots like that in this episode.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #781 on: October 15, 2012, 08:49:11 AM »
Baltar is such a tool.  I wish they'd kill him.  Anyway...

-Downloaded - Awesome.  Although I think there is perhaps an unnoticed continuity error.  Both Caprica Six and Sharon were "killed" quite some time ago, plotwise.  Why did it take so long to resurrect them?  We know from other episodes that the process doesn't take long at all.  Or did this episode actually take place fairly long ago, and is just a bit out of sequence?  I guess that's possible.  We're led to believe at the end of the episode that the two of them are going to persuade the Cylons that they have made a grave mistake, and then that suddenly happens in the next episode or two, which seems odd.  I guess it's more believable if Downloaded actually occurred some time ago, and Caprica Six and Sharon actually spent a long time on a campaign that we as the audience do not see, but that took place at the same time as all the events we are more familiar with, convincing the rest of the Cylons.  That could have been explained a bit better.  Anyway, aside from that, great episode.

Lay Down Your Burdens, 1 and 2:  Oh.  Just...oh.  Wow.  Things have taken a very dark turn indeed.

Occupied:  More of that.  And a lot of characters have rightly undergone serious develoment and/or transformations.  Can't wait to see what happens next...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: October 15, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »
Downloaded was awesome. Unconventional, yeah, but still very effective.

You are now at the heart of what is probably my favorite 5-run episode of BSG in the series.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #783 on: October 15, 2012, 08:55:28 AM »
Terohr Ialv!

Make sure you watch the webisodes!  They're set between seasons 2 and 3!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #784 on: October 15, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »
Terohr Ialv!

???

How do I get the webisodes?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #785 on: October 15, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »
-Downloaded - Awesome.  Although I think there is perhaps an unnoticed continuity error.

I think the intention is that you go back in time to see Caprica Six and Boomer's resurrections, and then move forward to something closer to the time frame of the series.

When the two Cavils are explaining the reprieve to Adama, there's no offer of friendship or anything like that.  I'd guess the idea of the Occupation and attempt at merging the two races together formulated later.

Lay Down Your Burdens, 1 and 2:  Oh.  Just...oh.  Wow.  Things have taken a very dark turn indeed.

These episodes are so good for so many reasons.

Even though it's not a crucial part of the plot, the whole Cavil/Chief thing is just interesting.  I loved when Cavil made the reference to the Cylon parties.  It was an obvious tip of the hat to him being a Cylon, but so awesome a moment that it didn't matter.

The music at the beginning (Something Dark is Coming) is one of the best tracks in the series.

The One Year Later thing is still mind blowing, especially with how it was done.  No buildup of any kind.  It's just like "yup, we're going here."

The whole election stealing plot.  Including the scene where Adama and Roslin decide not to do it.

The scene with the two Cavils is one of the best in the series.  So perfectly acted by Dean Stockwell.

I could go on and on.

Occupied:  More of that.  And a lot of characters have rightly undergone serious develoment and/or transformations.  Can't wait to see what happens next...

Episodes 301 - 304 are my favorite episodes of the series.

You have the notion of one of the main characters (Tigh) ordering a suicide bombing and actually having an argument for doing it that's hard to deny.  The intro (with the music and the images) is classic Ronald D Moore (he did that kind of stuff from time to time on Carnivale, and it was just as amazing).

BSG is generally at its best when it creates really twisted situations that you're forced to intellectually.  By doing this, you feel the emotion of moments that are generally not only outside your conceptions of reality, but actually antagonistic to them.  If somebody ever asked me - "Would you root for a TV character that ordered a suicide bombing?"  I'd probably say no.  Yet here I am.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #786 on: October 15, 2012, 09:14:31 AM »
YES!  All of that!

-Downloaded - Awesome.  Although I think there is perhaps an unnoticed continuity error.

I think the intention is that you go back in time to see Caprica Six and Boomer's resurrections, and then move forward to something closer to the time frame of the series.

That makes sense.  Although, again, I wish they had done a bit more to explain that that was the timeline.  Or maybe they did and I just missed it (I was so exhausted this weekend that there were a few times when I feel asleep and had to go back and rewatch, so I may have missed a couple of things here and there).

Even though it's not a crucial part of the plot, the whole Cavil/Chief thing is just interesting.  I loved when Cavil made the reference to the Cylon parties.  It was an obvious tip of the hat to him being a Cylon, but so awesome a moment that it didn't matter.

Cavil, or Chief?  :biggrin: 

I pretty much knew right from Cavil's first appearance that he was a Cylon.  And, no, I didn't pick that up from any spoilers.  It was just fairly obvious to me.  Which must mean I am a Cylon.  Hmm...

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #787 on: October 15, 2012, 09:17:04 AM »
Terohr Ialv!

???
Remember awhile back we were discussing characters with coded names wo you wouldn't know?  Terohr Ialv = Brother Cavil.

Not sure what you're watching off of, but they were in special features on the dvd set.  I think it might have been disc 2, they didn't advertise them well.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #788 on: October 15, 2012, 09:17:54 AM »

Cavil.  Until all 12 Cylons are revealed, I refuse to discount anyone.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #789 on: October 15, 2012, 09:23:01 AM »
Terohr Ialv!

???
Remember awhile back we were discussing characters with coded names wo you wouldn't know?  Terohr Ialv = Brother Cavil.

Not sure what you're watching off of, but they were in special features on the dvd set.  I think it might have been disc 2, they didn't advertise them well.

I'll have to look at my disks.  I don't have the huge mega box set of the entire thing.  I just have each season.  Hopefully, they're included in there and I just missed it.  I'll check.

Cavil.  Until all 12 Cylons are revealed, I refuse to discount anyone.

I hear ya'.  So with the addition of Cavil, at this point in the story, 7 have been revealed.  (What's his model #?)  And, unfortunately, as I mentioned awhile back, I know about two others (although how they will be revealed is still a mystery).  So that leaves 3 unidentified.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #790 on: October 15, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #791 on: October 15, 2012, 09:26:15 AM »
The webisodes were on my season 3 dvd set.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #792 on: October 15, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »

Episodes 301 - 304 are my favorite episodes of the series.

Don't forget 305, which is my second favourite of those first five episodes, and is really the coda.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #793 on: October 15, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »
The start of series 3 is one of the greatest things ever out of all things.

Goddamn I really need to watch this show again!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #794 on: October 16, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »
Precipice.   :omg: 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #795 on: October 18, 2012, 09:00:21 AM »
So...just finished Exodus pt. 2 last night.  Just...wow.  This whole story arc of the occupation of New Caprica was really good and definitely makes this show a VERY close runner up for best sci-fi show on TV (behind TSCC, of course).  And even aside from all the other coolness, the arc was very emotionally satisfying as well.  They really nailed giving a perfect mix of triumph at the cost of great personal tragedy.

It also sets up some really great story lines.  For one thing, the occupation and exodus should, for all intents and purposes, unite the surviving colonists.  I am sure an underlying theme in ongoing episodes will be the tension between this newfound unity vs. the types of division that are sure to naturally spring up for a variety of reasons.

So...humans vs. Cylons.  Interesting dynamic.  This occupation likely will have made the Cylons' actions toward humanity even more personal to the colonists.  The dialog between Baltar and Three toward the end of the episode plays on this.  He tells her the Cylons should just leave.  And her response is basically, "What then?  You'll tell your children about how the evil Cylons tried to wipe out and then enslave humanity, and they will tell their children, and eventually, they will set out to find us and pay us back."  The unspoken response, of course, is:  "Well, yeah.  You DID try to wipe us out and then enslave us.  They will probably be consequences for that that cannot simply be erased.  But that will just have to dealt with later."  This sets up a really interesting dynamic.  All in all, any chance for peace is all but gone.  The Cylons completely stirred up the hornet's nest, and I think there is likely a renewed fire in the minds and hearts of the Colonials to fight back.  Only problem is, they simply do not have the resources.  Althought it hasn't been revealed, I would guess they are in even worse shape now than when they first left Caprica, except they may have more vipers.  Pegasus is gone, and likely a lot of resources with it.  Gallactica is severely damaged.  There are less civilian ships.  A lot of resources were likely left behind on New Caprica--and given the long stay there, the ships themselves were likely VERY light on resources when they left.  And a lot of people have died.  The Colonials are in no shape for a fight whatsoever.  Yet I'm sure they are itching for one.  Interested to see how this plays out. 

What about the government?  It's logical Roslyn will retake control with no opposition whatsoever.  Zarek looks likely to back her, at least for now, and it wouldn't surprise me if he became VP.  Down the road?  Who knows?  Zarek is likely a VERY changed man, but he still doesn't strike me as the type to play nice when he has his own agenda to fullfil.  And surely there are others with ambitions as well.

What about the collaborators?  The audience I think sympathizes with Gaita because we know a lot more about him than any of the characters do.  But as far as the Colonials are concerned, he has some serious 'splaining to do.  Similar with Jammer.  I'm pretty sure Tyrol and others saw him remove his mask, revealing that he was part of the Cylon police force.  He and others will have some things to answer for.  Given that the title of the next episode is "Collaborators," I'm sure some of this will be dealt with in short order.

What about Sharon?  She's a Cylon in the fleet.  Just...wow.  This is going to cause some tensions I'm sure.  And she and Helo are inevitably going to bring the issue of Hera being alive to a head.  Should be interesting.

And what about other Cylons in the fleet?  This is really interesting to think about on so many levels.  Okay, here's my Cylon count so far in terms of models revealed:
-No. 1:  (Cavill)   
-No. 2:  (Leoben) 
-No. 3 (D'Anna Biers)
-No. 4 (Simon)   
-No. 5:  (Doral)   
-No. 6: 
-No. 8:  (Sharon) 
5 undiscovered models (I know what some are, but not others).  Some or all of which likely have copies among the fleet.  What do?  Going back to Adama's conversation on this subject with Sharon, I'm still surprised that he failed to ask the most important question in that dialog.  He asked whether she would reveal the other Cylons in the fleet.  She said no.  The mandatory follow-up question is "why not?"  Is she choosing not to?  Is she unable to?  The answer to this question is perhaps the single most crucial piece of information he can gain from her and could reveal a lot about her motives and the Cylons' plans.  Maybe she doesn't know.  Maybe per programming actively prevents her from revealing that.  Maybe she is sympathetic to the cause(s) some of them may have.  Maybe they just want to be left alone and considered human, and she doesn't want to betray that.  Maybe they don't know what they are.  Lots of possibilities.  But especially now that she is an officer, Adama needs to know WHY she won't or can't tell him.  This needs to play out soon for the writers to hold their credibility.

What about Starbuck?  She has gone through some devastating psychological and emotional manipulation that I am sure will have ramifications.

Lots more questions and comments I could make, but I have to work, so that's enough for now.  I may not even watch anymore episodes for a little while.  Yeah, there are lots of questions and loose ends (I didn't even really get into issues about what the other Cylons outside the fleet may be up to).  But right now, I think I'll just bask in the feeling that everything is okay for now, now that they are freed and the Cylons temporarily beaten.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #796 on: October 18, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »
That 2-parter was awesome! Especially this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #797 on: October 18, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
BOSK FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK DO NOT DO IT

RELATED VIDEOS CONTAIN MASSIVE SERIES DESTROYING SPOILERS
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #798 on: October 18, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »
???  I clicked it before you posted.  But what spoilers are you talking about?  It's just a 1:02 clip from Exodus, pt. 2, which I've already seen.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #799 on: October 18, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »
Whatever, it's the Galactica in-atmosphere jump in the link.

???  I clicked it before you posted.  But what spoilers are you talking about?  It's just a 1:02 clip from Exodus, pt. 2, which I've already seen.
He means the related vids on the right side, though I never pay attention to them.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #800 on: October 18, 2012, 10:21:12 AM »

The related videos on the side of the page had multiple clips from literally the last episode of the show.
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:20 AM »
BOSK FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK DO NOT DO IT

RELATED VIDEOS CONTAIN MASSIVE SERIES DESTROYING SPOILERS

Oh, shit. I just watched the last ten minutes again.

Geez. It hit me even harder.

EDIT:

Bosk, you're now over what I and many others consider to be the zenith of quality in the series. The next two seasons are full of some of the show's best and worst moments. Just keep in mind that the ending is so worth sticking through whatever. They really went all-out on making sure you felt as much completion with the series as possible.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #802 on: October 18, 2012, 12:20:27 PM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #803 on: October 18, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »
Bosk, you're now over what I and many others consider to be the zenith of quality in the series. The next two seasons are full of some of the show's best and worst moments. Just keep in mind that the ending is so worth sticking through whatever. They really went all-out on making sure you felt as much completion with the series as possible.

In before GP shits all over this.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #804 on: October 18, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
Well, the New Caprica arc was quite possibly the best arc in the series, but there's plenty of great stuff left.  Just thinking about what's going to be happening in the rest of season 3 makes me want to watch the series.