Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 165670 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #630 on: September 04, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »
If he picks up Razor with the season 4 boxset it includes a version of Razor with those webisodes thrown in.

Yeah, that's what I've got. 

So, watched the S1 finale.  Mind blown.

4 episodes into S2 (Mrs. bosk1 has become a huge fan and is almost more enthusiastic about watching it than I am), mind blown repeatedly.  And given that this is sci-fi, and that it is a redo of Battlestar Frikkin' Galactica, it's good that they are finally putting a lot more focus on actually doing stuff with centurions.  I was kinda bummed that pretty much all they seemed to do for most of S1 was stand around looking menacing while the more "human" looking models actually did stuff (aside from chasing Helo and "Boomer" around Caprica City). 

I really hate Tigh now.  I was starting to like him until his wife showed up.  He is a very well-written character, but one that it is just impossible to like after seeing such deep and despicable character flaws on display since Ellen appeared and Adama Sr. went down.  It wouldn't surprise me if the writers somewhat redeem him at some point, but for now, I really can't stand his character. 

In case it wasn't obvious, here's where I am in the story (I am assuming it is hard to keep track of what happened when if you have seen the whole thing and aren't following along with me):  Things seemed at an all-time high with the discovery of Kobol and the destruction of a basestar.  Then things rapidly went WAY downhill.  Adama was shot and in critical condition, Tigh took control and declared martial law, Roslyn and Appollo were locked in the brig, a group of centurions ravaged the Galactica, etc.  So, Roslyn and Appollo got off the Galactica and reluctantly joined forces with Zarek.  Adama woke up and is presumably about to re-take command.  What's left of the crew on Kobol were rescued, and the Galactica version of No. 8 (Boomer) was shot and "died" in Tyrol's arms (this is up there in the running for all-time dumbest moves of any Galactica character).  Helo and Starbuck joined forces with some rebels on Caprica after being on the run when the Caprica version of Boomer took off with Starbuck's raider.  I'm assuming Starbuck still has the arrow, but the fact that they haven't shown it makes me uneasy--I wish they would hurry up and resolve this issue.  Anyhow, I think that's mostly it.  Oh, and I'm wondering whether there is any relevance to Boomer's comment that there are 8 Cylon agents in the fleet.  Where I am going with that is that, since there are supposedly 12 models, and we know what 4 look like (Nos. 2, 5, 6, and 8).  So this could mean there is one copy of each of the remaining 12 models somewhere in the fleet.  ...or it could just be a red herring. 

Anyhow...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #631 on: September 04, 2012, 11:17:15 AM »
:lol  The question you asked at the end is one the single most discussed issues in fandom.  They played it up big time in hyping the show.  It made sense, always keeping their options open while driving up speculation/paranoia.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #632 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:25 AM »
:lol  The question you asked at the end is one the single most discussed issues in fandom.  They played it up big time in hyping the show.  It made sense, always keeping their options open while driving up speculation/paranoia.

You mean about the remaining 8?  Yeah, makes sense.  I just can't help but wonder whether we have actually seen who some of the remaining agents are and just don't realize that they are actually agents, or if they are all new characters that have not yet been introduced.  Probably a mix of both, I assume.  It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple of "whoa!  THAT GUY/GIRL is a Cylon??  Now way!  I never saw that coming!" moments in store.  But probably some new characters as well.  I love how they drop little hints throughout that constantly have you guessing about whether certain people are or aren't. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #633 on: September 04, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »
Hard to say much without giving suggestions to how things play out, but I'm looking forward to your reactions regarding the issue.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:35:18 PM by yorost »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #634 on: September 04, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
Yeah, we cannot talk about the remaining 8 without inducing spoilers.

But regarding Tigh, as he said to Adama, if you don't hate the XO then he's not doing his job! Even with his flaws, I fucking love Tigh! But I actually like pretty much all the characters except for Helo and another character that hasn't made an appearance in the episodes you've seen.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #635 on: September 04, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »
Tigh is the best.

Except for season four.  But we don't speak of that.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #636 on: September 04, 2012, 12:34:38 PM »
But regarding Tigh, as he said to Adama, if you don't hate the XO then he's not doing his job!

In real life, this is true, for the most part.  But it shouldn't be true for the reasons that I hate Tigh.  If you are a miltary guy, you should hate the XO because he is the "bad cop" who executes on all the stuff that makes the military unit run like the well-oiled "machine" that it needs to be.  You shouldn't hate the XO because he is a blind tyrant who has poor leadership skills.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #637 on: September 04, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »

Make sure you catch the webisodes as they were aired, too.  They're not clearly advertised as to when to watch them on the boxsets.  There was one set leading up to season 3, which is a special somewhere in the boxset.  There was also a set between 4 and 4.5 which is not on the boxsets due to studio heads getting pissy about paying for content not aired on tv (or something).

There were also webisodes related to Razor, but it was just deleted scenes mixed with some that made the final cut.  Skip those or wait until after Razor.  They were kind of odd, in how they did it, and spoilerish for Razor.  It was as if they had extra film and used it for hype, rather than the two mentioned above which were planned out for specific storytelling purposes in relation to the series.
If he picks up Razor with the season 4 boxset it includes a version of Razor with those webisodes thrown in.
That's the unrated extended edition, which still does not include all of the content found in the webisodes.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #638 on: September 04, 2012, 12:41:15 PM »

Make sure you catch the webisodes as they were aired, too.  They're not clearly advertised as to when to watch them on the boxsets.  There was one set leading up to season 3, which is a special somewhere in the boxset.  There was also a set between 4 and 4.5 which is not on the boxsets due to studio heads getting pissy about paying for content not aired on tv (or something).

There were also webisodes related to Razor, but it was just deleted scenes mixed with some that made the final cut.  Skip those or wait until after Razor.  They were kind of odd, in how they did it, and spoilerish for Razor.  It was as if they had extra film and used it for hype, rather than the two mentioned above which were planned out for specific storytelling purposes in relation to the series.
That's the unrated extended edition, which still does not include all of the content found in the webisodes.
Well I didn't know that. I own the version that came with the Blu-ray complete series box set, so I guess it's the same one.

This series on Blu-ray looks just completely stunning, by the way.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #639 on: September 04, 2012, 06:14:56 PM »
This has been bothering me all day.  In doing a quick Google search to find some of the information in my above post, I stumbled upon something I didn't want to see.  I have a hard time fathoming how it could be true, but given the source, it must be.  Stupid, stupid bosk.  :facepalm:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #640 on: September 04, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »
I can pretty much guess what it relates to and why would you do that?!?!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #641 on: September 04, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »
Very stupid bosk1.  Keep in mind, they didn't know who the 8 were at the point you are in the series.  ...and I'm glad I saw the series as it unfolded, avoiding spoilers can be very hard.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #642 on: September 04, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »
I can pretty much guess what it relates to and why would you do that?!?!

I was trying to look up Boomer's model number because I had forgotten it.  Should have been fine, since I was just doing a word search in the article I found so that I could zoom right in on that info without reading the whole thing.  I wasn't counting on there being pictures.  :lolpalm:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #643 on: September 04, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »
Number 8! You should have asked here first! :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #644 on: September 04, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »
I KNOW BUT I WAS TRYING TO SOUND ALL SMART AND IMPRESSIVE IN MY POST BY KNOWING THAT!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #645 on: September 04, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »
You could have just watched the episode where she's called "number ??".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #646 on: September 04, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »
Not while I'm at work and trying to just type a quick post.

But, fine.  Here's the deal.  If it actually turns out to be true, then when it is finally revealed, I'll act all surprised, okay?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #647 on: September 04, 2012, 06:57:53 PM »
It would be amusing if what you saw was wrong.  Just about every character was speculated to be cylon as people tried to figure it out.  I'm guessing this is going to be a total mindfuck for you for awhile, though. :lol
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:06:43 PM by yorost »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #648 on: September 04, 2012, 07:04:26 PM »
Look up nothing BSG related on the internet.  It's all laced with spoilers.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #649 on: September 04, 2012, 07:24:36 PM »
It would be amusing if what you saw was wrong.  Just about every character was speculated to be cylon as people tried to figure it out.  I'm guessing this is going to be a total mindfuck for you for awhile, though. :lol

Yeah, I hope it's wrong as well.  I still don't even see how it is even possible.  But it was on battlestarwiki, so I'm thinking chances are, it's not wrong.  :(  I really was trying to avoid spoilers too, and knowing the risks of looking online, I've been pretty careful.  Again, I just ctrl+F'd to scroll right to what I was looking for.  If it wasn't for the pics, I would have been fine.  Oh well.

And, Reap, I got your PM.  Not sure how you could do what you are proposing without spoiling even more, but thanks.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #650 on: September 04, 2012, 07:26:21 PM »
Look up nothing BSG related on the internet.  It's all laced with spoilers.

Truth. :lol

I really hate Tigh now.  I was starting to like him until his wife showed up.  He is a very well-written character, but one that it is just impossible to like after seeing such deep and despicable character flaws on display since Ellen appeared and Adama Sr. went down.  It wouldn't surprise me if the writers somewhat redeem him at some point, but for now, I really can't stand his character.

I'd say something, but that would spoiler you even further.  Suffice to say that, yeah, Tigh's behavior with Ellen around is reprehensible but I still LOVE the character.  I had SUCH a love/hate relationship with Tigh through the whole series, but honestly?  The writing was so stellar on BSG that I couldn't HELP but love him.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #651 on: September 04, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »
And, Reap, I got your PM.  Not sure how you could do what you are proposing without spoiling even more, but thanks.

I know the series way too well.  And I'm a genius.

EDIT:  Also, I had something semi-important spoiled for me ahead of time and it basically didn't matter, because I didn't know how the thing I saw happened.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:40:37 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #652 on: September 04, 2012, 07:41:52 PM »
PM sent.  Probably best if you don't respond, but...oh well.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #653 on: September 04, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »
Don't respond Reap, no good can come of it. :lol

On Tigh, though, he is my favourite character on the show.  Tough to really like him, but the character is easy to love.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #654 on: September 04, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »
On Tigh, though, he is my favourite character on the show.  Tough to really like him, but the character is easy to love.

While I don't think he's my favorite, I definitely came to love the character very much.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #655 on: September 04, 2012, 08:00:12 PM »
Who were your favourites (assuming no spoilers for bosk1)?  I think Tigh and Baltar were my two favourites overall.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #656 on: September 04, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »
Baltar was a great character. However my favorite character is someone that (it seems) everyone else doesn't like very much. And in case Bosk has not encountered the character yet, because I forgot when they show up, I will not name them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #657 on: September 04, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »
Jumble all the letters but the initials.  ootrs  miad  ???

Online Adami

« Reply #658 on: September 04, 2012, 08:16:29 PM »
Jumble all the letters but the initials.  ootrs  miad  ???

I'm sorry, I am not very good at decryption, so I have no clue who Ootrs Maid is, especially since it's probably a character that I can't remember at the very moment.

I could I guess write it in tiny font. Bosk, is that okay with you? Knowing my luck you're probably already familiar with this person and this is all for naught.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #659 on: September 04, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »
y(ootrs) A(miad)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #660 on: September 04, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
Adama - In a strange way, I respect and admire this character.
Tigh - Probably the most rewarding character.
Lee - I like Lee, I cared about Lee, but he was never one of my favorites.
Starbuck - Ooohhhh..... Starbuck.........  Sorry.
Baltar - Maybe the most relatable character.  Fascinating.  Goes to the most interesting emotional places.
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #661 on: September 04, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »
y(ootrs) A(miad)

Well that makes more sense. I didn't know we were to leave out the initials.

Sure I'll give that a try.

rhaon naohtg.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #662 on: September 04, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »
Yeah, that character had some real highlights for good while.  They certainly had a tough lot to deal with, very easy to sympathize with.  There were likely points during the series where that character was in my top two, just not overall.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #663 on: September 04, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »
I feel bad for Bosk.  He has yet to see the glory that is terohr ialv yet.
Over and over again

Online Adami

« Reply #664 on: September 04, 2012, 08:39:09 PM »
I also quite liked Leoben.

fanticide.bandcamp.com