Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 165690 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #665 on: September 04, 2012, 08:41:29 PM »
I feel bad for Bosk.  He has yet to see the glory that is terohr ialv yet.
Soon, though, very soon. :)  Those first few scenes involving terohr ialv are always really easy for me to picture, very well done.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #666 on: September 04, 2012, 09:34:15 PM »
:lolpalm:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #667 on: September 04, 2012, 10:26:13 PM »
I hate anagrams, I must know who you guys are talking about but I'm really bad with them!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #668 on: September 04, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »
Terohr Ailv!  TEROHR AILV!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #669 on: September 04, 2012, 10:44:57 PM »
Terohr Ailv!  TEROHR AILV!!!

I don't mean to sound rude, but unless I am very confused.....shouldn't that be Terahr Ailv?

Edit: Nevermind, Yorost cleared it up. Thank you Yorost.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #670 on: September 04, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »
I must be very tired, because I was able to figure out Adami's one but not this one.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #671 on: September 04, 2012, 11:00:40 PM »
I must be very tired, because I was able to figure out Adami's one but not this one.

I would suggest just focusing on the last name.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #672 on: September 05, 2012, 02:48:53 AM »

This exactly.

Who were your favourites (assuming no spoilers for bosk1)?  I think Tigh and Baltar were my two favourites overall.

Adama
Tigh
Starbuck
Baltar
Six
Leoben

I also quite liked Leoben.

Me too.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #673 on: September 05, 2012, 07:07:08 AM »
Ah, Terorh Ailv is awesome indeed.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #674 on: September 05, 2012, 08:07:09 AM »
Wow, so...Simon.  Interesting character.  They didn't even really try to hide that he was a Cylon.  What exactly did they do to Starbuck while she was drugged up that gave her that extra scar?  Hmm...  Well, at least we now know she does in fact have the arrow and has a means of getting back to the fleet.  But there are a few flaws I see in the plan to return.  First off, why not go back and pick up the raider from wherever Sharon left it?  They may need it for future use.  Starbuck could fly the raider back and Sharon and Helo could fly the bigger craft that Sharon retreived.  Second, they know Sharon is a Cylong.  But they are bringing her into the fleet.  How exactly is that going to work?  Especially after another copy of her model already tried to take out Adama, thereby plunging the fleet into chaos. 

You know, for that matter, the plan to return to earth is somewhat flawed as well.  Or at the very least, there are unanswered questions.  What if the humans there don't want company--especially company that may likely be followed by a race of machines with the capability of nuclear annihilation of a planet's population?  What if they have nuked each other and rendered earth uninhabitable?  What if the Cylons follow and the people of earth don't have the technological means of defending themselves?  What if the Cylons have already gotten there?  After all, by now, they know that's where the fleet are hoping to go.  And they probably knew it LONG before they even launched the attack.  What with the whole "this has all happened before and will all happen again" prophecy, the Cylons probably not only know where earth is, but have chased humans there in times past.  So, yeah, it seems there are a lot of VERY important unanswered questions to be answered/dealt with if the colonials are smart.  Not like they have better options, since pretty much the only other option seems to be just randomly drifting along in space.  So I get why going to earth seems like the best option.

Tigh - Probably the most rewarding character.

Here's my beef with Tigh.  And a lot of this comes with my military background, but still.  As a leader, you DON'T lead simply by bullying others and demanding respect and obedience.  A good leader doesn't treat his subordinates as insignificant.  And a good leader doesn't hide behind a bottle.  Tigh is completely unfit to be the XO of any command, much less a capitol military vessel.  He is unfit to lead.  And the fact that he is an alcoholic garners him many negative respect points.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #675 on: September 05, 2012, 08:19:46 AM »
Of course Tigh is completely unfit for his position.  He was there because of Adama, hidden in a military being mothballed.  The whole situation just brought his unfit nature to the forefront, but humanity is hanging on by a thread and has little choice but to stick with what they have.  There's no indication his flaws were widely on display in peace.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #676 on: September 05, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »
Oh, I get all that.  I'm just saying that those flaws prevent me from getting behind him in any real sense. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #677 on: September 05, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »
Regarding your first point about Sharon, Starbuck and Helo... keep watching.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #678 on: September 05, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »

Oh, I'm sure.  That HAS TO be dealt with in the next few episodes.  I'm just kind of "laughing" out loud at the obvious flaws in the plan.  But the more minor point of not bringing back the raider was also a flaw in their plan that could easily have been remedied.  Again, minor point, but I can't help but wonder whether Adama or Tigh will be angry about that.  Well, then again, just thinking out loud here, but they may not really have the chance to do anything about that anyway, I suppose.  I mean, as of right now, only part of the fleet that is following Roslyn is at Kobol.  The Galactica is off at the rally point with the rest of the fleet.  Starbuck is going to go back to Kobol and is likely going to go straight to the president.  Upon learning that the fleet has at least temporarily split into factions, her loyalty will be tested, and I am assuming she will at least temporarily side with Roslyn despite her military background.  Of course, I guess it's possible that a monkey wrench could get thrown in if Boomer knows through her Cylon connections that the rest of the fleet is at the rally point and she chooses to lead Starbuck and Helo there for some reason.  Hmm...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: September 05, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »

Oh, I'm sure.  That HAS TO be dealt with in the next few episodes.  I'm just kind of "laughing" out loud at the obvious flaws in the plan.  But the more minor point of not bringing back the raider was also a flaw in their plan that could easily have been remedied.  Again, minor point, but I can't help but wonder whether Adama or Tigh will be angry about that.  Well, then again, just thinking out loud here, but they may not really have the chance to do anything about that anyway, I suppose.  I mean, as of right now, only part of the fleet that is following Roslyn is at Kobol.  The Galactica is off at the rally point with the rest of the fleet.  Starbuck is going to go back to Kobol and is likely going to go straight to the president.  Upon learning that the fleet has at least temporarily split into factions, her loyalty will be tested, and I am assuming she will at least temporarily side with Roslyn despite her military background.  Of course, I guess it's possible that a monkey wrench could get thrown in if Boomer knows through her Cylon connections that the rest of the fleet is at the rally point and she chooses to lead Starbuck and Helo there for some reason.  Hmm...

Nuggetz

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #680 on: September 06, 2012, 11:36:41 AM »
Heh.  No more new eposides until this w/e, most likely, as I have to prep. for a presentation at a meeting tomorrow morning, which means I'll likely be up late tonight.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #681 on: September 14, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »
Wow.  So...Pegagsus.  Cain.  Another iteration of Number 6.  Interesting times aboard the fleet.  I just finished Pegasus pt. 1.  Haven't watched pt. 2 yet.  So Chief and Helo have been court martialled and are scheduled to be executed, and Adama is disobeying orders to get them back.  If not for the fact that I am sure Cain will continue as a character, it's tempting to speculate that her XO might whip out her service weapon and put a bullet in her head, as he told Tigh that she did to the former XO.  That would be awesome, and since I hate her, it would be fitting.  But I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna happen.  Anyhow...

So, Cylon count so far.  Here's who we know:
-No. 2:  (Leoben)  No copies in the fleet right now, at least that we know of.  Last one was flushed out the airlock by Roslyn.
-No. 3 (D'Anna Biers):  Not sure if the copy watching the "Galactica documentary" with the No. 5 and No. 6 copies was the same copy that was in the fleet or not, but we have now seen 1 or 2 copies of her.  However, the humans don't yet know she is a Cylon.  I wonder what fate awaits her in the story.
-No. 4 (Simon):  2 copies were shown in Caprica; both were killed. 
-No. 5:  (Doral)   Again, none in the fleet as far as we know, but at least one other copy makes regular appearances in monitoring progress with "the plan," whatever it is.
-No. 6:  Yeah...
-No. 8:  (Sharon)  Just unleashed a virus that incapacitated the Cylon attack force that was coming after the fleet and helped disable the virus that was trying to take over Galactica.  The Lt. from Pegasus who tried to interrogate her was just killed by Chief and Helo, making for interesting times.  She seems to be a very diverse model with lots of different personalities.

So, 6 revealed so far; 6 (or maybe more?) to go.  The stuff going on right now with Pegasus joining the fleet (or, as Cain would likely see it instead, the fleet joining Pegasus) seems like it is going to bring some things to a head, which may very likely mean more revelations soon.  Can't wait.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the Pegasus vs. Galactica power struggle turns out.  Since Roslyn is the president, and assuming the fictitious Colonial governmen functions similarly to our own, in which case Roslyn is Commander In Chief of the military, I would love it if she ended the whole conflict by simply promoting Adama and appointing him fleet admiral so that he would outrank Cain.  And while we're talking about Adama, I also can't help but come back to The Note.  I really hope it is eventually revealed who left him the note and why rather than it just being a loose end that gets dropped rather than tied up.  I have a feeling it will be resolved eventually.  But it's interesting that the show has been silent about it.  Since it was revealed that there are 12 models, I have been obsessing about keeping track of how many have been revealed and what we know about them.  It seems odd that Adama has not done the same.  I would expect him to be keeping his own talley and trying to investigate what other models could be lurking out there in the fleet.  Oh well.  I'm sure more is coming soon...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:41:19 PM by bosk1 »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #682 on: September 14, 2012, 12:00:44 PM »
Controversial (I assume) opinion: Cain is the series' best character.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #683 on: September 14, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »
The Pegasus arc is one of the best parts of the series.  One of the toughest balances the show had to maintain was the balance between cool/intriguing/exciting sci-fi concepts and a sense of maturity and seriousness given the issues it wanted to tackle.  Pegasus pulls this off almost perfectly.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #684 on: September 14, 2012, 12:12:17 PM »
Controversial (I assume) opinion: Cain is the series' best character.

Hate her.  She's the epitome of the hard-charging, all guts no brains cardboard cutout military commander. 

But as for the Pegasus arc, I'm looking forward to seeing the Pegasus and Galactica tear it up on some big mission.  It's fairly obvious to me what the big ship probably is in the Cylon fleet they have been following.  If they knock it out, and if it is a one-of-a-kind, that could be a serious turning point in the war.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #685 on: September 14, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »
Just keep watching.......the Pegasus arc is my favorite in the entire series

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #686 on: September 14, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »
Just keep watching...

Oh, okay.  That actually hadn't occurred to me, but now that you mention it, I think I will.  Thanks.  :tup

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #687 on: September 14, 2012, 12:26:04 PM »
I loved the Pegasus arc!

Also, do you mind if we tell you Simon's and Biers' model number? I mean it's not that big of a deal what they're number is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #688 on: September 14, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »
No, that's fine.  I want to know, but just don't want to make the same mistake I made last time.  :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #689 on: September 14, 2012, 12:29:50 PM »
Deanna is 3 and Simon 4.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #690 on: September 14, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »
Cool.  Edited my post above.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: September 14, 2012, 01:28:36 PM »
All of this is really making me want to watch the show again.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: September 14, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »
All of this is really making me want to watch the show again.

Same here. And since I already bought them all, maybe I might.

Also, I think the entire series wound up being like $60 combined for me. Gotta love Amazon.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #693 on: September 14, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »
Yeah, I got it cheap as well.  I've spent $35 for seasons 1 and 2.  The place I got it from has all of season 3 pretty cheap as well.  And my boss loaned me season 4, so that's free.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #694 on: September 14, 2012, 05:31:36 PM »
I'm bored.  Tempted to just say "screw it" and log onto BSGwiki and read the entire site.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: September 14, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »
Don't do it!  Resist!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #696 on: September 14, 2012, 06:21:16 PM »
Noooo, you'll regret it big time!  Don't spoiler yourself!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #697 on: September 14, 2012, 08:31:43 PM »
I'm bored.  Tempted to just say "screw it" and log onto BSGwiki and read the entire site.
Terrible idea.

Don't give in!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #698 on: September 14, 2012, 10:03:48 PM »
That's a great idea bosk! Do it AFTER you finish the show!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: September 15, 2012, 06:11:59 AM »
To ditto what all the others are saying, after the show's finished there will still be a number of things you'll wish they went into more detail about. So, yeah, do it then!